PDA

View Full Version : Fill out the defensive roster for '13

YardRat
03-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Looking at the Jets roster from last season and simply adding up the number of games played by each position, it appears the defensive unit was comprised of...

8 D-linemen
7 LBers
5 Cornerbacks
4 Safeties

Here is the Bills current roster of signed players, with '13 UFA's in parenthesis....

DE-M.Williams/Anderson/J.Gilbert (Moore)
DT-Williams/Dareus/Carrington/T.Troup/C.Bryant/J.Ross (S.Johnson)
OLB-Bradham/Manny Lawson/Moats/White/B.Scott/B.Smith (Morrison)
ILB-Sheppard/G.Lloyd
CB-Williams/Gilmore/Brooks/Rogers/C Butler/TJ Heath/McKelvin
SS-Searcy
FS-Byrd/M.Silva/D.Ellis

Considering the 8-7-5-4 make-up from last year's Jets team, and using the above along with any FA acquisitions and draft picks, what do you envision the defensive roster to look like for this year?

EDS
03-18-2013, 08:05 PM
I see a need for at least 2 linebackers, 1 defensive lineman and a safety.

The Jokeman
03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
LDE/OLB Mario Williams*, Kyle Moore (re-signed)
NT Kyle Williams, Sione Pouha (UFA NY Jets) Torell Troupe
DT Alex Carrington
RDE Marcell Dareus*, Mark Anderson,
*Mario starts at OLB in 3-4 fronts and LDE in 4-3 fronts, Dareus can slide in to DT in 4-3 fronts.

LOLB/DE Mario Williams**, Brandon Sharpe (UDFA -Syracuse)
LILB Nigel Bradham** Chris White,
RILB Kelvin Sheppard, Rocky McIntosh (UFA -St Louis Rams)
ROLB Manny Lawson, Michael Buchannan** (3rd Round draft pick)
**Mario shifts to LDE on 4-3 formations, Bradham to WLB, Buchannan could also play DE, and Bryan Scott could also be a factor as a nickel/dime LB.

SS DeNorris Searcy, Bryan Scott
FS Jerius Byrd, Aaron Williams
CB Stephon Gilmore, Justin Rodgers,
CB Leodis McKelvin, Ron Brooks, Chibuikem Okoro (6th Round draft pick)

I could also see us signing Eric Smith as an UFA due to his ties to the Jets and flexibility to play FS/SS

Don't Panic
03-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Gonna need another ILB for sure, and a DE/OLB type who can play in space. Probably a SS too. I'd like to see the first two come in the draft, the third in FA.

The Jokeman
03-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Gonna need another ILB for sure, and a DE/OLB type who can play in space. Probably a SS too. I'd like to see the first two come in the draft, the third in FA.

My plan calls for us to re-sign DE Kyle Moore, sign UFA ILB McIntosh, draft OLB/DE tweener Mike Buchannan, sign undrafted tweener DE/OLB Brandon Sharpe and shift Scott to SS and/or sign Eric Smith.

Mski
03-19-2013, 08:58 AM
LDE/OLB Mario Williams*, Kyle Moore (re-signed)
NT Kyle Williams, Sione Pouha (UFA NY Jets) Torell Troupe
DT Alex Carrington
RDE Marcell Dareus*, Mark Anderson,
*Mario starts at OLB in 3-4 fronts and LDE in 4-3 fronts, Dareus can slide in to DT in 4-3 fronts.

LOLB/DE Mario Williams**, Brandon Sharpe (UDFA -Syracuse)
LILB Nigel Bradham** Chris White,
RILB Kelvin Sheppard, Rocky McIntosh (UFA -St Louis Rams)
ROLB Manny Lawson, Michael Buchannan** (3rd Round draft pick)
**Mario shifts to LDE on 4-3 formations, Bradham to WLB, Buchannan could also play DE, and Bryan Scott could also be a factor as a nickel/dime LB.

SS DeNorris Searcy, Bryan Scott
FS Jerius Byrd, Aaron Williams
CB Stephon Gilmore, Justin Rodgers,
CB Leodis McKelvin, Ron Brooks, Chibuikem Okoro (6th Round draft pick)

I could also see us signing Eric Smith as an UFA due to his ties to the Jets and flexibility to play FS/SS
i really like the way you laid that out with the pick up of pouha and moving williams to safety

ServoBillieves
03-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Hole, other hole, more holes, and a hole.

jpdex12
03-19-2013, 01:29 PM
all we need is Bobby Bouche!

YardRat
03-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Here's my shot at it...

DE-M.Williams/Anderson/K.Moore re-signed/DeMontre Moore, 1st Rd
DT-Williams/Dareus/S.Pouha FA/Carrington
OLB-Bradham/Manny Lawson/B.Scott/J.Knott UDFA
ILB-Sheppard/J.Bostic 4th Rd/G.Lloyd
CB-Gilmore/McKelvin/Brooks/Rogers/T.Howard 6th Rd
SS-Searcy/Leonhard FA
FS-Byrd/A.Williams moved from CB

Three draft picks, two free agents, one re-signing and one UDFA. Obviously some of these guys can't be plugged in to one spot (as Jokeman pointed out). I also like re-signing Moore, moving Williams to safety and bringing in Pouha. I could live with Smith over Leonhard, I just feel like they have to bring in a couple of former Jets to help with the defense and I don't see the LBers having any value left on the field. I wouldn't be completely surprised if B.Scott actually earned a starting safety spot to begin the season.