PDA

View Full Version : Pick one in the 2nd

Mr. Miyagi
03-18-2013, 09:13 AM
No more debate about which QB is first round worthy. Let's say we skip QB until the 2nd round. Surely we're going to take one there, right?

Here's who's left, hypothetically:

Matt Barkley
Tyler Wilson
Ryan Nassib

You HAVE to pick one. Who will it be?

Don't annoy me with the Glennon/Bray/Jones/Manuel suggestions. They're not 2nd round material.

PICK!

justasportsfan
03-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Wilson.

jpdex12
03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
No more debate about which QB is first round worthy. Let's say we skip QB until the 2nd round. Surely we're going to take one there, right?

Matt Barkley
Tyler Wilson
Ryan Nassib

Don't annoy me with the Glennon/Bray/Jones/Manuel suggestions. They're not 2nd round material.

PICK!

I honestly think that only Wilson will be left in the second round....

RedEyE
03-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Manuel.

Mahdi
03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
I choose Nassib because Barkley is gone in first and Wilson is a 3rd round prospect.

The Jokeman
03-18-2013, 09:36 AM

Matt Barkley
Tyler Wilson
Ryan Nassib

PICK!

That's one scary trio. As I can make the arguement both pro and con for all three. Yet I personally don't like any of them. I guess I'd go with Wilson as fear that Barkley doesn't have the arm strength to play in Buffalo and have some questions about Nassib's too. So while Wilson has the arm strength there have been some reports he's a 3rd round talent and I have questions if he was a product of great talent/coaching prior to his senior year.

I would argue that Manuel is a 2nd Round option because he has elite skills for the position and just needs some refinement etc. and it looked like he was starting to do that his Sr year. and think he's more of a vocal leader than Nassib and Wilson. Barkley just worries me like Wilson in that both struggled when lost some good players around him.

DraftBoy
03-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Nassib because I don't think Wilson or Barkley make it that far.

justasportsfan
03-18-2013, 09:38 AM
BTW,people said Kaepernick was a 3rd or 4th .So depends who you're asking. Manuel could be a 2nd and he strikes me as a poor mans Kaepernick.

Mahdi
03-18-2013, 09:40 AM

Wilson should not go anywhere near the first or top of second.

Bill Cody
03-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Wilson should not go anywhere near the first or top of second.

I'm starting to get the sick feeling we're going to take Wilson at 8, tiny hands and all

SquishDaFish
03-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Nassib

Mahdi
03-18-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm starting to get the sick feeling we're going to take Wilson at 8, tiny hands and all

Same. If we do, get ready for Trent Edwards 2.0.

Bangarang
03-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Wilson

Historian
03-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Any punter with a high motor...

justasportsfan
03-18-2013, 09:54 AM

how so?

Bill Cody
03-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Not sure that comparison holds water. Edwards played scared, especially after the concussion- he wanted to get the ball out of his hands even if it was a 1 yard pass. Wilson is a tough guy and a leader. I actually like him and if he had 10" hands I'd say he's worth the shot at 8. The hand thing bothers me- it will be an issue for pass velocity and fumbling.

Mahdi
03-18-2013, 10:34 AM
how so?

To be fair I haven't finished watching everything I can find on him. Still more video there to see. But from what I have seen so far, Wilson throws a lot of 10 yard or less stuff and is mainly a touch passer.

Great accuracy from 0-10 yards, great throwing to RBs and WRs in the flat or short areas. Has excellent touch on his passes and seems like a smart kid. Stands in the pocket and has good presence to step up or avoid the rush.

Negatives however are glaring, although a touch passer he becomes inaccurate when going for the dart passes downfield. Is not a great thrower on the move, from what I saw his deep ball is very inaccurate and is not able to "fling" the ball. Also has very questionable decision making at times as he tries to complete impossible throws into coverage.

My biggest concern with Wilson is not his deep ball or lack of elite mobility but his ability to drive his throws. From everything ive seen he is not able to throw the tough NFL throws (skinny post, deep outs and ins, deep comeback)

I liken him to Trent as a prospect not looking at Trent's pro career.

Mr. Miyagi
03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Wow. So far opinions are in every which way. Tough subject.

Personally I don't think we can go wrong with any one of those 3 in the 2nd. You get what you pay for.

Bangarang
03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
To be fair I haven't finished watching everything I can find on him. Still more video there to see. But from what I have seen so far, Wilson throws a lot of 10 yard or less stuff and is mainly a touch passer.

Great accuracy from 0-10 yards, great throwing to RBs and WRs in the flat or short areas. Has excellent touch on his passes and seems like a smart kid. Stands in the pocket and has good presence to step up or avoid the rush.

Negatives however are glaring, although a touch passer he becomes inaccurate when going for the dart passes downfield. Is not a great thrower on the move, from what I saw his deep ball is very inaccurate and is not able to "fling" the ball. Also has very questionable decision making at times as he tries to complete impossible throws into coverage.

My biggest concern with Wilson is not his deep ball or lack of elite mobility but his ability to drive his throws. From everything ive seen he is not able to throw the tough NFL throws (skinny post, deep outs and ins, deep comeback)

I liken him to Trent as a prospect not looking at Trent's pro career.

From watching him it looks like the short throws are by design because his o-line wasn't able to give him much time. That can also be attributed to why he throws off his back foot and loses a lot of zip. You see him getting hit as he's stepping into a throw a lot.

when he gets enough time and can step ino a throw cleanly there is good velocity on downfield throws.

Mahdi
03-18-2013, 10:44 AM
From watching him it looks like the short throws are by design because his o-line wasn't able to give him much time. That can also be attributed to why he throws off his back foot and loses a lot of zip. You see him getting hit as he's stepping into a throw a lot.

when he gets enough time and can step ino a throw cleanly there is good velocity on downfield throws.

Maybe I haven't watched enough of him yet. I still plan to watch more. From what I have seen he doesn't have that zip. Also, I was careful to watch what he did when he did have time and was still not impressed.

tampabay25690
03-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Im with DB on this I would say Nassib as well becasue I feel Wilson and Barkley are going in the 1st round or right at the top of the 2nd.

k-oneputt
03-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Watch Wilson's game from his Jr. season against Texas A&M if you can find it.

Bangarang
03-18-2013, 11:15 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=efxfiS_dw-A

some good throws here by Wilson

k-oneputt
03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
If I was making the picks I would take Wilson then come back with Bray in the 3rd or 4th rd.

Start Jackson if needed to begin the season and devlop those two guys.

Bangarang
03-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Watch Wilson's game from his Jr. season against Texas A&M if you can find it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Na-gFUHKFQ&feature=related

That's all I could find. Regardless there were some very impressive throws by Wilson.

Pinkerton Security
03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
I think Nassib, only because he has the familiarity with the system, and I think that really would make a big difference. If it werent this i would choose Barkley.

Mahdi
03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Na-gFUHKFQ&feature=related

That's all I could find. Regardless there were some very impressive throws by Wilson.

Thanks I'll have a look-see.

Mouldsie
03-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Wilson if I had to pick one of those 3

justasportsfan
03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
these are throws I like that I see Brady, Brees and Rodgers make that I don't see a whole lot of other qb's are able to do.

5:36 - 7:30 - 8:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=918Kg5KYW3w

justasportsfan
03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
TD Pass 4:58
4:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9cAm-FJ8Eo

coastal
03-18-2013, 01:43 PM
none... whoever we think is the nest quarterback on the board at 8.... thats who we are taking.

PTI
03-18-2013, 03:30 PM
none... whoever we think is the nest quarterback on the board at 8.... thats who we are taking.

Unless 2 QBs somehow go before our pick, I see no way we can pass on a QB.

mjt328
03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Barkley without a doubt, although I'm skeptical he makes it to us at #8 - much less #40.
Once USC holds its pro day, I think Barkley will get back into the discussion of first QB off the board.

When I watch film on these prospects, Barkley easily has the best accuracy. He's the only quarterback that consistently hits his receivers in full-stride at all levels of the field. He's got the best mechanics of the group and he's the only prospect who played most of his time in an under-center NFL offense (as opposed to in the spread). I have no idea where these questions about his arm strength come from, and personally I think it's a load of BS. He's got a beautiful deep ball and does a great job at the sideline-out pattern (hardest throw in the NFL). I think a lot of people have a bias against USC quarterbacks because of past failures, but I can't think of a dumber argument against drafting a quarterback. As the early-favorite to go #1 overall, I think he is facing a lot harder scrutiny than the others in this class.

Nassib is a popular name on this board, but I think half of that is because of our HC and OC. He's got some good qualities, don't get me wrong. I love his lightning-quick release. And his short/intermediate game is very strong. But whenever he tries pushing the ball downfield, his game just falls apart. His long-ball accuracy is not very good. I've watched 5 full games of his, and I just don't see the coaches asking him to make difficult throws. Everything is under 20 yards and between the hashes.

I just don't understand the fascination with Wilson. For all the criticism of Barkley's arm, Wilson is the only QB prospect that doesn't look like he can hit every NFL throw. His deep throws almost always wobble and fall short. His sideline throws float and hang in the air. I also think he's overly conservative and chooses to check-down more than he should. If we draft this guy, everyone is going to be screaming that we drafted Trent Edwards Jr.

scartown
03-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Nassib

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
mark it down 4 of the top 5 qbs will be gone by our 2nd pick.

if you want a qb, then you have to take a risk at 8

- - - Updated - - -

hell, i would trade up to number 1 to get geno, but thats me

YardRat
03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Nassib if only those three are eligible, but still think they are going to reach a couple of rounds at #41 for Scott or Bray.

Bangarang
03-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Barkley without a doubt, although I'm skeptical he makes it to us at #8 - much less #40.
Once USC holds its pro day, I think Barkley will get back into the discussion of first QB off the board.

When I watch film on these prospects, Barkley easily has the best accuracy. He's the only quarterback that consistently hits his receivers in full-stride at all levels of the field. He's got the best mechanics of the group and he's the only prospect who played most of his time in an under-center NFL offense (as opposed to in the spread).

You do realize that Wilson and Nassib both played under center right?

coastal
03-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Unless 2 QBs somehow go before our pick, I see no way we can pass on a QB.
Even if Geno and Barkley are gone... they'll try like hell to trade down, but even then I think they pull the trigger.

swiper
03-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Wilson.

mjt328
03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
You do realize that Wilson and Nassib both played under center right?

Yes.
But they both played the vast majority of their time in shotgun.

Barkley is the only top QB prospect this year that played mostly under center, which is what I said.

Novacane
03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
There is no way we have our choice of the 3 with our second pick. No way!!

Beebe's Kid
03-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Who'd you say the jerk was, jerk?

- - - Updated - - -

None. Chan doesn't use TEs.

Mr. Miyagi
03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
There is no way we have our choice of the 3 with our second pick. No way!!
Way. Not guaranteed, but definitely a possible scenerio.

swiper
03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
standingbuffalo43

Mski
03-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Matt Barkley
Tyler Wilson
Ryan Nassib

PICK!
seeing as i'm okay with us taking barkley with #8... he is also the one of the three i would take in the second.... infact i would be okay with taking a qb at 8 and barkley again in the second

CoolBreeze
03-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Matt Barkley
Tyler Wilson
Ryan Nassib

PICK!

I guess since your making us pick, I pick Nassib( just because of his relationship to Marrone). However, to annoy you I'm gonna tell you straight up I think Wilson will be a career backup, along with Nassib. And I'll tell you like every other fan who has this delusion that we can pick Barkley, or Nassib. WHERE'S THE ARM? Nassib nor Barkley has the arm strength to play in Buffalo. Sure they might have good September's, but what happens when the winds start swirling in October? Could I be wrong...sure, but most likely not. If we take Barkley in the first (cause he will be a first) I'm going to freak, and WNY will hear my screaming. Smith, Glennon or nothing!!!!!

CoolBreeze
03-19-2013, 11:17 AM
mark it down 4 of the top 5 qbs will be gone by our 2nd pick.

if you want a qb, then you have to take a risk at 8

- - - Updated - - -

hell, i would trade up to number 1 to get geno, but thats me

I like your style dude..

Mr. Miyagi
03-19-2013, 11:21 AM
I guess since your making us pick, I pick Nassib( just because of his relationship to Marrone). However, to annoy you I'm gonna tell you straight up I think Wilson will be a career backup, along with Nassib. And I'll tell you like every other fan who has this delusion that we can pick Barkley, or Nassib. WHERE'S THE ARM? Nassib nor Barkley has the arm strength to play in Buffalo. Sure they might have good September's, but what happens when the winds start swirling in October? Could I be wrong...sure, but most likely not. If we take Barkley in the first (cause he will be a first) I'm going to freak, and WNY will hear my screaming. Smith, Glennon or nothing!!!!!
I'm no pro scout and neither are you I assume. I'm qualified to judge whether Wilson or Nassib has a good enough arm at all. Did Brady have a good arm coming out of Michigan? I don't think so. Andy Dalton was supposed to have a noodle arm. Brees and Russell Wilson were too short to be effective. Flacco was too tall and skinny and immobile. On the other hand, Jamarcus Russell had a huge arm and so did Losman, but that didn't make them any better. T

he point is, let's not write off these QBs just because of their perceived lack of physical traits.

CoolBreeze
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm no pro scout and neither are you I assume. I'm qualified to judge whether Wilson or Nassib has a good enough arm at all. Did Brady have a good arm coming out of Michigan? I don't think so. Andy Dalton was supposed to have a noodle arm. Brees and Russell Wilson were too short to be effective. Flacco was too tall and skinny and immobile. On the other hand, Jamarcus Russell had a huge arm and so did Losman, but that didn't make them any better. T

he point is, let's not write off these QBs just because of their perceived lack of physical traits.

Oh you're absolutely right, you never know sir. But let's face facts here, Brady had camera's rolling on defensive signals for the first half of his career. Andy Dalton is solid in my opinion, but how many playoff games has he won? He's proven notta.. Brees is great but maybe I envision his triumphant superbowl victory with a little sympathy from the league for Katrina. Flacco you're one hundred percent on, except how is a QB ever ever considered too tall? Russell and JP had all the talent in the world physically, however their brains can't read Defenses. My point is you can't have a guy at QB in Buffalo with a weak arm, can't happen. You have to push through the wind, and snow and I don't believe many QB's in this years draft can do that efficiently here that's all.

trapezeus
03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Oh you're absolutely right, you never know sir. But let's face facts here, Brady had camera's rolling on defensive signals for the first half of his career. Andy Dalton is solid in my opinion, but how many playoff games has he won? He's proven notta.. Brees is great but maybe I envision his triumphant superbowl victory with a little sympathy from the league for Katrina. Flacco you're one hundred percent on, except how is a QB ever ever considered too tall? Russell and JP had all the talent in the world physically, however their brains can't read Defenses. My point is you can't have a guy at QB in Buffalo with a weak arm, can't happen. You have to push through the wind, and snow and I don't believe many QB's in this years draft can do that efficiently here that's all.

valid point. you need a qb who is smart to make the right calls and deal with the elements. means finding a qb probably deserves a lot of picks over the years so that you can miss and keep going. but the bills like to reach for their guy and then wait 5 years before moving on. hopefully the new CB allows them to make the decisions faster.

Syderick
03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
If Geno's at 8, they got to get him. If he's not there, pick a need or trade down and then pick a Qb. They can get a Qb in the 2nd as well. But each Qb is going to have some risk to him, so let's hoped they get the right one this time.