• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightVoice
    Retired (mostly)
    • Mar 2003

Buffalo Bills set to reenact Florida Gulf Coast's Cinderella run

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...cinderella-run

A No. 15 seed made the Sweet 16 for the first time in the history of the NCAA men's basketball tournament last weekend. The story of Florida Gulf Coast University was absolutely epic, transcending sports. It was historic, captivating and breathtaking.

It made me wonder, is there a team in the NFL that could star in its own version of the out-of-nowhere, rags-to-riches Horatio Alger tale of FGCU? Which NFL team would count as a legit No. 15 seed, capable of shocking the world?

I've written about the Arizona Cardinals making a run this season. Their defense is legit. I love what the Kansas City Chiefs have done; they will win at least six more games this year. Jeff Fisher, meanwhile, has the St. Louis Rams trending. But none of those squads are flying under anyone's radar. if you want to follow a potential Cinderella story, you have to find the dark horse. Look for a team so low, no one can see it.

The potential NFL equivalent of FGCU is the team with the longest playoff drought in the NFL: your Buffalo Bills

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: Buffalo Bills set to reenact Florida Gulf Coast's Cinderella run

Originally posted by MidnightVoice View Post
    Florida Gulf Coastal

Comment

• Oaf
      Do you read what you write?
      • Jun 2007

Nice!

Give me Nassib and let's roll.

Comment

• Thief
        • Sep 2009

I'm thinking everyone thinks if they keep picking the Bills every year they should be right due to some law of averages. But this is like a slot machine. No law of averages here Homes.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Holmes

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

exciting read...i doubt it happens, but i'd be dancing with everyone else if it did.

i think one issue with the morose feeling about the bills is that marrone really isn't out in front being the face of the team in any way. He just seems so quiet to the fan that it's hard to think anything has changed.

i realize we'll have to wait til training camp, but he hasn't really gotten out in front of the press early. so we don't really know how much is or isn't changing. my gut just says, marrone is being forced to conform to the way it is than being a revolutionary. and that is how most organizations work. new dynamic leaders take over and change everything underneath them. marrone is just a piece in the middle.

Comment

• Lucidvizion
              Surfing on the Edge of Infinity
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
              Holmes
              No.

I never really felt homesick before since I never felt belong to anywhere I go. And that’s why it’s fine by me even if I go places to places. But whenever I think about you, all I feel is peace. It’s an unfamiliar feeling, but I know this is what home feels like. You’re calming me and giving me peace just by visiting my thoughts, and though you don’t know, thank you for that.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Yeah, FGCU is the local college here & doing awesome. It's good to actually have a positive sporting event happen near me. The FL Everblades (hockey) won it all last season, which was nice as well.
                Last edited by Skooby; 03-26-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                  • Aug 2004

The New York Jets are rebuilding. I think the Miami Dolphins are over-hyped. The Bills can split with the Patriots, provided they can generate a pass rush and run the ball. All of this means that the Bills can easily go 4-2 in the AFC East.

They can easily go 4-2 in the division? That's laughable considering we're lucky to win that many division games in two years let alone one single season. Anything is possible but it's highly unlikely.

Every season we see an article with somebody predicting us making a run for the playoffs and everybody gets up in arms about it. That's just the way journalism goes. If they are wrong everybody forgets about it but if they are right they can say how bold of a prediction it was.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                    • Jun 2024

The only similarity we will have with a 15th seed is that our record may have a 15 in it -- 1-15.

Comment

• Gibby
                      • Jun 2006

All this talk of reenacting FGCU's run is bullcrap. FGCU had a very good record, and won or at least played very close to some very good opponents who were seeded much higher. If anything, the Bills are kind of like the Liberty University Flames who had a losing season, backed into the qualifier for the tournament and got eliminated by North Carolina A&T and finished 15-21. Like the Bills, Liberty has rarely even made the post tournament, has very few conference titles, and had only one standout on their whole team. That's right Liberty's equivalent of CJ Spiller is G John Caleb Sanders. The rest of that team sucked ass. Even more creepy, Liberty has our color scheme and they went 6-10 in their conference.
                      Last edited by Generalissimus Gibby; 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Suetonius View Post
                        All this talk of reenacting FGCU's run is bullcrap. FGCU had a very good record, and won or at least played very close to some very good opponents who were seeded much higher. If anything, the Bills are kind of like the Liberty University Flames who had a losing season, backed into the qualifier for the tournament and got eliminated by North Carolina A&T and finished 15-21. Like the Bills, Liberty has rarely even made the post tournament, has very few conference titles, and had only one standout on their whole team. That's right Liberty's equivalent of CJ Spiller is G John Caleb Sanders. The rest of that team sucked ass. Even more creepy, Liberty has our color scheme and they went 6-10 in their conference.
                        Obscurity at it's finest.

Comment

• cookie G
                          • Mar 2003

That article reads like the prattle of someone sitting on a bar stool at 2 am, after downing their 22nd shot.

But it is cute that 'Cuse alum Adam Schien is so overhyped on the possibility of a Marrone-Nassib reunion in Buffalo.

Comment

• Gibby
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                            Obscurity at it's finest.

Not my fault that you didn't watch the First Four round of qualifiers. It was actually a pretty good game, and I remember the name John Sanders #33 for Liberty as he was the only one on that team who did much in that game. The rest of the stuff I had to wiki. That being said, obscurity is another commonality both Liberty and the Bills have. Seriously, you don't find too many Bills fans outside of WNY (and smatterings of ex-pats) and I have never met a Liberty University fan.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Skoobasaurus-Rex
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Suetonius View Post
                              Not my fault that you didn't watch the First Four round of qualifiers. It was actually a pretty good game, and I remember the name John Sanders #33 for Liberty as he was the only one on that team who did much in that game. The rest of the stuff I had to wiki. That being said, obscurity is another commonality both Liberty and the Bills have. Seriously, you don't find too many Bills fans outside of WNY (and smatterings of ex-pats) and I have never met a Liberty University fan.
                              If something is it's finest, is that a negative ? I also like to look for the obscure, it makes things funnier for those who get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X