PDA

View Full Version : The draft and the QB's

X-Era
03-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Intrigue will surround the Bills in the draft this year because we all know they will be drafting a QB, are likely to even start the rookie, and it's highly likely we will draft one early.

Will Geno Smith or Matt Barkley fall to us at 8? Will both?
Will Tyler Wilson be our choice at 8?
Will we move back up from the second round to draft Ryan Nassib? Do we need to?

Let's look at who needs QB's and who's picking in front of us:

KC- No, Alex Smith assured us they won't do it in round 1. Round 2 may still be possible.
Oakland- Maybe, but it really depends on what they do with Carson Palmer
Jaguars- Maybe, really depends on whether they will risk the egg on their face by giving up on Gabbert so early
Eagles- No, but apparently Chip Kelly may want a prospect to develop. I still think they won't draft a QB in the 1st.
Cards- Yes, I don't see the legit starter that makes them think they can just ignore it.
Browns- Maybe to yes, Another situation where they would be giving up on a guy they took early just a few years ago

Teams after us with QB needs:

Jets- They are in the market and it's the Jets who traded up for a one year college wonder in Sanchez. They will be drafting one.

So we have 5 teams in front of us who may be interested in round 1 (KC is out). 7 teams total that could take one before our 2nd round pick. One thing that's likely is that no team will take 2 in the first 2 rounds. So it may be 14 spots to watch but really it's 7 teams since no one will take 2. 7 is really the magic number.

To me, the Bills are probably thinking 4 prospects are worthy to be drafted by their 2nd rounder. Geno, Barkley, Wilson, and Nassib.

So 7 teams before our 2nd rounder and 4 players. It's possible that if we wait until our 2nd rounder all will be gone. But the odds aren't terrible.

But, if we want to take one at 8, we will are almost guaranteed to get one of the top 4. Unless all 5 teams take a QB which I think is highly unlikely to almost guaranteed not to happen.

I think the Bills will not move up from 8. They may move down but finding a willing partner may be tough. And the Jets need a QB as well and are right behind us.

My gut tells me this:

Geno Smith and Matt Barkley won't fall to 8. I think it's 50/50 on one of them being there and 50/50 on who. I think teams may like Barkley better as a pro-style passer. And if a team like the Cards thinks that way, Barkley may get drafted before Geno. The opposite is also true. Teams like the Eagles or Raiders may love Geno's athleticism and see that Geno is not a run first QB like but is patient enough in going through progressions as a passer. Barkley may fall to us.

Tyler Wilson will be there and may be the choice. I think that he will be there but we still may go another direction. And that if we don't take Wilson at 8 we will move down in the 1st or up from the 2nd for Nassib.

I think it's either Tyler Wilson at 8 or a move down or up into the later 1st for Nassib.

One of those 2 QB's will be our next QB.

Just my guess.

better days
03-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Intrigue will surround the Bills in the draft this year because we all know they will be drafting a QB, are likely to even start the rookie, and it's highly likely we will draft one early.

Will Geno Smith or Matt Barkley fall to us at 8? Will both?
Will Tyler Wilson be our choice at 8?
Will we move back up from the second round to draft Ryan Nassib? Do we need to?

Let's look at who needs QB's and who's picking in front of us:

KC- No, Alex Smith assured us they won't do it in round 1. Round 2 may still be possible.
Oakland- Maybe, but it really depends on what they do with Carson Palmer
Jaguars- Maybe, really depends on whether they will risk the egg on their face by giving up on Gabbert so early
Eagles- No, but apparently Chip Kelly may want a prospect to develop. I still think they won't draft a QB in the 1st.
Cards- Yes, I don't see the legit starter that makes them think they can just ignore it.
Browns- Maybe to yes, Another situation where they would be giving up on a guy they took early just a few years ago

Teams after us with QB needs:

Jets- They are in the market and it's the Jets who traded up for a one year college wonder in Sanchez. They will be drafting one.

So we have 5 teams in front of us who may be interested in round 1 (KC is out). 7 teams total that could take one before our 2nd round pick. One thing that's likely is that no team will take 2 in the first 2 rounds. So it may be 14 spots to watch but really it's 7 teams since no one will take 2. 7 is really the magic number.

To me, the Bills are probably thinking 4 prospects are worthy to be drafted by their 2nd rounder. Geno, Barkley, Wilson, and Nassib.

So 7 teams before our 2nd rounder and 4 players. It's possible that if we wait until our 2nd rounder all will be gone. But the odds aren't terrible.

But, if we want to take one at 8, we will are almost guaranteed to get one of the top 4. Unless all 5 teams take a QB which I think is highly unlikely to almost guaranteed not to happen.

I think the Bills will not move up from 8. They may move down but finding a willing partner may be tough. And the Jets need a QB as well and are right behind us.

My gut tells me this:

Geno Smith and Matt Barkley won't fall to 8. I think it's 50/50 on one of them being there and 50/50 on who. I think teams may like Barkley better as a pro-style passer. And if a team like the Cards thinks that way, Barkley may get drafted before Geno. The opposite is also true. Teams like the Eagles or Raiders may love Geno's athleticism and see that Geno is not a run first QB like but is patient enough in going through progressions as a passer. Barkley may fall to us.

Tyler Wilson will be there and may be the choice. I think that he will be there but we still may go another direction. And that if we don't take Wilson at 8 we will move down in the 1st or up from the 2nd for Nassib.

I think it's either Tyler Wilson at 8 or a move down or up into the later 1st for Nassib.

One of those 2 QB's will be our next QB.

Just my guess.

I think it is very possible for the Raiders to draft Geno & the Cards to draft Barkley. If that happens, the Bills need to draft their QB at 8 because as you said, many teams need a QB.

I would not be surprised to see the Bucs draft a QB in the 2nd rnd, maybe move up to the top of the 2nd to get one.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 09:23 AM
I think it is very possible for the Raiders to draft Geno & the Cards to draft Barkley. If that happens, the Bills need to draft their QB at 8 because as you said, many teams need a QB.

I would not be surprised to see the Bucs draft a QB in the 2nd rnd, maybe move up to the top of the 2nd to get one.I think the Buc's are a fringe team for a QB. I don't take them very seriously as looking at a QB in an early round.

better days
03-16-2013, 09:27 AM
I think the Buc's are a fringe team for a QB. I don't take them very seriously as looking at a QB in an early round.

I agree they are a fringe team for a QB, but I think it is possible.

Albany,n.y.
03-16-2013, 09:54 AM

I would not be surprised to see the Bucs draft a QB in the 2nd rnd, maybe move up to the top of the 2nd to get one.
So if the top 2 QBs are gone, you want the team to draft one of the remaining slugs in a weak QB draft with the 8th pick because another team below us might be crazy enough to reach for a guy who has no business being taken in the 1st round? That doesn't make a lot of sense. It reminds me of the time the Jets were desperate to draft Brett Favre & didn't have a 1st round pick. They went crazy trying to trade up from their 2nd round pick & failed to find a trade partner. Farve was drafted 1 pick before them. So, they decided to just draft the next QB on their board, Browning Nagle. Or the time the Bills wanted to trade up for Ben Roethlisberger & couldn't find a trade partner, so later in the 1st round they moved up to draft JP Losman.
When a team can't draft the QB they want, the worst thing they can do is just move down their board & draft the next QB with their next pick regardless of the difference in talent between the 2. If Smith & Barkley are gone by #8, the last thing the Bills should do is draft a QB there just because other teams also need a QB. At that point the only thing to do is take a flyer later in the draft & if the guy doesn't play lights out in camp & win the job, wait until next year's draft/free agency.
The Bills have screwed up so many opportunities in the past decade, that it's better to wait another year than make a move that is a panic move just because the retiring GM wants to get the team a QB before he leaves. When Peyton Manning went off the board at #1, it didn't make Ryan Leaf his equal just because he was the next QB available-that's the reality of the NFL draft-when a player gets drafted, there may be a huge dropoff to the next guy available. Only the bad teams jump on the next guy just because he won't be available the next time they pick.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 10:07 AM
So if the top 2 QBs are gone, you want the team to draft one of the remaining slugs in a weak QB draft with the 8th pick because another team below us might be crazy enough to reach for a guy who has no business being taken in the 1st round? That doesn't make a lot of sense. It reminds me of the time the Jets were desperate to draft Brett Favre & didn't have a 1st round pick. They went crazy trying to trade up from their 2nd round pick & failed to find a trade partner. Farve was drafted 1 pick before them. So, they decided to just draft the next QB on their board, Browning Nagle. Or the time the Bills wanted to trade up for Ben Roethlisberger & couldn't find a trade partner, so later in the 1st round they moved up to draft JP Losman.
When a team can't draft the QB they want, the worst thing they can do is just move down their board & draft the next QB with their next pick regardless of the difference in talent between the 2. If Smith & Barkley are gone by #8, the last thing the Bills should do is draft a QB there just because other teams also need a QB. At that point the only thing to do is take a flyer later in the draft & if the guy doesn't play lights out in camp & win the job, wait until next year's draft/free agency.
The Bills have screwed up so many opportunities in the past decade, that it's better to wait another year than make a move that is a panic move just because the retiring GM wants to get the team a QB before he leaves. When Peyton Manning went off the board at #1, it didn't make Ryan Leaf his equal just because he was the next QB available-that's the reality of the NFL draft-when a player gets drafted, there may be a huge dropoff to the next guy available. Only the bad teams jump on the next guy just because he won't be available the next time they pick.So if some other team wants to draft one of the two guys before our 2nd rounder were crazy?

Every year we go through this. The other teams determine where players will be drafted as much as we do.

If you don't feel any QB is worthy of either of our top two picks, you're entitled. But other teams and probably the Bills disagree with you. No one is crazy. That's the way it is and the teams determine that, not the fans.

The Bills won't be moving up for one of the other two because other teams need QB's. They will be moving up to ensure they get on of the guys they want this year.

And I don't see any huge drop off's this year. The top 4 guys are not too dis-similar in grade IMO.

Put it this way. The part that seems to make no sense to you has nothing to do with what the Bills may do to get one of the other top 2 QB's. It has to do with ANY team drafting any of the other 2 in the 1st round... You have an issue with where these players will get drafted vs. where you think they should be drafted.

And my point is the league overdrafts QB's almost every year and if you want one early you are sometimes forced to overdraft one like everyone else. Just the way it is. I don't really like it any more than you do. I just accept it.

better days
03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
The Bills have screwed up so many opportunities in the past decade, that it's better to wait another year than make a move that is a panic move just because the retiring GM wants to get the team a QB before he leaves. When Peyton Manning went off the board at #1, it didn't make Ryan Leaf his equal just because he was the next QB available-that's the reality of the NFL draft-when a player gets drafted, there may be a huge dropoff to the next guy available. Only the bad teams jump on the next guy just because he won't be available the next time they pick.

It would make no sense to draft a slug at #8. Nix has said however two or three QBs could be GOOD QBs in this class. If he thinks that the 3rd QB could be GOOD, then it makes all the sense in the world to draft him at #8.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 10:13 AM
It would make no sense to draft a slug at #8. Nix has said however two or three QBs could be GOOD QBs in this class. If he thinks that the 3rd QB could be GOOD, then it makes all the sense in the world to draft him at #8.
I don't remember him saying just three. I thought he said a few.

better days
03-16-2013, 10:56 AM
I don't remember him saying just three. I thought he said a few.

He may have said that at another time. I know in one interview I heard, he said that he thought 2 or 3 QBs in this class could seperate themselves from the rest, become good QBs & win a lot of games.

X-Era
03-16-2013, 10:58 AM
He may have said that at another time. I know in one interview I heard, he said that he thought 2 or 3 QBs in this class could seperate themselves from the rest, become good QBs & win a lot of games.I'll research it... I'm bored. :D:

SABURZFAN
03-16-2013, 12:20 PM
if the Bills draft a QB at #8, it'll probably be TWO decades the Bills don't reach the playoffs.

Mike
03-18-2013, 04:19 AM
if the Bills draft a QB at #8, it'll probably be TWO decades the Bills don't reach the playoffs.

Lol.. At least some fans will be happy that a QB was drafted never mind if he was deserving of the selection. Its often best not to rush things and make choices out of desperation. If the girl you really wanted moved out of town, would you settle down with a the crazy girl who has had a crush on your for years, or would you wait for the right one?

swiper
03-18-2013, 04:56 AM

I think it all depends on how many QBs are taken before their pick at #8.

X-Era
03-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Lol.. At least some fans will be happy that a QB was drafted never mind if he was deserving of the selection. Its often best not to rush things and make choices out of desperation. If the girl you really wanted moved out of town, would you settle down with a the crazy girl who has had a crush on your for years, or would you wait for the right one?
I don't know. Ask the Fins:

Sage Rosenfels
John Beck
Chad Henne
Ryan Tannehill

...I guess the woman you really wanted moved back into town. But the jury's till out as to whether she's crazy.

YardRat
03-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Still think (OK, admittedly somewhat hoping) the reach is in the second round, not the first.

DraftBoy
03-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Three additional things to consider;
1-The Raiders have to see what they have in Pryor. He's not Dennis Allen's guy but he's too physically talented for them to just write him off.
2-The Cardinals signed Drew Stanton last week and indications are they told him he'd have a shot to compete for the starting job which usually indicates no Top 10 QB
3-All reports have said if the Cards go QB it will be Barkley over any other QB.

Personally...of the Top 8 teams the only teams I see going QB in Round 1 are Arizona, and Buffalo. I think Jacksonville and Cleveland goes defense, and Philly goes OT. Which means Geno Smith is likely there at 8 for the picking and I think they would take him in that scenario.

better days
03-18-2013, 08:18 AM
1-The Raiders have to see what they have in Pryor. He's not Dennis Allen's guy but he's too physically talented for them to just write him off.
2-The Cardinals signed Drew Stanton last week and indications are they told him he'd have a shot to compete for the starting job which usually indicates no Top 10 QB
3-All reports have said if the Cards go QB it will be Barkley over any other QB.

Personally...of the Top 8 teams the only teams I see going QB in Round 1 are Arizona, and Buffalo. I think Jacksonville and Cleveland goes defense, and Philly goes OT. Which means Geno Smith is likely there at 8 for the picking and I think they would take him in that scenario.

1. Geno has a similar skill set as Pryor. If the Raiders draft him, they can run the same offense with either QB. Let the best man win & the other will be the back up. Both will be Cheap for a few years.

2& 3. If the Cards take a QB, Barkley makes sense for the Cards.

DraftBoy
03-18-2013, 08:53 AM
1. Geno has a similar skill set as Pryor. If the Raiders draft him, they can run the same offense with either QB. Let the best man win & the other will be the back up. Both will be Cheap for a few years.

2& 3. If the Cards take a QB, Barkley makes sense for the Cards.

1. No he doesn't.
2. Agreed, will fit nicely in the Arians system.

mjt328
03-18-2013, 08:54 AM
It's hard to tell what these teams REALLY think about the quarterback class.

This is the time of year where smokescreens/misinformation is getting thrown out all over the place. GMs are trying to hide their true intentions, and want to see if they can scare other teams into becoming trade partners. The media has been taking a collective dump on these QBs for 2-3 months now. But as usual, the private pro days are getting the "experts" are changing their tune.

Personally, I think this is a very unusual draft class. Not bad. Just unusual.
There are probably 8-9 quarterback prospects with the skills to become good or even great starters in this league. You usually don't see that many in a single year. But each prospect also seems to have at least one glaring flaw that must get corrected at the next level for them to be successful. Opinions on whether these QBs can fix those flaws is all over the place. That makes it extremely tough to determine what teams are thinking.

For example, I think Matt Barkley is probably the most conflicting QB in the draft. One guy says he's a Top 10 prospect. The next guy thinks he's a Day 3 guy.
Out of all the prospects, Barkley is the only one with significant experience in an under-center NFL offense. He's got the best mechanics and best overall accuracy out of all the guys available. He's got a quick release and can make plays moving in the pocket. But his decision making at times is baffling, and it often comes late in games. Personally, he reminds me of Tony Romo.

ServoBillieves
03-18-2013, 09:57 AM

I sacked Pryor in freshman year... a date which will live in infamy (his team was awful). That being said I've closely followed his career, and he really is a very talented athlete but his intelligence on the field and off is just a huge red flag. He's a good guy, don't get me wrong, but if your team has all that psycho-analysis crap going on the guy is 95% committed to football. Palmer will be their guy.

Stanton was a shocker, but then I looked at the abominations they had at QB and thought that maybe this will really be his chance (Brian Brohm, to those who thought that back then).

There will be a scramble from 7-17 for a QB, we just so happened to beat the team in front of us. Life of a Bills fan.

better days
03-18-2013, 11:50 AM
1. No he doesn't.
2. Agreed, will fit nicely in the Arians system.

1. Yeah he does. Both Geno & Pryor are MOBILE QBs.

swiper
03-18-2013, 12:15 PM

I just cannot see Arizona risking Matt Leinert, part Deux.

The Jokeman
03-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Prior rushed for more yards his freshman year than Geno did his entire three year career as a starter. While Geno has mobility but he's never much used it and/or had it part of his offense at WVU. Geno to me is a pocket passer first and foremost, I tag guys like EJ Manuel or Colin Klein as mobile.

TedMock
03-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Prior rushed for more yards his freshman year than Geno did his entire three year career as a starter. While Geno has mobility but he's never much used it and/or had it part of his offense at WVU. Geno to me is a pocket passer first and foremost, I tag guys like EJ Manuel or Colin Klein as mobile.

Smith is much more reluctant to run than Pryor ever was. Smith has very good feet in the pocket, but he uses them as he keeps his eyes downfield. Athletically, Pryor is bigger and faster. He was a 4.4 guy who was a fluid runner. Geno is not that fast and definitely not as good a runner. Smith has better poise and touch in my opinion.

DraftBoy
03-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Not really, and Geno barely uses his feet.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-18-2013, 02:01 PM

Would you wait by sitting in your apartment and hoping a hot one just climbs in the window, or would you actually go out and attempt to meet some?

Mike
03-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Would you wait by sitting in your apartment and hoping a hot one just climbs in the window, or would you actually go out and attempt to meet some?

I am sure you understand the analogy.... and just going out and meeting a bunch can be great fun but it does not mean that they are the right one either. Further, the draft happens once a year, so it might be more comparable to a soldier who gets stationed in Siberia for 11/12 months and goes home for that one month. Like the soldier, the Bills should at this time do everything in their power to meet the right one, but if none is there getting married to the crazy girls is just plain nuts. Its called settling.

fluteflakes
03-18-2013, 02:58 PM

No, Pryor is a running QB, Geno has mobility but prefers to stay in the pocket.

Geno ALSO has a good amount more zip on his passes. Pryors arm is severely lacking when it comes to putting zip on his throws. It's why he'll never be a full time starter IMO.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
I am sure you understand the analogy.... and just going out and meeting a bunch can be great fun but it does not mean that they are the right one either. Further, the draft happens once a year, so it might be more comparable to a soldier who gets stationed in Siberia for 11/12 months and goes home for that one month. Like the soldier, the Bills should at this time do everything in their power to meet the right one, but if none is there getting married to the crazy girls is just plain nuts. Its called settling.

But if you don't even attempt to meet any, you are going to be all alone touching yourself in Siberia for yet another year.

Actually that's a perfect analogy for Bills football.

better days
03-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Not really, and Geno barely uses his feet.

That was the offense he played in, but he has the mobility to move if need be. I'm pretty sure I heard he had the fastest 40 time of all the QBs at the Combine.

Mike
03-18-2013, 09:50 PM
But if you don't even attempt to meet any, you are going to be all alone touching yourself in Siberia for yet another year.

Actually that's a perfect analogy for Bills football.

It sounds like we agree. Its not a matter of effort or trying but a matter of not settling. And sometimes, as in life and in football, its better to pass up the ugly fat smelly chick at the end of the bar that has been eyeing you all night and be left to your devices than to settle and question yourself in the morning in the same way, it would have been better for the Bills to pass on JP Lossman after not being able to get the trade up for Big Ben.

DraftBoy
03-19-2013, 06:04 AM
That was the offense he played in, but he has the mobility to move if need be. I'm pretty sure I heard he had the fastest 40 time of all the QBs at the Combine.

No it wasn't Geno only spent two years in the Air Raid system and even in that system QB's like Case Keenum have been very dangerous with their feet. The system had nothing to do with Geno not wanting to run. He was the fastest QB at the combine but that doesn't mean anything.

X-Era
03-19-2013, 06:24 AM
No it wasn't Geno only spent two years in the Air Raid system and even in that system QB's like Case Keenum have been very dangerous with their feet. The system had nothing to do with Geno not wanting to run. He was the fastest QB at the combine but that doesn't mean anything.
If anything it means he's got better pocket poise than most athletic QB's who may pull it down quickly and just take off running.

better days
03-19-2013, 07:03 AM

It means he is MOBILE. He was in an offense that called for him to be a pocket passer, but he has the same skill set to play in the same offense Pryor does.

TedMock
03-19-2013, 10:08 AM
It means he is MOBILE. He was in an offense that called for him to be a pocket passer, but he has the same skill set to play in the same offense Pryor does.

They're really not similar QB's though. Geno Smith's 40 time means that he has good straight line speed. It doesn't mean he's a "mobile" QB as mobility includes more than just one direction. If you look at most of the successful runs he's had, they have been primarily straight line. Defense is spread out and a big hole opens up. Smith is absolutely fast enough to take one the distance if he has a straight path or one cut run. He his absolutely NOT the running QB that Pryor is. Pryor's style at Ohio State was much more of a runner. And I am not talking about the offense he played in. I am talking about the mentality. Pryor could fluidly change direction, juke and loved using a stiff arm which is not common for a QB. Being a 4.4 guy meant that Pryor also had the straight line speed as an added bonus. Smith is not as mobile laterally, he much more composed in the pocket and, in any offense, he is far more willing to let composure lead him.

I am NOT taking anything away from Smith or Pryor. Both are athletic in their own right. Pryor is just far more of a traditional athlete who is the bigger threat on the run. Geno is just more comfortable in the pocket and has better touch and composure. He has some mobility, but it will never be the reason he's successful.

To put it in perspective, another athletic QB who is not considered a running or "mobile" QB is Andrew Luck. He and Geno Smith ran the same 40 times at the combine. They also had the exact same broad jump. Luck's vertical was 3 inches higher than Smith's. Luck weighed 236 lbs, Smith weighed 218 lbs.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-19-2013, 10:29 AM

Being fast is only one component of being a good runner. If the 40 was all it took than Dorin Dickinson would be our halfback. Geno is quick and athletic, but I haven't really seen him with the kind of runner's vision of guys like Kaepernick or Wilson or even Pryor. If he gets flushed he can probably outrun a DE to the sidelines but I'm certainly not expecting him to make a ton of plays with his feet - and I'm certainly not designing plays where he is the designated ballcarrier.

better days
03-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Being fast is only one component of being a good runner. If the 40 was all it took than Dorin Dickinson would be our halfback. Geno is quick and athletic, but I haven't really seen him with the kind of runner's vision of guys like Kaepernick or Wilson or even Pryor. If he gets flushed he can probably outrun a DE to the sidelines but I'm certainly not expecting him to make a ton of plays with his feet - and I'm certainly not designing plays where he is the designated ballcarrier.

Well, I doubt the Raiders would design an offense where either QB runs as the played call. There is no other QB in this class that has a skill set as close to Pryor as Geno does. Certainly not Barkley.

DraftBoy
03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Well, I doubt the Raiders would design an offense where either QB runs as the played call. There is no other QB in this class that has a skill set as close to Pryor as Geno does. Certainly not Barkley.

Mike Hermann does actually.

TedMock
03-19-2013, 12:05 PM

I heard some TE speculation with him.

better days
03-19-2013, 12:21 PM

I was talking about the GOOD QBs. What round do you think Hermann is drafted in?

swiper
03-19-2013, 12:23 PM
They're really not similar QB's though. Geno Smith's 40 time means that he has good straight line speed. It doesn't mean he's a "mobile" QB as mobility includes more than just one direction. If you look at most of the successful runs he's had, they have been primarily straight line. Defense is spread out and a big hole opens up. Smith is absolutely fast enough to take one the distance if he has a straight path or one cut run. He his absolutely NOT the running QB that Pryor is. Pryor's style at Ohio State was much more of a runner. And I am not talking about the offense he played in. I am talking about the mentality. Pryor could fluidly change direction, juke and loved using a stiff arm which is not common for a QB. Being a 4.4 guy meant that Pryor also had the straight line speed as an added bonus. Smith is not as mobile laterally, he much more composed in the pocket and, in any offense, he is far more willing to let composure lead him.

I am NOT taking anything away from Smith or Pryor. Both are athletic in their own right. Pryor is just far more of a traditional athlete who is the bigger threat on the run. Geno is just more comfortable in the pocket and has better touch and composure. He has some mobility, but it will never be the reason he's successful.

To put it in perspective, another athletic QB who is not considered a running or "mobile" QB is Andrew Luck. He and Geno Smith ran the same 40 times at the combine. They also had the exact same broad jump. Luck's vertical was 3 inches higher than Smith's. Luck weighed 236 lbs, Smith weighed 218 lbs.

Says you. Luck is considered mobile. And he ran when he had to.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-19-2013, 01:06 PM

I'd say Collin Klein is closer to Pryor then Geno is. Geno is a much, much more accomplished pocket passer and a much less imposing running threat then either.

better days
03-19-2013, 01:57 PM
I'd say Collin Klein is closer to Pryor then Geno is. Geno is a much, much more accomplished pocket passer and a much less imposing running threat then either.

Again, I was talking about GOOD QBs. Where do you think Klein will be drafted & would you want the Bills to draft him in the 1st or 2nd rnd?

k-oneputt
03-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Klein won't even get drafted imo.
At best 6th or 7th rd.

TedMock
03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Says you. Luck is considered mobile. And he ran when he had to.

Luck's athleticism was largely underappreciated for a long time. He does have some mobility. I was not suggesting that he does not. My point is that nobody is walking around calling him a "mobile QB" in the sense that we were discussing. Luck is a pocket passer first who can run pretty well when necessary - like Geno, but he is not a running threat on a consistent basis.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Again, I was talking about GOOD QBs. Where do you think Klein will be drafted & would you want the Bills to draft him in the 1st or 2nd rnd?

No, but there aren't any GOOD Qbs in this class that compare to Pryor's skillet because Pryor's skillset isn't all that good to begin with.

fluteflakes
03-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Geno is fast. Geno is not MOBILE.

Luck runs the same 40 time as Cam Newton, but he is not NEARLY as mobile. Geno does not have good lateral movement, hip movement out of the pocket, and his ankles are stiff. He's a quarterback, and in the pocket he is adept at maneuvering around and creating time. There is video to prove it. But he is NOT a mobile QB. He's just not going to take off running unless it's a complete desperate situation.

He's said multiple times that he hates running.

Pryor on the other hand, is a great runner, quick, long strider, amazing acceleration for a QB and his lateral movement is almost as good as Cams (who's the best QB in the league at lateral movement) and his first instinct is "If the read isn't there, go". He's not a great passer though, his arm is lacking and his accuracy is touchy. I personally think he'd be a great WR.

better days
03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
No, but there aren't any GOOD Qbs in this class that compare to Pryor's skillet because Pryor's skillset isn't all that good to begin with.

Well, I already said if they draft Geno, there will be competition for the QB job & the best man wins. MOST LIKEKLY Geno. Geno is the QB in this draft who has a skill set similar to Pryor moreso than any other GOOD QB in the draft & certainly moreso than Carson Palmer. If anyone thinks otherwise NAME that QB, & NOT some SCRUB, but a QB that will be drafted by the end of the 2nd rnd.

fluteflakes
03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
He does not have a skillset similar to Pryor's. At all.

He's got a better arm, better release, better footwork, better arm mechanics, better accuracy. He's 3x the thrower Pryor is, but not nearly the runner. Pryor is a GREAT runner. Geno is an okay runner, but he doesn't run much at all. Pryor looks natural running the ball, Geno looks stiff.

better days
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
He does not have a skillset similar to Pryor's. At all.

He's got a better arm, better release, better footwork, better arm mechanics, better accuracy. He's 3x the thrower Pryor is, but not nearly the runner. Pryor is a GREAT runner. Geno is an okay runner, but he doesn't run much at all. Pryor looks natural running the ball, Geno looks stiff.

They are NOT IDENTICAL, they are SIMILAR. Both could play in the SAME offense with no problem. Unlike Palmer & Pryor. AGAIN, name me another GOOD QB in this draft that has more of a similar skillset to Pryor than Geno does.

fluteflakes
03-19-2013, 11:38 PM
They don't have a similar skill set.

I'm not saying their Identical. I'm SAYING that they aren't even similar. Geno Smith is a POCKET QB, Pryor is a RUNNING QB.

Andrew luck is just as fast as Cam Newton in a straight line, would you say their similar players? No, of course you wouldn't because each plays the game a distinct way. Geno and Pryor aren't similar players. Tyrod Taylor is far more similar to Pryor than Geno is. Geno couldn't play in a run predicated offense because he's not a natural running threat like Pryor.

better days
03-20-2013, 03:37 AM
They don't have a similar skill set.

I'm not saying their Identical. I'm SAYING that they aren't even similar. Geno Smith is a POCKET QB, Pryor is a RUNNING QB.

Andrew luck is just as fast as Cam Newton in a straight line, would you say their similar players? No, of course you wouldn't because each plays the game a distinct way. Geno and Pryor aren't similar players. Tyrod Taylor is far more similar to Pryor than Geno is. Geno couldn't play in a run predicated offense because he's not a natural running threat like Pryor.

Well, they did not play in similar systems in College. It is a FACT, BOTH are MOBILE QBS. An example of a QB that is NOT mobile is Carson Palmer. Like I said the Raiders will not have a run predicated offense even if Pryor was the starter & both Geno & Pryor would fit an offense better than Palmer & Pryor or Pryor & any other GOOD QB in this draft.

DraftBoy
03-20-2013, 06:26 AM
This is quickly becoming the same situation as how every white WR gets the Wes Welker comparison.

Night Train
03-20-2013, 06:26 AM
I would like the Bills to select the best talent at #8, regardless of position. That would probably be one of those LT's or they may take a chance on a WR ( Austin would be the only gamble I would like there ). Then select QB E.J. Manuel in round 2, since he has the most upside, IMO. Or even move back into late round 1 to get him, which means a 5 year contract instead of a 4. Not a bad idea, when talking about keeping a QB. Could care less if I'm the lone wolf on this thought. I watch a boatload of college ball and have seen these guys play multiple times.

DraftBoy
03-20-2013, 06:33 AM
I would like the Bills to select the best talent at #8, regardless of position. That would probably be one of those LT's or they may take a chance on a WR ( Austin would be the only gamble I would like there ). Then select QB E.J. Manuel in round 2, since he has the most upside, IMO. Or even move back into late round 1 to get him, which means a 5 year contract instead of a 4. Not a bad idea, when talking about keeping a QB. Could care less if I'm the lone wolf on this thought. I watch a boatload of college ball and have seen these guys play multiple times.

If you asked me in August was EJ Manuel a Day 1 or Day 2 pick I'd have said no. He showed some growth his senior year but still has his moments of "doh" plays. He's definitely worth a Round 2 shot in my book, just not sold on Top 10 or 15.

mjt328
03-20-2013, 08:00 AM
I was just on Rotoworld and they are reporting that Arizona is interested in Mike Glennon, and could very well take him with the 38th pick.

My guess is that this will all come down to Carson Palmer. If he takes a pay cut, he will stay in Oakland, they go defense in the draft and Geno falls to us. If Palmer does not, the Raiders will cut him and draft Geno at 3.

I very much doubt we would pass on Geno if he is there. The other guys? I think it depends on how impressed they are with the private workouts and if one of the QBs separates from the rest.

better days
03-20-2013, 09:26 AM
This is quickly becoming the same situation as how every white WR gets the Wes Welker comparison.

NONSENSE. But it may not matter. I heard speculation on Sirius yesterday that Geno could go #1 or #2 in the draft. I think as we get closer to the draft people will be projecting QBs to go higher than they have been up to now.

fluteflakes
03-20-2013, 11:06 AM
I was just on Rotoworld and they are reporting that Arizona is interested in Mike Glennon, and could very well take him with the 38th pick.

My guess is that this will all come down to Carson Palmer. If he takes a pay cut, he will stay in Oakland, they go defense in the draft and Geno falls to us. If Palmer does not, the Raiders will cut him and draft Geno at 3.

I very much doubt we would pass on Geno if he is there. The other guys? I think it depends on how impressed they are with the private workouts and if one of the QBs separates from the rest.

It's also a big murmuring in the league that Arians is VERY high on Matt Barkley as well and is likely to heavily consider him at #7. The Cards are one of the rumored few teams to still have him as their #1 QB. IF the dominoes fall as I hope they will, Geno will slide to us. Here's willing he does.

Well, they did not play in similar systems in College. It is a FACT, BOTH are MOBILE QBS. An example of a QB that is NOT mobile is Carson Palmer. Like I said the Raiders will not have a run predicated offense even if Pryor was the starter & both Geno & Pryor would fit an offense better than Palmer & Pryor or Pryor & any other GOOD QB in this draft.

No it's not anything near a FACT that he's a mobile QB. Just because he runs fast in a straight god damn line doesn't make him a mobile QB.

I concede, you have your opinion, I have mine, we'll leave it at that and let bygones be bygones eh.

better days
03-20-2013, 11:22 AM
No it's not anything near a FACT that he's a mobile QB. Just because he runs fast in a straight god damn line doesn't make him a mobile QB.

I concede, you have your opinion, I have mine, we'll leave it at that and let bygones be bygones eh.

Yeah, we will have to disagree. But if you think Geno will stand in the pocket like a statue as Carson Palmer does, you have not really watched him play. IMO, Geno is a MOBILE QB, & I would bet football people see him that way as well.

DraftBoy
03-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Yeah, we will have to disagree. But if you think Geno will stand in the pocket like a statue as Carson Palmer does, you have not really watched him play. IMO, Geno is a MOBILE QB, & I would bet football people see him that way as well.

I can tell you for a fact they do not.

fluteflakes
03-20-2013, 11:46 AM

Geno Smith himself has stated, multiple times for multiple outlets that he's a pocket QB and hates running. He interviewed at the combine and talked about it on NFL network that he hates running and breaking the pocket. He'll stay in until it's completely broken down.

And I'v watched him play since he played in a pro style offense his sophomore year. He doesn't like running, he far far far prefers to stay in the pocket and play, becuase that's where he thinks (and is right) where the position is played.

I'll find that interview once I get back to my laptop. I know he's said he's a pocket QB.

better days
03-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Geno Smith himself has stated, multiple times for multiple outlets that he's a pocket QB and hates running. He interviewed at the combine and talked about it on NFL network that he hates running and breaking the pocket. He'll stay in until it's completely broken down.

And I'v watched him play since he played in a pro style offense his sophomore year. He doesn't like running, he far far far prefers to stay in the pocket and play, becuase that's where he thinks (and is right) where the position is played.

I'll find that interview once I get back to my laptop. I know he's said he's a pocket QB.

Being mobile has nothing to do with a players preferance, it has to do with his skills. If need be, Geno has the ability to move. That is the definition of a mobile QB. A QB like Carson Palmer does not have the ability to get out of his own way...........NOT mobile.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Being mobile has nothing to do with a players preferance, it has to do with his skills. If need be, Geno has the ability to move. That is the definition of a mobile QB. A QB like Carson Palmer does not have the ability to get out of his own way...........NOT mobile.

You're going to need a better definition then that. You've practically lumped in every QB without his shoelaces tied together and claimed they are "mobile" and have the same "skillset."

He doesn't like to run, he avoids doing it until the last possible moment, and when he does run he's not very good at it. His 40 time doesn't mean as much as you seem to think it means.

At this point, I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue. If the Raiders are going to take Geno at #3, then it's because they actually like Geno's skillset. There is no way on earth they would take him there just because they supposedly have an offense that fits his third-round backup.

better days
03-20-2013, 03:41 PM
You're going to need a better definition then that. You've practically lumped in every QB without his shoelaces tied together and claimed they are "mobile" and have the same "skillset."

He doesn't like to run, he avoids doing it until the last possible moment, and when he does run he's not very good at it. His 40 time doesn't mean as much as you seem to think it means.

At this point, I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue. If the Raiders are going to take Geno at #3, then it's because they actually like Geno's skillset. There is no way on earth they would take him there just because they supposedly have an offense that fits his third-round backup.

I agree, the raiders will pick Geno because they like his skill set. The fact Pryor could play in the same Offensive system is gravy.

TigerJ
03-20-2013, 09:31 PM
I haven't narrowed down anything to this point. I suspect that if Geno Smith were to drop to #8, he would likely be the Bills' pick, but I'm not absolutely certain, and even less certain that he will drop. If Barkley is the one to drop, I'm less convinced the Bills will draft him, but not positive they won't. If both are drafted top 7, I don't think Buffalo will draft a QB at #8. I'm not sure if they would draft BPA or try to trade out of the spot. If they were to drop back in the first round, I think they would draft a QB at that point, but I don't know if it would be Wilson, Manuel, or Nassib. They might also wait until the second round, but then the odds rise that addition QBs will be drafted before Buffalo picks at #41. One or two of the above 3 could be gone, and it's almost certain in my thinking that Barkley and Smith will be gone before Buffalo picks in round 2 (though draftek.com has Buffalo picking Geno Smith in round 2 in their last 2 mocks). In round 2, I think Tyler Bray starts to be a consideration too, and maybe Landry Jones. I would be very disappointe if the Bills get past their second round pick without draftiing a QB.

better days
03-20-2013, 10:14 PM
I haven't narrowed down anything to this point. I suspect that if Geno Smith were to drop to #8, he would likely be the Bills' pick, but I'm not absolutely certain, and even less certain that he will drop. If Barkley is the one to drop, I'm less convinced the Bills will draft him, but not positive they won't. If both are drafted top 7, I don't think Buffalo will draft a QB at #8. I'm not sure if they would draft BPA or try to trade out of the spot. If they were to drop back in the first round, I think they would draft a QB at that point, but I don't know if it would be Wilson, Manuel, or Nassib. They might also wait until the second round, but then the odds rise that addition QBs will be drafted before Buffalo picks at #41. One or two of the above 3 could be gone, and it's almost certain in my thinking that Barkley and Smith will be gone before Buffalo picks in round 2 (though draftek.com has Buffalo picking Geno Smith in round 2 in their last 2 mocks). In round 2, I think Tyler Bray starts to be a consideration too, and maybe Landry Jones. I would be very disappointe if the Bills get past their second round pick without draftiing a QB.

On Sirius today, I heard a few people predict at least 3 QBs will be picked in the 1st rnd.

fluteflakes
03-21-2013, 12:28 AM
I think after the top ten a team to watch for grabbing a QB in the first is the Texans. Schaub is getting long in the tooth and has struggled mightily down the stretch. Yates is a back-up at best. Se they might be looking for the Heir apparent in this draft in the form of an E.J. Manuel or a Ryan Nassib.

X-Era
03-21-2013, 05:29 AM
On Sirius today, I heard a few people predict at least 3 QBs will be picked in the 1st rnd.
I think that's about right and that it will be Smith, Barkley, and either Wilson or Nassib

better days
03-21-2013, 05:33 AM
I think that's about right and that it will be Smith, Barkley, and either Wilson or Nassib

Well, it sounds to me like what I have been saying for a LONG time. If the Bills want a QB they will have to draft him in the first rnd to get a GOOD one.

kishoph
03-21-2013, 05:39 AM
Stevie hanging out with Matt Barkley at the Ducks game. Future teammates ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/stevieandbarkley.jpg

X-Era
03-21-2013, 05:54 AM
Well, it sounds to me like what I have been saying for a LONG time. If the Bills want a QB they will have to draft him in the first rnd to get a GOOD one.That's a matter of perspective.

Personally, I think the overall difference between the top QB and the 6th isn't all that much. Inconsistencies across the group keep anyone from stepping out from the crowd. McShay did a piece of the tiers in this draft and he puts Smith as a late 1st, Barkley and Wilson as early 2nd, and then Nassib, Jones, and Glennon all as 2nd rounders.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9041533/2013-nfl-draft-first-breakdown-talent-tiers

The point is that none of these guys are so good that they must be taken in the 1st round. But yet 3 of the 6 will likely be drafted there. Not because their ranking deserves it but because they are over-drafted every year and the position is coveted.

Your statement isn't true IMO. It's not that you have to take a QB in the 1st or you can't get a good one, it's that you may have to take one in the 1st to get the guy you like best. And I think the Bills should do exactly that. If they like a guy because of how he fits their system, or some other reason, they should take him in the 1st and maybe at 8 to make sure they get him.

If the Bills simply wanted a guy... any one of the 6... they can get one in the 2nd round. And the likelihood that any of the 6 ends up being a good QB in the NFL is pretty much the same... Hence the very similar rankings.

Where the differentiation comes in is in preference. And because it's likely that the other teams will over-draft a QB, and we may have a favorite that we think will fit our team the best, we may have to draft our top guy in the 1st and even possibly at 8. The Eagles really make this point. I think we all can see that EJ Manuel fits Chip Kellys system better than Mike Glennon. Yet both have very similar rankings.

In the end, I look at it like this. The Bills are going to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round this year. And because the rankings are so similar, they can't really make a wrong move from the perspective of what they walk away with as far as QB talent. If they get the 1st one drafted or the 6th one drafted the difference in talent level isn't all that much.

What will drive many crazy is that fact. That the Bills may be taking a QB at 8 who has a overall ranking in the late 1st or 2nd round. Many will really struggle with that. But what you hope to do is draft one this year... yes even over-draft one this year and not have to draft one again for the next 10 years.

PTI
03-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Seems the Glennon love has died down significantly.

better days
03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
That's a matter of perspective.

Personally, I think the overall difference between the top QB and the 6th isn't all that much. Inconsistencies across the group keep anyone from stepping out from the crowd. McShay did a piece of the tiers in this draft and he puts Smith as a late 1st, Barkley and Wilson as early 2nd, and then Nassib, Jones, and Glennon all as 2nd rounders.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9041533/2013-nfl-draft-first-breakdown-talent-tiers

The point is that none of these guys are so good that they must be taken in the 1st round. But yet 3 of the 6 will likely be drafted there. Not because their ranking deserves it but because they are over-drafted every year and the position is coveted.

Your statement isn't true IMO. It's not that you have to take a QB in the 1st or you can't get a good one, it's that you may have to take one in the 1st to get the guy you like best. And I think the Bills should do exactly that. If they like a guy because of how he fits their system, or some other reason, they should take him in the 1st and maybe at 8 to make sure they get him.

If the Bills simply wanted a guy... any one of the 6... they can get one in the 2nd round. And the likelihood that any of the 6 ends up being a good QB in the NFL is pretty much the same... Hence the very similar rankings.

Where the differentiation comes in is in preference. And because it's likely that the other teams will over-draft a QB, and we may have a favorite that we think will fit our team the best, we may have to draft our top guy in the 1st and even possibly at 8. The Eagles really make this point. I think we all can see that EJ Manuel fits Chip Kellys system better than Mike Glennon. Yet both have very similar rankings.

In the end, I look at it like this. The Bills are going to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round this year. And because the rankings are so similar, they can't really make a wrong move from the perspective of what they walk away with as far as QB talent. If they get the 1st one drafted or the 6th one drafted the difference in talent level isn't all that much.

What will drive many crazy is that fact. That the Bills may be taking a QB at 8 who has a overall ranking in the late 1st or 2nd round. Many will really struggle with that. But what you hope to do is draft one this year... yes even over-draft one this year and not have to draft one again for the next 10 years.

Well, you can listen to McShay or you can listen to REAL Football people. Nix has said he thinks two or three QBs could be GOOD. That sounds to me like Nix has 3 QBs targeted to draft. I doubt he will gamble ANY of the three will be available in the 2nd rnd.

X-Era
03-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Well, you can listen to McShay or you can listen to REAL Football people. Nix has said he thinks two or three QBs could be GOOD. That sounds to me like Nix has 3 QBs targeted to draft. I doubt he will gamble ANY of the three will be available in the 2nd rnd.
Really man? Do you think I don't look at the same things you do? McShay is one of many pundits who thinks that the earliest a QB should go this year is late 1st. And Nix is one of the many teams who know you pretty much have to over-draft QB's these days.

Where QB's get drafted is usually not the same as where they are ranked.

Nix has already stated that if you want a QB you may have to draft one a full round early. That is the case these days more often than not.

The truth is that Nix will have one of about 3 guys targeted and will likely take that guy at 8. I've said that over and over.

But the concept that there's only 3 good ones is just plain not true in my opinion. There's little difference in overall talent between the top guy and the 6th.

Nix probably will take a QB at 8, he'll do it because he probably has 3 that he prefers to fit his team best. But there isn't only 3 good ones, and therefore you don't have to take one in the 1st round to get one that's good.

YardRat
03-21-2013, 08:47 PM

Well, it sounds to me like what I have been saying for a LONG time. If the Bills want a QB they will have to draft him in the first rnd to get a GOOD one.

You haven't really said who you think the GOOD QB's are, and have taken the stance that you'll let Nix decide who the GOOD ones are, if I remember correctly.

Are you now saying that the GOOD QB's list is narrowed down to Smith, Barkley, Wilson and Nassib?

better days
03-21-2013, 09:35 PM
You haven't really said who you think the GOOD QB's are, and have taken the stance that you'll let Nix decide who the GOOD ones are, if I remember correctly.

Are you now saying that the GOOD QB's list is narrowed down to Smith, Barkley, Wilson and Nassib?

No, I still will let Nix decide the BEST QB for the Bills. Not a Barkley fan at all myself, BUT if Nix likes him, I will be on board as I was with Losman & Edwards. If he plays as well as those two, I will jump off the bandwagon fast.

My favorites in order are Wilson, Manuel, Nassib & Barkley but as I said I will leave it to Nix to decide.

mjt328
03-22-2013, 08:10 AM

Nix is just referring to the "odds" of success. If there are 7-8 quarterbacks ranked in the 1st-2nd round range, odds are that 3 will turn out to be good starters (his opinion, not sure how scientific that is).

Based on his full statement, he hasn't decided which 3 quarterbacks will be good yet.

And I wouldn't refer to Nix as a "real" football guy until he puts together at least one decent draft.

better days
03-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Nix is just referring to the "odds" of success. If there are 7-8 quarterbacks ranked in the 1st-2nd round range, odds are that 3 will turn out to be good starters (his opinion, not sure how scientific that is).

Based on his full statement, he hasn't decided which 3 quarterbacks will be good yet.

And I wouldn't refer to Nix as a "real" football guy until he puts together at least one decent draft.

If Nix has made his mind up about which 3 he likes, I'm sure he won't share that until after the draft.

The last draft looks pretty decent to me, but it would have been GREAT if Nix had drafted Russell Wilson.