PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it obvious? They want to be bad.

lordofgun
03-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Here's my take, which probably isn't unique:

The Bills obviously aren't competing in FA. They will also not take a QB high in the draft. This is because they are counting on being bad this year. They want the top pick next year when they can land the QB of their choice.

Tavaris Jackson all year!

Bill Cody
03-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Maybe they are competing...and losing

Scumbag College
03-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Maybe I'm optimistic, but I think with the Bills being so bad at so many positions right now and only having six draft picks, they are taking a gamble on having some mid level guys there later on in free agency and filling the glaring holes at G, WR, LB, etc. on the cheap.

Or, they've had their heads up their asses for so long that no one wants to come here unless they break the bank the way they did for Mario. Could be either one.

SpikedLemonade
03-16-2013, 10:03 AM

The Bills obviously aren't competing in FA. They will also not take a QB high in the draft. This is because they are counting on being bad this year. They want the top pick next year when they can land the QB of their choice.

I support this strategy.

Novacane
03-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Problem with this plan is they will screw it up by winning a game they shouldn't and miss out on the QB of choice by a couple picks. There will be big arguments on this board near then end of the season when a loss means the top pick. Those that want to lose for the top pick will be accused of not being real fans by a few holier than thou posters. The cycle will never end. Get used to it and just accept it.

psubills62
03-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Not sure what to think. Reality is that some good names are still out there in FA.

However, I'm beginning to think that the Bills just want to tear it down as much as possible and maybe tank the season if that's what it requires. I do believe that our middling performances year after year (7-9, 6-10, etc.) have prevented us from getting top tier players (that and bad drafting).

Tanking the season is not something I want to see at all, personally. But it might get us some top tier draftees. Might.

BertSquirtgum
03-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Not trying to make this team better must really be making the people that pay for their **** product really happy. I know I'm a bit concerned but I usually do wait two weeks after free agency before I start screaming the sky is falling. This not even bringing guys in for visits is really starting to rub me the wrong way though and I'm getting agitated earlier than usual. It's like having someone poke me in the chest asking me why I renewed my tickets.

Albany,n.y.
03-16-2013, 12:08 PM
If they pick a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, this whole premise goes down the drain.

jills
03-16-2013, 12:34 PM

We've been doing it for 13 years, and clearly is not working.

Mike
03-18-2013, 04:03 AM

I really hope they have as much foresight as you...

Mike
03-18-2013, 04:06 AM
We've been doing it for 13 years, and clearly is not working.

No they never really did this. They never bottomed out, instead each year they signed a bunch of mediocre FAs and got a mediocre result. This year they let go of some mediocre and good talent and signed poor talent. This really could be a preparation for a poor year and a bottoming out. The timing could not be better as, even if they signed some of the best FAs, there will be a big transition with new coaches and our lack of QB would have held us back regardless of FA signings.

The King
03-18-2013, 07:28 AM
If they wanted to suck this season they shouldn't have hired Marrone. They shouldve kept Gailey.

ServoBillieves
03-18-2013, 08:30 AM
I have to come to a few idiotic conclusions here.

You're telling me that a franchise, with a large fan base and according to the NFL's books is a huge profit margin, is going to completely bomb a 14th season and expect a hefty payday down the road? That means either complete idiocy or the team is a guaranteed move, aka weening the fans off of what they love to make a move easier. That one's easy.
These coaches, very young by the way, WANT to have losses and failure on their resumes because that will benefit them down the road? They want to be associated with failure? Last time I checked when I resigned from a position my follow up interview didn't involve "Oh, so you failed miserably at your previous position, let's promote you."
Russ Brandon is being told to fail by Ralph Wilson. That's one that I also heard.
These players, making hundreds of thousands and in most cases unnecessary millions of dollars WANT to look bad? What team can pad their 401K (oh wait... they make that in 8 games) for down the road with mediocre play? I'm going to jump the gun on coastaltroll here and say "well 'fools silver'" or whatever moronic thing he won't shut up about has played well in games that "didn't matter" and made his money. Yes, yes he did.

Games that "don't matter?"
HELLO, half of you people don't want these games to matter! You WANT to lose! You WANT that ONE player who isn't even a guarantee to lead you to the promised land! Want Barkley? Let me call 2012 where he was projected to go #1 guaranteed. "OH ****!" He's not even worth a look at #8 now? Man, Manziel with his Heisman must look really great for 2013... We should totally flop this season to get him because he's a guarantee!!

We lost out on the Luck, RGIII won't make it in this league more than 5 years effectively, and Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick, and last time I checked, hindsight is 20/20.

justasportsfan
03-18-2013, 08:37 AM
why would Marrone and co want to put their job in jeopardy?

John Fox and Elway didn't make any significant moves in Fox's first year.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-18-2013, 12:58 PM
why would Marrone and co want to put their job in jeopardy?

John Fox and Elway didn't make any significant moves in Fox's first year.

Define "significant." They traded away their #1 wideout, benched their starting QB and then cut him midseason.

Jeff1220
03-18-2013, 01:03 PM
This year, they'll be drafting the future back-up QB, except they'll try to pass him off as the starter for this year.

ServoBillieves
03-18-2013, 01:46 PM
This year, they'll be drafting the future back-up QB, except they'll try to pass him off as the starter for this year.

Named who? You found out who is starting for the Bills this year, so please let us know the name, we'd love to know so 2/3rds of this board would shut up.

justasportsfan
03-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Define "significant." They traded away their #1 wideout, benched their starting QB and then cut him midseason.

they didn't make a big splash in FA is what I meant.

imbondz
03-18-2013, 02:52 PM
I back that plan, but no way the Bills are smart enough to pull it off, or even come up with it.

Jeff1220
03-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Named who? You found out who is starting for the Bills this year, so please let us know the name, we'd love to know so 2/3rds of this board would shut up.

Just like everyone else here, I'm making a freakin guess - that they'll draft a QB this year who will be their back up after drafting another in a year or two. Your post doesn't need to be such an a$$.