PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Financial Support of the Buffalo Bills

coastal
03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Is it time to finally get complete support from the masses for an all-out boycott of anything that will drive revenue into OBD?

I am encouraging everyone... don't buy tickets. Don't buy jerseys. Don't buy one damn thing related to the Buffalo Bills.

Let's send a loud and very clear message to Ralph Wilson, Russ Brandon, Overdorf, Littman, et al... Sell this team now!

We honestly deserve better than this ****, and trust me... a boycott of spending money on these joker's product will affect CHANGE!

Now is the time.

black N yellow
03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Already been doing that for years.

coastal
03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
me too... aside from stupid Direct TV NFL Season Ticket this year.

It's time to get as many people as possible on this bandwagon.

When quarterly reports start tanking... maybe then they'll get the ****ing hint.

SpikedLemonade
03-21-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm on board.

Last time I spent money on Bills tickets and Bills attire was the 2011 season.

I can't give up Sunday Ticket.

Downinfloflo
03-21-2013, 08:20 PM
me too... aside from stupid Direct TV NFL Season Ticket this year.

It's time to get as many people as possible on this bandwagon.

When quarterly reports start tanking... maybe then they'll get the ****ing hint.

Shoot!!

With Firstrowsports you don't even need to do that.

mrbojanglezs
03-21-2013, 08:22 PM
ticket sales are up from last year already so you may be too late

Pinkerton Security
03-21-2013, 08:32 PM
LOL let me know how your efforts turn out coastal!

Downinfloflo
03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
People spend Billions every year on things they know will kill them.

You will NEVER....Get anyone to stop spending money on pro sports....LOL

Even a worthless franchise like Buffalo.

SpikedLemonade
03-21-2013, 08:53 PM
ticket sales are up from last year already so you may be too late

I know last year they were up over the previous year after a few years of declining sales but was unsure about this year.

Last year there was the false hope of the Mario Williams' signing.

What is the false hope this year that would lead to more ticket sales -- the new coaching staff?

Typ0
03-21-2013, 08:56 PM
I started saying this over a decade ago! I was laughed right out of the Ralph by long time fans that I have seen drop life flies over the years!!!!

EricStratton
03-21-2013, 08:57 PM
So you live in Florida so you're already not spending money of tickets, you're taking a year or two off from buying stuff which most likely amounts to only a hundred bucks max a year.

You're one thing, as someone who lives outside the area is NFL Ticket but you're unwilling to give that up.

Way to sacrifice Coastal.

Skooby
03-21-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm here for the pain & *****, so F-yeah.

coastal
03-21-2013, 09:05 PM
So you live in Florida so you're already not spending money of tickets, you're taking a year or two off from buying stuff which most likely amounts to only a hundred bucks max a year.

You're one thing, as someone who lives outside the area is NFL Ticket but you're unwilling to give that up.

Way to sacrifice Coastal.u honestly r the last person I would expect to dismiss this thread by trying to make it about me.

This about a group Mr. Stratton.

Its time to start hitting back and it takes a lot more than just one.

EricStratton
03-21-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm not making it about you but if the guy trying to rally the troops in unwilling to give up the only meaningful thing he can it takes some of the starch out of the argument.

coastal
03-21-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm not making it about you but if the guy trying to rally the troops in unwilling to give up the only meaningful thing he can it takes some of the starch out of the argument.
I would love to come up for a game this year... ain't going to happen.

happy?

BillsOwnAll
03-21-2013, 11:34 PM
People would have stopped buying tickets years ago if this was the case. An owner that wants/knows how to win is the only that will make change. You think if ralph makes a few less million on appereal and tickets hes gonna change??? Hes 104 years old. Cant teach an old dog new tricks. Plus ...whos jersey would you buy anyways?? Spiller maybe but noone outside of WNY knows who he is cuase he gets 7 carries a game!. If beating the coorperation was this easy there wouldnt be any.

coastal
03-22-2013, 02:00 AM
People would have stopped buying tickets years ago if this was the case. An owner that wants/knows how to win is the only that will make change. You think if ralph makes a few less million on appereal and tickets hes gonna change??? Hes 104 years old. Cant teach an old dog new tricks. Plus ...whos jersey would you buy anyways?? Spiller maybe but noone outside of WNY knows who he is cuase he gets 7 carries a game!. If beating the coorperation was this easy there wouldnt be any.
If 40,000 less show up at $60 a pop... that's just the ticket take mind you, that's $2.4 million each game. Over 7 games (excluding Toronto) that comes out to be $16.8 million in revenue.

lets make it a cool $25 million by tacking on parking and concession stands.

$25 million?

yeah... They're going to ****ing notice.

Raptor
03-22-2013, 03:53 AM

Way to sacrifice Coastal.

Agreed, joke of a thread and idea

coastal
03-22-2013, 05:56 AM
joke of a thread and ideawhy is it a joke?

If you had the opportunity to hit Ralph Wilson with a $25 million fine for decades of BS, would you take it?

Your answer has already been logged.

thank you.

chernobylwraiths
03-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Withdraw financial support for the team. Stop buying tickets. Attendance dips to all time lows.

Great idea. It will make it much easier to move the team when it is sold since there will be no support.

coastal
03-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Withdraw financial support for the team. Stop buying tickets. Attendance dips to all time lows.

Great idea. It will make it much easier to move the team when it is sold since there will be no support.
So by your logic, we should keep buying into said ****ty project so we can keep it year after year after year?

:rofl:

DraftBoy
03-22-2013, 06:37 AM
Never work and when this thread shows up annually its a reminder that many people truly don't understand what the current culture is with pro sports in general. It's rarely if ever just about the team.

Also Coastal in another thread you just praised the Bills FO for tanking next season and going after Manziel, calling it a genius move. Now you want to fine RW $25 Million?

sukie
03-22-2013, 06:57 AM
I cannot take a WNY proposed boycott of the Bills when thee is still support for the worse pro team in the area.

coastal
03-22-2013, 07:01 AM
I cannot take a WNY proposed boycott of the Bills when thee is still support for the worse pro team in the area.
Translate please...

coastal
03-22-2013, 07:12 AM
Never work and when this thread shows up annually its a reminder that many people truly don't understand what the current culture is with pro sports in general. It's rarely if ever just about the team. whats the culture of pro sports in Buffalo?

Getting molarred in a parking lot?

DraftBoy
03-22-2013, 07:20 AM
whats the culture of pro sports in Buffalo?

Not about Buffalo. That's what you don't understand.

Skooby
03-22-2013, 07:25 AM
whats the culture of pro sports in Buffalo?

Watching your GF / Wife get drunk & felt up by your friends / Neighbors in the lot, that happens to someone you know at least once.

sukie
03-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Translate please...

Sabres.

Joe Fo Sho
03-22-2013, 07:35 AM
If 40,000 less show up at $60 a pop... that's just the ticket take mind you, that's $2.4 million each game. Over 7 games (excluding Toronto) that comes out to be $16.8 million in revenue.

$25 million?

If the Bills are losing out on 25 mil per season, they would just sell the team and move after this new lease is up. That reason alone is going to make this a hard idea for people to back. Plus 40,000 less people is a HUGE number to hope for. Even when we have no hopes of the playoffs we have less empty seats than that.

While I don't entirely disagree with the premise of this thread, you're going to have to do a HELL of a lot more to get this going than just start a thread on this site about it. It's probably gonna be even more difficult since you don't live in Buffalo or the surrounding area.

justasportsfan
03-22-2013, 07:52 AM
So by your logic, we should keep buying into said ****ty project so we can keep it year after year after year?

:rofl:

thats what being a FANATIC is all about. You should switch to being a patriots or finfan.

mjt328
03-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Just wait. Ralph and Russ know this fanbase.

They know we are frustrated now. But a month from now, they will be promoting our new rookie QB like crazy and optimism will abound.

coastal
03-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Not about Buffalo. That's what you don't understand.
So we HAVE to spend our money on a crap product because we're doomed to be lite beer swills rooting for our tribe with the rest of the other overweight, mindless automatons?

super.

trapezeus
03-22-2013, 08:14 AM

$25 million?

This is how to do it. We should pick a $amount. And we should try to raise the awareness that as fans, we are trying to cut that number of dollars getting into The Bills organization.

I would recommend, whatever they are under the salary cap by as the goal number. And then we do the math on how many people we need to give up season tickets this year, not attend a game, and what we would like to see the max number of people in the stadium.

This gives the fans a tangible way of seeing if we are taking steps there.

Honestly, the Bills need to have a half full stadium and those who show up need to be organized with signs and chants that are completely tangental to the game. And it just has to get louder until the news stations and channels can't really ignore it.

Remember how the cincy fans dropped a banner over Mike Brown's owner's box? That caught a bit of attention at the time.

We have the team for 7 years with the new lease. Complete rebuilds and doing it with people we know can't get it done, is not fair. We had a chance to start fresh this year and build correctly, and they squandered it again.

DraftBoy
03-22-2013, 08:37 AM
So we HAVE to spend our money on a crap product because we're doomed to be lite beer swills rooting for our tribe with the rest of the other overweight, mindless automatons?

super.

No you don't have to, not about that either.

coastal
03-22-2013, 08:42 AM
No you don't have to, not about that either.
You're so smart.

i just can't keep up.

ServoBillieves
03-22-2013, 08:45 AM

super.

You drink lite beer? Oh for shame...

coastal
03-22-2013, 08:50 AM
You drink lite beer? Oh for shame...
No...

http://www.dunedinbrewery.com/

justasportsfan
03-22-2013, 08:58 AM
This is how to do it. We should pick a $amount. And we should try to raise the awareness that as fans, we are trying to cut that number of dollars getting into The Bills organization.

I would recommend, whatever they are under the salary cap by as the goal number. And then we do the math on how many people we need to give up season tickets this year, not attend a game, and what we would like to see the max number of people in the stadium.

This gives the fans a tangible way of seeing if we are taking steps there.

Honestly, the Bills need to have a half full stadium and those who show up need to be organized with signs and chants that are completely tangental to the game. And it just has to get louder until the news stations and channels can't really ignore it.

Remember how the cincy fans dropped a banner over Mike Brown's owner's box? That caught a bit of attention at the time.

We have the team for 7 years with the new lease. Complete rebuilds and doing it with people we know can't get it done, is not fair. We had a chance to start fresh this year and build correctly, and they squandered it again.

we'll be waiting for your banner to fall off the Russ Brandon box. :up:

Thief
03-22-2013, 09:00 AM
I also have been doing this for years. It doesn't matter if it works. It gives me peace of mind I didn't have when I was buying tickets, rocking my Bills jacket and waving my Bills flag.

So yes, it works. If you people are blind, or bored, enough to pay for this crap then you deserve what you get.

Bill Cody
03-22-2013, 09:11 AM
This idea has been proposed by many people over many years. It's alway been a silly idea on several levels. One- there is no way to coordinate such a ban in any meaningful way. Talking to a handful of diehards on a message board is like campaigning for the Presidency door to door. Two- if it did work what exactly would the upside be? Is Ralph Wilson going to wake up one morning and say "gee maybe I'm NOT the center of the universe after all"? I doubt it. He would have figured that out a long time ago without a ban if he wasn't completely self absorbed. Or do you think the folks working for the Bills will all of a sudden "try harder" or that Ralph will suddenly be capable of hiring the right talent? Again, this is silly stuff.

Sorry to break this to you, but the odds of a ban organized by "Coastal" to have any effect are slim to none. If it did have any effect the most likely effect would be to make the new owner of the Bills even more likely to move the team because it's not being supported. But by all means, carry on.

trapezeus
03-22-2013, 10:02 AM
we'll be waiting for your banner to fall off the Russ Brandon box. :up:

i have given up my tickets this year. i have better things to do than spend $300-500 7x a year to get to buffalo and get to the game.

I just hope that if what Russ has planned works, it takes fairly immediately and holds and if it fails, it fails spectacularly. it would be nice to just have a direction to go in instead of sideways. a hot start and a miserable second half? or a bad first half and then a couple wins at the end. it always f's us over.plus, let's see what whaley's got with high picks. I'm skeptical that he's the solution. but what the hell, if we are stuck with him, give him the best chance to succeed.

DraftBoy
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
You're so smart.

i just can't keep up.

Not about being smart or dumb, its about expanding your thought outside of just Buffalo. What do sports mean to people? Why are they so popular? This isn't simply about dollars and cents, you are attempting to make an argument that it is when its so much more. That's why these boycotts will never work, because its never been a simple financial transaction for people.

coastal
03-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Not about being smart or dumb, its about expanding your thought outside of just Buffalo. What do sports mean to people? Why are they so popular? This isn't simply about dollars and cents, you are attempting to make an argument that it is when its so much more. That's why these boycotts will never work, because its never been a simple financial transaction for people.
I don't think Im following you here... your take is that sports intrinsically mean so much to individuals that they would throw good money at a losing proposition?

really?

justasportsfan
03-22-2013, 10:35 AM
I don't think Im following you here... your take is that sports intrinsically mean so much to individuals that they would throw good money at a losing proposition?

really? yes. Take Kenny the Pinto guy.

kishoph
03-22-2013, 10:35 AM

super.

Is somebody forcing you to root for, or support the Bills ? I can't understand that if the Bills make you so miserable, why would you not go root for another team. I'm certainly not thrilled with everything that the Bills have done in the past, but I watch football and the Bills, because it's something that I like. If it got to where I *****ed about every move they make, I think I would spend my time in a different way.

THATHURMANATOR
03-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Is it time to finally get complete support from the masses for an all-out boycott of anything that will drive revenue into OBD?

I am encouraging everyone... don't buy tickets. Don't buy jerseys. Don't buy one damn thing related to the Buffalo Bills.

Let's send a loud and very clear message to Ralph Wilson, Russ Brandon, Overdorf, Littman, et al... Sell this team now!

We honestly deserve better than this ****, and trust me... a boycott of spending money on these joker's product will affect CHANGE!

Now is the time.

Super lame thread and post.... :boring:

Ingtar33
03-22-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm all for sending a financial message to this team.

THATHURMANATOR
03-22-2013, 10:44 AM

super.

You can do whatever you want to do. No one cares either way.

trapezeus
03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
we all love the bills and that there is joy simply having a little hope that they win every sunday. that is why we watch. this strawman arguement of "go follow another team" is useless. we want THIS team to succeed. But it's a little more than getting joy out of watching them. for 13 years, they have just gotten progressively worse each year. and by 2007-2008, it was pretty impressive that it got worse, because they were uninteresting to watch and had little hope of getting better.

Here we are at a fresh start and they already are behind from the same point last year. We all want the Bills to win. the only way it changes is to show them that we won't take it. frankly, that is being a fan. The Thurms who just blindly keep following and try to shame the rest of us who want to see a winner in buffalo are holding us back.

it actually takes a second for us to wonder what this team means to the area and what we want from it. and since the leaders are unwilling to give us a winner, we have to do something to finally get a winner. we have 7 years of the team in buffalo guaranteed. This year is the year to send the message. The blind homers need to stop being deginirate gamblers and stop thinking, "oh the odds have gotten so bad that it will really be satisfying when i'm right."

This team sucks on paper. it will suck when it takes the field. Do something about it.

DraftBoy
03-22-2013, 11:14 AM

really?

Yes and no, I mean that people feel like they need sports. They utilize it as an escape.

Think about it logically speaking there is no way to explain why SB tickets costs as much as they do, the demand should never push them that high at least not in a logical marketplace. So if the pure cost isn't going to deter people what other factors are at play?

That's why a financial boycott could never work, people don't care about their own money that way.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Yes and no, I mean that people feel like they need sports. They utilize it as an escape.

Think about it logically speaking there is no way to explain why SB tickets costs as much as they do, the demand should never push them that high at least not in a logical marketplace. So if the pure cost isn't going to deter people what other factors are at play?

That's why a financial boycott could never work, people don't care about their own money that way.

Yeah, especially since the Super Bowl is something the NFL happily gives away on over the air broadcasts.

bleve
03-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Maybe we could take the money you would spend on Bills stuff and spend it on a Billboard that read something like

" Hey Russ, we spend our season tix money on this sign to let you know your team sucks"

feldspar
03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Do something about it.

Yeah, maybe we should all go on a hunger strike. Tell you what, why don't you "do something about it" and call in a bomb scare at every game at the Ralph next year. Yeah, it's all time we stood up and DID something about it, dammit! It's about time we loaded up with our arsenal of guns and go on a rampage.

Or maybe we should just refuse to watch the sport we love...that'll show 'em.

These half-assed uprisings are laughable. If you really mean it, then don't watch the games or post 15,000 times on a Bills message board. Really give them the cold shoulder, and they'll certainly be very sorry. Put your money where your mouth is and do not watch the games...that's all I can say. If you do end up watching the games next year in any way, shape, or form after this type of talk, what would that make you? Full-blown boycott...go ahead.

Guess what? It won't matter. The only thing that will happen is that you'll lose out on some entertainment. No way you'll get enough solidarity to have any kind of revolt. If that revolt was successful, it would not affect positive change either. Negative things would come from it, but don't worry...it won't happen. Ralph ain't gonna sell the team because a handful of people didn't go to the 7 home games we have and we'll suddenly magically have a good football team. Maybe we can throw a protest parade, put up some billboards, and constantly picket the Bills on the streets and at the stadium...such tactics will ensure that the Bills get a franchise quarterback. It will wake everyone up and make them stop losing on purpose.

TV revenue is where it's at anyway. Ralph Wilson is going to be 95 in October...

coastal
03-22-2013, 01:32 PM
I do good work.

feldspar
03-22-2013, 01:39 PM
I do good work.

Yeah, well don't let me catch you talking about what happens in Bills games next year...you aren't allowed to watch them now. If the leader of the Mickey Mouse revolt breaks his own rules, that would make him a pathetic asswipe, wouldn't it?

Lead by example, my friend, and we'll catch you on the flip-side. None of this "I'll do it if you do it" crap. Just do it. Only way to start a true revolution.

coastal
03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
I get to watch so I can point out the hordes ongoing idiocy.

SpikedLemonade
03-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Ralph Wilson is going to be 95 in October...

Hasn't the Devil waited long enough?

feldspar
03-22-2013, 02:46 PM

No way, dude. You can't watch anymore until we field a good team...and after that happens you can pat yourself on the back and pretend like you had to do something with it...then you can **** off, if you haven't already.

I mean, you either believe what you say or not...I sure don't believe what you say, fearless leader.

Also, all of you boycotters can keep us updated about how you are following through with your "threat." Like I say, laughable and empty. Go ahead and stick your finger in the dyke.

cookie G
03-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Well, for the last 15 years or so, the Royals have been playing to crowds of about 60% of what they were when they were good. They were still given $250 million in stadium renovations.

It doesn't bother David Glass. He still nets about $20 million a year, pleads poverty, and watches his equity increase annually. The net worth of the team has more than tripled since he bought them.

It'll take a whole lot of boycotting to catch Russ' attention.

Bill Cody
03-22-2013, 02:58 PM

really?

It's not speculation. If you need proof research the Chicago Cubs record of futility and their fan support.

Bill Cody
03-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Fact: If you're watching for whatever reason you're part of the horde.

feldspar
03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Fact: If you're watching for whatever reason you're part of the horde.

He's worst than that because he puts down the horde and then expects to rejoin them after his mindless rant. If he keeps it up, the horde may just beat him to death.

BLeonard
03-22-2013, 03:45 PM

Or, continue to support a ****ty product, the team is still sold and the new owner moves anyway.

Or, continue to support a ****ty product, the team is sold and the new owner operates things the exact same way as Ralph Wilson has for 50 plus years. Because, hey, the team is making money, so why change anything?

Personally, I don't get why some Bills fans allow the sword of Damocles to hang over their head, as if their buying tickets, merchandise, etc will really make a difference. If the new wner wants to move, he's gonna move, regardless. Fans wasting thousands of dollars on season tickets for the next seven yeras aren't gonna mean a damn thing to him (or her, or whoever).

Do a little bit of research on the reason that teams leave... 99.9% of the time, teams leave due to wanting new facilities and not getting them. Has zero to do with fan support, or lack thereof.

Besides, if this is the sort of "football team" we're going to be subjected to from now until the end of time, personally, I'd rather not have them stay. Let them go out to LA or somewhere else and see how much fan support they get when they don't make the playoffs for thirteen consecutive seasons.

-Bill

BLeonard
03-22-2013, 06:31 PM
It's not speculation. If you need proof research the Chicago Cubs record of futility and their fan support.

Well, as a Cubs and Bills fan, I can tell you the difference between the Cubs and Bills.

While the Cubs have indeed pretty much sucked for the past century, one thing I can't ever say about them is that they aren't trying. Here's some notes to compare:

When the Cubs needed a new GM, they went out and got Theo Epstein and his buddies, arguably among the best minds in Major League Baseball.

When the Bills needed a new GM, they went out and first got a former 80+ year Head Coach, who had zero experience as a GM. Then, after that they went and got a 70 year old scout, who had zero experience as GM. During the majority of this time, the man in charge of hiring these unqualified people for the GM position, is a marketing guy who got his start in a completely different sport.

The Ricketts family, who owns the Cubs, has stated that they are willing to foot the entire bill for upgrades and renovations to Wrigley Field, provided the city offers some concessions as to what they can do to the ballpark and more flexibility in their sheculing (particularly, night games). With Wrigley being a National Landmark, they need permission to alter or change a lot that has to do with the park.

Ralph Wilson, owner of the Buffalo Bills, is relying on the taxpayers of Erie County and New York State, to fund the majority of his stadium's renovation project, even though Wilson will receive all of the profits gained from said renovation.

On weekends when the Cubs are out of town, they offer tours of Wrigley Field. A portion of the proceeds form ticket sales go to charity.

The Bills, who only use their taxpayer-funded stadium a maximum of 10 times a year, opted to sell a game per season to another city in another county. The proceeds go entirely to Ralph Wilson.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd be willing to bet that these are the reasons that a lot of fans are pretty upset at the Buffalo Bills these days. It's not the losing that's the issue. It's the constant and continuous lack of effort to improve their situation that has many fans, like myself, very frustrated.

I imagine many fans look at it this way when it comes to the Buffalo Bills these days: "If they don't give a ****, why should I?"

-Bill

kishoph
03-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Besides, if this is the sort of "football team" we're going to be subjected to from now until the end of time, personally, I'd rather not have them stay. Let them go out to LA or somewhere else and see how much fan support they get when they don't make the playoffs for thirteen consecutive seasons.

-Bill

Easy to say from someone that lives in Indiana.

feldspar
03-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Do a little bit of research on the reason that teams leave... 99.9% of the time, teams leave due to wanting new facilities and not getting them. Has zero to do with fan support, or lack thereof.l

LOL, and a full-out ban and boycott from the entire fanbase wouldn't change the new owner's viewpoint on the matter? Listen to yourself, B.

Some people view the sport as entertainment, and they don't necessarily appreciate the endless *****ing, crying, and moaning from certain fans that actually hate the whole ball of wax. If you are not enjoying the process, then do not partake...it's really that simple. Trying to compel others to do what you are not willing to do yourself is pathetic, and it's the basis of this whole thread. Misery loves company, I guess. Is there something compelling you to do have such a bad time sticking with this team, or were you miserable in the first place?

yeah, I know, it's people like me that allows the whole unacceptable thing from taking place...keep telling yourself that to fuel your chagrin. I manage to enjoy myself on football Sundays because I'm able to put it into a certain perspective, so I guess that's a problem, right? Well, that's YOUR problem. STOP following the team already if you don't like it, and I'm sure they're bound to draft a franchise quarterback as a result...that's usually how these things happen, right? I'll do what I want. I'll watch the Bills every single week they play because I like to contribute to losing endeavors...take THAT.

mead107
03-22-2013, 07:25 PM
I love the Bills. Still getting season tickets. And I like going to Buffalo. Spend a lot of money in buffalo so if I boycotted the bills I would hurt a lot of other people.

feldspar
03-22-2013, 07:29 PM
I love the Bills. Still getting season tickets. And I like going to Buffalo. Spend a lot of money in buffalo so if I boycotted the bills I would hurt a lot of other people.

Hurting people is kind of what these idiots want, though...they seek justice. Ha, ha. What they don't understand is that there is a way to enjoy themselves on Sundays and the only people they are hurting is themselves. They should get a life, I suppose.

Personally, I'm intrigued about how Marrone is going to work out and who the QB is going to be. That's interesting.

mead107
03-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Most of the people that have posted don't go to games or buy Bills items. If you do not like the Bills why are you still hanging out on a Bills message board?

strikes me kind of funny

don't jump back on the wagon when they start winning.

feldspar
03-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Most of the people that have posted don't go to games or buy Bills items. If you do not like the Bills why are you still hanging out on a Bills message board?

strikes me kind of funny

don't jump back on the wagon when they start winning.

Truer words have never been spoken.

BLeonard
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Easy to say from someone that lives in Indiana.

I can honestly say I'd be saying the exact same thing regardless of where I live.

If you're gonna have a pro sports team, do it right. Otherwise what's the point?

Even living in Indiana, I could buy season tix and go to the games, if I wanted to. But, at this stage of the game, why waste the money to see them piss down their leg for the fourteenth year in a row?

As I said in my second post, my personal issue is, they aren't even trying to improve. They do what's cheap to do and basically adhere to the minimum amount of effort, especially in the front office. It's not like it's been a year or two, either. This has gone on for well over a decade now.

-Bill

SpikedLemonade
03-22-2013, 08:07 PM
"But....but...but....Coastal, if we did this boycott, we might shock Ralph so much that he would die..."

BLeonard
03-22-2013, 08:10 PM
LOL, and a full-out ban and boycott from the entire fanbase wouldn't change the new owner's viewpoint on the matter? Listen to yourself, B.

Some people view the sport as entertainment, and they don't necessarily appreciate the endless *****ing, crying, and moaning from certain fans that actually hate the whole ball of wax. If you are not enjoying the process, then do not partake...it's really that simple. Trying to compel others to do what you are not willing to do yourself is pathetic, and it's the basis of this whole thread. Misery loves company, I guess. Is there something compelling you to do have such a bad time sticking with this team, or were you miserable in the first place?

yeah, I know, it's people like me that allows the whole unacceptable thing from taking place...keep telling yourself that to fuel your chagrin. I manage to enjoy myself on football Sundays because I'm able to put it into a certain perspective, so I guess that's a problem, right? Well, that's YOUR problem. STOP following the team already if you don't like it, and I'm sure they're bound to draft a franchise quarterback as a result...that's usually how these things happen, right? I'll do what I want. I'll watch the Bills every single week they play because I like to contribute to losing endeavors...take THAT.

Any owner worth a damn would see a fan boycott as a challenge to improve the product.

I agree that sports are entertainment. Problem is, how much have Bills fans really been "entertained" over the past 13 seasons?

I can deal with losing. Christ, I'm a Cubs fan. It's the lack of effort that bothers me. If you can't see that, after 13 seasons, this team is basically in cruise control mode, I dunno what to tell you.

As for the bolded, "I'm sure they're bound to draft a franchise quarterback," let me ask you... How many years have you been saying that to yourself?

If you wanna "contribute to losing endeavors," as you put it, feel free. Just don't think tat anything you do has any bearing whatsoever on what happens to the team after Wilson passes. You, or anyone else buying tickets won't change the ultimate outcome one bit.

-Bill

mead107
03-22-2013, 08:12 PM
That's why we spent big dollars last year.
So your pissed this year because they didn't spend 100 mill on what some other team is willing to let walk away. It's a game. Don't like don't spend your money. Go pick another team. Go jump on some other band wagon.

BLeonard
03-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Personally, I'm intrigued about how Marrone is going to work out and who the QB is going to be. That's interesting.

Well, here's my prediction. You can bookmark it if you want.

Marrone will "work out" about as well as Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey did. The problem isn't the coaching, it's the front office. You can't keep preaching "build through the draft" and "stay the course" when you're losing key players every season because you refuse to pay them and you don't replace them with equal or better talent on top of not drafting very well.

The QB, my guess is that Tavaris Jackson will be the Opening Day starter. I said it last season that that was the reason they didn't play him so that they could try and pass him off as the starter this year without having to draft a QB (that starts anyway) or getting one via Free Agency.

Like I said feel free to bookmark this thread and throw it right in my facde if I'm wrong... I'll gladly eat crow if the Bills are a playoff team in the 2013-14 season.

-Bill

BLeonard
03-22-2013, 08:41 PM
That's why we spent big dollars last year.
So your pissed this year because they didn't spend 100 mill on what some other team is willing to let walk away. It's a game. Don't like don't spend your money. Go pick another team. Go jump on some other band wagon.

Me personally? No, I'm not "pissed this year because they didn't spend 100 mill on what some other team is willing to let walk away."

I'm pissed that they have done basically ZERO to:

A: Retain the talent that they do have or at the very least, get someone that is just as good or better than who they are letting walk (directed primarily at the offensive line situation).
B: Attempt to fill the holes that the Bills have had for AT LEAST 4 years if not longer (That would be linebacker and Quarterback).

On top of that, when asked about their inactivity, it's basically brushed off with "we're busy scouting for the draft right now," when 31 other teams in the National Football League can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time (meaning they can scout for the draft and sign free agents).

As for "spending big dollars," they kinda have to now, as there is a salary floor. They HAVE to spend up to a certain amout of the cap.

The spending problem, IMO, isn't on the field anyway. It's in the Front Office. There is no cap or floor there, so teams can spend as much, or (in the Bills' case) as little as they want. That's why the Bills have a baseball marketing guy as their Team President and a 70 year old first time GM making the football decisions, as opposed to, you know, qualified football people.

Ask yourself this: Why is it, in the past 13 years, while the Bills have gotten worse and worse on the football field, the top guy in the Front Office keeps getting promoted?

-Bill

jimmifli
03-22-2013, 08:53 PM
I do good work.

http://i.imgur.com/zUNpb7N.gif

feldspar
03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Any owner worth a damn would see a fan boycott as a challenge to improve the product.

I agree that sports are entertainment. Problem is, how much have Bills fans really been "entertained" over the past 13 seasons?

I can deal with losing. Christ, I'm a Cubs fan. It's the lack of effort that bothers me. If you can't see that, after 13 seasons, this team is basically in cruise control mode, I dunno what to tell you.

As for the bolded, "I'm sure they're bound to draft a franchise quarterback," let me ask you... How many years have you been saying that to yourself?

If you wanna "contribute to losing endeavors," as you put it, feel free. Just don't think tat anything you do has any bearing whatsoever on what happens to the team after Wilson passes. You, or anyone else buying tickets won't change the ultimate outcome one bit.

-Bill

Good luck, Bill...you'll need it.

BLeonard
03-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Good luck, Bill...you'll need it.

Funny, considering that's the same thing Ralph Wilson says about the Bills turing into a successful NFL Franchise. "We need to get lucky."

Also funny, considering the fact that you thought bringing Marv Levy in as a GM "seemed good on paper."

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/202764-Ralph-Wilson-to-other-owners-NFL-quot-I-told-you-so!-quot?p=3465515&viewfull=1#post3465515

Also, you act as though the Bills never had a good team, which isn't the case. Seems I remember being pretty good from the late eighties trough the nineties. You gotta get lucky sometimes in this business too. Tom Donahoe was not lowly regarded coming in, for example. That didn't work out. Some of the moves we made at the top in the past decade seemed good on paper, including bringing in Marv Levy for that brief time...he was behind hiring Jauron, and that didn't work out either.

Having Joe Ferguson be the QB for 12 years did not help. The Bills main problem over the past decade or so has been that they haven't drafted well. I see the Bills heading in the right direction right now, so I'd rather focus on THAT instead of living in the past.

Regarding the first bolded: You know WHY Bill Polian got the GM job? Because Terry Beldsoe had a heart attack and Polian was already on the payroll. So, in that case, the definition of "luck" is a guy having a heart attack.

Regarding the second bolded: You wrote this post on May 18, 2011... How's that "I see the Bills heading in the right direction right now" working for you? Or, should we just wait another decade or so?

You're the one wishing me luck? I think you need it more than I do...

-Bill

justasportsfan
03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Well, as a Cubs and Bills fan, I can tell you the difference between the Cubs and Bills.

While the Cubs have indeed pretty much sucked for the past century, one thing I can't ever say about them is that they aren't trying. Here's some notes to compare:

When the Cubs needed a new GM, they went out and got Theo Epstein and his buddies, arguably among the best minds in Major League Baseball.

When the Bills needed a new GM, they went out and first got a former 80+ year Head Coach, who had zero experience as a GM. Then, after that they went and got a 70 year old scout, who had zero experience as GM. During the majority of this time, the man in charge of hiring these unqualified people for the GM position, is a marketing guy who got his start in a completely different sport.

The Ricketts family, who owns the Cubs, has stated that they are willing to foot the entire bill for upgrades and renovations to Wrigley Field, provided the city offers some concessions as to what they can do to the ballpark and more flexibility in their sheculing (particularly, night games). With Wrigley being a National Landmark, they need permission to alter or change a lot that has to do with the park.

Ralph Wilson, owner of the Buffalo Bills, is relying on the taxpayers of Erie County and New York State, to fund the majority of his stadium's renovation project, even though Wilson will receive all of the profits gained from said renovation.

On weekends when the Cubs are out of town, they offer tours of Wrigley Field. A portion of the proceeds form ticket sales go to charity.

The Bills, who only use their taxpayer-funded stadium a maximum of 10 times a year, opted to sell a game per season to another city in another county. The proceeds go entirely to Ralph Wilson.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd be willing to bet that these are the reasons that a lot of fans are pretty upset at the Buffalo Bills these days. It's not the losing that's the issue. It's the constant and continuous lack of effort to improve their situation that has many fans, like myself, very frustrated.

I imagine many fans look at it this way when it comes to the Buffalo Bills these days: "If they don't give a ****, why should I?"

-Bill

why did you go only as far as Marv? Besides, I believe fans were excited about Marv being the GM. He fails then all of a sudden the bills aren't trying? Donahoe and Buttler were respected GM's.

If Ralph wasn't trying , he would have sold the team for more money and less headaches.

Just because Ralph is too old to make the right decisions, doesn't mean he's not trying.

BLeonard
03-23-2013, 10:25 AM
why did you go only as far as Marv? Besides, I believe fans were excited about Marv being the GM. He fails then all of a sudden the bills aren't trying? Donahoe and Buttler were respected GM's.

How far do you want me to go back? Until Bill Polian became the GM, the Bills were, for the most part, a laughing stock. Again, Polian only got the job because the previous GM, Terry Bledsoe, had a heart attack and Polian was already on the payroll. Wilson catches lighnting in a bottle with Polian and the second Polian and Ralph's money man, Jeff Littman, get into an argument, who does Ralph side with...? The money guy... The side that's more important to him.

Yeah, Donahoe and Butler were respected GM's... So, why did Wilson get rid of Butler? The same reason Wilson got rid of Polian... Money. Why is it, every time there is an argument in the Front Office, Jeff Littman (the beancounter) is the one that ends up being kept? Why is it never the guy that actually knows something about football?

If Ralph wasn't trying , he would have sold the team for more money and less headaches.

What headaches? The guy doesn't even live in or travel to Buffalo. I wish I could sit in a bed in Detroit, be spoonfed jello and tapioca pudding and be considered some sort of hero to some people in a completely different state. On top of that, I don't recall really blaming Wilson at this point. The main problem is the people Wilson hires... Or, in Russ Brandon's case, the people Wilson continues to promote when the on-field product gets worse with each passing year. I'd be willing to bet that, the instant the Bills get a new owner, Russ Brandon's NFL career will be over, because he's not qualified to run an NFL franchise. But, because he continues to find new ways to convince fans to buy tickets and line Wilson's pockets further (Like the Toronto Series) he gets promoted every time the Bills go through yet another "regime change."

Just because Ralph is too old to make the right decisions, doesn't mean he's not trying.

Which is why he should have had a succession plan in place and implemented before now, with real football people making the decisions, as opposed to some marketing guru from Major League Baseball. On top of that, it's not like age has been the reason for Ralph not making the "right decisions." Older fans will tell you that Wilson has operated pretty much the same way for the entire 50 plus years that he's been the owner of a professional football team, especially when it comes to the Front Office.

Again, every time the Front Office has had a clash between the "money guy" and the "football guy," the money guy has won.

-Bill

justasportsfan
03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
How far do you want me to go back? Until Bill Polian became the GM, the Bills were, for the most part, a laughing stock. Again, Polian only got the job because the previous GM, Terry Bledsoe, had a heart attack and Polian was already on the payroll. Wilson catches lighnting in a bottle with Polian and the second Polian and Ralph's money man, Jeff Littman, get into an argument, who does Ralph side with...? The money guy... The side that's more important to him.

Yeah, Donahoe and Butler were respected GM's... So, why did Wilson get rid of Butler? The same reason Wilson got rid of Polian... Money. Why is it, every time there is an argument in the Front Office, Jeff Littman (the beancounter) is the one that ends up being kept? Why is it never the guy that actually knows something about football?

What headaches? The guy doesn't even live in or travel to Buffalo. I wish I could sit in a bed in Detroit, be spoonfed jello and tapioca pudding and be considered some sort of hero to some people in a completely different state. On top of that, I don't recall really blaming Wilson at this point. The main problem is the people Wilson hires... Or, in Russ Brandon's case, the people Wilson continues to promote when the on-field product gets worse with each passing year. I'd be willing to bet that, the instant the Bills get a new owner, Russ Brandon's NFL career will be over, because he's not qualified to run an NFL franchise. But, because he continues to find new ways to convince fans to buy tickets and line Wilson's pockets further (Like the Toronto Series) he gets promoted every time the Bills go through yet another "regime change."

Which is why he should have had a succession plan in place and implemented before now, with real football people making the decisions, as opposed to some marketing guru from Major League Baseball. On top of that, it's not like age has been the reason for Ralph not making the "right decisions." Older fans will tell you that Wilson has operated pretty much the same way for the entire 50 plus years that he's been the owner of a professional football team, especially when it comes to the Front Office.

Again, every time the Front Office has had a clash between the "money guy" and the "football guy," the money guy has won.

-Bill

okay. which is it? First you say the bills aren't trying compared to the bears and then say you're not blaming Ralph when Ralph has been "the bills" the last 13 years.

You can't just go as far as MArv just to make a point that Ralph isn't trying. He gave Donahoe all the power and that faild and left a bitter taste in his mouth.

As an owner there are headaches . He could just sell and get it over with.

Buttler wanted to leave. Ralph didn't let him go. I was a bitter break-up.

BLeonard
03-23-2013, 11:31 AM
okay. which is it? First you say the bills aren't trying compared to the bears and then say you're not blaming Ralph when Ralph has been "the bills" the last 13 years.

Where did I say aything about the Bears?

Ultimately, yes, it falls on Ralph. But, unless you're one of those fans that actually believe that Russ has just been running things since January, Wilson hasn't been in charge of anything for quite some time. The Bills just decide to let everyone know about it a couple months ago.

You can't just go as far as MArv just to make a point that Ralph isn't trying. He gave Donahoe all the power and that faild and left a bitter taste in his mouth.

So, because Ralph has a "bitter taste in his mouth," that makes it OK that he hired an 80 plus year old head coach as a first time GM, then turned to a 70 year old scout as a first time GM, all while employing and promoting a marketing guy from Major League Baseball as the guy that's really making the decisions?

As an owner there are headaches . He could just sell and get it over with.

If this is the kind of results we're gonna get year in and year out, I wish he would sell, as do many other fans. Then, at least the Bills might get some real front office personnel... People qualified to run an NFL franchise.

Buttler wanted to leave. Ralph didn't let him go. I was a bitter break-up.

Gee, I wonder why Butler wanted to leave... Kinda like how the mantra regarding players now is "nobody wants to come to Buffalo."

So, qualified GM's end up leaving and no good players want to come to play for the Bills... You don't see a problem with this?

-Bill

feldspar
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Me personally? No, I'm not "pissed this year because they didn't spend 100 mill on what some other team is willing to let walk away."

I'm pissed that they have done basically ZERO to:

A: Retain the talent that they do have or at the very least, get someone that is just as good or better than who they are letting walk (directed primarily at the offensive line situation).
B: Attempt to fill the holes that the Bills have had for AT LEAST 4 years if not longer (That would be linebacker and Quarterback).

On top of that, when asked about their inactivity, it's basically brushed off with "we're busy scouting for the draft right now," when 31 other teams in the National Football League can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time (meaning they can scout for the draft and sign free agents).

As for "spending big dollars," they kinda have to now, as there is a salary floor. They HAVE to spend up to a certain amout of the cap.

The spending problem, IMO, isn't on the field anyway. It's in the Front Office. There is no cap or floor there, so teams can spend as much, or (in the Bills' case) as little as they want. That's why the Bills have a baseball marketing guy as their Team President and a 70 year old first time GM making the football decisions, as opposed to, you know, qualified football people.

Ask yourself this: Why is it, in the past 13 years, while the Bills have gotten worse and worse on the football field, the top guy in the Front Office keeps getting promoted?

-Bill

The Bills haven't been as historically "cheap" as some people like to believe...not the best by a longshot, but not the worst, either. Look what they did last year in free agency. I read that the Bills have about $10.6 million to spend at this time after taking into account signing the draft picks. That's not a whole hell of a lot of money they are ALLOWED to spend, B...not really. They have to think about re-signing Byrd and Wood next year too; that takes money. They don't have a lot of wiggle-room. I can see why they might want to wait until they see who they were able to draft before putting a huge dent in that money, which isn't all that much. I wish we could sign multiple free agents to fill holes right now too, but we have only a limited amount of dollars to spend and a timeline to deal with. And no, I'm not not apologizing for anybody.

This team's main problem has been not having a quarterback...that's the main reason they've been picking around the top-ten for so long. Since Jim Kelly retired, they've spent first-rounders on Rob Johnson (a 1st and a 4th), Drew Bledsoe, and JP Losman (a 1st and a 2nd, I believe) either through the draft or trades. Obviously, none of that worked out. Since then we've been sitting on our hands with Trent Edwards, followed by Ryan Fitzpatrick, for the past five years. This was stupid, especially giving Fitz that contract...we'll have to eat $10 million in cap-space because of that too, adding insult to injury to the fans.

We NEED a quarterback and cannot win without one.

Also, if you look around the league and see who the team Presidents are, the overwhelming majority of them are not football guys. They have backgrounds in law, financing, and whatever other business endeavors, including marketing. True fact, B; look it up. The President of the Seahawks worked for Anheuser-Busch for over two decades before become CEO for a hockey team for a few years, for crying out loud...he was made President of a pro football team with that resume. This is not to say that Brandon will do a good job at his position as President, only to tell people that team Presidents are generally not "football guys," although there are a handful of them. Buddy Nix IS a football guy, as GMs are for the most part. Bring up his age all you want, but he's been a good scout. It's not an outrageous notion for the Bills to have given him a shot at GM, all hindsight aside. Hiring Gailey and sticking with Fitzy (without so much as a contingency plan) have been his major huge mistakes. You need a coach and a QB, and the Bills have had neither. You have that, and you look a hell of a lot better...makes your job a lot easier too.

BLeonard
03-23-2013, 12:58 PM
The Bills haven't been as historically "cheap" as some people like to believe...not the best by a longshot, but not the worst, either. Look what they did last year in free agency. I read that the Bills have about $10.6 million to spend at this time after taking into account signing the draft picks. That's not a whole hell of a lot of money they are ALLOWED to spend, B...not really. They have to think about re-signing Byrd and Wood next year too; that takes money. They don't have a lot of wiggle-room. I can see why they might want to wait until they see who they were able to draft before putting a huge dent in that money, which isn't all that much. I wish we could sign multiple free agents to fill holes right now too, but we have only a limited amount of dollars to spend and a timeline to deal with. And no, I'm not not apologizing for anybody.

Please point out where I said that the Bills have been "cheap" anywhere in that post. The primary place where the Bills have been cheap is in the Front Office and coaching. Those areas of a football team don't fall under the salary cap. Some teams choose to invest in those areas and get the best talent available. Other teams choose to not spend as much and end up with 80+ and 70 year old first time GM's, along with a Florida Marlins marketing guy as their CEO. The difference isn't always on the football field. A lot of times, the difference lies in the talent on the sidelines (coaching) and the Front Office. The Bills have been historically cheap in both areas.

This team's main problem has been not having a quarterback...that's the main reason they've been picking around the top-ten for so long. Since Jim Kelly retired, they've spent first-rounders on Rob Johnson (a 1st and a 4th), Drew Bledsoe, and JP Losman (a 1st and a 2nd, I believe) either through the draft or trades. Obviously, none of that worked out. Since then we've been sitting on our hands with Trent Edwards, followed by Ryan Fitzpatrick, for the past five years. This was stupid, especially giving Fitz that contract...we'll have to eat $10 million in cap-space because of that too, adding insult to injury to the fans.

We NEED a quarterback and cannot win without one.

QB was a hole when Nix got here, as were linebacker and offensive line. They actually managed to fix the O-Line, until they decided to let both Levitre and Rinehart walk, with apparently no plan to replace either of them. 4 years later, LB and QB are still glaring holes.

How many more drafts do Nix and Co. have to fail to address the holes that were here when he started before we can start thinking "Hey, maybe this Nix guy doesn't know what the **** he's doing?"

Also, if you look around the league and see who the team Presidents are, the overwhelming majority of them are not football guys. They have backgrounds in law, financing, and whatever other business endeavors, including marketing. True fact, B; look it up. The President of the Seahawks worked for Anheuser-Busch for over two decades before become CEO for a hockey team for a few years, for crying out loud...he was made President of a pro football team with that resume. This is not to say that Brandon will do a good job at his position as President, only to tell people that team Presidents are generally not "football guys," although there are a handful of them. Buddy Nix IS a football guy, as GMs are for the most part. Bring up his age all you want, but he's been a good scout. It's not an outrageous notion for the Bills to have given him a shot at GM, all hindsight aside. Hiring Gailey and sticking with Fitzy (without so much as a contingency plan) have been his major huge mistakes. You need a coach and a QB, and the Bills have had neither. You have that, and you look a hell of a lot better...makes your job a lot easier too.

So, if Buddy Nix is such a "football guy," why do the Bills still have the same holes in the same positions on the football field as they did when he got here? I'd be willing to bet that people from this message board would have made better decisions than Nix has over the past 4 years.

He might be a good scout, but he's been a ****ty GM. Classic example of Bills front office hiring: Hire a guy for a position one level higher than he should be at, because it'll be cheaper. Here's a short list demonstrating exactly that:

Buddy Nix: Good Scout, Bills hire him as GM
Chan Gailey: Good OC, Bills hire him as HC
Dick Jauron: Good DC, Bills hire him as HC
Mike Mularkey: Good OC, Bills hire him as HC
Gregg Williams: Good DC, Bills hire him as HC

Notice that out of the past 4 Head Coach hires, exactly one has gotten a Head Coaching Job elsewhere (Mularkey). He lasted one year in Jacksonville, before getting canned. Jauron and Williams are in their proper roles as Defensive Coordinators (well, Gregg was, until BountyGate) and Gailey is out of football, the same place he was when the Bills hired him three years ago.

As I said before, feel free to bookmark any of my comments and show me how wrong I was to doubt the awesomeness and greatness of Russ Brandon and Buddy Nix when they put together a team that makes the playoffs. I'll gladly eat crow. But, I haven't had any in 13 years and I highly doubt year 14 will be the year that Brandon and Nix magically get it right.

-Bill

Bert102176
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM

I have been doing that thel last 2 years

- - - Updated - - -

I have been doing that thel last 2 years

feldspar
03-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Funny, considering that's the same thing Ralph Wilson says about the Bills turing into a successful NFL Franchise. "We need to get lucky."

Also funny, considering the fact that you thought bringing Marv Levy in as a GM "seemed good on paper."

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/202764-Ralph-Wilson-to-other-owners-NFL-quot-I-told-you-so!-quot?p=3465515&viewfull=1#post3465515

LoL, now you are stalking me to find where I'm been wrong before. So what? I STILL think that bringing in Marv Levy for a spell as GM looked good on paper. Luck DOES play in too, and it plays in quite a bit, make no mistake. In that same post that you went out of your way to find, I said that Tom Donahoe was highly regarded at the time the Bills made him President and GM. That looked good on paper too.

Regarding the first bolded: You know WHY Bill Polian got the GM job? Because Terry Beldsoe had a heart attack and Polian was already on the payroll. So, in that case, the definition of "luck" is a guy having a heart attack.

I was in high school and working for the Bills when Bill Polian became GM. Where were you, in Indiana standing on your soapbox? Speaking of Bledsoes, do you know why Tom Brady started at QB? Drew Bledsoe went down in like the second game of the season, and a 6th round pick named Tom Brady stepped in, and the Patriots won the Super Bowl. That very same offseason, the Patriots handed Drew the richest contract in NFL history...no way they weren't planning on sticking with him for a LONG TIME. The Pats got good LUCK, and they got a quarterback simultaneously...go figure at their success. I guess various Bledsoes getting hurt has played into the fate of this organization quite a bit, wouldn't you? We got Drew.

Speaking of luck, what about Andrew? Peyton Manning is out for the season, the Colts shat the bed, and this puts them in the position to draft Andrew Luck. That's LUCK. Now they have their franchise QB for the next decade in all likelihood. Was that just skill on the Colts part? Without Manning and the team that Polian was responsible for building, the Colts were the worst team in the league. With LUCK, they made the playoffs the following year. You NEED a quarterback.

By the way, the Bills didn't have a winning record under Polian until Jim Kelly climbed on board. Polian didn't draft Kelly, and he also was fortunate enough to have the #1 overall pick when going to the Colts in the year when Peyton Manning was available. Yeah, he got lucky twice over. Of course he's an excellent GM, but being handed two Hall of Fame quarterbacks did plenty to help that perception. When he became the Bills GM, he didn't really have to worry about free agency, either...he was able to raid players from the defunct USFL too, like everybody else. If you look at his actual drafts with the Bills, which included like 12 rounds at the time, a lot of them weren't exactly steller. TONS of mistakes there as well as some pretty bad drafts if you look at it.

Regarding the second bolded: You wrote this post on May 18, 2011... How's that "I see the Bills heading in the right direction right now" working for you? Or, should we just wait another decade or so?

So, I felt that way at the time, as did a whole lot of others. This was before the 2011 draft and they didn't sign Kaepernick like I wanted...instead, they were to sign Fitz to that ridiculous contract, something I had no idea would happen. MOST of the Gailey/Nix **** didn't happen yet when I wrote that, just the 2010 season, where I saw a better team than in 2009, regardless of having a worse record.

Pardon me for having some measure of optimism. I'm fully aware that's not something that you can relate to.

You're the one wishing me luck? I think you need it more than I do...

Luck is a part of it, like I say. Dunno how you can ever dispute that. And if you are talking about luck pertaining to the success of the Buffalo Bills, then I can't see how you can differentiate between my luck and yours. That's not the kind of luck I was talking about...it was more along the lines with "good luck pulling your head out of your ass." Keep a closed mind and project bad things, and chances are you will be right, so congratulations.

-Bill[/QUOTE]

BLeonard
03-23-2013, 01:57 PM
LoL, now you are stalking me to find where I'm been wrong before. So what? I STILL think that bringing in Marv Levy for a spell as GM looked good on paper. Luck DOES play in too, and it plays in quite a bit, make no mistake. In that same post that you went out of your way to find, I said that Tom Donahoe was highly regarded at the time the Bills made him President and GM. That looked good on paper too.

Believe it or not, I was googling Ralph Wilson's quote about luck to link in a reply and google brought that thread up. Guess I got lucky, too.

If you still think bringing Marv Levy in for a GM position was a good idea in any way, shape or form, I have a Norweigan cousin that just won the lottery and wants to share it with you.

I give the Bills a mulligan on Donahoe... Levy and Nix, not so much. You'll notice that, since being fired by the Bills, Donahoe has been out of football as well.

I was in high school and working for the Bills when Bill Polian became GM. Where were you, in Indiana standing on your soapbox? Speaking of Bledsoes, do you know why Tom Brady started at QB? Drew Bledsoe went down in like the second game of the season, and a 6th round pick named Tom Brady stepped in, and the Patriots won the Super Bowl. That very same offseason, the Patriots handed Drew the richest contract in NFL history...no way they weren't planning on sticking with him for a LONG TIME. The Pats got good LUCK, and they got a quarterback simultaneously...go figure at their success. I guess various Bledsoes getting hurt has played into the fate of this organization quite a bit, wouldn't you? We got Drew.

Well, I was 7, so I was probably in 2nd grade. Regarding Brady, you'll notice that, even though the Pats had Bledsoe, who was still in his prime, that didn't stop them from drafting Tom Brady, now did it? Just like them having Tom Brady didn't stop them from drafting Ryan Mallett. Yet, the Bills, who have had Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB for the past 2 years, didn't even bother to look at the QB position. And, don't give me that "Nobody was there" crap. Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson are 2 QB's off the top of my head who were there for the Bills pick in the second round or later.

Yeah, luck helps, but you have to be smart, too.

Speaking of luck, what about Andrew? Peyton Manning is out for the season, the Colts shat the bed, and this puts them in the position to draft Andrew Luck. That's LUCK. Now they have their franchise QB for the next decade in all likelihood. Was that just skill on the Colts part? Without Manning and the team that Polian was responsible for building, the Colts were the worst team in the league. With LUCK, they made the playoffs the following year. You NEED a quarterback.

Then, again, why is it that, in the three years Nix has been in charge of the draft, their lone QB selection was Levi Brown in the 7th Round? If you know that teams need a QB, certainly the great scout/GM extrodinnaire Buddy Nix should.

By the way, the Bills didn't have a winning record under Polian until Jim Kelly climbed on board. Polian didn't draft Kelly, and he also was fortunate enough to have the #1 overall pick when going to the Colts in the year when Peyton Manning was available. Yeah, he got lucky twice over. Of course he's an excellent GM, but being handed two Hall of Fame quarterbacks did plenty to help that perception. When he became the Bills GM, he didn't really have to worry about free agency, either...he was able to raid players from the defunct USFL too, like everybody else. If you look at his actual drafts with the Bills, which included like 12 rounds at the time, a lot of them weren't exactly steller. TONS of mistakes there as well as some pretty bad drafts if you look at it.

Polian didn't do too bad in Carolina, either. He had the Panthers in the NFC Championship in their second year of existence. Polian orchestrated things such as the Cornelius Bennett trade, as well. Again, I won't say that luck doesn't play a part in things, but the Bills seem to think that luck trumps actual talent and skill. It doesn't. You can't rely on "luck" to be the reason that you're successful.

So, I felt that way at the time, as did a whole lot of others. This was before the 2011 draft and they didn't sign Kaepernick like I wanted...instead, they were to sign Fitz to that ridiculous contract, something I had no idea would happen. MOST of the Gailey/Nix **** didn't happen yet when I wrote that, just the 2010 season, where I saw a better team than in 2009, regardless of having a worse record.

Pardon me for having some measure of optimism. I'm fully aware that's not something that you can relate to.

Optomism left the station a while back, when the Bills Front Office decided it would be a better idea to retain Dick Jauron and sign Terrell Owens than go out and get a head coach and team that could actually win football games. Since then, the Bills moves haven't given me a whole lot to be optomistic for. They're like a ****-up machine with the "replay" button jammed. When they give real reasons to be optomistic, maybe I will be. But, I'm willing to bet that that won't be in the 2013 season.

Luck is a part of it, like I say. Dunno how you can ever dispute that. And if you are talking about luck pertaining to the success of the Buffalo Bills, then I can't see how you can differentiate between my luck and yours. That's not the kind of luck I was talking about...it was more along the lines with "good luck pulling your head out of your ass." Keep a closed mind and project bad things, and chances are you will be right, so congratulations.

As I said, I understand that luck is a part. However, again, the Bills seem to think that luck is the primary factor. It's not.

Judging by the past 13 seasons, I'm not the one that needs to "pull my head out of my ass." I'd be willing to bet that those who magically think that this will be any different than the past 13 seasons have a much larger case of having their "head up their ass," their "head in the sand," or whatever other analogy you want to use.

Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results. But, hey, if 13 years isn't enough for you.... Why not try a 14th right?

-Bill

feldspar
03-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Believe it or not, I was googling Ralph Wilson's quote about luck to link in a reply and google brought that thread up. Guess I got lucky, too.

If you still think bringing Marv Levy in for a GM position was a good idea in any way, shape or form, I have a Norweigan cousin that just won the lottery and wants to share it with you.

I give the Bills a mulligan on Donahoe... Levy and Nix, not so much. You'll notice that, since being fired by the Bills, Donahoe has been out of football as well.

Whatever you say, B. Having a Hall of Fame football guy (Levy) calling the shots...hell, why would you ever think of doing that in a pinch? Hall...of...Fame. The morons...

Also, hindsight is a nice thing, right? With Levy and even Nix. Nix is a football guy that had a nice resume at the time too. Like anything else, if it doesn't work out then it was a bad choice, but there wasn't a crystal ball at the time.

Well, I was 7, so I was probably in 2nd grade. Regarding Brady, you'll notice that, even though the Pats had Bledsoe, who was still in his prime, that didn't stop them from drafting Tom Brady, now did it? Just like them having Tom Brady didn't stop them from drafting Ryan Mallett. Yet, the Bills, who have had Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB for the past 2 years, didn't even bother to look at the QB position. And, don't give me that "Nobody was there" crap. Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson are 2 QB's off the top of my head who were there for the Bills pick in the second round or later.

Yeah, luck helps, but you have to be smart, too.

Then, again, why is it that, in the three years Nix has been in charge of the draft, their lone QB selection was Levi Brown in the 7th Round? If you know that teams need a QB, certainly the great scout/GM extrodinnaire Buddy Nix should.

Thank you for finally conceding that luck plays a part, old pal. Instead of searching about what I said 2 years ago, you may want to consult what I said in this very thread. I said this: "Since then we've been sitting on our hands with Trent Edwards, followed by Ryan Fitzpatrick, for the past five years. This was stupid." I said this in the very same post you just quoted: "they didn't sign Kaepernick like I wanted...instead, they were to sign Fitz to that ridiculous contract."

I said SEVERAL TIMES that the main reason the Bills have been picking around the top ten is because they haven't had a decent quarterback. Are you REALLY going to make me say it again?

Are you really so dense to think that the Bills hired Levy and Nix in a deliberate attempt to lose games? Why would they do that? Seriously. Again, these didn't seem like terrible moves at the time. These are your "football guys." They both saw success at what they did previous to being hired as Bills GM.

Polian didn't do too bad in Carolina, either. He had the Panthers in the NFC Championship in their second year of existence. Polian orchestrated things such as the Cornelius Bennett trade, as well. Again, I won't say that luck doesn't play a part in things, but the Bills seem to think that luck trumps actual talent and skill. It doesn't. You can't rely on "luck" to be the reason that you're successful.

Polian did not create a long-time winner in Carolina. That was more like an instant gratification type thing, and he used Carlolina as a stepping stone to gain more power elsewhere. They had ONE good year there under Polian, for sure. One great regular season and winning a single playoff game...one playoff appearance in their first nine years. My point is not to put Polian down. I said he was an excellent GM, all reports of being an ******* aside.

Thank you for conceding again that luck plays in. Luck doesn't trump talent and skill, and I never even hinted that I thought so. But inheriting Jim Kelly and having Peyton Manning handed to you in the draft on a silver platter does what? Having a Hall of Fame quarterback does what for your organization? How would your perception of GMs like Nix or Levy change if they had young Hall of Fame quarterbacks on their team? This is elementary here, B. Even you must see the common theme by now...QUARTERBACK.

Optomism left the station a while back, when the Bills Front Office decided it would be a better idea to retain Dick Jauron and sign Terrell Owens than go out and get a head coach and team that could actually win football games. Since then, the Bills moves haven't given me a whole lot to be optomistic for. They're like a ****-up machine with the "replay" button jammed. When they give real reasons to be optomistic, maybe I will be. But, I'm willing to bet that that won't be in the 2013 season.

Well then, we'll see you later. Stay in Indiana and do whatever the hell it is that they do there, and we'll catch you on the flip-side. If you aren't even a little bit interested in how Doug Marrone will do as coach or if the Bills are able to draft what turns out to be a decent QB, then why do you even bother following the team? You just a natural *****, or what? A natural ***** with a natural outlet? If so, you've hit pay dirt with the Bills.

As I said, I understand that luck is a part. However, again, the Bills seem to think that luck is the primary factor. It's not.

LOL, which orifice did you pull this out of? The same orifice in which your head is lodged? You have 32 teams trying to accomplish the same goals. What exactly is it that makes you think "the Bills seem to think that luck is the primary factor."

Judging by the past 13 seasons, I'm not the one that needs to "pull my head out of my ass." I'd be willing to bet that those who magically think that this will be any different than the past 13 seasons have a much larger case of having their "head up their ass," their "head in the sand," or whatever other analogy you want to use.

Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results. But, hey, if 13 years isn't enough for you.... Why not try a 14th right?

-Bill

Yes, I'm afraid that you DO have to pull your head out of your ass, Bill...the sooner the better.

I did not realize that the Bills hired Doug Morrone and his current coaching staff over and over, or that they will have drafted the same QB so many times. Again, if you feel the way you do, why do you even bother? This is a serious question, so please answer it. The boycott starts today pal, so go ahead with it, and we'll see you later...that is unless you actually enjoy *****ing, which I think may be a real possibility.

feldspar
03-23-2013, 11:49 PM
double post

SpikedLemonade
03-24-2013, 11:12 AM
So the Bills are just unlucky?

LOL

feldspar
03-24-2013, 12:37 PM
So the Bills are just unlucky?

LOL

Among other things, they have been unlucky, Champ.

SpikedLemonade
03-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Among other things, they have been unlucky, Champ.

So out of 53 years they were lucky for 5 or 6 years?

feldspar
03-24-2013, 12:48 PM
So out of 53 years they were lucky for 5 or 6 years?

Dunno what kind of reaction you are looking from me here. I say luck plays in, and that's all I have to say about that...do you disagree? Did you actually read what I wrote?

I never said that ineptness doesn't play a larger role for a team that consistently sucks, or anything of the kind. BTW, 5 or 6 years is not accurate.

BLeonard
03-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Whatever you say, B. Having a Hall of Fame football guy (Levy) calling the shots...hell, why would you ever think of doing that in a pinch? Hall...of...Fame. The morons...

Hall of Fame COACH Has zero to do with being a GM. Hell Jim Kelly is a Hall of Fame QB, Thurman Thomas is a Hall of Fame RB and Bruce Smith is a Hall of Fame DE... Doesn't mean I want any of them to own the team. All three have shown signs of not-so-hall of fame money mismanagment.

Also, hindsight is a nice thing, right? With Levy and even Nix. Nix is a football guy that had a nice resume at the time too. Like anything else, if it doesn't work out then it was a bad choice, but there wasn't a crystal ball at the time.

You shouldn't need a crystal ball to know that you're asking for trouble by hiring a 70 year old scout into a position he's never held before.

Thank you for finally conceding that luck plays a part, old pal. Instead of searching about what I said 2 years ago, you may want to consult what I said in this very thread. I said this: "Since then we've been sitting on our hands with Trent Edwards, followed by Ryan Fitzpatrick, for the past five years. This was stupid." I said this in the very same post you just quoted: "they didn't sign Kaepernick like I wanted...instead, they were to sign Fitz to that ridiculous contract."

Problem is, this isn't an isolated incident. This kind of head-shaking **** happens at OBD routinely. See Chris Kelsay, for instance.

I said SEVERAL TIMES that the main reason the Bills have been picking around the top ten is because they haven't had a decent quarterback. Are you REALLY going to make me say it again?

Nix has had three drafts to get one. How many more mulligans does he get?

Are you really so dense to think that the Bills hired Levy and Nix in a deliberate attempt to lose games? Why would they do that? Seriously. Again, these didn't seem like terrible moves at the time. These are your "football guys." They both saw success at what they did previous to being hired as Bills GM.

Lose games? No. Don't recall saying that. However, I DO think that they hired Levy as a publicity stunt and they hired Nix because he was cheap and already with the Bills. If you recall, Levy wanted to come back as the Head Coach, but Ralph wouldn't allow it.

Polian did not create a long-time winner in Carolina. That was more like an instant gratification type thing, and he used Carlolina as a stepping stone to gain more power elsewhere. They had ONE good year there under Polian, for sure. One great regular season and winning a single playoff game...one playoff appearance in their first nine years. My point is not to put Polian down. I said he was an excellent GM, all reports of being an ******* aside.

One good year is a helluva lot more than Marv Levy and Buddy Nix have to show as NFL GM's...

Thank you for conceding again that luck plays in. Luck doesn't trump talent and skill, and I never even hinted that I thought so. But inheriting Jim Kelly and having Peyton Manning handed to you in the draft on a silver platter does what? Having a Hall of Fame quarterback does what for your organization? How would your perception of GMs like Nix or Levy change if they had young Hall of Fame quarterbacks on their team? This is elementary here, B. Even you must see the common theme by now...QUARTERBACK.

Again, Nix has had three drafts. If you know how important QB is, then certainly, Nix, being this great football GM that you make him out to be, must know it too. Why is it then that the only QB he has drafted during time as Bills GM is Levi Brown?

Well then, we'll see you later. Stay in Indiana and do whatever the hell it is that they do there, and we'll catch you on the flip-side. If you aren't even a little bit interested in how Doug Marrone will do as coach or if the Bills are able to draft what turns out to be a decent QB, then why do you even bother following the team? You just a natural *****, or what? A natural ***** with a natural outlet? If so, you've hit pay dirt with the Bills.

I've seen this story play out in pretty much the same fashion over the past 13 seasons. Like I said, bookmark this thread and when the 2013 season is over and the Bills are in the playoffs, I'll be more than happy to come right back here and tell you how wrong I was to doubt Russ Brandon and Buddy Nix.

LOL, which orifice did you pull this out of? The same orifice in which your head is lodged? You have 32 teams trying to accomplish the same goals. What exactly is it that makes you think "the Bills seem to think that luck is the primary factor."

I say that because that is what the owner of the team said... "We have to get lucky." Not, "We need to draft better." Not, "We need to retain our talent and not be so concerned with how much profit the team is making." Not, "We need better front office personnel more suitable to run an NFL Franchise."

No, the owner's big reason on why the Bills have sucked for the past 13 years and for about 40 of the 50 plus years they've been in existence is just plain old dumb luck.

I did not realize that the Bills hired Doug Morrone and his current coaching staff over and over, or that they will have drafted the same QB so many times. Again, if you feel the way you do, why do you even bother? This is a serious question, so please answer it. The boycott starts today pal, so go ahead with it, and we'll see you later...that is unless you actually enjoy *****ing, which I think may be a real possibility.

Doug Marrone is pretty much the same thing as pulling Chan Gailey out of retirement and hiring Dick Jauron when the Detroit Lions decided that they could do better. The problem again, really isnt the coaching, it's the Front Office, which has preety much been the same, except for the fact that they have out and out told everyone that Russ is making the decisions. But, anyone with any common sense knows that he's been making the decisions for a while now.

-Bill

tampabay25690
03-24-2013, 01:29 PM

Now is the time.

WOW and people actually LIKED your POST.....
So why do u come to billszone.com????
I will continue to support this team through whatever is going on......
I buy season TIX and I live in Florida. I will continue to buy them as well.

BertSquirtgum
03-24-2013, 03:01 PM

Now is the time.

Suck a wet fart from your boyfriends ass.

feldspar
03-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Suck a wet fart from your boyfriends ass.

LOL, I should have employed that tactic.

Extremebillsfan247
03-24-2013, 10:15 PM

Now is the time.
The Bills will just threaten to leave, or outsource more games to Toronto. Brandon has already been trying to dangle the no sellouts in December number over our heads. It sucks, but that's the reality of this situation. There's also no real legit way of organizing a movement large enough to be even remotely effective. The fans on this board combined probably don't even make up a 10th of the fan base. Just about the only thing we could do is try to collect enough money to buy time on a billboard. But those rarely even get noticed by those your trying to reach with the message. JMO

BLeonard
03-25-2013, 01:07 AM
The Bills will just threaten to leave, or outsource more games to Toronto. Brandon has already been trying to dangle the no sellouts in December number over our heads. It sucks, but that's the reality of this situation.

Here's the thing about that... They just signed a lease agreement for 10 years, with no outs until the 7th year. So, they can threaten all they want, but they really can't do much for the first 7 years of the agreement, including moving more games to Toronto, since the lease stipulates one game maximum per season there.

In short: If there were ever a time to try and do something, this would be that time. There's not much the Bills could really do, due to the new lease being done.

There's also no real legit way of organizing a movement large enough to be even remotely effective. The fans on this board combined probably don't even make up a 10th of the fan base. Just about the only thing we could do is try to collect enough money to buy time on a billboard. But those rarely even get noticed by those your trying to reach with the message. JMO

See, I don't buy that either, not in this day in age. With the type of technology we have these days, if you can have events occur, such as Occupy Wall Street, or get a billion people to watch "Gangnam Style" on YouTube, then certainly, there is a way to reach a majority of Buffalo Bills fans.

-Bill

trapezeus
03-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Yeah, maybe we should all go on a hunger strike. Tell you what, why don't you "do something about it" and call in a bomb scare at every game at the Ralph next year. Yeah, it's all time we stood up and DID something about it, dammit! It's about time we loaded up with our arsenal of guns and go on a rampage.

Or maybe we should just refuse to watch the sport we love...that'll show 'em.

These half-assed uprisings are laughable. If you really mean it, then don't watch the games or post 15,000 times on a Bills message board. Really give them the cold shoulder, and they'll certainly be very sorry. Put your money where your mouth is and do not watch the games...that's all I can say. If you do end up watching the games next year in any way, shape, or form after this type of talk, what would that make you? Full-blown boycott...go ahead.

Guess what? It won't matter. The only thing that will happen is that you'll lose out on some entertainment. No way you'll get enough solidarity to have any kind of revolt. If that revolt was successful, it would not affect positive change either. Negative things would come from it, but don't worry...it won't happen. Ralph ain't gonna sell the team because a handful of people didn't go to the 7 home games we have and we'll suddenly magically have a good football team. Maybe we can throw a protest parade, put up some billboards, and constantly picket the Bills on the streets and at the stadium...such tactics will ensure that the Bills get a franchise quarterback. It will wake everyone up and make them stop losing on purpose.

TV revenue is where it's at anyway. Ralph Wilson is going to be 95 in October...

comprehension isn't your strong point...got it.

"don't come to the site!" nonsense is so stupid. that logo and that team is what we all want to do well. unless you just enjoy watching 3rd downs not get converted and watching 300 yards a game rushing for hte opponent.

the team is built to fail because they don't put money in spots that matter. ralph wasn't a football guy and he routinely meddled with decisions.Russ isn't a football guy but he's tried.

they get the cheapest solutions in the areas that need the most seasoned vets. and its the feldspars who just eat it up and defend them. but the overall sense is this team is hitting a tipping point with even the most loyal fans.

try living outside of buffalo and supporting the bills. you take so much grief...at least you did up until 2007....then it became pity and now no one even remembers there is a team in buffalo other than the AFC EAst locations. That's not much of an exaggeration.

Just check in with us Feldspar when we are at the bottom of the east by week 4 with no hope of even sniffing the playoffs by week 8. Then we'll say to you, "you aren't allowed to complain....you like this." and that will be as absurd because we know you want a winner here.

and as i said before, i dropped my season tickets. i'll still travel home to see my folks, but i'm not buying any merchandise. so i'm doing what i said i'm willing to do.

Ingtar33
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
I for one couldn't believe the "warm" to "tepid" reaction bills fans had when Brandon was put in charge... as he's been the lone consistent part in the front office since Donahoe came into town.

Seriously... there should have been a lot more anger

justasportsfan
03-25-2013, 09:58 AM
I for one couldn't believe the "warm" to "tepid" reaction bills fans had when Brandon was put in charge... as he's been the lone consistent part in the front office since Donahoe came into town.

Seriously... there should have been a lot more anger

that means nothing . No one has come up with other than their opinion that Russ has made major decisions in coach/player personnel until the Marrone hire.

BertSquirtgum
03-25-2013, 01:10 PM
I dislike Russ Brandon and hate Buddy Nix but I'm still going to support the Buffalo Bills. They are my team and always will be even if they move. **** anyone who doesn't want to support them and considered themselves to be a fan of the team.

BLeonard
03-25-2013, 02:41 PM
I dislike Russ Brandon and hate Buddy Nix but I'm still going to support the Buffalo Bills. They are my team and always will be even if they move. **** anyone who doesn't want to support them and considered themselves to be a fan of the team.

People can be fans and support the team in a non-financial way... I don't think anyone here is saying "don't watch games" or "stop being a fan." Some are just tired or investing dollars on a product that doesn't seem to have any interest in getting any better, even after a 13 year hiatus from the NFL playoffs.

-Bill

better days
03-25-2013, 02:45 PM
People can be fans and support the team in a non-financial way... I don't think anyone here is saying "don't watch games" or "stop being a fan." Some are just tired or investing dollars on a product that doesn't seem to have any interest in getting any better, even after a 13 year hiatus from the NFL playoffs.

-Bill

Just by watching the Bills, you are supporting the team. The TV viewing numbers are a huge aspect of NFL MONEY. Even moreso than tickets sold for the game.

BertSquirtgum
03-25-2013, 03:10 PM

-Bill

Where in my post did I mention supporting the team financially?

trapezeus
03-25-2013, 03:41 PM

your support is hurting the actual performance of the team. that's what people need to understand. you can pull all the facts up to these blind people, but if they are unwilling to comprehend what's happening, the bills won't do anything different.

The wilsons sole goal is to have the bills be a performing asset. and as long as it keeps doing well because of low costs in front office personel and a salary cap craftily created, they don't care if they are 1-15 or happen to stumble into the playoffs.

and when that money dries up they'll move the team or sell to the highest bidder. but that old man doesn't want to sell the team. but you make it hurt his pocket book and he will sell. he's no saint. he's been a shyster for his entire tenure. and he crafted the perfect intern in Russ Brandon.

The only way the bills will get to hte playoffs is pure luck and happenstance. and they'll get crushed in the first game. we are left rooting for a 0.00001% chance level of luck to hit for us to win a super bowl.

being a fan of this team is so thankless because more than half the fans are optimistic about the next coming years.

BLeonard
03-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Just by watching the Bills, you are supporting the team. The TV viewing numbers are a huge aspect of NFL MONEY. Even moreso than tickets sold for the game.

Exactly. But, the title of this thread simply says to boycott FINANCIAL support. You can watch the Bills play and not support them financially.

Take my situation, for example: I watched every Bills game last year at a bar that had Sunday Ticket, with friends that also go there every Sunday.

Regardless of whether I show up there or not, the bar is gonna have Sunday Ticket, as the majority of the bar is Steeler fans. There are a few Bills fans that have our own corner, but again, if we didn't show, the games would still be on.

We do order food and drinks while out, but that can't be attributed to the Bills game, as I buy food and drink pretty much anytime I go to a bar.

In short, the point is, irrespective of my actions on a given Sunday (whether I go to the bar or not) the games will still be on there. I pay for my food and my drink, but the game is simply an added attraction. I could even be an ass, order water and have the game really be free of charge to me. I simply consider Bills games as what's on at the place that I'm eating at on Sunday afternoons during the fall.

Finally the "even moreso than tickets sold for the game" part of your statement pretty much hammers the point I made in an earlier post: Ticket sales aren't going to mean a damn thing to a new owner deciding whether or not to move the team.

-Bill

BLeonard
03-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Where in my post did I mention supporting the team financially?

You didn't, but your comment of "**** anyone who doesn't want to support them and considered themselves to be a fan of the team" made it seem that way. My apologies if that isn't the case.

I think that's a misconception that a lot of people have... You can still be a fan of the team, without giving them anything financially. As I said before, I don't think anyone here is saying that it would be a good idea to not support the Bills at all. I'm certainly not. I'll still watch every game in the 2013 season... But, I won't be buying any tickets, merchandise, etc. At least not unitl I see that the Front Office actually cares as much as I do.

Like I said before, I'm a Cubs fan, so losing doesn't faze me. It's the lack of effort and zero sense of urgency that personally, I feel a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 13 seasons, should have a helluva lot more of.

Hell, in the end, pretty much everyone on this board wants the same end result: For the Bills to be successful on the football field. I don't think anyone on this board (with maybe the exception of a few fans of different teams) don't want the Bills to be successful... Some people just don't see any sense of urgency from the Bills Frongt Office and as a result, aren't willing to contribute dollars to the team until they start showing that they care as much as we do.

-Bill