PDA

View Full Version : Nix: Bills are not done in Free Agency

The King
03-21-2013, 12:33 PM
In an interview with the Toronto Sun, Nix confirmed that the club still has some work to accomplish (http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/sports/more-from-my-buddy-nix-qa/) in the free agent market in the coming weeks.“You have to plug holes in free agency, and that’ll continue for the rest of the spring,” said Nix. ”There’ll be guys available and there’ll be guys that’ll fit, and we’ll plug them in.”Knowing they have only six draft choices Nix has said more than once that holes have to be filled in free agency to take pressure off their draft.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/03/21/nix-still-work-to-do-in-free-agency/

OpIv37
03-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Of course they're not done.

even if we add 6 draft picks, we don't have enough bodies for a full training camp. They literally HAVE to add players.

tatersalad
03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
LOVE the beetle juice pope

clumping platelets
03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Hey Buddy....FA started already

:coocoo:

MidnightVoice
03-21-2013, 12:49 PM
He is probably thinking of undrafted free agents

Bert102176
03-21-2013, 01:19 PM
What I think is funny is he said they have SOME WORK still to be done, WAKE tfu Buddy this team has a lot of work to be done still, so remove ur head from sphinctor and get to work old man.

RedEyE
03-21-2013, 01:26 PM
He's waiting for other team cuts and players to get seriously desperate.

Dude
03-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Not done?

When did they start?

ServoBillieves
03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah, we'll add some 4th or 5th tier trash. Thanks Buddy.

Scumbag College
03-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Everyone forgot about the megasigning of Manny Lawson last week.

Honestly, the thing that irks me most about this is that they came out last week and said that they aren't concentrating on Free Agents-just the draft at this point. Like KC, Miami, Tennessee, etc. don't have ANY of their personnel at pro days and doing any college scouting and are/were only concentrating on free agents.

Ineptitude yet again from OBD...welcome to 2-14 in 2013.

Don't Panic
03-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Time is definitely up for this guy... what I'm left to wonder is if the rest of OBD complies with the idea that we shouldn't be signing even low end FAs right now just so we can have some competition at certain positions.

feldspar
03-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Yeah, every fan is beyond frustrated, but the Bills are currently in a spot; blaming anyone doesn't change that, either. They only have a limited amount of dollars to spend and a lot of holes to fill. We could basically try to upgrade several positions or maybe overpay for somebody to fill one spot or so.

Look at it for what it is...how it stands today. I read the Bills have about $10.6 million in cap space, or they will have that when you take into account signing the draft picks. Somebody correct that number if I'm wrong, but I believe it's around there. Like I said in the other thread, the smarter thing to do is spread that money around to upgrade a number of positions, not go whole-hog on one thing.

We need a quarterback. That's what we need.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
You guys remember Akin Ayodele, Cordaro Howard, Andra Davis, etc? That's the tier of FA we are bringing in.

feldspar
03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
You guys remember Akin Ayodele, Cordaro Howard, Andra Davis, etc? That's the tier of FA we are bringing in.

Please...Ayodele was brought in in September when Mitchell went to IR, and Howard was an undrafted free agent...they don't count. Davis was a mistake of sorts, but it's not like we waited to get him in free agency.

This free agency period wasn't going to turn out pretty no matter which way you want to slice it.

OK, assuming the Bills have $10.6 million to spend, you be the GM. Who do we get?

more cowbell
03-21-2013, 02:41 PM
this team sucks

IlluminatusUIUC
03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Please...Ayodele was brought in in September when Mitchell went to IR, and Howard was an undrafted free agent...they don't count. Davis was a mistake of sorts, but it's not like we waited to get him in free agency.

I'm not sure why you get to arbitrarily decide they "don't count." That's what we're getting - fodder fill-in players. Throw in Reggie Torbor if it makes the analogy easier.

This free agency period wasn't going to turn out pretty no matter which way you want to slice it.

OK, assuming the Bills have $10.6 million to spend, you be the GM. Who do we get?

If they wanted to actually upgrade a position, Dumervil and Dansby seem like the best bangs for their buck. If we're just looking to fill holes, then Moore and Heyward-Bey are possibilities too.

feldspar
03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure why you get to arbitrarily decide they "don't count." That's what we're getting - fodder fill-in players. Throw in Reggie Torbor if it makes the analogy easier.

Because one was an undrafted rookie free agent, and the other one was brought in because a starter went down in September. Every team brings in fodder in those situations. That's not the same situation we are talking about. At least I thought we were talking about straight-up free agency.

If you want to assume bad things before the fact, go ahead. I won't blame you after the Bills have established their trend of sucking for so long.

If they wanted to actually upgrade a position, Dumervil and Dansby seem like the best bangs for their buck. If we're just looking to fill holes, then Moore and Heyward-Bey are possibilities too.

Now you are talking, but if we pick up Dumervil, say goodbye to any other free agent signing because our money will be spent unless we cut other people and create more holes...except Brad Smith - cutting him would create no real hole in my mind. Dansby I like, but I don't know what he's asking. I wouldn't mind looking into Heyward-Bey or Moore, either.

Some of these guys will be humbled at a certain point because nobody will give them the money they are looking for too. Not that this a tactic that I condone the Bills for employing, but that's a consideration nonetheless. I don't think that the Bills activity (or lack thereof) is necessarily an indication of being cheap, though, and that's kind of the point. The Bills are on a budget and have to spend wisely, IMO.

DraftBoy
03-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Toronto Star scooping the heck out of Buffalo News recently. John Kryk is on fire.

coastal
03-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Cordaro Howard:rofl:

Skooby
03-21-2013, 05:02 PM
He is probably thinking of undrafted free agents

Well technically....

YardRat
03-21-2013, 05:20 PM
From the same article...

HOW ABOUT UPDATES ON TALKS WITH YOUR OTHER FREE AGENTS. HAVE YOU HAD RECENT TALKS WITH ANY OF THEM, OR CLOSE TO RE-SIGNING ANY OF THEM?”
“No, we’re not right now.”

KYLE MOORE, IS HE MORE OF A 4-3 STYLE DEFENSIVE END YOU MIGHT NOT BRING BACK BECAUSE OF THE SWITCH TO A HYBRID DEFENCE?
“You know, that’s not it so much, I don’t think. We — We have things we have to do, and things we have to plan to do to keep our own guys, which we will have some, that in the summer we’ll try to get done before the season, or early in the season. And we have to keep those things in mind.”

...and...

“We had two or three or four guys targeted, and he (Manny Lawson) was a priority for us. Because we didn’t have a true SAM linebacker on the team. So we targeted him, and we did target another one or two. But basically the top two or three free agents were on our team already — Jairus (Byrd, safety) and Leodis (McKelvin, cornerback/returner).”

jamze132
03-22-2013, 04:53 AM
LOL @ Buddy Nix

coastal
03-22-2013, 06:16 AM
The full on tankjob is on.

if that means Johnny Football... Smartest decision ever

bf1
03-22-2013, 07:59 AM
He's probably waiting for Merriman to call him back before making any more calls.

mjt328
03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
From the same article...

HOW ABOUT UPDATES ON TALKS WITH YOUR OTHER FREE AGENTS. HAVE YOU HAD RECENT TALKS WITH ANY OF THEM, OR CLOSE TO RE-SIGNING ANY OF THEM?”
“No, we’re not right now.”

KYLE MOORE, IS HE MORE OF A 4-3 STYLE DEFENSIVE END YOU MIGHT NOT BRING BACK BECAUSE OF THE SWITCH TO A HYBRID DEFENCE?
“You know, that’s not it so much, I don’t think. We — We have things we have to do, and things we have to plan to do to keep our own guys, which we will have some, that in the summer we’ll try to get done before the season, or early in the season. And we have to keep those things in mind.”

...and...

“We had two or three or four guys targeted, and he (Manny Lawson) was a priority for us. Because we didn’t have a true SAM linebacker on the team. So we targeted him, and we did target another one or two. But basically the top two or three free agents were on our team already — Jairus (Byrd, safety) and Leodis (McKelvin, cornerback/returner).”

Wow.
Literally hundreds of unrestricted free agents available, and we targeted 2 or 3.

There were only 2 or 3 players he could find that would upgrade a roster that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years.

DraftBoy
03-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Still some nice names out there...

DHB
Ramses Barden
Fred Davis
Kevin Boss
Sebastian Vollmer
Kevin Boothe
DJ Williams
Nmandi Asomugha
Quentin Jammer
Kerry Rhodes

The Jokeman
03-22-2013, 09:08 AM

DHB
Fred Davis
Kevin Boothe
DJ Williams
Quentin Jammer

Would be guys I would target as GM. Yet Davis' injury might be keep me hesitant. Also Jammer's getting at that age when CBs start to lose a step.

Mr. Miyagi
03-22-2013, 09:08 AM

DHB
Ramses Barden
Fred Davis
Kevin Boss
Sebastian Vollmer
Kevin Boothe
DJ Williams
Nmandi Asomugha
Quentin Jammer
Kerry Rhodes

Right, so let's wait longer until most of these guys are picked up then let the market choose for us who to sign, if any.

better days
03-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Right, so let's wait longer until most of these guys are picked up then let the market choose for us who to sign, if any.

NOBODY is in a rush to sign any FAs at this time. The Blue Light special does not start until after the draft and then a number of new items will be added to the shelves for your chance to purchase.

Buckets
03-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Why didn't the interviewer ask when he planned to start?

feldspar
03-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Then complain about how we didn't sign Byrd or Wood next year...sounds like a plan.

Personally, I think that who we are looking to target is going to depend a lot on who we are able to draft next month, which is an unknown right now. Would you rather pick up a guy in free agency and then pass on a better guy in the draft because of it? Yeah, I know that's a load of crap, but that logically plays in and the Bills have limited resources...a limited amount of dollars to spend. This is reality. We aren't trading football cards here. We'll pick up some guys that are upgrades to our current roster, and that's about all you should expect.

The big thing is that we draft a QB...that's about the only thing that really matters at this point IMO. I don't care what anyone else tells you. That's the main thing. We also got a new coaching staff that is settling in. We are going to see a whole different team next year, yet most Bills fans are so damaged that they cannot muster any any shred of optimism about what has not yet occurred. I hope that we got the right coach and will draft a good quarterback. I could care less if we pick up Quentin Jammer or somebody similar...but that's just me.

Novacane
03-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Yep. The QB is the only thing that matters. They know they're not gonna be good till they get a good QB so why bother spending big money on FA this year. I have no problem with this offseason so far.

YardRat
03-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Wow.
Literally hundreds of unrestricted free agents available, and we targeted 2 or 3.

There were only 2 or 3 players he could find that would upgrade a roster that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years.

Can't really afford to target many more, especially if they were planning on multi-million dollar contracts and not cheap one or two year deals. 20+mil seems like a lot, but it really doesn't go that far for bringing in A-tier guys if your priority is to bank some for re-signing your own that you want to keep.

DynaPaul
03-24-2013, 11:28 AM
We wouldn't have to sign all of these people if we didn't overpay the guys we had before letting them go. Let's be a little more realistic with the contracts this time Buddy.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Of course you're not done dumbass. Good lord Buddy to be done with something you have to start first and you haven't even started.

ServoBillieves
03-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Can't really afford to target many more, especially if they were planning on multi-million dollar contracts and not cheap one or two year deals. 20+mil seems like a lot, but it really doesn't go that far for bringing in A-tier guys if your priority is to bank some for re-signing your own that you want to keep.

A-tier? I would love to bring in at least a D+ at this point.

EDS
03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
I find it amusing that the Bills have done such a complete 180 in terms of their approach to the off-season from last year to this year: last year they couldn't wait to spend Ralph's money and now they are just completely passive.

JediMindPowers
03-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I find it amusing that the Bills have done such a complete 180 in terms of their approach to the off-season from last year to this year: last year they couldn't wait to spend Ralph's money and now they are just completely passive.

Yea, I'm sure OBD has the whole league fooled with their incredible ninja plan to tank the season and usurp next years possible number one pick.

Get real, the simplest answer should suffice here.

They have no idea what they're doing.

Here is a freebie...Carson Palmer will be a Buffalo Bill before June.

EDS
03-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Yea, I'm sure OBD has the whole league fooled with their incredible ninja plan to tank the season and usurp next years possible number one pick.

Get real, the simplest answer should suffice here.

They have no idea what they're doing.

Here is a freebie...Carson Palmer will be a Buffalo Bill before June.

Sadly, I am not sure they can even figure out how to be bad enough to get the #1 pick. Look at what the Jets have done to ensure they get their QB of the future in next years draft:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/21786/re-setting-the-depth-chart?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sanchez just gives them such a leg down on the Bills.

better days
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Sadly, I am not sure they can even figure out how to be bad enough to get the #1 pick. Look at what the Jets have done to ensure they get their QB of the future in next years draft:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/21786/re-setting-the-depth-chart?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sanchez just gives them such a leg down on the Bills.

I don't know how few games the Jets will win this year, but there is no doubt in my mind they finish last in the AFC East.

trapezeus
03-25-2013, 03:43 PM
the bills are not done in free agency. They were done when the promoted russ. Seasons 2013-2016 will have an over under of 10 wins over those 3 years.

BillsFever21
03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
The part that concerns me is that a team with so little talent, only one major player making big money who was overpaid as it is and that needs dozens of bodies just to fill out a roster is strapped for cap room in the first place.

If all of that doesn't show you just how utterly incompetent and useless this front office is then nothing will. It's not like we're a team that is at the end of our window and can no longer afford to keep all the good players we have. We're a team that hasn't gotten off the ground in the first place.

A complete incompetence at drafting and foresight into the future along with doing a horrible job at determining the value of our own players and the few free agents we have brought in over the past several years all falls squarely on the shoulders of Ralph Wilson, Buddy Nix, Russ Brandon and the rest of the front office.

A team that has as little bodies as we do let alone starting caliber players shouldn't be in this position cap wise. You can't just blame it on the cap staying flat because there are many other better teams with around the same cap room or more then we do. Then the bad teams over the past several years or so have almost twice as much cap room as we did entering the offseason.

Ralph Wilson continues to try and cheap out on his front office and coaching hires and it ends up costing us more in the long run with horrible draft picks, bad contracts given out and wins on the field. Every once in a while he will dish out some big money in FA and they always overpay or spend it on the wrong players. This team just has horrible people running the show from the top down and that's why we're in the shape we currently are.

This team is obsessed with keeping average/below average at best players around for 1-2 contract extensions for millions a year instead of using the draft to replace them. All of them contracts for dime a dozen players we have kept around over the years like Josh Reed, Ryan Denney, Chris Kelsay and now McKelvin along with many others takes up valuable space that could be used to sign or keep good players in their prime. Many of them guys are no longer on this cap but it's the proven unsuccessful strategy they have used for years now.

Their strategy has been to sign a bunch of dime a dozen players for 3-6 million a year instead of having a couple impact players and using the draft to replace the others. I guess when you have drafted as pathetic as they have in the first place you need to use the money on somebody. Either way it's a direct result of our pathetic ownership and front office.

BillsFever21
03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
One analogy that I can think of which fits the Bills is when it comes to buying something like a car. Instead of buying a new/newer reliable car for 15k-25k and making payments of $250 a month(3k a year) the Bills would rather buy a clunker for $1,500 and then put about 5k in repairs into the car over the next couple years until the car is only worth scrap value and they repeat the process again.

Had they just bought the good car in the first place they would be spending 3k a year for ownership of the car and have a car that runs and performs well for them. Instead they buy the clunker and still commit about 3k a year into the car but it's broken down a good chunk of the time and eventually is sitting on blocks in the back of your yard while you search for rides to get to work, etc, until you can start the process over again.

Either way you look at it you are spending around 3k a year on the ownership of the car but you would rather not commit 5+ years to a good running car and would rather instead play it year by year without getting yourself in large debt with a single vehicle. When it's all said and done you are paying just as much a year to own that clunker but you are not getting the same level of productivity and reliability out of it.

Then if the time comes that you do decide I'm tired of fixing clunkers all the time and you go out and buy a fairly expensive car you end up picking a car that has been beat to hell and breaks down on you all the time while you are still making the payments on it. Most likely you didn't get the car looked at properly and didn't check the Carfax report to see what kind of punishment it has been through by the previous owner.