PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barkleys Pro Day - Meh

Night Train
03-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Watched him live on NFLN. Short, scripted throws OK. Decent velocity. 20-30 yards downfield, he was so-so. Some nice ones but shorted several throws. Behind on a few deeper slants. Mayock says the ball wobbled. Workout was outside with a slight breeze.

Doesn't look like an option at #8 to me at all. Just my opinion. Looks more like a 2nd rounder to me. He didn't look elite at all.

Mayock said Geno Smith and Manuel have some zip on their throws that Barkley lacks. Personally, I'm putting a line right through his name.

Mr. Miyagi
03-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Sounds bad. 8 is also too high for Nassib and Wilson, both of whom I like.

Guess we'll take BPA at 8 and see who falls to us in the 2nd. The sucky part is, there's now a whole day before the 2nd round so teams have a ton of time wheeling and dealing to get in front of us.

Night Train
03-27-2013, 04:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154608/article/matt-barkleys-usc-pro-day-workout-draws-mixed-reviews

TigerJ
03-27-2013, 05:10 PM
I think he'll probably end up being a decent pro QB, and I wouldn't mind if he ended up as a Bill, but it sounds to me like he's a significant reach at #8. I just don't think Nix is inclined too reach that far, nor do I think he should. Trade down if they can and take the QB you like the most between Nassib, Barkley, Manuel and maybe Wilson. If you can't do that, you have to hope your guy is left at 41. Then, of course, there's Matt Scott.

Michael82
03-27-2013, 05:12 PM
I've been saying USC Bust for Barkley for a while. I don't want him at all!

DetDannyWilliams
03-27-2013, 05:25 PM
do we really want this guy??? Bills and So. Cal QB's don't mix Rob Johnson, Trent Edwards! I'm sorry I just had to bring it up :lol:

Night Train
03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
I can still hear Polian talking at the Combine about Barkley. Said he had the skill set of a backup, when watching tape.

Michael82
03-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Don't forget about how injury prone he is.... Rob Johnson part II. :ill:

X-Era
03-27-2013, 05:48 PM
I can still hear Polian talking at the Combine about Barkley. Said he had the skill set of a backup, when watching tape.
Personally, I feel like the whole class looks inconsistent.

But so did Dalton, Keap, Wilson, and Ponder. I think it's just so tough to judge.

I don't think he has any less chance to become a playoff QB than about 4 other QB's in this draft. But he also doesn't have any more chance either. I rank him 2nd out of the QB prospects.

I could see him becoming a Dalton/Kaep/Ponder as far as success. But he's by no means a Luck and none of them are.

Night Train
03-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Previous reports that only Whaley planned on attending the USC pro day. This today from Rob Rang at CBS Sports.

The Buffalo Bills, an organization that has been quite transparent in its plans to draft a quarterback, were conspicuously absent from the workout.

coastal
03-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Quite transparent?

about the draft?

Nix is still employed why exactly?

mrbojanglezs
03-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Previous reports that only Whaley planned on attending the USC pro day. This today from Rob Rang at CBS Sports.

The Buffalo Bills, an organization that has been quite transparent in its plans to draft a quarterback, were conspicuously absent from the workout.

Whaley was there.

BertSquirtgum
03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Manuel is raw and will take a year or two to develop but that's who I want the Bills to draft. If they think they need to draft him at 8 then so be it.

Mouldsie
03-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Personally, I feel like the whole class looks inconsistent.

But so did Dalton, Keap, Wilson, and Ponder. I think it's just so tough to judge.

Credibility lost.

don137
03-28-2013, 05:11 AM
I worry that Barlkey could be the next Jimmy Clausen. Lots of hoopla about him going into and throughout college but just does not have it to make it as a pro.

DraftBoy
03-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Barkley never wowed me on tape with his ability to make throws, I actually thought his best year was a Freshman year and that he relied way too much on Lee the last two seasons forcing passes to him on a number of occasions.

My issue with Barkley isn't necessarily his arm strength as I know he can make every throw its his decision making, he makes some horrid decisions over the deep middle and seems to over trust his WR's. Also the Kiffin offense is one you watch and just want to cringe at, so many screens and short throws, how is a QB supposed to develop proper defense reading skills if he's never looking beyond the 5 yard zone?

Mahdi
03-28-2013, 08:16 AM
I think Barkley can easily end up the best QB in the draft.

He is by no means flawless but he has some key qualities that I really like.

First he is very smart and he's a natural QB. By that I mean, he just looks the part, and his throwing motion and mechanics look so easy for him. He doesn't need to force things. There are some QBs that are just more natural than others and Barkley IMO is one of them.

Second, I love his redzone accuracy. He throws amazing fades and his ball location on his throws is elite. He knows how to score TD in tight which is a huge skill.

Third, he may not have a gun, but on his deep throws 30-40 yards, he places the ball very nicely where only his receivers can go get it. Again, that speaks to his very natural ability to play QB.

Fourth, I think he was pressured a lot in his senior year. Of course losing Matt Kalil didn't help him and that certainly rushed a lot of his throws. Despite that though I thought he did well making plays in the pocket when having to slide.

Overall, I think Barkley is a lot like Matt Ryan in terms of skill set and prospects. People also questioned Matt Ryan's decision making skills as he threw 19 INTs in his senior year although he also threw 31 TDs. In fact these two guys are almost identical for me.

For the kind of offense Marrone runs, I would be very happy with Barkley at 8.

Mr. Miyagi
03-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Credibility lost.
You wouldn't rather have Russell Wilson than half the starting QBs in the league right now? I would.

Mr. Miyagi
03-28-2013, 08:20 AM
I worry that Barlkey could be the next Jimmy Clausen. Lots of hoopla about him going into and throughout college but just does not have it to make it as a pro.
I'm thinking he's more like Colt McCoy than Claussen.

Bill Cody
03-28-2013, 08:21 AM
I hope AZ takes him

better days
03-28-2013, 08:28 AM
I think Barkley can easily end up the best QB in the draft.

He is by no means flawless but he has some key qualities that I really like.

First he is very smart and he's a natural QB. By that I mean, he just looks the part, and his throwing motion and mechanics look so easy for him. He doesn't need to force things. There are some QBs that are just more natural than others and Barkley IMO is one of them.

Second, I love his redzone accuracy. He throws amazing fades and his ball location on his throws is elite. He knows how to score TD in tight which is a huge skill.

Third, he may not have a gun, but on his deep throws 30-40 yards, he places the ball very nicely where only his receivers can go get it. Again, that speaks to his very natural ability to play QB.

Fourth, I think he was pressured a lot in his senior year. Of course losing Matt Kalil didn't help him and that certainly rushed a lot of his throws. Despite that though I thought he did well making plays in the pocket when having to slide.

Overall, I think Barkley is a lot like Matt Ryan in terms of skill set and prospects. People also questioned Matt Ryan's decision making skills as he threw 19 INTs in his senior year although he also threw 31 TDs. In fact these two guys are almost identical for me.

For the kind of offense Marrone runs, I would be very happy with Barkley at 8.

First & formost about Barkley is the fact he played with an underinflated football at USC. The NFL football is more fat in diameter than the college football. Good luck with that.

In all the games I watched Barkley play, I was never impressed by him. I doubt he will be as good as Trent Edwards.

The King
03-28-2013, 09:12 AM
NFL Films Greg Cosell considers Barkley 4th round talent...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/28/cosell-sees-barkley-as-a-fourth-round-talent/

“In the NFL, you’ve got to be able to make throws,” Cosell said. “Often in difficult situations against very challenging defenses.”
Cosell said that Barkley has an average arm at best, and that he’s not particularly athletic in and around the pocket.

While Cosell acknowledged that Barkley could still be a first-round pick, Cosell said, “I think there are too many limitations.”

jwenger
03-28-2013, 11:13 AM
I want to see Manuel at #8. He has all the tools as well as the intangible
called leadership and being a winner with a 27 - 7 record. I think he will
blossom in the NFL like Kaepernick and Russell Wilson. It would be a mistake
to pass on him and see him starring for another team. Big mistake