Barkley at 8, Trading for Flynn, Kolb, Palmer......seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Barkley at 8, Trading for Flynn, Kolb, Palmer......seriously?

This board has lost its' collective mind. The desperation for a QB has led to insanity.

Does anyone REALLY think that any of these moves would solve our QB problems? Flynn is a back-up who had a handful of decent starts. Rob Johnson anyone? We only have 6 draft picks and we'd have to give one up to get him, assuming Seattle is even willing to part with him.

Palmer is talented but well past his prime. At this point, he's a carbon copy of Fitz.

Kolb flat out sucks. Az ditched him presumably so they can take Geno. Then, since we can't take Geno, we take the guy that AZ ditched in favor of Geno. Sure, that makes sense.

Barkley at 8? Well, I can't guarantee that it won't work, but it's a long shot at best. California QB's have not fared well in Buffalo. And USC QB's, with the exception of Palmer, haven't fared well in the NFL recently (Leinart, Sanchez, Cassell). IMO, they are so used to having so much more talent than the competition at USC that they can't hack it when they have to face top level competition every week in the parity situation that exists in today's NFL. And Barkley specifically is coming off a season where his numbers dropped before getting hurt. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I know, I know, what's the alternative? What's my solution if none of these guys are right? The sad thing is, I don't have one. We need to just accept the reality that the QB we want/need simply available right now. It sucks, but it's the way things are. The only wise thing to do at this point is use our 2nd round pick on the best QB left (hopefully Nassib or Wilson are still there) and hope for the best. It's a long shot, but smarter than Barkley, Flynn, Kolb or Palmer.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • jdaltroy5
    • Aug 2012

Re: Barkley at 8, Trading for Flynn, Kolb, Palmer......seriously?

My solution is Nassib at 8.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

We still need 2 QB's Brian, that's a huge issue, we can't go into the season assuming a guy who didnt get practice reps last year is a viable starter or back-up or whatever. So two moves are necessary, there will be more cuts and 100 more threads like this. The right move is signing a FA and drafting a QB but until both moves have been made this is what you're going to see.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Gibby
        • Jun 2006

OP, you should take up motivational speaking. I fel so motivated after reading your post.

Comment

• sukie
          Seriously?
          • Sep 2012

What about David Carr? or a 7th rounder for Clausen?

Comment

• Gibby
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by sukie View Post
            What about David Carr? or a 7th rounder for Clausen?
            Tim Couch perhaps?

Comment

• sukie
              Seriously?
              • Sep 2012

See? Solutions abound. No worries.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Palmer would be like how we went out and got Bledsoe a decade ago, to be honest.

Comment

• Gibby
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
                  Palmer would be like how we went out and got Bledsoe a decade ago, to be honest.
                  Yeah, that signing turned us into world beaters. . . . Oh, wait. . . .

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The King View Post
                    We still need 2 QB's Brian, that's a huge issue, we can't go into the season assuming a guy who didnt get practice reps last year is a viable starter or back-up or whatever. So two moves are necessary, there will be more cuts and 100 more threads like this. The right move is signing a FA and drafting a QB but until both moves have been made this is what you're going to see.
                    If that's what has to happen, fine, but we shouldn't even be entertaining they idea of a trade for someone like Flynn. We just don't have the draft picks to spare.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      If that's what has to happen, fine, but we shouldn't even be entertaining they idea of a trade for someone like Flynn. We just don't have the draft picks to spare.
                      IMO we can pretty much spare any and all picks after the first round.

I think Buddy has drafted one starter in rounds 2-7 in the last three years.

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

I would think Barkley is the only one anyone has touted as a solution. The others are seat-warmers, which is fine with me. Unless you get an Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning, I'd prefer to sit a rookie QB for a season.

We need some sort of numbers at the position, wherever they come from. I personally don't see a real solution in this draft.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

I put no stock into the history of the school he came from.

Flacco was a Blue Hen I believe. Also, one of the reasons Aaron Rodgers stock dropped was that he was perceived as a "Tedford effect" QB and wouldn't be as good in the NFL. Another angle is that he was a California QB and he handles the weather in GB just fine.

Every player needs to be evaluated on his own merit. I see a guy in Barkley who took a ton of snaps at USC, had a great JR. year and followed it up with a SR. year that was a drop-off but for different reasons.

The kid has talent, a good arm and he's smart.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                            I put no stock into the history of the school he came from.

Flacco was a Blue Hen I believe. Also, one of the reasons Aaron Rodgers stock dropped was that he was perceived as a "Tedford effect" QB and wouldn't be as good in the NFL. Another angle is that he was a California QB and he handles the weather in GB just fine.

Every player needs to be evaluated on his own merit. I see a guy in Barkley who took a ton of snaps at USC, had a great JR. year and followed it up with a SR. year that was a drop-off but for different reasons.

The kid has talent, a good arm and he's smart.
                            Flacco was a Pitt Panther too for what is worth.

What are the different reasons you say Barkley had a drop off?
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                              • Jul 2002

The solution is to be honest with the fans. Let us know that the team realizes that it will not be able to solve the QB problem this year and that the best thing for their long term goals is to start Tarvaris Jackson and let the chips fall where they may. Draft the best available players and continue to build, knowing that they can't adequately fill the QB spot this year and there are enough holes at other positions that will need to be filled no matter who the QB is.
                              Then, after not over-reaching for a QB in this draft, in 2014 promise us that the team will do everything possible to get a top QB, either a veteran or a rookie in for the 2014 season. Go big in free agency in 2014.
                              Will it help sell tickets & calm fans down in 2013? Hell, no! But I'd rather wait a year than set the team back by drafting a QB who will never justify his drafting in the 1st place. Like it or not, this team is a mess & will either have to be the luckiest team in the NFL & find the next Russell Wilson in the 2nd or 3rd round, or be really bad next year. They could have continued on the path to 5-8 wins by keeping Fitz, but instead they decided to blow it up. It's time to accept that when you blow it up, you have to rebuild from the foundation up.
                              Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X