PDA

View Full Version : Four Sites For Potential Stadium

YardRat
03-17-2013, 12:45 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/3/17/4115160/new-buffalo-bills-stadium-potential-sites

Lackawanna

The former Bethlehem Steel plant (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ferrous+Manufacturing&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl&authuser=0) along the lakeshore in Lackawanna has been largely dormant since the plant closed in 1982. Small projects have utilized portions of the site but the plant's footprint is still largely available. There is one caveat; industrial waste has contaminated the site, with the Environmental Protection Agency saying it "poses a significant potential threat to human health and the environment." (Irony: so do the Bills.) If New York State - with help from the federal government - wanted to cross two problems off their list, paying to restore the site along with a new stadium would make some sense. Former Erie County Executive Bruce Fisher thinks the site is too far away from the current economic redevelopment projects in the works near downtown Buffalo.

Outer Harbor

The most discussed potential site, investors have been trumpeting a private convention center and stadium hybrid for months now. Like the Lackawanna site, it would capitalize on cheap land available on the waterfront (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Outer+Harbor+Buffalo&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=QNVFUcirGsXh4AOdv4DoBw&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg). This plan is the furthest along of any of the other sites besides the current Orchard Park land.

Downtown Buffalo

The most attractive for Erie County and New York State economic development money, the stadium could be plunked down in the middle of the City of Buffalo. Restricted tailgating and difficulty parking would be major concerns but increased access to public transportation, ability to tap into existing utilities and sewer lines, and the development of the surrounding areas could outweigh those negatives in the minds of legislators. WGRZ's report suggests directly on the waterfront where failed redevelopment into a Bass Pro Shop and more have come and gone or a space near the old Larkin Building (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Larkin+building+Buffalo&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=ItVFUeayBJHD4AORi4CoDw&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg).

Niagara Falls

Called "the wild card" in WGRZ's report, this is the most problematic spot for local Buffalo lawmakers. Instead of Erie County, the new stadium and all the sales tax revenue would fall in Niagara County. Niagara would also be responsible for infrastructure upgrades and more. This is a plan that would need to come from the state as a way to enhance Upstate New York's largest tourist attraction and would likely prove a hard sell for Erie County legislators. It would decrease the travel time for Canadian fans and increase the driving distance from Rochester.

OpIv37
03-17-2013, 12:51 PM
"Cheap land available on the waterfront."

That's a phrase that only makes sense in Buffalo, NY. Waterfront property is MORE expensive everywhere else in the world.

YardRat
03-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I don't know how accurate that statement is, although apparently one of the factors that may drive the price down is the cost of clean up before anything can be done with it.

Skooby
03-17-2013, 01:28 PM
They need to clean the downtown out first.

EricStratton
03-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I don't know how accurate that statement is, although apparently one of the factors that may drive the price down is the cost of clean up before anything can be done with it.

You hit the nail on the head Yard. The contamination at the waterfront makes certain types of usage almost impossible

YardRat
03-17-2013, 01:46 PM
I stated three years ago that the Falls could be in play, depending on the new ownership group.

Night Train
03-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Why don't they just build it across from the Ralph ?? Retractable roof is a must.

The traffic patterns and available parking is something our downtown cannot handle. It would take tons of $$ to make that happen.

DetDannyWilliams
03-17-2013, 02:27 PM
East Buffalo cheap land- by the Central Terminal

almost all of those houses down on the East Side are vacant, they have condemned signs on them or have spray painted X's on them. The City of Buffalo rips down houses that haven't or can't be lived in to help control the pests and rodents.

so here's what they should do...they should build the stadium and while they are doing that they are knocking down the houses that the City of Buffalo is supposed to rip down anyways it's like killing two birds with one stone.

Night Train
03-17-2013, 02:32 PM
East Buffalo cheap land- by the Central Terminal

almost all of those houses down on the East Side are vacant, they have condemned signs on them or have spray painted X's on them. The City of Buffalo rips down houses that haven't or can't be lived in to help control the pests and rodents.

so here's what they should do...they should build the stadium and while they are doing that they are knocking down the houses that the City of Buffalo is supposed to rip down anyways it's like killing two birds with one stone.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

I'd never drive down there. It's a 50 % shot your car would be broken into or vadalized during the game.

Skooby
03-17-2013, 02:37 PM
I'd never drive down there. It's a 50 % shot your car would be broken into or vadalized during the game.

If your car is worth more than $8,000, it's a 100% chance.

coastal
03-17-2013, 02:58 PM
You hit the nail on the head Yard. The contamination at the waterfront makes certain types of usage almost impossible
That is so sad when you consider the tremendous natural resource that is embodied by Lake Erie and the properties that surround it.

I often think about the time prior to white man cometh... and what it all must have looked like.

Don't Panic
03-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Gotta be Outer Harbor. It just makes too much sense (which of course will probably eliminate it from serious consideration). That would be phenomenal to go to games on the lake and a few hundred yards from the epicenter of the city. Needs to happen.

BertSquirtgum
03-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Why don't they just build it across from the Ralph ?? Retractable roof is a must.

The traffic patterns and available parking is something our downtown cannot handle. It would take tons of $$ to make that happen.

This is the most logical to me.

Skooby
03-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Orchard Park is not regionalizing the team, which is the intent of moving it to the most accessible area to the most people. Niagara Falls is the most logical place with the Rainbow Bridge there & so many hotel rooms / natural beauty & easy access from the east, I'll can almost assure you that it will end up there.

better days
03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Orchard Park is not regionalizing the team, which is the intent of moving it to the most accessible area to the most people. Niagara Falls is the most logical place with the Rainbow Bridge there & so many hotel rooms / natural beauty & easy access from the east, I'll can almost assure you that it will end up there.

Well, I think midpoint between Buffalo & Rochester is the most logical place. CHEAP land there as well in the middle of nowhere, yet accessable from everywhere. Now that would be the best site for regionalizing the team.

Skooby
03-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Well, I think midpoint between Buffalo & Rochester is the most logical place. CHEAP land there as well in the middle of nowhere, yet accessable from everywhere. Now that would be the best site for regionalizing the team.

You don't walk the team away from just over the boarder with Canada, the farther east part being accurate.

Mouldsie
03-17-2013, 11:37 PM
WNY is a joke sometimes. Just thinking about how incompetent our gov't and businesses are is mind numbing.... and Niagara county is 10x worse.

The whole region needs to re-map itself with fewer reps and Buffalo and Niagara Falls need to be brought up together with cheap fast public transportation between the two areas as well as Toronto being a major focus along with waterfront development and cleanup efforts. No excuses and no delays.

Skooby
03-17-2013, 11:45 PM
WNY is a joke sometimes. Just thinking about how incompetent our gov't and businesses are is mind numbing.... and Niagara county is 10x worse.

The whole region needs to re-map itself with fewer reps and Buffalo and Niagara Falls need to be brought up together with cheap fast public transportation between the two areas as well as Toronto being a major focus along with waterfront development and cleanup efforts. No excuses and no delays.

With the looney being near par, you'd think that the locals would find a way to draw every canadian dollar they could. Gambling + Falls + Bills = great weekend. It's the Walden galleria mall until then.

Mouldsie
03-18-2013, 12:06 AM
I think a high speed train system from Toronto to Niagara Falls with another train from Niagara Falls to Buffalo would be pretty sweet and could be successful. Would have to work with the different countries and counties to get it done

TedMock
03-18-2013, 04:57 AM

This would be nice and I agree that it makes a lot of sense. The one thing I could understand making Buffalo skiddish is having to share financing on this. The economy is not good and the city of Buffalo has actually done a good job in taking care of finances the last several years. They actually had their credit rating go up in the past year which was somewhat surprising. Niagara Falls, on the other hand, just had their debt rating knocked down a couple grades. Buffalo would be taking on a big risk here. It could work, but they have to think long and hard as they do a ton of homework on what would be a joint venture.

better days
03-18-2013, 07:05 AM
You don't walk the team away from just over the boarder with Canada, the farther east part being accurate.

A few extra miles from Canada but not much further than the Ralph. And much closer to Rochester & Syracuse.

Historian
03-18-2013, 08:26 AM
They should go back to Jefferson and Best...

sukie
03-18-2013, 08:35 AM
On Lackawanna site...

industrial waste has contaminated the site, with the Environmental Protection Agency saying it "poses a significant potential threat to human health and the environment." (Irony: so do the Bills.)

Too funny

Mski
03-18-2013, 10:00 AM
A few extra miles from Canada but not much further than the Ralph. And much closer to Rochester & Syracuse.
only if you think they only come over from lewiston or rainbow bridges... if they come over the peace bridge, batavia is considerably further than the current ralph

better days
03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
only if you think they only come over from lewiston or rainbow bridges... if they come over the peace bridge, batavia is considerably further than the current ralph

What distance is considerably further?

OpIv37
03-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Batavia may be a little far but I always thought that a stadium more to the east would make sense. That way, the Rochester/Syracuse people head east and the Buffalo/Canada people head west and it alleviates some of the traffic.

As it stands now, all the major population centers are in the same direction after the game.

Mski
03-18-2013, 11:31 AM
What distance is considerably further?from the peace bridge, about 30 miles more, from lewiston about 20 miles further

better days
03-18-2013, 11:40 AM
from the peace bridge, about 30 miles more, from lewiston about 20 miles further

Yeah, I don't think that is a considerable distace myself. And it would make the distance from Rochester & Syracuse much closer. And HOCKEY is Canadas #1 sport. More gold (potential Bills fans) to be mined in Rochester to Syracuse than Toronto.

Mski
03-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I don't think that is a considerable distace myself. And it would make the distance from Rochester & Syracuse much closer. And HOCKEY is Canadas #1 sport. More gold (potential Bills fans) to be mined in Rochester to Syracuse than Toronto.

when you're going from a 15 mi commute to 45 or 40 to 60 those are considerable

better days
03-19-2013, 10:48 AM
when you're going from a 15 mi commute to 45 or 40 to 60 those are considerable

Not in my opinion. Traffic is much more of a factor than miles. Have you ever driven in Chicago or LA? Even going to Foxboro, it is the traffic that is the killer. ONE Road, a LONG one, to get from Boston to Foxboro

Build a Stadium with a Central location that has numerous access roads, like the Ralph does.

sukie
03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Niagara Falls would rock... But as the piece states... Erie County would have the runny craps if that idea got legs.