PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Barkley stat... deep throws

X-Era
03-27-2013, 04:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/55052/dont-discount-matt-barkley-on-deep-throws

"Since the start of the 2011 season, Barkley threw 24 touchdowns and only two interceptions on passes 20 yards or longer (in 120 attempts). When Barkley missed his receivers on those deep passes, he was four times more likely to overthrow his target than underthrow.

Throws 20+ Yards Downfield
Final Two College Seasons

<tbody>

Comp pct.
TD-Int.

Andrew Luck
13-5

Matt Barkley
24-2

Robert Griffin III
33-5

</tbody>

In fact, Barkley put up comparable numbers to what Luck and Griffin III did on passes of 20 yards or longer in their final two seasons.

And, Barkley’s completion percentage actually improved on throws of this distance from 2011 (39.7 percent) to 2012 (42.3)."

------------------------------------------

Personally, I think he's a late 1st rounder. But he will go top 15 IMO. And he could be there at 8.

I didn't know this about his long throws. That would be very refreshing over the extremely horrible long throws by Fitz that were never on target.

As I've said before, I'm fine with either Smith or Barkley at 8 and possibly even Wilson or Nassib though I'd rather trade down for either of the last two.

better days
03-27-2013, 04:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/55052/dont-discount-matt-barkley-on-deep-throws

"Since the start of the 2011 season, Barkley threw 24 touchdowns and only two interceptions on passes 20 yards or longer (in 120 attempts). When Barkley missed his receivers on those deep passes, he was four times more likely to overthrow his target than underthrow.

<tbody>

Comp pct.

TD-Int.

Andrew Luck

13-5

Matt Barkley

24-2

Robert Griffin III

33-5

</tbody>

In fact, Barkley put up comparable numbers to what Luck and Griffin III did on passes of 20 yards or longer in their final two seasons.

And, Barkley’s completion percentage actually improved on throws of this distance from 2011 (39.7 percent) to 2012 (42.3)."

Personally, I think he's a late 1st rounder. But he will go top 15 IMO. And he could be there at 8.

I didn't know this about his long throws. That would be very refreshing over the extremely horrible long throws by Fitz that were never on target.

As I've said before, I'm fine with either Smith or Barkley at 8 and possibly even Wilson or Nassib though I'd rather trade down for either of the last two.

Well, I doubt in the NFL, Barkley will be allowed to play with under inflated footballs as he did at USC.......................................unless he is drafted by the Pats*.

Ingtar33
03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
not to mention he won't have the 2 best players on the field at wr...

its easy to put up silly numbers at qb with great wrs covering for you all day every day.

swiper
03-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Nix, Whaley, and Marrone are looking at these guys close up. Gotta wait about a month to find out.

BillsFever21
03-27-2013, 05:04 PM

<tbody>

Comp pct.
TD-Int.

Andrew Luck
13-5

Matt Barkley
24-2

Robert Griffin III
33-5

</tbody>

I don't buy into arm strength on deep throws that much. It's all about the zip that you are able to get on the balls with arm strength. When it comes to deep throws accuracy is the biggest asset you can have. You can have the strongest arm ever but if you don't have any touch or accuracy with the deep throw then it's useless.

Just about any QB has enough arm strength to throw the ball deep. It's all about how accurate they can throw it. It's not like teams are running 50+ yard routes on a regular basis and almost any QB can throw it 50 yards.

Unless he blows away scouts leading up to the draft then he will probably be available at #8. If he wasn't then there is no way Wilson or Nassib should/will go in the Top 10. If any other QB went in that slot it would probably be EJ Manuel. You're looking at the later first round at best for Nassib and Wilson will still be sitting there in the 2nd round when we draft. There isn't any chance Wilson will be going that high especially with his injury concerns. The only way Nassib goes in or around the Top 10 is if Buffalo feels they must have him because Marrone coached him at Syracuse.

X-Era
03-27-2013, 05:17 PM

its easy to put up silly numbers at qb with great wrs covering for you all day every day.You're sure Robert Woods isn't a 2nd round option for us? I'm not.

X-Era
03-27-2013, 05:20 PM
I don't buy into arm strength on deep throws that much. It's all about the zip that you are able to get on the balls with arm strength. When it comes to deep throws accuracy is the biggest asset you can have. You can have the strongest arm ever but if you don't have any touch or accuracy with the deep throw then it's useless.

Just about any QB has enough arm strength to throw the ball deep. It's all about how accurate they can throw it. It's not like teams are running 50+ yard routes on a regular basis and almost any QB can throw it 50 yards.

Unless he blows away scouts leading up to the draft then he will probably be available at #8. If he wasn't then there is no way Wilson or Nassib should/will go in the Top 10. If any other QB went in that slot it would probably be EJ Manuel. You're looking at the later first round at best for Nassib and Wilson will still be sitting there in the 2nd round when we draft. There isn't any chance Wilson will be going that high especially with his injury concerns. The only way Nassib goes in or around the Top 10 is if Buffalo feels they must have him because Marrone coached him at Syracuse.
Wow. I'm not so sure about that.

The position is coveted. And just because some fans will scream "reach" doesn't mean it won't happen.

I'll bet you 10K ZB's that either Wilson or Nassib goes in the 1st round.

OpIv37
03-27-2013, 05:52 PM

its easy to put up silly numbers at qb with great wrs covering for you all day every day.

And don't forget sub-par competition for 75% of the games

cookie G
03-27-2013, 06:08 PM
You're sure Robert Woods isn't a 2nd round option for us? I'm not.

I'd like him to be. Actually, there should be a number of very good receivers falling to the 2nd.

BillsFever21
03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Wow. I'm not so sure about that.

The position is coveted. And just because some fans will scream "reach" doesn't mean it won't happen.

I'll bet you 10K ZB's that either Wilson or Nassib goes in the 1st round.

There is a big difference from the #8 pick in the draft as opposed to the first round altogether when it comes to QB's. I even clearly said that there is a good chance that Nassib will go towards the end of the first round. You said you would be willing to take any of the 4 with the #8 pick in the draft. Even in the better QB prospect years four of them in the Top 8 was a stretch.

I wouldn't doubt if one of them does go in the 1st round but I doubt it will be the Top 10 unless a team really likes one of them. Especially with Wilson and his concussion issues. Unless somebody really falls in love with him he won't be drafted that high with having concussion issues this young in his career.

X-Era
03-27-2013, 06:20 PM
I'd like him to be. Actually, there should be a number of very good receivers falling to the 2nd.
Woods is more consistent and more likely to be a very good WR than Hunter IMO. But Hunter has much better upside due to his incredible athleticism.

X-Era
03-27-2013, 06:25 PM
There is a big difference from the #8 pick in the draft as opposed to the first round altogether when it comes to QB's. I even clearly said that there is a good chance that Nassib will go towards the end of the first round. You said you would be willing to take any of the 4 with the #8 pick in the draft. Even in the better QB prospect years four of them in the Top 8 was a stretch.

I wouldn't doubt if one of them does go in the 1st round but I doubt it will be the Top 10 unless a team really likes one of them. Especially with Wilson and his concussion issues. Unless somebody really falls in love with him he won't be drafted that high with having concussion issues this young in his career.

The issue here is all about strategy.

The same teams that might take a QB before us in round 1 are there in round 2. That means if teams don't address it in round 1 they can still take one of the top 4 before us in round 2.

Which puts the Bills in a situation where they know they have to take one prior to these teams in the 2nd round if they want one of the top 4.

I've said it time and time again. None of these prospects inherently deserves to be picked by the 8th pick. But half easily could be because of the need at the position, lack of numbers as far as draftable prospects, and the layout of the draft order vs. who needs QB's.

Drafting any QB at 8 is a reach if you go strictly by ranking. But drafting a QB at 8 may be the only choice for getting one of the top 3 or 4.

Look, you and I and many others can sit here and claim that none belong at 8 or that #3 and #4 dont belong at 8 and we would be right. And then we can all sit here and say "wow that's a reach" when it happens.

Or, we can look at whats likely in this situation and realize that it's likely to happen.

Ultimately what's the point in claiming something shouldn't happen when it likely will? Just to say we didn't agree with it?

Fans don't determine what happens on draft day. And after many years of watching QB's get over-drafted it's a waste of time to claim it won't happen. Or even to try to convince ourselves that it won't.

Why not just accept the data and realize that this is the reality when you're shopping for a QB from the early rounds in the draft.

And just to extend it a bit farther. Why not accept that we have to play the over-draft game to get a guy we (and usually several other teams) really like.

coastal
03-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Barkley and Manuel are the only QBs worth a **** in the top 5 at the position.

TacklingDummy
03-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Barkley and Manuel are the only QBs worth a **** in the top 5 at the position.

I've been wanting Barkely for 2 plus years.

He is the only QB in this draft worthy of the 8th pick.

coastal
03-27-2013, 07:39 PM
I've been wanting Barkely for 2 plus years.

He is the only QB in this draft worthy of the 8th pick.
In today's read option NFL, EJ Manuel makes a strong case for the selection... but I agree with you about Barkely.

the only thing that bothers me about him is whether or not he's a real leader or just a leader because of the position he plays.

madness
03-27-2013, 08:05 PM
In today's read option NFL, EJ Manuel makes a strong case for the selection... but I agree with you about Barkely.

the only thing that bothers me about him is whether or not he's a real leader or just a leader because of the position he plays.

He's been referred to many times as a natural born leader. He orchestrated USC's summer workouts and has been referred to as the glue that held the team (and the program for that matter) together after Carrol bolted. By far he has the best leadership qualities in the QB class... maybe the whole draft. Love the fact that he's been a starter for the past 8 straight years on top of all that.

coastal
03-27-2013, 08:07 PM
He's been referred to many times as a natural born leader. He orchestrated USC's summer workouts and has been referred to as the glue that held the team (and the program for that matter) together after Carrol bolted. By far he has the best leadership qualities in his class. Love the fact that he's been a starter for the past 8 straight years on top of all that.
Watch his interviews... There's something lacking there for me. Can't quite put my finger on it, maybe its a confidence issue... Maybe he knows he can't carry the team if needed... Just something.

OpIv37
03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
The issue here is all about strategy.

The same teams that might take a QB before us in round 1 are there in round 2. That means if teams don't address it in round 1 they can still take one of the top 4 before us in round 2.

Which puts the Bills in a situation where they know they have to take one prior to these teams in the 2nd round if they want one of the top 4.

I've said it time and time again. None of these prospects inherently deserves to be picked by the 8th pick. But half easily could be because of the need at the position, lack of numbers as far as draftable prospects, and the layout of the draft order vs. who needs QB's.

Drafting any QB at 8 is a reach if you go strictly by ranking. But drafting a QB at 8 may be the only choice for getting one of the top 3 or 4.

Look, you and I and many others can sit here and claim that none belong at 8 or that #3 and #4 dont belong at 8 and we would be right. And then we can all sit here and say "wow that's a reach" when it happens.

Or, we can look at whats likely in this situation and realize that it's likely to happen.

Ultimately what's the point in claiming something shouldn't happen when it likely will? Just to say we didn't agree with it?

Fans don't determine what happens on draft day. And after many years of watching QB's get over-drafted it's a waste of time to claim it won't happen. Or even to try to convince ourselves that it won't.

Why not just accept the data and realize that this is the reality when you're shopping for a QB from the early rounds in the draft.

And just to extend it a bit farther. Why not accept that we have to play the over-draft game to get a guy we (and usually several other teams) really like.

Why not accept the reality that the only reason we "really like" any of these guys is because we are desperate for a QB? None of these guys are anything special and the only reason we are considering them in the first round is because there are no other options for finding a QB.

It's taking all your life savings and betting it on one roll of roulette. Winning is unlikely but you are far better off if it happens. Lose, and you're in the hole for several years (at least) until you build it back up.

Taking any of these QB's at 8 is a gamble and an act of desperation.

ParanoidAndroid
03-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Those stats look good next to those two guys. Anybody got JP Losman's deep ball stats?

Mski
03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
for all the talk i hear about how "great" the recievers are around barkley, how come none of them are mentioned as sure fire top ten picks?

better days
03-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Why not accept the reality that the only reason we "really like" any of these guys is because we are desperate for a QB? None of these guys are anything special and the only reason we are considering them in the first round is because there are no other options for finding a QB.

It's taking all your life savings and betting it on one roll of roulette. Winning is unlikely but you are far better off if it happens. Lose, and you're in the hole for several years (at least) until you build it back up.

Taking any of these QB's at 8 is a gamble and an act of desperation.

More like taking the mortgage payment & betting it rather than the life savings. It is only ONE draft pick, unless they trade up which would be stupid IMO. ONE draft pick does NOT equate to a lifetime savings.

Mahdi
03-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Well, I doubt in the NFL, Barkley will be allowed to play with under inflated footballs as he did at USC.......................................unless he is drafted by the Pats*.

Don't know what this underinflated thing is about but Barkley has 10 1/2 hands. Which is among the biggest of the top QBs.

better days
03-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Don't know what this underinflated thing is about but Barkley has 10 1/2 hands. Which is among the biggest of the top QBs.

Google; Barkley underinflated football & you will find out what it is about. USC illegally used UNDER INFLATED footballs & were caught doing so last year.