PDA

View Full Version : gee maybe Myers isn't so bad afterall!

DetDannyWilliams
03-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Florida Panthers defenseman Brian Campbell has logged plenty of icetime this season; 766:53 to be exact, the most among NHL skaters. For a team that is last in the NHL goal differential and has allowed the most goals, Campbell's plus-minus rating is likely to take a hit from the minutes he is logging and the Panthers' defensive and goaltending struggles.
Entering Monday's action, Campbell, 33, is last among the 765 skaters in the NHL with a minus-20 rating. A number that is staggering when you consider that he is a plus-24 for his career. He also posted five straight season with a positive plus-minus rating before posting a minus-9 rating in 2011-12 with the Panthers.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-03-18/brian-campbell-league-worst-plus-minus-florida-panthers-defenseman-dale-tallon

still I would take Campbell over Myers

Skooby
03-18-2013, 10:43 PM
2007 is calling, to say it's over.

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Florida Panthers defenseman Brian Campbell has logged plenty of icetime this season; 766:53 to be exact, the most among NHL skaters. For a team that is last in the NHL goal differential and has allowed the most goals, Campbell's plus-minus rating is likely to take a hit from the minutes he is logging and the Panthers' defensive and goaltending struggles.
Entering Monday's action, Campbell, 33, is last among the 765 skaters in the NHL with a minus-20 rating. A number that is staggering when you consider that he is a plus-24 for his career. He also posted five straight season with a positive plus-minus rating before posting a minus-9 rating in 2011-12 with the Panthers.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-03-18/brian-campbell-league-worst-plus-minus-florida-panthers-defenseman-dale-tallon

still I would take Campbell over Myers
Why?

Myers is playing like **** but he's only 23. There's still a chance he can get better. Soupy's on the downside of his career and is only going to decline.

If we were a 4 seed with at least an outside shot at winning the Cup, I'd take Campbell for his experience. But this team is 3 or 4 years from being good (assuming everything is done right) and Campbell will be retired by then. Might as well let Myers take his lumps in an already wasted season and see if he can learn something from it.

PTI
03-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Campbell is great on the PP, gets no 5 on 5 points.

SkateZilla
03-19-2013, 09:53 AM
the Umberger Soup has gone bad.....

Captain Obvious
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
But this team is 3 or 4 years from being good (assuming everything is done right)
The team can be good again in 2 years time if everything is done right.. 4 years is a huge exaggeration

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 09:58 AM
The team can be good again in 2 years time if everything is done right.. 4 years is a huge exaggeration

No it can't. We've got tons of cap tied up in mediocre players and not much talent coming up the pipeline. This team isn't going anywhere until we can do something about the cap hits from guys like Stafford and Pominville and even Myers (and remember- I know you are going to try spin this but I never said I was opposed to moving Myers- I simply said I'd rather have him than Soupy). Hell, I don't think Vanek's play justifies his cap hit either, but no other team will take that hit off our hands and, sadly, he's the most talented player we have, so even if we could move him, it would probably be counterproductive.

Captain Obvious
03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
and not much talent coming up the pipeline.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team-rankings/fall-team-rankings-2012-13/page/2

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Nice opinion piece that still has us at the middle of the league in terms of future talent. And given what's transpired over the last few months, it looks like he overrated Grigs and Foligno.

Captain Obvious
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Hockeys Future has the Sabres ranked 13th out of 30 teams in the NHL for prospects.. The Sabres do have a few good defensemen in there system.. yes we are all disappointed and frustrated with the Sabres terrible season and wish they were going to be participants in the playoffs but a small consolation prize is drafting either Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon and that would even more destroys OpiV assessment that the Sabres are devoid of any prospects

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Hockeys Future has the Sabres ranked 13th out of 30 teams in the NHL for prospects.. The Sabres do have a few good defensemen in there system.. yes we are all disappointed and frustrated with the Sabres terrible season and wish they were going to be participants in the playoffs but a small consolation prize is drafting either Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon and that would even more destroys OpiV assessment that the Sabres are devoid of any prospects

So, you think an opinion piece and some guys we haven't drafted yet proves me wrong? Gimme a ****ing break.

Like I said, you can't consider that Hockey's Future piece to still be accurate after what we've seen from Grigs and Foligno the past couple of months.

Oh, and beyond that, you said that this team can be good again in two years. Even if that article is correct about all our prospects, there's no time frame given and it's ridiculous to think that they will all be ready to make this team competitive in 2 years. So, you took a comment I made about being good in 2 years and attempted to extrapolate it into saying we had no prospects.

Nice try but it doesn't work like that.

DetDannyWilliams
03-19-2013, 11:23 AM

please read my post http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/217724-anyone-remember-how-awful-the-06-07-Flyers-team-was

Captain Obvious
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
please read my post http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/217724-anyone-remember-how-awful-the-06-07-Flyers-team-was

Yes I did read that.. And the next year 2007/2008 the Flyers made it to the Eastern Conference Finals. Are you trying to prove a point to OPiv that teams who finish last or 2nd last in a year can make the playoffs the following season?

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Yes I did read that.. And the next year 2007/2008 the Flyers made it to the Eastern Conference Finals. Are you trying to prove a point to OPiv that teams who finish last or 2nd last in a year can make the playoffs the following season?

Exception to prove the rule.

Just because it happened one time to one team doesn't mean it can or will happen to the Sabres.

Mski
03-19-2013, 03:47 PM
so pittsburgh going from last in the league to in the playoffs 1 year after the lock out, to the cup finals two years after finishing dead last, to winning the cup 3 years later, thats the exception too?

- - - Updated - - -

or chicago going from last in the division to the conference finals in 1 year, and cup winners with in two?... exception again?

Downinfloflo
03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
You know every year a team wins the Cup...What's taking the Sabres so long?

Sabres just like the Bills are 3 years away from doing anything.

OpIv37
03-19-2013, 10:39 PM
so pittsburgh going from last in the league to in the playoffs 1 year after the lock out, to the cup finals two years after finishing dead last, to winning the cup 3 years later, thats the exception too?

- - - Updated - - -

or chicago going from last in the division to the conference finals in 1 year, and cup winners with in two?... exception again?
Pittsburgh got the #1 pick two years in a row and at least one of those was rigged.

Mski
03-20-2013, 10:05 AM
i dont disagree that Pitt getting Crosby was rigged... it wqas, just like Cleveland getting Lebron... my point was you said the speedy turn around of the flyers was an exception to the rule, i was just pointing out that lately their model is more the rule than the exception, look at Columbus this year, trade away your franchise player, and now they're arguably the second hottest team in the west

OpIv37
03-20-2013, 10:10 AM
i dont disagree that Pitt getting Crosby was rigged... it wqas, just like Cleveland getting Lebron... my point was you said the speedy turn around of the flyers was an exception to the rule, i was just pointing out that lately their model is more the rule than the exception, look at Columbus this year, trade away your franchise player, and now they're arguably the second hottest team in the west

the real way to win now is contributions from young guys on cheap contracts. I heard on NHL Radio yesterday that the year Carolina won the Cup, Cam Ward and Staal counted a combined $1.5 million against the cap. When Pittsburgh won, Crosby and Malkin were still on rookie contracts and were making peanuts, comparatively speaking- I think they said they were a combined $3.5 or $4 million against the cap. Chicago was in a similar situation with Kane when they won.

So, if we are are really going for a 2 year turnaround, who are these young guys that are going to come up and play at a world-class level? Foligno? Grigs? Please. Other than Miller and Vanek, who are the vets that are going to guide them and put the team over the top?