PDA

View Full Version : The Results of a Successful Financial Boycott....

BLeonard
03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Look no further than Russ Brandon's MLB employer, the Florida Marlins: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21948174

Yes, the Marlins, in the service of a non-humiliating turnout for the home opener, are turning to Groupon in order to get people to the ballpark. Action-news photographic evidence ...

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images//visual/whatshot/Marlins-Groupon-2013-opening-day.png

THIS is the result of a fanbase being stepped on for too long... Humiliation, in the form of empty seats on Opening Day in a brand new ballpark.

Of course, their franchise has been around for 20 years now... Maybe it'll take that long of a playoff drought for the Bills before people stop spending their money on tickets...? Or, perhaps Marlins fans are just smarter...?

-Bill

BLeonard
03-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Another incident involving the Marlins that's related: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21912900/marlins-threaten-to-sue-season-ticket-holders-over-seating-complaint

"They've pooped on fans' feelings for years," Jan Leon told the Miami New Times. "These seats are not what we paid for. ... They wouldn't [move us]. We're just tired of fighting constantly over our view being blocked and our safety endangered. ... I have no intention of renewing. They're a Double-A team now. It went down the toilet when they sold off all the players."

Pooped on fans? Harsh, but completely fair. The Marlins have been treating their fans poorly for years simply by selling off star players whenever they were deemed too expensive. But, if it's true, threatening to sue season-ticket holders for complaining about seats that have become dangerous due to an obstruction would be next-level awful. Are $25,000 seats worth all the headache and bad PR? Doesn't seem like it, but maybe Jeff Loria & Co. feel otherwise.

The bolded parts sound familiar... Especially if you replace "selling off star players" with "letting good players walk in FA."

-Bill

BillsFever21
03-25-2013, 05:33 PM
At least they have actually had SOME winning seasons and won a couple championships. They tear the team apart right afterwards but at least they have won at some point. You can't even say that for the Bills. This franchise is the laughingstock of the NFL.

While many other horrible teams have turned it around along with other teams that we have drafted around over the year the Bills continue to stay in the gutter. Going on at least 14 years now without even a single playoff appearance and only one winning season is all the proof in the world that you need.

ServoBillieves
03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
I watch down here in Charlotte either on NFL ticket, at the bar, or at a friends house.

If I'm lucky enough to go to Ralph Wilson, I've come to realize the best part is the guarantee that by the time I go through the great tailgate, the amazing friends/family/fans I get to see, the good food, and the chants promising a good day will be ruined by the second I step in to the stadium and see the product on the field followed by listening to WGR on the way home.

I truly, and with my entire heart believe the only thing that sells tickets, merchandise, and hope in this team anymore is the belief in fellow fans. Blame Russ, but I just as much blame myself and others who continue to believe that all others around us suffering might someday see a team worth watching in person.

X-Era
03-25-2013, 07:36 PM
The fans here are a high level of fan.

There are a whole ton of people who root for the Bills but don't even know half the team and will continue to pay to watch them because they just like football and it's their team.

Novacane
03-26-2013, 06:56 AM
You can't compare them to the Bills. The Marlins didn't draw when they had good teams.

justasportsfan
03-26-2013, 08:48 AM
that will only happen if you have a beach available to you 12 months out of the year in upstate NY.

Finfans buy tickets but don't show up unless their team is good. They'd rather give their ticket away and go to the beach.

I used to be able to get free tickets to fins games when I lived in So Fla.

Besides, you can't compare baseball to football.

Night Train
03-26-2013, 09:01 AM
It's a transient population of Northerners mixed with Cuban exiles that can't even speak english.

Tampa & Miami never should have received MLB teams. Spring training doesn't carry over into the regular season down there.

trapezeus
03-26-2013, 09:08 AM
as much as i'm with you, Bleonard, i agree, baseball and football is a hard comparison.

also, marlins have been somewhat successful over the years...even winning a championship in this millennium. So management must get something right occassionally.

however, the bills trot along aiming for 7-9 seasons and hopes that maybe next year might be a little different. and they have a fan base arguing over the merits of winning a game in late december for "pride" then to just finally bottom out.

nothing is going to change for buffalo. They'll remain the laughing stock of the league until ralph and russ are gone.

coastal
03-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Preaching to the choir dude... but it's likely a wasted effort.

the majority of Bills fans have their support of the Bills too closely wrapped up into Personality disorders that likely will never be dealt with.

Joe Fo Sho
03-26-2013, 09:24 AM

the majority of Bills fans have their support of the Bills too closely wrapped up into Personality disorders that likely will never be dealt with.

And the people who want to make a change aren't willing to go further than their mouse and keyboard. But yeah, keep bashing Bills fans, the one's who have continued their support of this miserable franchise and kept them in Buffalo for all these years.

coastal
03-26-2013, 09:30 AM
And the people who want to make a change aren't willing to go further than their mouse and keyboard. But yeah, keep bashing Bills fans, the one's who have continued their support of this miserable franchise and kept them in Buffalo for all these years.
Here's a hint... go find a cross, hang it on the wall and nail yourself to it.

Joe Fo Sho
03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Here's a hint... go find a cross, hang it on the wall and nail yourself to it.

I'm not putting myself in the group of people that has financially supported the Bills all these years, I'm not even close.

Thanks for the hint though...go jesus.

sukie
03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
The Marlins had a shiny new ball park and a huge payroll with big free agents yet failed to dray in May and earlyJune BEFORE the wheels came off.

The big issue is location of the ballpark and the fact that hispanic baseball fans like only CUBAN ball players but that still cannot get them to come out.

kishoph
03-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

coastal
03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Intolerance of stupidity isn't a personality disorder.

its my life's mission.

delectrolux
03-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Being a Bills fan makes me happy. Talking about the Bills makes me happy. Watching the Bills makes me happy – even when they suck. My enjoyment of the sport of football in general, and the Bills in particular, is not directly tied to them winning. Honestly, I like being a Bills fan regardless of their on-field output. I'm not a fan because they win (obviously). I'm a fan because they represent Buffalo.

So, I would rather have a losing franchise representing the city I was born and raised in, then have a winning franchise somewhere else. It's not a personality disorder, and it's not stupidity – it's a choice I made because it gives me a feeling of connection to my hometown. I want them to win. I sure hope they do. I really loved it when they did. But them being terrible hasn't made me love the Bills less.

And to the OP's point. This is not a successful financial boycott. For all of the reasons stated above (FL's general lack of support for the Marlins ever and the differences in baseball and football) – but mostly because the lack of support hasn't succeeded in doing anything other than empty the stadium. Most likely, this "successful" financial boycott will only result in Miami losing the Marlins.

Joe Fo Sho
03-26-2013, 10:43 AM

its my life's mission.

Saying you're intolerant of stupidity and then having grammatical errors in your very next sentence is an oxymoron.

trapezeus
03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Being a Bills fan makes me happy. Talking about the Bills makes me happy. Watching the Bills makes me happy – even when they suck. My enjoyment of the sport of football in general, and the Bills in particular, is not directly tied to them winning. Honestly, I like being a Bills fan regardless of their on-field output. I'm not a fan because they win (obviously). I'm a fan because they represent Buffalo.

So, I would rather have a losing franchise representing the city I was born and raised in, then have a winning franchise somewhere else. It's not a personality disorder, and it's not stupidity – it's a choice I made because it gives me a feeling of connection to my hometown. I want them to win. I sure hope they do. I really loved it when they did. But them being terrible hasn't made me love the Bills less.

And to the OP's point. This is not a successful financial boycott. For all of the reasons stated above (FL's general lack of support for the Marlins ever and the differences in baseball and football) – but mostly because the lack of support hasn't succeeded in doing anything other than empty the stadium. Most likely, this "successful" financial boycott will only result in Miami losing the Marlins.

i love the team because its my hometown and i know nothing else. i don't know any other team to the level i know the bills history and my personal connection.

but 13 years of this hsa taken its toll. by end of december i dont even go tot he bills bar anymore. i just go to a regular bar and watch it quitely and its' so boring.

i just remember those times when in november, the team was humming and it was about playoof prep and having htat lump in your throat that they might not win and then they did and they did in big fashion and you rolled forward.

now it's like after week 5, hot start or not, you know they will find a way to suck. and the only answers the bills provide is that next year with the same decision makers will be better because we are kind of hoping it will be.

meanwhile other teams go from worst to playoffs very easily.

i just want to go back to where the games mean something, people talk trash to you, you feel comfortable that your team might be able to hold up. and of course, that one glorious moment when you can cry that these losing shackles are off us forever as we are the champions of the world.

coastal
03-26-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm a moron.fixed it for u.

delectrolux
03-26-2013, 11:09 AM
i just want to go back to where the games mean something, people talk trash to you, you feel comfortable that your team might be able to hold up. and of course, that one glorious moment when you can cry that these losing shackles are off us forever as we are the champions of the world.

It's what everybody wants – how we get there, and what fans do while they wait, causes the most conflict. Me? I watch and wait and hope. And when I'm not doing that, I don't worry about it too much.

BertSquirtgum
03-26-2013, 11:09 AM

its my life's mission.

So is your story still that you are a 40 year old man with a wife named Blondie on here? Absolutely pathetic.

delectrolux
03-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Saying you're intolerant of stupidity and then having grammatical errors in your very next sentence is an I'm a moron.

That makes even less grammatical sense.

Joe Fo Sho
03-26-2013, 11:19 AM
fixed it for u.

You're so good at using a computer.

Joe Fo Sho
03-26-2013, 11:21 AM
So is your story still that you are a 40 year old man with a wife named Blondie on here? Absolutely pathetic.

Don't forget that he's a Niners fan and practices physical therapy at what must be the most terrifying medical center ever.

coastal
03-26-2013, 11:50 AM
So is your story still that you are a 40 year old man with a wife named Blondie on here?just living the dream!

oh... Blondie's a massage therapist too!

coastal
03-26-2013, 11:51 AM
You're so good at using a computer.
I'm strong enough to be a role model.

DraftBoy
03-26-2013, 12:01 PM
You can't compare them to the Bills. The Marlins didn't draw when they had good teams.

Plus they basically deceived their entire fan base making a big splash in FA and then trading everybody away after interest grew.

coastal
03-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Plus they basically deceived their entire fan base making a big splash in FA and then letting their best lineman go away after interest grew.levitre... Cough... Levitre

delectrolux
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
levitre... Cough... Levitre

Subtle difference between "and then trading everybody away after interest grew" and "and then letting their best lineman go away after interest grew".

Also, you can't really say there is a whole lot of interest growing after last year.

coastal
03-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Subtle difference between "and then trading everybody away after interest grew" and "and then letting their best lineman go away after interest grew".

Also, you can't really say there is a whole lot of interest growing after last year.
Your username sounds like a new-age dishwasher soap.

delectrolux
03-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Your username sounds like a new-age dishwasher soap.

And yours sounds like a new age bath soap bar. Like one made from bamboo and charcoal...
Oh wait: http://coastalsoapworks.com/

The King
03-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Very different since even when they were a top team they couldnt sell out. Half of Florida are New England natives, they've always had a hard time. Unless the Sox are in town.

coastal
03-26-2013, 12:22 PM
And yours sounds like a new age bath soap bar. Like one made from bamboo and charcoal...
Oh wait: http://coastalsoapworks.com/
Lolz!

Awesome... gotta love the offseason!

sukie
03-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Very different since even when they were a top team they couldnt sell out. Half of Florida are New England natives, they've always had a hard time. Unless the Sox are in town.

they didn't sell out for the Sox last seaon

Mski
03-26-2013, 07:00 PM
THIS is the result of a fanbase being stepped on for too long... Humiliation, in the form of empty seats on Opening Day in a brand new ballpark.

Of course, their franchise has been around for 20 years now... Maybe it'll take that long of a playoff drought for the Bills before people stop spending their money on tickets...? Or, perhaps Marlins fans are just smarter...?

-Bill

atleast they have two world titles :ill:

DraftBoy
03-26-2013, 07:28 PM
levitre... Cough... Levitre

Nobody was deceived by Levitre leaving.

coastal
03-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Nobody was deceived by Levitre leaving.
We've seen it all before...

BertSquirtgum
03-26-2013, 07:58 PM
The results of blowing a fart....

http://www.pleasegodno.com/uploads/poop.jpg

DraftBoy
03-26-2013, 08:00 PM
We've seen it all before...

Players leaving? Yes it happens every year.

WagonCircler
03-26-2013, 08:08 PM
just living the dream!

Yeah. An overgrown child who spends 80 hours a week on internet message boards. That's one pathetic dream.

coastal
03-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Yeah. An overgrown child who spends 80 hours a week on internet message boards. That's one pathetic dream.
Have u gotten your check for services rendered yet?

lolz.

putz.

WagonCircler
03-27-2013, 06:19 AM

lolz.

putz.

Have you gotten your results from the STD clinic?

swiper
03-27-2013, 06:27 AM

You can get an STD from a massage?

coastal
03-27-2013, 06:52 AM
What's wrong?

did u melt the Range server down hanging new wallpaper?

so now your squatting here?

back under the bridge with you!

WagonCircler
03-27-2013, 07:25 AM
What's wrong?

did u melt the Range server down hanging new wallpaper?

so now your squatting here?

back under the bridge with you!

I told Rich the Fuhrer to *** off 6 months ago. Now I'm here to pummel you like the little whiny little ***** that you are.

coastal
03-27-2013, 07:33 AM
I told Rich the Fuhrer to *** off 6 months ago. Now I'm here to pummel you like the little whiny little ***** that you are.some guys have all the luck.

And some guys worked for Jim Kelly.

BertSquirtgum
03-27-2013, 10:31 PM

lolz.

putz.

I see that Spikedlemonade is your another one of your usernames. Absolutely pathetic.

pmoon6
03-28-2013, 04:23 AM
I see that Spikedlemonade is your another one of your usernames. Absolutely pathetic.Just a heads up. They are not the same person.

BLeonard
03-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Apparently, you don't know that, with the new stadium comes a lease that keeps the Marlins in Miami for 35 years... So, regardless of whether fans show up or not, the Marlins are tied to Miami for 34 more years... You really think Loria and co. (and more importantly, other MLB owners) are willing to lose ticket sales and stadium revenue for that long? This boycott will very likley force one of two things to happen, well before the lease is up:

1: Force Loria and co. to try and field a successful franchise, in order to lure fans back or
2: Force Loria and co. to sell the team (perhaps by other team owners) to an owner that will try and field a successful franchise, in order to lure fans back.

In either case above, it's the fans doing exactly what they can to try to force change sooner than later... That's why it's a successful boycott.

My guess is, if Bills fans felt the same way and ticket and merchandise sales plummeted, you'd see changes happen pretty quickly as well.

Instead, some fans are "just happy to have a team." Which Ralph and Russ and the rest of the front office love, because that takes very little effort on their end. The kind of "very little effort" you have seen over a majority of the past 13 seasons.

-Bill

streetkings01
03-29-2013, 09:39 AM
I did my part and didn't renew my season tickets after the 2007 season ended.

sukie
03-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Apparently, you don't know that, with the new stadium comes a lease that keeps the Marlins in Miami for 35 years... So, regardless of whether fans show up or not, the Marlins are tied to Miami for 34 more years... You really think Loria and co. (and more importantly, other MLB owners) are willing to lose ticket sales and stadium revenue for that long? This boycott will very likley force one of two things to happen, well before the lease is up:

1: Force Loria and co. to try and field a successful franchise, in order to lure fans back or
2: Force Loria and co. to sell the team (perhaps by other team owners) to an owner that will try and field a successful franchise, in order to lure fans back.

In either case above, it's the fans doing exactly what they can to try to force change sooner than later... That's why it's a successful boycott.

My guess is, if Bills fans felt the same way and ticket and merchandise sales plummeted, you'd see changes happen pretty quickly as well.

Instead, some fans are "just happy to have a team." Which Ralph and Russ and the rest of the front office love, because that takes very little effort on their end. The kind of "very little effort" you have seen over a majority of the past 13 seasons.

-Bill

This is not a boycott by Marlins fans. It's a feeling of Meh. If that feeling wasn't there... the stadium would still be empty like last spring. They drew for a month then nadda. Loria's spending failed to do 2 things.

1. failed to draw even when the team was the hottest in baseball (I think early May)
2. Failed to draw even less when team tanked. Loria bailed.

Now it is said he did the cutting on purpose and had an out with those big free agent contracts but the fan base down here is frontrunner band wagon jumpers... Winning is the only hope to draw. A financial fan boycott doesn't work when there are no fans to boycott in the first place

Mski
03-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Loria is the scum of all scummy sports owners... single handedly forced the expos out of montreal, and continued to make a mockery of the FA process by not once, but twice buying a championship team, only to completely dismantle it again that following off season