PDA

View Full Version : Why has Buddy Nix made the team worse?

bf1
03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
I don't mean for this to be a troll post. The team has gotten worse under Buddy Nix's leadership (or lack thereof). There is no denying or arguing that.

Why do you think that is?

Pinkerton Security
03-20-2013, 03:16 PM
I honestly dont think we're any worse. I think we have a better talent base than we had before, but they have struggled mightily with putting the extra pieces in place, and our coaches have done a piss-poor job of utilizing our strengths. If we had a solid QB I truly think we'd be a pretty good team. Neither our D or O are good enough to lean on the other. Most championship caliber teams usually have one very strong unit. We have neither.

bf1
03-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Let the win loss record speak for itself. With no signs of improvement.

bf1
03-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Win percentage during era or horrendous pre Nix: 40.28%
Win percentage during era or horrendous after Nix: 33.33% (37.50% best season)

Pinkerton Security
03-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Let the win loss record speak for itself. With no signs of improvement.

Im just playing devils advocate....

we have one of the best playmakers in the NFL in Spiller....we never had that before.
We have a very good D-line which, with some young secondary players, is a solid base for a D. We suck at LB

The place where I can agree is that our O-line was good and a point of strength, and they let that go to s***

I dont think we're any better, but I dont think we're really much worse.

There are signs of improvement, it just doesnt fit your theory therefore you will deny they exist. There are also signs of steep drop-off.

All Im saying is, we werent very good before, and although our record is slightly worse, I'd rather build a team around what we have now as opposed to before.

bf1
03-20-2013, 03:30 PM

we have one of the best playmakers in the NFL in Spiller....we never had that before.
We have a very good D-line which, with some young secondary players, is a solid base for a D. We suck at LB

The place where I can agree is that our O-line was good and a point of strength, and they let that go to s***

There are signs of improvement, it just doesnt fit your theory therefore you will deny they exist. There are also signs of steep drop-off.

All Im saying is, we werent very good before, and although our record is slightly worse, I'd rather build a team around what we have now as opposed to before.

With that logic, than you need to call Dick Jauron a head coaching genius for putting up a better record with so much less.

BLeonard
03-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Did you really expect anything positive to come out of a guy getting his first GM job at age 70?

After all these years, it should be crystal clear...

The GM isn't the problem.
The Head Coach isn't the problem.
The players aren't the problem.

The problem, is Team Ownership. Always has been and until Ralph Wilson is gone, it always will be. How else do you explain a guy like Russ Brandon getting promotion after promotion, when the football team hasn't made the playoffs since the Clinton Administration?

Some will say "Russ is doing his job, he's getting people to buy a bad product year after year." To those of you who believe that, I have to ask the following:

What does that say about the people that Russ keeps getting to fork over their money?

Someone on here, last week or so said "Russ keeps selling us the same turd in a different wrapper every year." Well, if people keep buying it, why wouldn't he?

Hell if you put turds up for auction on Ebay and people kept buying them, wouldn't you continue to do it? Would you really care why people were buying the turds?

-Bill

feldspar
03-20-2013, 08:22 PM
To me, the major reason for the failure has been the quarterback position...not addressing that. I'm sitting there on my couch praying that they take Kaepernick and then Wilson, but instead they sit on Fitzpatrick and throw him a wad of cash. That was the major blunder of Nix so far. Hiring Chan Gailey comes in close second. A lot of things snowballed from those two things. You need a coach and a QB, and we had neither under Nix. Who knows what kind of input Gailey had in that insane Fitz contract? But that's kind of beside the point.

The funny thing is that I KNOW Nix is aware of the importance of a QB, yet it's inexplicable that the Bills go with Fitz...without even a real contingency plan.

BillsFever21
03-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Can we pick multiple answers?

- Nix doesn't have a clue as to what he's doing

- He probably is constrained to a point by another clueless person in his position in Russ Brandon. As cheap as Ralph is he did let him spend money last year and he didn't do a very good job at it.

- Unfortunately and sadly this this is probably his plan and it has been a horrible one at that.

- Chan was REALLY bad but he didn't hire himself for three years. Buddy Nix was the one who hired him and tried to pass him off as a legitimate HC.

So basically yeah the team is worse since he's been here. Our record is even worse then it was during the Jauron era and the majority of our best players wasn't drafted by him. He has done a horrible job himself in the draft. We were lucky to get more then one starting worthy player out of each one of his drafts and passing on many good QB's not to mention his horrible signing of Fitzpatrick and overpayment of Mario Williams, etc.

OpIv37
03-20-2013, 08:52 PM

We have a good DL on paper. We don't have a good DL on the field.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-20-2013, 09:29 PM
People picked any answer other than "He doesn't have a clue what he's doing"? We're on our 3rd DC and our 3rd defensive scheme in less than four seasons.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-20-2013, 10:20 PM
because he's even worse than Inspector Cleauseau in that he doesn't even have a cleu

better days
03-21-2013, 04:46 AM
We have a good DL on paper. We don't have a good DL on the field.

Well, they did not play well LAST YEAR. It remains to be seen how they play this year with good Coaching & an aggressive scheme.

Pinkerton Security
03-21-2013, 06:31 AM
With that logic, than you need to call Dick Jauron a head coaching genius for putting up a better record with so much less.

did I say we had "so much less"? Plus I wouldnt call Dick Jauron a genius for 7-9 seasons. Once again, if someone disagrees with your post you simply deny any validity or skew the words. I think we're marginally better as far as a base of talent goes, I simply dont think we're worse, which is the premise of this thread right? Quit being a whiny ***** when someone disagrees with your post.

and for the recor

jmb1099
03-21-2013, 07:03 AM
I guess it depends on how you measure this. For me, not making the playoffs is the measuring rod and so in that sense we're no better or worse. What I think I see happening this year is somewhat of a complete wash, meaning that I think it's been decided to flush the season. Axe unproductive players (Donald jones, Barnett, etc) and not sign over priced or nearly over the hill talent. Now this in no way is meant to say that I'm supportive of what Nix has done here. In fact, your percentages speak for themselves. But I remember the years we brought in lots of over priced talent and still missed the playoffs.
Also, there are unique problems with this current team and how it lines up with free agency. As an example one could argue that we should have signed some receivers by now. Yet we really don't have anyone to throw them the ball. Upgrade at corner? With who? We need linebackers (we actually signed one) but here again who? The best part of this team, in theory anyway, couldn't stop the run last year so we don't even know what the identity of the defensive line really is. In short, this team is awful and has been awful for a very long time. Buddy isn't the answer, but the losing culture at one bills drive existed long before Buddy nix. Brace yourself, we're not making the playoffs any time soon.

coastal
03-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Because he sucks and wear sweater vests.

sandusky mason Dixon style.

mjt328
03-21-2013, 07:43 AM
I voted "NO CLUE" and without the slightest hesitation.
Since the day Buddy walked in the door of One Bills Drive, he's been throwing crap at the wall and just hoping something sticks.

His first choice of head coach was a complete disaster. His evaluation of talent has been dreadful - especially in the draft. And for a team with so many holes, his managing of the salary cap has also been poor. One year he claims that the plan is "build through the draft" and we do absolutely nothing to bring in veteran talent. Then out of the blue he throws $100 million dollars at one player in free agency. The next year, we are back to doing nothing.

Our team has gone from the 4-3 defense, to a 3-4, to a hybrid, back to a 4-3, and back to a 3-4... all in the span of 4 years.
And at the quarterback position, his contributions to the team have included Levi Brown, Tyler Thigpen, Brad Smith, Tarvaris Jackson, Vince Young, Aaron Corp and a big contract to Fitz. He bypassed Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick so that he could draft Aaron Williams - who fell in the draft because most NFL GMs saw him as a safety and not a cornerback. Two terrible years later, it seems that Williams (surprise) was better suited for...safety. Nix traded up and bypassed Russell Wilson for TJ Graham - who most NFL GMs saw as a one-dimensional 5th or 6th round talent with poor route running ability. One year later, Graham (surprise) appears to be a one-dimensional talent with poor route running ability.

trapezeus
03-21-2013, 08:12 AM
without knowledge of inner workings, its hard to say he's simiply incapable. incapable guys don't make it for as long as he has in scouting. it's an easy job to fire and a thankless one that people burn out.

i think russ and ralph meddle. i think constraints on front office pay has kept a lot of players underutilized. but with that said, his 3 drafts have rounds 2-7 being epic failures. we wanted a first round pick to hit so badly during the jauron years, we forgave buddy for getting CJ, Dareus and Gilmore. but everything else is a turd.

if it came out that he's just a fool, i wouldn't be surprised, but the bills with the current structural set up are failures. and anyone who walks into a russ lead team is being set up for failure.

ThunderGun
03-21-2013, 08:39 AM
I don't know....I agreed with how he started. It seemed like his strategy was "Don't panic, cut the dead weight, address the OLine, build a solid core of young players so that when we draft a QB, he will be in a position to thrive". But I think he'll panic this year, and reach on a scrub QB in the 1st round.