The Results of a Successful Financial Boycott....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

The Results of a Successful Financial Boycott....

Look no further than Russ Brandon's MLB employer, the Florida Marlins: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...eball/21948174

Yes, the Marlins, in the service of a non-humiliating turnout for the home opener, are turning to Groupon in order to get people to the ballpark. Action-news photographic evidence ...

THIS is the result of a fanbase being stepped on for too long... Humiliation, in the form of empty seats on Opening Day in a brand new ballpark.

Of course, their franchise has been around for 20 years now... Maybe it'll take that long of a playoff drought for the Bills before people stop spending their money on tickets...? Or, perhaps Marlins fans are just smarter...?

-Bill
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Re: The Results of a Successful Financial Boycott....

Another incident involving the Marlins that's related: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...ting-complaint

"They've pooped on fans' feelings for years," Jan Leon told the Miami New Times. "These seats are not what we paid for. ... They wouldn't [move us]. We're just tired of fighting constantly over our view being blocked and our safety endangered. ... I have no intention of renewing. They're a Double-A team now. It went down the toilet when they sold off all the players."

Pooped on fans? Harsh, but completely fair. The Marlins have been treating their fans poorly for years simply by selling off star players whenever they were deemed too expensive. But, if it's true, threatening to sue season-ticket holders for complaining about seats that have become dangerous due to an obstruction would be next-level awful. Are $25,000 seats worth all the headache and bad PR? Doesn't seem like it, but maybe Jeff Loria & Co. feel otherwise.
    The bolded parts sound familiar... Especially if you replace "selling off star players" with "letting good players walk in FA."

-Bill

Comment

• BillsFever21
      • Aug 2004

At least they have actually had SOME winning seasons and won a couple championships. They tear the team apart right afterwards but at least they have won at some point. You can't even say that for the Bills. This franchise is the laughingstock of the NFL.

While many other horrible teams have turned it around along with other teams that we have drafted around over the year the Bills continue to stay in the gutter. Going on at least 14 years now without even a single playoff appearance and only one winning season is all the proof in the world that you need.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

I watch down here in Charlotte either on NFL ticket, at the bar, or at a friends house.

If I'm lucky enough to go to Ralph Wilson, I've come to realize the best part is the guarantee that by the time I go through the great tailgate, the amazing friends/family/fans I get to see, the good food, and the chants promising a good day will be ruined by the second I step in to the stadium and see the product on the field followed by listening to WGR on the way home.

I truly, and with my entire heart believe the only thing that sells tickets, merchandise, and hope in this team anymore is the belief in fellow fans. Blame Russ, but I just as much blame myself and others who continue to believe that all others around us suffering might someday see a team worth watching in person.
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

The fans here are a high level of fan.

There are a whole ton of people who root for the Bills but don't even know half the team and will continue to pay to watch them because they just like football and it's their team.

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

You can't compare them to the Bills. The Marlins didn't draw when they had good teams.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

that will only happen if you have a beach available to you 12 months out of the year in upstate NY.

Finfans buy tickets but don't show up unless their team is good. They'd rather give their ticket away and go to the beach.

I used to be able to get free tickets to fins games when I lived in So Fla.

Besides, you can't compare baseball to football.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

It's a transient population of Northerners mixed with Cuban exiles that can't even speak english.

Tampa & Miami never should have received MLB teams. Spring training doesn't carry over into the regular season down there.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

as much as i'm with you, Bleonard, i agree, baseball and football is a hard comparison.

also, marlins have been somewhat successful over the years...even winning a championship in this millennium. So management must get something right occassionally.

however, the bills trot along aiming for 7-9 seasons and hopes that maybe next year might be a little different. and they have a fan base arguing over the merits of winning a game in late december for "pride" then to just finally bottom out.

nothing is going to change for buffalo. They'll remain the laughing stock of the league until ralph and russ are gone.

Comment

• coastal
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Preaching to the choir dude... but it's likely a wasted effort.

the majority of Bills fans have their support of the Bills too closely wrapped up into Personality disorders that likely will never be dealt with.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                      Making Spirits Bright
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by coastal View Post

the majority of Bills fans have their support of the Bills too closely wrapped up into Personality disorders that likely will never be dealt with.
                      And the people who want to make a change aren't willing to go further than their mouse and keyboard. But yeah, keep bashing Bills fans, the one's who have continued their support of this miserable franchise and kept them in Buffalo for all these years.

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                        And the people who want to make a change aren't willing to go further than their mouse and keyboard. But yeah, keep bashing Bills fans, the one's who have continued their support of this miserable franchise and kept them in Buffalo for all these years.
                        Here's a hint... go find a cross, hang it on the wall and nail yourself to it.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                          Making Spirits Bright
                          • Mar 2006

Here's a hint... go find a cross, hang it on the wall and nail yourself to it.
                          I'm not putting myself in the group of people that has financially supported the Bills all these years, I'm not even close.

Thanks for the hint though...go jesus.

Comment

• sukie
                            Seriously?
                            • Sep 2012

The Marlins had a shiny new ball park and a huge payroll with big free agents yet failed to dray in May and earlyJune BEFORE the wheels came off.

The big issue is location of the ballpark and the fact that hispanic baseball fans like only CUBAN ball players but that still cannot get them to come out.

Comment

• kishoph
                              • Jun 2003

Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Comment

Working...
                              X