PDA

View Full Version : It's a 3 man race at QB

The King
03-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Just my opinion here. But we know Geno isn't falling, with OAK, JAX & AZ sitting above us one of those teams will make a move at QB if not two of them. Geno is widely considered the lead horse so consider him gone.

Barkley is the #2 consensus he's a USC guy (which comes with mixed opinions). The biggest knock on Barkley is arm strength, so why would the Bills take that challenge on, it's not a mechanics thing, it's not a mental thing, it's a skill he lacks.

That leaves Wilson, Nassib and Manuel.

NFL.com compares Wilson to Favre
Manuel to Gabbert
Nassib to Locker

They seem to like Dysert and Glennon more than Manuel and Nassib.

X-Era
03-25-2013, 04:13 PM
My guess for the Bills is they plan to draft either Smith, Barkley, or Wilson at 8. That's their 3. But I could see even an outside chance of Nassib at 8.

YardRat
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Don't discount Scott or Bray in Rd 2 or 3.

SABURZFAN
03-25-2013, 04:19 PM
My guess for the Bills is they plan to draft either Smith, Barkley, or Wilson at 8. That's their 3. But I could see even an outside chance of Nassib at 8.

if they draft ANY of those QBs at #8, this franchise will continue to be the laughingstock of football.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't discount Scott or Bray in Rd 2 or 3.

way to high for either one of them.

EDS
03-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Geno at 8 or take your chances on what falls to the second round, none of those other guys are viable options at 8.

YardRat
03-25-2013, 04:34 PM
if they draft ANY of those QBs at #8, this franchise will continue to be the laughingstock of football.

- - - Updated - - -

way to high for either one of them.

Granted, but the first round at #8 is way too high for everybody else. Buddy is going to 'reach' on a QB, it's just a matter of who and when.

Mouldsie
03-25-2013, 04:36 PM
I think Zac Dysert is underrated in terms of media and mock drafts. I'd be more comfortable using a 4th or 5th on him than a 1st on anyone else at QB. IDK where his true value lies with NFL teams...

SABURZFAN
03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
i'd rather see them take a chance on Sean Renfree in the 5th.

X-Era
03-25-2013, 04:50 PM
I think Zac Dysert is underrated in terms of media and mock drafts. I'd be more comfortable using a 4th or 5th on him than a 1st on anyone else at QB. IDK where his true value lies with NFL teams...A key concept.

The other teams set the worth on the QB prospects, not the fans.

None of these guys should go before the late 1st round if that. But we could easily see 2 QB's taken before the #8 pick.

Just the way it is.

We see fans here pissed every year at who they take. This year may be even worse than most. I really think a QB at 8 is likely.

Albany,n.y.
03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Granted, but the first round at #8 is way too high for everybody else. Buddy is going to 'reach' on a QB, it's just a matter of who and when.

Then he must be stopped before he can reach. If it means firing him the second a QB comes off the board before #8, it must be done.

swiper
03-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Just my opinion here. But we know Geno isn't falling, with OAK, JAX & AZ sitting above us one of those teams will make a move at QB if not two of them. Geno is widely considered the lead horse so consider him gone.

ROFL. The panic has officially set in.

That leaves Wilson, Nassib and Manuel.

And I hope you realize those guys all suck. The ONLY qb in this draft that might last as a back-up somewhere is Geno Smith.

swiper
03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
I think Zac Dysert is underrated in terms of media and mock drafts. I'd be more comfortable using a 4th or 5th on him than a 1st on anyone else at QB. IDK where his true value lies with NFL teams...

Stop it. Zac Dysert is terribly over-rated. Way, way, way over-rated. HE sucked so bad in the Senior Bowl that he makes Trent Edwards look like Johhny Unitis. Stay far the hell away from that garbage please.

Mr. Pink
03-25-2013, 05:41 PM
The only QB I'd roll the dice on in this draft is Geno.

The rest have way too many question marks.

EJ Manuel while intriquing will be over drafted by someone.

Mouldsie
03-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Stop it. Zac Dysert is terribly over-rated. Way, way, way over-rated. HE sucked so bad in the Senior Bowl that he makes Trent Edwards look like Johhny Unitis. Stay far the hell away from that garbage please.

Underlined part: How so? 5th round grade by most.
Bolded: And?
Underline #2: Ok then.

Colin Kaepernick and Russel Wilson didnt do anything in the senior bowl. Ponder lit it up there. The practices are more important. He struggled a bit under center and in 7 on 7's and such but I liked that from all accounts he played well once he faced a defense and once the pocket collapsed and he had to make something happen. I think being able to drop back and have things go according to plan can come with time and comfort in the system. The senior bowl is hard to gauge a QB IMO other that physical ability and things of that nature. Watch him play against Ohio State, a team that totally outclasses Miami, and tell me he doesn't show some promise as a late round pick. He is never mentioned with guys like Manuel and Jones but I think he can be considered just as good of a prospect for a potentially lower draft pick.

DraftBoy
03-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Personally I'd say wait till Round 3 grab Tyler Bray and then add Ryan Griffin as a UDFA and go BPA every where else.

TedMock
03-25-2013, 07:45 PM

We all have varying opinions on the different QB's, but PLEASE don't tell us you're basing an entire valuation on the senior bowl. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. It just looked bad the way it read.

ServoBillieves
03-25-2013, 08:16 PM

Colin Kaepernick and Russel Wilson didnt do anything in the senior bowl. Ponder lit it up there. The practices are more important. He struggled a bit under center and in 7 on 7's and such but I liked that from all accounts he played well once he faced a defense and once the pocket collapsed and he had to make something happen. I think being able to drop back and have things go according to plan can come with time and comfort in the system. The senior bowl is hard to gauge a QB IMO other that physical ability and things of that nature. Watch him play against Ohio State, a team that totally outclasses Miami, and tell me he doesn't show some promise as a late round pick. He is never mentioned with guys like Manuel and Jones but I think he can be considered just as good of a prospect for a potentially lower draft pick.

Don't feed the trolls please.

ublinkwescore
03-25-2013, 08:32 PM
I would consider either trading down in the first, taking Ej Manuel and pick up another 2nd then going LB, WR, or best guard with both second rd picks.

- - - Updated - - -

I would consider either trading down in the first, taking Ej Manuel and pick up another 2nd then going LB, WR, or best guard with both second rd picks.

BillsFever21
03-25-2013, 08:44 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Who wouldn't since that would be a perfect scenario. The bad part though it's easier said then done. You need to have a trading partner and the Bills front office has to be competent enough to pull it off and realize they could still get their player later in the round.

swiper
03-25-2013, 09:24 PM

Everybody that ever mentions him on these boards always uses that game as justification to take him. It was one game in college football. Lots of guys like Ryan Leaf, Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Jamarcus Russell, on and on, have had many great college games and turned out to be lousy pros. So IDK how to justify drafting him at all based on a single game. I'd much rather take a flyer on Bray than Dysert.

Goobylal
03-25-2013, 09:25 PM
All I hope is they've identified the best QB and take him at 8. I don't care who it is.

swiper
03-25-2013, 09:26 PM
We all have varying opinions on the different QB's, but PLEASE don't tell us you're basing an entire valuation on the senior bowl. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. It just looked bad the way it read.

Of course not, but he didn't look much better in other games either.

Night Train
03-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Comparing Manuel to Gabbert is completely absured. Their skill sets have nothing in common.

TedMock
03-26-2013, 04:18 AM
It all depends on the analyst doing to comparisons. Nfl.com also did one (Bucky Brooks, I think) that compared Wilson to Hasselback and Nassib to Fitzpatrick. I don't remember all the others off the top of my head, but he also compared Geno Smith to Sam Bradford, and I think Barkley to Pennington.

mjt328
03-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Comparing Manuel to Gabbert is completely absured. Their skill sets have nothing in common.

Agreed. Even more absurd is the Favre-Wilson comparison.

Wilson easily has the weakest arm of this draft class. He's the only prospect of the group that worries me he can't make all the NFL throws.

TigerJ
03-26-2013, 07:20 AM
I know it's easier said than done, but if Geno Smith is gone, I wouldn't rule out Buffalo at least attempting to trade down inn the first to get their choice of who remains among the QBs at a little better spot in terms of value.

DraftBoy
03-26-2013, 07:20 AM

The one comparison I see and its similar to Jones is that when the pocket begins to fall apart there are some issues with decision making and keeping his eyes down the field.

Historian
03-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Geno is the obvious gem, but he will be gone.

Marrone will insist they take HIS QB at 8.

Start saving for your Nassib jersies.

stuckincincy
03-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Not applicable to BUF (with only 6 selections), but I think Dysert is a viable project pick for a club with loaded with draft picks - perhaps as high as mid 3rd round.

N.B.: Post repeated from another thread.

jdaltroy5
03-26-2013, 08:10 AM
ROFL. The panic has officially set in.

And I hope you realize those guys all suck. The ONLY qb in this draft that might last as a back-up somewhere is Geno Smith.

Honest question for you and for the countless other people that all claim that the QBs in this draft suck.

How many games have you watched for each of those QBs?

I want to know what kind of sample size you're working with to come to the conclusion that these QBs suck.

jdaltroy5
03-26-2013, 08:17 AM
I know it's easier said than done, but if Geno Smith is gone, I wouldn't rule out Buffalo at least attempting to trade down inn the first to get their choice of who remains among the QBs at a little better spot in terms of value.

This kind of mentality drives me nuts.

If the guy is worth taking later on in the first round, he's worth taking at 8.

If you've identified who you want to take at QB, then don't dick around and try to pick up a couple of extra guys that will probably end up getting cut anyway.

Just take the guy you like at 8 and call it a day.

justasportsfan
03-26-2013, 08:18 AM
NFL.com compares Wilson to Favre
Manuel to Gabbert
Nassib to Locker

I don't like these comparisons.

I would liken Barkley to Gabbert .
Due to his mobility and size,Manuel is a poormans Kaepernick.
Wilson is no gunslinger like Farve.

PTI
03-26-2013, 10:30 AM

I saw that too, some guys were saying Dysert looked so lost that that he was completely coming off of team's draft boards. How can that not influence the decisions if he was truly that bad?

Mouldsie
03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Why?

Both are mobile, big armed guys, very raw, make questionable decisions under pressure, and are more hyped due to physical abilities than production or refinement

Mouldsie
03-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Everybody that ever mentions him on these boards always uses that game as justification to take him. It was one game in college football. Lots of guys like Ryan Leaf, Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Jamarcus Russell, on and on, have had many great college games and turned out to be lousy pros. So IDK how to justify drafting him at all based on a single game. I'd much rather take a flyer on Bray than Dysert.
Tyler Bray is the next Ryan Leaf IMO just without the high pick.

Mouldsie
03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Not applicable to BUF (with only 6 selections), but I think Dysert is a viable project pick for a club with loaded with draft picks - perhaps as high as mid 3rd round.

N.B.: Post repeated from another thread.
Exactly.

People act as if my saying I would love to take him in the 5th round means he is our franchise savior and starting day 1.... NO. It means he competes for a backup job the next 2 years and maybe pushes our 1st round QB next year. Best case scenario he becomes a reliable starter for you or if you find a franchise player next year (more likely than this year) and he develops and flashes in pre-season you move him for a draft pick or player in a couple years to a QB needy team. Or he becomes the next Frank Reich. Or he "busts."

My biggest thing is I dont see him as much worse value than Barkely or Bray or Manuel etc but he gets less air time. Throw all those names in a hat as far as I'm concerned.

Nassib and Wilson offer me more intrigue but not as much as the '14 class and not at the expense of other potential studs at #8

better days
03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
The only QB I'd roll the dice on in this draft is Geno.

The rest have way too many question marks.

EJ Manuel while intriquing will be over drafted by someone.

And Geno doesn't have question marks? He could never beat Marrones Cuse team. ALL these QBs have question marks as all QBs do every year. I think Manual has less question marks than Geno myself.

jdaltroy5
03-26-2013, 12:55 PM
And Geno doesn't have question marks? He could never beat Marrones Cuse team. ALL these QBs have question marks as all QBs do every year. I think Manual has less question marks than Geno myself.
If a QB doesn't have question marks, he goes first overall.

People want to pretend that a flawless QB prospect like Luck is just going to fall into our laps in the 8-12 range where we usually pick.

Do you know how many times we've been on the clock with a top 3 QB prospect still on the board?

Once.

One time in over 50 years of drafting.

Next year though. For sure.

Bill Cody
03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Scott Wright (NFL Draft Countdown) has Tyler Wilson (aka Brett Favre) not being chosen in the 1st 2 rounds of his updated mock

fluteflakes
03-26-2013, 01:18 PM

I love Zac Dysert as a prospect, I think he's a 3rd round pick when it's all said and done and if you give him time to learn and grow he could be a damn good starting QB.

TedMock
03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
I saw that too, some guys were saying Dysert looked so lost that that he was completely coming off of team's draft boards. How can that not influence the decisions if he was truly that bad?

He didn't look good by any stretch. On the other hand, a lot of people liked the way EJ looked in the game. The thing is, most who were there will tell you that all the QB's were pretty inconsistent during the week of practice. Many will also tell you that Dysert seemed to settle down as the week went on and started to play pretty well. It's also widely known that scouts put their efforts into the Senior Bowl practice week and do not really put much credibility into the game itself.

The reason the game is not weighted as much is because the circumstances for every player are not equal and the results often do not match what the player has shown through the last few years of games. Dysert has repeatedly showed that one of his bets attributes is his poise in the face of commotion. He played behind a horrible line in college and the offense was run to mask that as best as possible. He was also under contant pressure (as was Nassib who looked horrible) and not in a familiar system. Pugh played LT for part of Nassib's and Dysert's time on the field and he almost got both guys killed.

At the end of the day Dysert went 10-16 for 93 with 1 and 1, and he was sacked twice. The other two QB's on his team, Glennon (8/16, 82, 0-0) and (Nassib 4/9, 44, 0-1) failed to reach the end zone and didn't look any better. Considering they played at bigger programs, it just kind of shows how the day went for all the QB's.

If you look back at the two non-1st round QB's who made a splash this year, you will see that both improved during Senior Bowl practice week, but neither did well in the game. Wilson went 4/7 for 45, 1 and 1 and was sacked twice. Kaepernick went 4/9 for 53, 0 and 1. Both looked the part in the practices at times and both improved as the week went on. This is what helped them go in the 2nd as opposed to the 3rd or 4th that many originally suspected.