X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjt328
    • May 2011

2014 QB Prospects

With all the debate over picking a QB this year, I thought this was an important thread to start.

Time and time again, I have seen the suggestion that we "wait for next year" because the 2014 class is loaded. In these same threads, I keep seeing the same two names pop up: Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville and Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M.

But here is the thing...

Teddy Bridgewater will be a junior next year. Johnny Manziel will be a sophomore. NEITHER ARE CERTAIN TO DECLARE FOR THE 2014 DRAFT!!!!.

In fact, over the last few years, it's become very RARE that an underclassman quarterback declares for the NFL draft... regardless of their speculated draft position (see Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley who were both slated to go very high as juniors). This year's QB class features only Tyler Bray coming out as a junior, and most thought he was making a mistake not sticking around another year.

If by chance, those two stay in school, the 2014 class starts looking like this: Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray, David Fales, AJ McCarron, Logan Thomas, Keith Price

Not quite as impressive, huh? Just something to think about...
    Last edited by mjt328; 03-28-2013, 12:59 PM.
    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
    Posted During the 2013 Draft
    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
    3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
    4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
    5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
    6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
    7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas
  • sukie
    Seriously?
    • Sep 2012

Re: 2014 QB Prospects

I think we take one NEXT YEAR AS WELL!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mjt328 View Post
      With all the debate over picking a QB this year, I thought this was an important thread to start.

Time and time again, I have seen the suggestion that we "wait for next year" because the 2014 class is loaded. In these same threads, I keep seeing the same two names pop up: Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville and Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M.

But here is the thing...

Teddy Bridgewater will be a junior next year. Johnny Manziel will be a sophomore. NEITHER ARE CERTAIN TO DECLARE FOR THE 2014 DRAFT!!!!.

In fact, over the last few years, it's become very RARE that an underclassman quarterback declares for the NFL draft... regardless of their speculated draft position (see Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley). This year's class features only Tyler Bray coming out as a junior, and most thought he was making a mistake not sticking around another year.

If by chance, those two stay in school, the 2014 class starts looking like this:
      Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray, David Fales, AJ McCarron, Logan Thomas, Keth Price

Just something to think about...
      Boyd, Murray, and Thomas top that list for me. And none are Luck.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Fales, and Bridgewater

I'd pass on everybody else.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          Fales, and Bridgewater

I like Bridgewater but will he declare?

Comment

• fluteflakes
            • Jan 2013

Bridgewater will most likely declare. Depends on how his season goes really. He loves playing for Coach Strong so I really don't think anybody can say.

Fales is #1 overall next year if Bridgewater doesn't declare. Other guys are Derek Carr, Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray. Murray is terrible, Boyd has upside, and if Carr plays to his potential next season he might challenge for the #1 pick, but it seems unlikely at this point.

It all depends on which underclassmen chose to come out. I think Brett Smith declares as well, no reason to stay at Wyoming considering they're terrible.
            Last edited by fluteflakes; 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

Johnny Football would be stupid to come out as a freakin' sophomore.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                Johnny Football would be stupid to come out as a freakin' sophomore.
                Unless he wins the Heisman & a championship, his sponsorship money would be incredible.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                  Unless he wins the Heisman & a championship, his sponsorship money would be incredible.
                  If he wins a Heisman and a NC, he's definitely ready to declare for the draft.

Comment

• Jaybird
                    • Dec 2005

Lets hope we find a solution this season. Someone in the draft will end up being a good if not great pro. we need to get THAT guy

Comment

• jwenger
                      snoopy the dog
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by mjt328 View Post

But here is the thing...

In fact, over the last few years, it's become very RARE that an underclassman quarterback declares for the NFL draft... regardless of their speculated draft position (see Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley who were both slated to go very high as juniors). This year's QB class features only Tyler Bray coming out as a junior, and most thought he was making a mistake not sticking around another year.

If by chance, those two stay in school, the 2014 class starts looking like this: Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray, David Fales, AJ McCarron, Logan Thomas, Keith Price

Not quite as impressive, huh? Just something to think about...

I think if we go 1-15 next year and get the 1st pick then both Bridgewater and Manziel will see that
                      and both duck back into school for another year. So what, STILL draft a QB in 2014 as well as 2013
                      We are SO far behind on drafting QB's it will take us 5 years to catch up

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

A QB named "Fales?"

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                          • Jun 2024

Originally posted by jwenger View Post
                          I think if we go 1-15 next year and get the 1st pick then both Bridgewater and Manziel will see that
                          and both duck back into school for another year. So what, STILL draft a QB in 2014 as well as 2013
                          We are SO far behind on drafting QB's it will take us 5 years to catch up
                          If they do, let's send them a card that says "we will be here again next year to draft you *****".

Comment

• Swiper
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                            Fales, and Bridgewater

Murray is better than people give him credit for. IDK why he is under-rated.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                              Murray is better than people give him credit for. IDK why he is under-rated.
                              Because he's not under rated. He's a Day 2 - Day 3 prospect.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X