PDA

View Full Version : IMHO - San Fran will move up in the draft

Skooby
03-19-2013, 07:28 PM
The rich get richer, San Fran was awarded 3 compensatory picks (1 -4th round / 2- 7th), they have a total of 14 picks now. Who in their right mind expects them to draft 14 new guys on a team this talented?

These are guys going to try and move up, several times over & package many of these picks into early round picks. That makes the most sense to me & anyone paying attention.

fluteflakes
03-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Of course they're going to move up. The question is, how much value can we get for #8?

Scumbag College
03-19-2013, 08:25 PM
SF can really use a corner...maybe they'd be interested in a Dee Millner (sp?)

I'm guessing if they wanted him at 8 they would have to give up at least their first three picks to move up from 31. Even with all of those picks that might be a little steep to move up for them.

Skooby
03-19-2013, 08:40 PM
SF can really use a corner...maybe they'd be interested in a Dee Millner (sp?)

I'm guessing if they wanted him at 8 they would have to give up at least their first three picks to move up from 31. Even with all of those picks that might be a little steep to move up for them.

There's value there if we take 3 picks for 1, somehow.

capitolneal
03-19-2013, 09:31 PM
I don't think u can trade comp picks?? But do we wanna move that far down

Skooby
03-19-2013, 09:36 PM
I don't think u can trade comp picks?? But do we wanna move that far down

If we get their three 31st / 34th / 93rd picks & a their first next year, then it's great.

THRILLHO
03-19-2013, 10:13 PM
You cannot trade comp picks.

I would not be surprised to see them trade picks this year for picks next year, much like the Patriots have done in the past. Somehow finagle a high second round pick then trade it for a first rounder in 2014. That is the smartest thing for them to do.

Or just trade for Revis.

psubills62
03-19-2013, 10:21 PM
While you can't trade compensatory picks, I'm assuming that the point of mentioning them was that having them makes San Fran more likely to be willing to give up one or two of their other picks.

I'd love to trade down, but I've seen nothing from the FO that indicates they'd be willing to do so. I doubt Milliner reaches #8, but Rhodes could be an option for San Fran at #8 if they wanted to trade up with us.

Skooby
03-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I can see this setting up.

clumping platelets
03-19-2013, 11:06 PM
They could be looking at a CB or a NT.......they could move up to #8 for Lotulelei

#8 for #31, #34, 7th 2013, and a #2 in 2014

Mouldsie
03-19-2013, 11:09 PM
I feel like I would try very hard if I were Buddy to get a 2014 Round 1 pick from someone because we may need the ammunition

IlluminatusUIUC
03-20-2013, 02:31 AM
If we get their three 31st / 34th / 93rd picks & a their first next year, then it's great.

Two firsts, a high second and a third? Who could they possibly want that badly?

San Francisco is a stacked team, make no mistake, but their team still has holes: Right now they have no real nose tackle, one safety, no backup QB, and they have a LOT of expensive free agents coming up. I think their moves will be more of the "Move back into the 3rd round" or "trade pick for a higher pick in a later draft" type.

Bert102176
03-20-2013, 02:48 AM
They always could take the number 1 WR in the draft

DraftBoy
03-20-2013, 06:36 AM
If we could pull it I'd love to trade down twice, move down to the mid-low teens and then again to low 20's-32. Add picks this year and next.

We haven't really seen Buddy do that yet will be interesting to see if he has takers this year.

I'd rather have four picks in Round 2 and 3, then one pick in Round 1.

don137
03-20-2013, 06:56 AM
I don't think Buddy has it in him to trade down. I know he has traded up before (last year for TJ Graham) but don't recall him trading down.

trapezeus
03-20-2013, 07:26 AM
would san fran move up to take a qb...get some kaepernick insurance. with alex gone, and the team made for win now, perhaps taking a qb to work with harbaugh the entire time would be a good move for them.

just thinking outloud.

DraftBoy
03-20-2013, 08:05 AM
would san fran move up to take a qb...get some kaepernick insurance. with alex gone, and the team made for win now, perhaps taking a qb to work with harbaugh the entire time would be a good move for them.

just thinking outloud.

I'd expect them to take a QB near the area that Washington took Cousins last year. A guy like a Zac Dysert who can move and run the read option is ideal for them in that Round 4 or 5 territory.

ServoBillieves
03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
I'd expect them to take a QB near the area that Washington took Cousins last year. A guy like a Zac Dysert who can move and run the read option is ideal for them in that Round 4 or 5 territory.

I see more of a Matt Scott mid round pick with them. Although I seriously wanted Kaep due to his ability to throw and run, Matt Scott kinda sticks out as that two way threat they covet.

Anywho, I am interested in who they would be willing to jump to 8 for. Every GM in the league knows we're desperate at 8 so they would have a lot of leverage on us if we wanted to move back.

OpIv37
03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
14 picks and they were in the SB last year? Damn, that's scary.

Trade up, get some high quality players on rookie contracts- they could be a threat for the next 5 years at least.

better days
03-20-2013, 09:37 AM
If we could pull it I'd love to trade down twice, move down to the mid-low teens and then again to low 20's-32. Add picks this year and next.

We haven't really seen Buddy do that yet will be interesting to see if he has takers this year.

I'd rather have four picks in Round 2 and 3, then one pick in Round 1.

I would love to see that myself.

RedEyE
03-20-2013, 09:38 AM
There are going to be a lot of teams looking to move down this year. San Fran will get best value for trade. Is 8 overall high enough for them?

Skooby
03-20-2013, 10:02 AM
8th is a sweet spot of talent & not that high of a salary.

clumping platelets
03-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Depends on who they are targeting.............they could be the market to replace TE Walker so Eifert at #31 or #34 makes sense

They would need to move into the top 5 for Millner.....likely not an option

#8 gets them into position for one of OT's (A. Davis UFA after 2013), DL, or CB

Unlikely they use all those picks......wouldn't surprise me if they ended up with 2 #1's this year

DraftBoy
03-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Depends on who they are targeting.............they could be the market to replace TE Walker so Eifert at #31 or #34 makes sense

They would need to move into the top 5 for Millner.....likely not an option

#8 gets them into position for one of OT's (A. Davis UFA after 2013), DL, or CB

Unlikely they use all those picks......wouldn't surprise me if they ended up with 2 #1's this year

I dont think Milliner goes Top 5 or even Top 10 at this point.

PTI
03-20-2013, 10:39 AM
49ers will take a good QB in round 2 or 3 I believe to be backup and as insurance. THeir team is stacked.

trapezeus
03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
the 49ers are so clearly favorites based on how they played at the end and the youth and harbaugh. i never disliked the 49ers, but it would be kind of satisfying to see them really go for it and fall flat on their faces with the seahawks getting good. but i hate pete carroll and think that russell wilson saved his hide....big time.

CleveSteve
03-20-2013, 12:11 PM
I dont think Milliner goes Top 5 or even Top 10 at this point.

Why do you say that? Corner is a top need for JAX, OAK, PHI, DET, and CLE in the top 10. The JETS may be trading Revis. Arizona cut a starting corner (granted, they are far more likely to take a OT or QB).

gonzo1105
03-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Why do you say that? Corner is a top need for JAX, OAK, PHI, DET, and CLE in the top 10. The JETS may be trading Revis. Arizona cut a starting corner (granted, they are far more likely to take a OT or QB).

He's going in the top 10. He has his own set of rankings and if Milliner isn't a top 10 guy in his opinion then he's not going top 10. He had Gilmore as a 40 something prospect last year and look where he ended up going in the draft. Milliner will be a top 10 pick easy.

DraftBoy
03-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Because need is one thing but talent is another. Milliner for all his size and strength does not flip his hips well enough for me. I think he's going to struggle early on.

For all the grief I had about the Bills taking Gilmore he was far smoother in and out of his break than Milliner ever has been.

- - - Updated - - -

He's going in the top 10. He has his own set of rankings and if Milliner isn't a top 10 guy in his opinion then he's not going top 10. He had Gilmore as a 40 something prospect last year and look where he ended up going in the draft. Milliner will be a top 10 pick easy.

What's the point of having rankings if you don't believe in them? It's easy to praise every pick or act like you get them all right. That just seems completely ridiculous to me.

Mr. Pink
03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
I feel like I would try very hard if I were Buddy to get a 2014 Round 1 pick from someone because we may need the ammunition

I would agree with this.

Then with the potential QB crop next year being better, we may have enough to move up to get the top guy in the class.

I wouldn't even be opposed to trading our 1 this year to a weak to middling team for their 1 next year and a later round pick this year.

SquishDaFish
03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Wow how did you guess that one Skooby? Captain Obvious LOL

gonzo1105
03-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Because need is one thing but talent is another. Milliner for all his size and strength does not flip his hips well enough for me. I think he's going to struggle early on.

For all the grief I had about the Bills taking Gilmore he was far smoother in and out of his break than Milliner ever has been.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the point of having rankings if you don't believe in them? It's easy to praise every pick or act like you get them all right. That just seems completely ridiculous to me.

Ok, I get that you have your own rankings and you believe in them but there comes a point where you have to realize that geez I have Milliner much lower in my rankings but he still going to go in the top 10. The way you worded it is I Dont have Milliner in the top 10 so he wont go in the top 10. Yes he is. If you believe that he would be a reach in the top 10 say that you dont believe he is a top 10 pick because he doesn't have fluid hips and so on but dont come out and flat out say that hes not a top 10 pick because you dont have him in the top 10 of your rankings. As a matter of fact, the Lions from all reports love him and would seriously consider taking him at # 5.

Mr. Pink
03-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Millner will go top 10.

He's the top CB in the draft and teams love secondary help.

DraftBoy
03-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Ok, I get that you have your own rankings and you believe in them but there comes a point where you have to realize that geez I have Milliner much lower in my rankings but he still going to go in the top 10. The way you worded it is I Dont have Milliner in the top 10 so he wont go in the top 10. Yes he is. If you believe that he would be a reach in the top 10 say that you dont believe he is a top 10 pick because he doesn't have fluid hips and so on but dont come out and flat out say that hes not a top 10 pick because you dont have him in the top 10 of your rankings. As a matter of fact, the Lions from all reports love him and would seriously consider taking him at # 5.

My rankings aren't predictions of pick level, I could care less where a player in drafted. I don't do predictions in that way because its pointless and holds no value over time. All of my rankings are based on five year projections. I project value, I don't predict it. Getting the most mock picks rights means little in the grand scheme if you thought JP Losman really was worth a first round pick.

My comment on Milliner had nothing to do with my rankings but rather the fact that I don't see the fit in the Top 10. Detroit makes the most sense but they have been linked to every CB in the draft for three years running and badly need outside pass rush help and appear to be enamored with Werner who makes more sense to them. Beyond Detroit you have who else in that bad of CB need? Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo, and maybe the Jets. All of whom have larger needs at other positions like OT, DE, and QB. Could he go Top 10? Sure, but when is the last time you saw a CB go Top 10 who has stiff hips, lacks ideal break, and has always been steady but never truly stand out? Think about it he's never even been the best CB in his own conference.

DraftBoy
03-21-2013, 09:06 AM
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/03/why-the-lions-are-not-drafting-dee-milliner/

This is the time of year where far too many people fall victim to the phenomenon of groupthink. A spurious idea about a team or a draft prospect catches fire and burns up mock drafts, internet message boards, and Twitter. Often it begins innocuously enough, with a simple projection by a popular pundit positing a player to a team because the need seems to fit the talent. Somehow this gets construed as some sort of Old Testament commandment from the NFL Draft Gods, of which Mike Mayock from the NFL Network is the reigning Zeus.

Mayock and others assigned Alabama CB Dee Milliner to the Lions at the 5th overall pick in mock drafts over the past month, and this is somehow being treated as gospel by the teeming throngs of sycophantic followers. No disrespect to Mayock, whose work I greatly respect and whose candid presence and persona is a real treat, but this is just not going to happen. Here are several reasons why the Lions will not take Milliner despite what the message board know-it-alls and broad-scoped national analysts will tell you.

Jeff Risdon is a writer at Real GM and also used to be a former NFL Consultant for scouting purposes. He also happens to be a partner site of my own.

Skooby
03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/03/why-the-lions-are-not-drafting-dee-milliner/

Jeff Risdon is a writer at Real GM and also used to be a former NFL Consultant for scouting purposes. He also happens to be a partner site of my own.

Well isn't that special?

DraftBoy
03-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Well isn't that special?

I like to think so.

feldspar
03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
There will be a lot of competition to deal with the 49ers in whatever trade-up they wish to orchestrate. Other teams would likely want to trade down and get extra picks too, and this will affect how much the 49ers will have to surrender in order to move up. I could see any of the teams that need a QB doing this just as easily as the Bills, and some teams have higher picks to offer the '9ers.

What I'm saying is that the 49ers are in a position of strength and have all the leverage in these negotiations to trade up, or so it would seem.

Mouldsie
03-23-2013, 09:58 PM
I agree the Lions will likely not take Milliner but he will go top 10 IMO.

I think the Lions take Ansah and piss me off.