PDA

View Full Version : Jackson could very well be our starter this year.

Oaf
03-17-2013, 06:20 PM
The more gametape I watch on these guys, the more lukewarm I get about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-oCe2E9Nuw
Smith vs K-State. Did not hit a big pass all game, two ugly picks, and generally looked uncomfortable out there. Would I take a flier in the 2nd, or even trade back from 8 into the 20s and draft him? Sure. Does he look like a top 10 pick? No.

Our failure to grab a Kirk Cousins or Wilson last year IMO may have set us back a year. Unfortunately, the best path to the SB may be to continue to build and develop talent in '13, and start our run in '14.

Oaf
03-17-2013, 06:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iHIiDgGDGOo

Wilson against South Carolina. Makes a few big throws, but misses routine ones, and takes too long on others.

capitolneal
03-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Damn South Carolina. Laid wood that whole game clowney and co whacked him good I like that Wilson stood in pocket and took a few hits to complete the ball

IlluminatusUIUC
03-17-2013, 08:49 PM
The more gametape I watch on these guys, the more lukewarm I get about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-oCe2E9Nuw
Smith vs K-State. Did not hit a big pass all game, two ugly picks, and generally looked uncomfortable out there. Would I take a flier in the 2nd, or even trade back from 8 into the 20s and draft him? Sure. Does he look like a top 10 pick? No.

Our failure to grab a Kirk Cousins or Wilson last year IMO may have set us back a year. Unfortunately, the best path to the SB may be to continue to build and develop talent in '13, and start our run in '14.

Would anyone look like a Top 10 pick if you only looked at their worst game? Smith isn't a flawless prospect, I admit that. But if he was a flawless prospect, we wouldn't have a prayer of drafting him at #8.

Oaf
03-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Would anyone look like a Top 10 pick if you only looked at their worst game? Smith isn't a flawless prospect, I admit that. But if he was a flawless prospect, we wouldn't have a prayer of drafting him at #8.

I always watch the underdog matchups. What gametape would you recommend watching?

IlluminatusUIUC
03-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I always watch the underdog matchups. What gametape would you recommend watching?

Cookie G likes to point out Geno vs. Oklahoma. Even with the two picks, Smith has to make pass after pass to wideouts that are being blanketed ,

gloveus
03-18-2013, 01:21 AM
If the Bills do somehow manage to draft Smith high, I hope it's because they did their due diligence in scouting and not because he's the top media favorite QB. I think if the Bills draft the wrong QB high in this draft, it will cost Marrone his job, regardless of whether he made the pick or not.

Mr. Miyagi
03-18-2013, 01:45 AM
In those Geno Smith highlights he looked just like Fitz.

Oaf
03-18-2013, 03:23 AM
In those Geno Smith highlights he looked just like Fitz.

I thought Wilson did w/ his ill-advised throws and easy misses. Smith did take a ton of sacks.. Illuminati, I'll post the Ok game next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O2lLS4r_77g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EmybAZdY06g (Nassib vs Mizzou)

So here's Ryan Nassib 'dog games vs Louisville and Mizzou. Nassib makes actually makes big throws in both games. I particularly like his 3rd down conversions and ability to score when needed. I feel like he'll go before our 2nd round pick, which puts us in somewhat of a quandary.

RedEyE
03-18-2013, 06:26 AM
I have a problem with Nassib's accuracy and how he handles pressure when the pocket collapses. I prefer a QB with a natural ability to elude blitzing defenses. Especially in college film as the pressure in those games are vanilla compared to what they will see in the pro game. I do like that he doesn't have a problem taking chances downfield. But the only reason I would even consider Nassib in the 2nd round is because he knows the offense.

I much prefer EJ Manuel. Manuel operated from a no huddle offensive scheme most of his college career using several offensive sets, and he has an effortless stride when escaping the pass rush. He is quite elusive for his size and has a tremendous amount of athleticism. When watching him on film he appears large in the pocket but then manages to somehow get skinny when running with the ball. I think this kid is truly underrated and I believe he could go bottom of the 1st. Much better value for a high 2nd in my opinion.

http://youtu.be/2v8OOY7AHRE

DraftBoy
03-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Cookie G likes to point out Geno vs. Oklahoma. Even with the two picks, Smith has to make pass after pass to wideouts that are being blanketed ,

The throw to Stedman in that game was the best thrown I've ever seen.

DraftBoy
03-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Here is the Smith v. Oklahoma cut ups;
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JiBxfi5eY9w?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The throw down the sideline to Austin around 1:30, watch the shoulder fake to keep the safety in the middle.

Back foot throw at 2:00 over the entire defense for a TD to Bailey.

RedEyE
03-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Here is the Smith v. Oklahoma cut ups;
<IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JiBxfi5eY9w?feature=player_detailpage" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

The throw down the sideline to Austin around 1:30, watch the shoulder fake to keep the safety in the middle.

Back foot throw at 2:00 over the entire defense for a TD to Bailey.

That entire drive - Smith was just on fire. If we end up this guy, I hope we see a lot more of that.

And how bout that throw deep from his own endzone?

fluteflakes
03-18-2013, 03:03 PM
The throw to Stedman in that game was the best thrown I've ever seen.

Bracket coverage with safety over the top, three guys within a FOOT of the ball, and he fits it in, on a dime right into Stedman's hands, on the move, falling backwards, off just his plant leg with barely any time to set his feet, from his own endzone while the entire Oklahoma D-Line is about to nail him.

That play sold me on Geno Smith. He's got "it". And for once I want the Bills to have a QB with "it".

TigerJ
03-18-2013, 03:08 PM
I'll be surprised if Jackson starts, but it's ceretainly not impossible.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2013, 04:07 PM
not taking a qb at 8 is simply beyond dumb. i mean, whats the point if you dont take a risk.

all 5 guys, smith, barkley, wilson, manuel, glennon have 1st-2nd round ability. take a risk. the chance to get an elway/luck is 1 in a million. so this is what we must do to get a qb.

that or trade a 2nd for mallett...

either way, get over it. they are taking a qb

- - - Updated - - -

if you constantly wait for a elway, or never draft one, then that means you will never get one.

come on people

Oaf
03-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Bracket coverage with safety over the top, three guys within a FOOT of the ball, and he fits it in, on a dime right into Stedman's hands, on the move, falling backwards, off just his plant leg with barely any time to set his feet, from his own endzone while the entire Oklahoma D-Line is about to nail him.

That play sold me on Geno Smith. He's got "it". And for once I want the Bills to have a QB with "it".

I think we just need to be objectively ok with disagreeing on this one. He certainly made some good throws when needed, but threw some terrible INTS and should-been picks. I also don't see his marginal escapability translating to the NFL at all. 2nd round pick? Yep. 20's? Sure. Top 10? If we go true BPA, I have no idea how it would be him.

Bert102176
03-19-2013, 01:50 AM
I think EJ Manuel will end up being the best of this class and I want him on the Bills so badly even if at 8

Bert102176
03-19-2013, 01:53 AM
That being said they will draft Barkley and start him cause I think the front office and Wilson is racist and won't let a black QB start in buffalo.

trapezeus
03-19-2013, 08:07 AM
the issue is that the bills need a day 1 starter. geno will be good if he goes to a team where he can learn behind an established starter on the back end of his career. if he is thrown into the fire on day 1, he will be the next losman

sukie
03-19-2013, 08:22 AM
One word. Tanneyhill. Thrown to the wolves after a short college QB career and he didn't buckle

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 09:50 AM
One word. Tanneyhill. Thrown to the wolves after a short college QB career and he didn't buckle

Exception to the rule. For every Tannehill there are three or 4 Losmans, Edwards, Rob Johnsons and Todd Collins': guys who were brought along slow and still ended up shell shocked playing behind a bad line with bad receivers. While there have been more rookie QB's who have been successful lately, throwing them to the wolves is still a really bad idea.

Captain Obvious
03-19-2013, 09:58 AM
While there have been more rookie QB's who have been successful lately, throwing them to the wolves is still a really bad idea.
This is what English literature professors would call a oxymoron

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 10:07 AM
This is what English literature professors would call a oxymoron

Um no.

That would be what statistics professors call using an invalid sample size.

sukie
03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Exception to the rule. For every Tannehill there are three or 4 Losmans, Edwards, Rob Johnsons and Todd Collins': guys who were brought along slow and still ended up shell shocked playing behind a bad line with bad receivers. While there have been more rookie QB's who have been successful lately, throwing them to the wolves is still a really bad idea.

So you showed me 4 examples of nurtured guys to compare to un-nurtured Tannyhill? My response would be if camp has the rook kicking ass... Throw him out there. Definitely a change in what was done with JP, Tred, Collins, and Johnson. Culture change baby.

Syderick
03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
They got to take Smith if he's there at 8. If he's not there, then they should get one of their needs at 8 and get a QB in the 2nd round.

Oaf
03-19-2013, 01:28 PM
I'd rather the thread not be "the Bills have got to do this " or "the Bills will do this ". Post some footy from your favorite guy and let's discuss (preferably against a decent squad).

justasportsfan
03-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Luck , RG3 and Wilson no longer make Tennehill and exception to the rule.

YardRat
03-19-2013, 07:13 PM
That being said they will draft Barkley and start him cause I think the front office and Wilson is racist and won't let a black QB start in buffalo.

You do realize that the Bills were the first team in league history to start a black quarterback in an NFL game, right?

Oaf
03-19-2013, 11:21 PM
You do realize that the Bills were the first team in league history to start a black quarterback in an NFL game, right?

Who/when?

fluteflakes
03-19-2013, 11:33 PM
James Harris, 1971. Played with the Rams for most of his Career. Was pretty good for a few years.

Syderick
03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
The Bills can't accept Tarvaris Jackson, he lost 2 starter positions. Draft a Qb or sign a Free Agent.