PDA

View Full Version : here we go again with icing rule

DetDannyWilliams
03-20-2013, 07:20 PM
In a hybrid-icing world, the determination of icing would be made before a player touched the puck. Instead, a race to a fixed point before the goal line would be used, and if the icing team won the race, icing would be negated.
The owners believe such a change would reduce the occurrence of dangerous collisions into the end boards during contested races for the puck.
"The majority of our managers would like to see us use hybrid icing next year," Campbell said. "The Players' Association told us they felt their players didn't like hybrid icing and were for no-touch icing. Our next meeting is the Competition Committee meeting in June, and they are going to address that with their players because our managers right now are in favor of using hybrid next year."
Among the topics addressed during the breakout portion of the meeting in the morning was a discussion on boarding that was more passionate and involved than any of the others.
The managers discussed further study of boarding infractions with the goal of keeping the dangerous hits along the boards out of the game while still allowing board battles and other forms of hitting. The growing trend of players presenting their back before a hit along the boards has exacerbated the issue.
"Our concern at this point is a lot of players have been raised with the ability to expose their back to protect the puck, and even the slightest shove can put a player into the boards and can often lead to a penalty, and these penalties lead to embellishment," senior vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474729) said. "The whole boarding issue was discussed and bantered around and really got nowhere other than that we want to continue to look at it and we want to make sure there is an onus on safety and that we don't want to take hitting out of the game. We'll continue to watch and move forward."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=661217&navid=nhl:topheads

just use the Olympic rules

Cali512
03-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Fightings still legal, im more worried bout the NFL. The icing is whatever, maybe itll make players think more about it.

SpillerThrills
03-20-2013, 08:47 PM
I know in the NCAA's they use the face off dots as the "finish" line that players race to trying to beat out the icing call. works really well, no collisions at the end boards causing injuries from time to time.

OpIv37
03-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Fightings still legal, im more worried bout the NFL. The icing is whatever, maybe itll make players think more about it.

It just seems like an odd place to draw the line. "Sure, you guys can hit each other with sticks (within reason) and throw body checks at full speed and shoot a frozen piece of hard ass rubber at each other at 100 mph and punch each other in the face, all while wearing razor sharp skates. But don't race each other to the boards, that's too dangerous."

Mski
03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
i dont really get it... there are far less injuries from icing than there are from boarding

DetDannyWilliams
04-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Text from Kurtis Foster D Philadelphia to Michael Russo

"Now that a star like Pitkanen hurt on icing. When is it enough?? no need for it anymore!!!!!!" #nhlpa

DetDannyWilliams
04-02-2013, 11:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUjqoJ1UGwM

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 11:11 PM
**** him and **** the Hurricanes. It's a contact sport.

gebobs
04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
i dont really get it... there are far less injuries from icing than there are from boarding
No penalties for boarding anymore? News to me.

gebobs
04-03-2013, 11:04 AM
**** him and **** the Hurricanes. It's a contact sport.
The thing is that it's so unnecessary. Does the race for an iced puck add anything to the game? Is anyone going to look back wistfully to the good old days when 90% of the time some fat ass defenseman waddles back to touch the puck?

Skooby
04-03-2013, 11:09 AM
I thought the intent of the defense having to touch the puck on a possible icing was less stoppage of play & faceoffs ??

Mski
04-03-2013, 03:37 PM
No penalties for boarding anymore? News to me.
the point is the league isnt too inconsistent with the calls and player dicipline that they need to fix that first before they try to fix something that isnt nearly as broken, most if not all of the players in the league currently* have played their entire life with the current icing rules, now we're close to the tipping point where that wont be the case

gebobs
04-03-2013, 05:02 PM
the point is the league isnt too inconsistent with the calls and player dicipline that they need to fix that first before they try to fix something that isnt nearly as broken
Why is that?

most if not all of the players in the league currently* have played their entire life with the current icing rules
Huh? Every one of them probably played with the no touch rule until they played in the NHL/AHL. Every amateur league, every professional league outside North America and a some within, and all international play use some variation of no touch.

G Wolly
04-04-2013, 02:29 AM
I feel like there's such few injuries due to the "icing race", if that's what you wanna call it.

In hindsight, yeah, some guys got messed up bad but out of how many icings has this happened?

On a somewhat similar note, after the Zednik incident, I remember Tallinder wearing a neck guard for a while.

"Oh it was a freak accident that happened but better safe than sorry"

If that's the league-wide perception, just wrap up the league as a whole. No contact, no fighting, no icing race.

gebobs
04-04-2013, 07:37 AM
I feel like there's such few injuries due to the "icing race", if that's what you wanna call it.

In hindsight, yeah, some guys got messed up bad but out of how many icings has this happened?

On a somewhat similar note, after the Zednik incident, I remember Tallinder wearing a neck guard for a while.

"Oh it was a freak accident that happened but better safe than sorry"

If that's the league-wide perception, just wrap up the league as a whole. No contact, no fighting, no icing race.
Really? Is the icing race that important to you. If so, ok. Let's keep it. For me, it adds nothing to the game.

SpillerThrills
04-04-2013, 01:25 PM
NCAA switched to a no touch hybrid a couple years ago. there is still a race but it's to the faceoff dot. if the team defending that end is the first to the dot then it's icing, if the offensive team is first to the dot then no icing. You still have a race, but it's not to the wall where collisions can happen. Works good in the college ranks.

Mski
04-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Icing is far from the biggest cause of injury to players.. and until the league can control the other factors properly, they should leave this one alone

fwiw i couldnt really care less about the icing rule, but why fix something thats not broken

gebobs
04-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Icing is far from the biggest cause of injury to players.. and until the league can control the other factors properly, they should leave this one alone

fwiw i couldnt really care less about the icing rule, but why fix something thats not broken
It's an easy fix. The fix does nothing to detract from the game. It will bring us in line with the rest of the hockey world. And perhaps a few dozen player-games a year are saved on average and maybe to the length of a few careers.

I really don't understand this. Is there some problem with addressing more than one thing at a time? I just don't see what's defensible here. You seem to be saying, well they have other priorities so until they address all of those, don't bother. That's like saying the US government should abolish the EPA because the ayatollah is making nukes.

Mski
04-05-2013, 02:48 PM
It's an easy fix. The fix does nothing to detract from the game. It will bring us in line with the rest of the hockey world. And perhaps a few dozen player-games a year are saved on average and maybe to the length of a few careers.

I really don't understand this. Is there some problem with addressing more than one thing at a time? I just don't see what's defensible here. You seem to be saying, well they have other priorities so until they address all of those, don't bother. That's like saying the US government should abolish the EPA because the ayatollah is making nukes.no its more like saying stop trying to paint over the water stain on the celing, and actually fix the leak causing it... the icing rule isnt detracting from the game, things like the instigator rule and the players non regard for each others safety are

Meathead
04-05-2013, 05:27 PM
put brendan shanahan in charge of all icing calls then he can just ask the player if he intended to ice the puck

DetDannyWilliams
04-05-2013, 06:57 PM
put brendan shanahan in charge of all icing calls then he can just ask the player if he intended to ice the puck

:roflmao:

gebobs
04-08-2013, 09:15 AM
no its more like saying stop trying to paint over the water stain on the celing, and actually fix the leak causing it... the icing rule isnt detracting from the game, things like the instigator rule and the players non regard for each others safety are
It doesn't take anything away from the game....well, except for a few players here and there. It certainly doesn't add anything to the game. So if the downside is minimal on average and potentially disastrous in any given circumstance while on the other hand there is absolutely no upside, and when there's a fix that is tried and true throughout the rest of the hockey world, common sense says to go forward and implement.