PDA

View Full Version : 2014 QB Prospects

mjt328
03-28-2013, 12:58 PM
With all the debate over picking a QB this year, I thought this was an important thread to start.

Time and time again, I have seen the suggestion that we "wait for next year" because the 2014 class is loaded. In these same threads, I keep seeing the same two names pop up: Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville and Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M.

But here is the thing...

Teddy Bridgewater will be a junior next year. Johnny Manziel will be a sophomore. NEITHER ARE CERTAIN TO DECLARE FOR THE 2014 DRAFT!!!!.

In fact, over the last few years, it's become very RARE that an underclassman quarterback declares for the NFL draft... regardless of their speculated draft position (see Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley who were both slated to go very high as juniors). This year's QB class features only Tyler Bray coming out as a junior, and most thought he was making a mistake not sticking around another year.

If by chance, those two stay in school, the 2014 class starts looking like this: Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray, David Fales, AJ McCarron, Logan Thomas, Keith Price

Not quite as impressive, huh? Just something to think about...

sukie
03-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I think we take one NEXT YEAR AS WELL!!!!

X-Era
03-28-2013, 01:00 PM
With all the debate over picking a QB this year, I thought this was an important thread to start.

Time and time again, I have seen the suggestion that we "wait for next year" because the 2014 class is loaded. In these same threads, I keep seeing the same two names pop up: Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville and Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M.

But here is the thing...

Teddy Bridgewater will be a junior next year. Johnny Manziel will be a sophomore. NEITHER ARE CERTAIN TO DECLARE FOR THE 2014 DRAFT!!!!.

In fact, over the last few years, it's become very RARE that an underclassman quarterback declares for the NFL draft... regardless of their speculated draft position (see Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley). This year's class features only Tyler Bray coming out as a junior, and most thought he was making a mistake not sticking around another year.

If by chance, those two stay in school, the 2014 class starts looking like this:
Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray, David Fales, AJ McCarron, Logan Thomas, Keth Price

Just something to think about...
Boyd, Murray, and Thomas top that list for me. And none are Luck.

DraftBoy
03-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Fales, and Bridgewater

I'd pass on everybody else.

X-Era
03-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Fales, and Bridgewater

I like Bridgewater but will he declare?

fluteflakes
03-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Bridgewater will most likely declare. Depends on how his season goes really. He loves playing for Coach Strong so I really don't think anybody can say.

Fales is #1 overall next year if Bridgewater doesn't declare. Other guys are Derek Carr, Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray. Murray is terrible, Boyd has upside, and if Carr plays to his potential next season he might challenge for the #1 pick, but it seems unlikely at this point.

It all depends on which underclassmen chose to come out. I think Brett Smith declares as well, no reason to stay at Wyoming considering they're terrible.

feldspar
03-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Johnny Football would be stupid to come out as a freakin' sophomore.

Skooby
03-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Johnny Football would be stupid to come out as a freakin' sophomore.

Unless he wins the Heisman & a championship, his sponsorship money would be incredible.

Don't Panic
03-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Unless he wins the Heisman & a championship, his sponsorship money would be incredible.

If he wins a Heisman and a NC, he's definitely ready to declare for the draft.

Jaybird
03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Lets hope we find a solution this season. Someone in the draft will end up being a good if not great pro. we need to get THAT guy

jwenger
03-30-2013, 12:44 PM

But here is the thing...

In fact, over the last few years, it's become very RARE that an underclassman quarterback declares for the NFL draft... regardless of their speculated draft position (see Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley who were both slated to go very high as juniors). This year's QB class features only Tyler Bray coming out as a junior, and most thought he was making a mistake not sticking around another year.

If by chance, those two stay in school, the 2014 class starts looking like this: Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray, David Fales, AJ McCarron, Logan Thomas, Keith Price

Not quite as impressive, huh? Just something to think about...

I think if we go 1-15 next year and get the 1st pick then both Bridgewater and Manziel will see that
and both duck back into school for another year. So what, STILL draft a QB in 2014 as well as 2013
We are SO far behind on drafting QB's it will take us 5 years to catch up

Goobylal
03-30-2013, 01:00 PM
A QB named "Fales?"

SpikedLemonade
03-30-2013, 01:05 PM
I think if we go 1-15 next year and get the 1st pick then both Bridgewater and Manziel will see that
and both duck back into school for another year. So what, STILL draft a QB in 2014 as well as 2013
We are SO far behind on drafting QB's it will take us 5 years to catch up

If they do, let's send them a card that says "we will be here again next year to draft you *****".

swiper
03-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Fales, and Bridgewater

Murray is better than people give him credit for. IDK why he is under-rated.

DraftBoy
03-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Murray is better than people give him credit for. IDK why he is under-rated.

Because he's not under rated. He's a Day 2 - Day 3 prospect.

fluteflakes
03-30-2013, 04:12 PM
He's Ryan Aplin with a slightly better arm, IMO.

gonzo1105
03-30-2013, 04:18 PM
You've got draft eligible guys such as

QB Teddy Bridgewater Louisville
QB David Fales San Jose State
QB Johnny Manziel Texas A and M
QB Tahj Boyd Clemson
QB Logan Thomas Virginia Tech
QB Aaron Murray Georgia
QB A.J McCarron Alabama
QB Derek Carr Fresno State

Thats a hell of a lot better of a class then this years class.

fluteflakes
03-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Will people stop putting Logan Thomas on their lists.

He grades out as a TE, he's a terrible QB. He'd have to take a huge step next season to even be considered draftable.

mjt328
03-30-2013, 06:14 PM
You've got draft eligible guys such as

QB Teddy Bridgewater Louisville
QB David Fales San Jose State
QB Johnny Manziel Texas A and M
QB Tahj Boyd Clemson
QB Logan Thomas Virginia Tech
QB Aaron Murray Georgia
QB A.J McCarron Alabama
QB Derek Carr Fresno State

Thats a hell of a lot better of a class then this years class.

But the point of my post is...will all those guys declare?

What if Manziel and Bridgewater stay? How many of those other guys would you take over Geno or Barkley?
And say we draft in the 5-10 range again... so we get the 2nd or 3rd guy on that list.

gonzo1105
03-30-2013, 09:10 PM
But the point of my post is...will all those guys declare?

What if Manziel and Bridgewater stay? How many of those other guys would you take over Geno or Barkley?
And say we draft in the 5-10 range again... so we get the 2nd or 3rd guy on that list.

Bridgewater is going to enter..He goes to Louisville and he will be a top 5 pick. Hes gonna come out. Manziel might not but Fales is a Senior, Murray is a SR, Thomas is a SR, Boyd is a SR, Derek Carr is a SR,

Out of the ones that come out I'd take Bridgewater, Fales, Boyd, and Carr over Geno or Barkley. Carr will get **** because David was his brother and he bombed but you can't really take that into consideration.