PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo gets 6 year extension with $55 million guaranteed

IlluminatusUIUC
03-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Jerrah dun lost his mind!

http://deadspin.com/tony-romo-gets-all-the-money-463092277

YardRat
03-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Hell, if an average-above average guard is worth 8mil, than an average-above average QB has got to be worth 17.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Hell, if an average-above average guard is worth 8mil, than an average-above average QB has got to be worth 17.

Levitre is 26, Romo is 33 next month. Levitre is entering his physical prime, Romo is already past it and they no have him signed through 40 years old.

BillsFever21
03-29-2013, 05:15 PM
That's just insane giving Romo 55 million in guaranteed money. He is a 32 year old QB that is an accident waiting to happen. He puts up pretty numbers but he will never be clutch and they will never see a SB with him at QB. If he has choked in the big moments up till now then nothing is going to suddenly change at 32 years old and 33 years old when the season starts.

Christ if he got 55 million in guaranteed money then Rodgers should easily break the 60 million dollar mark. Even with how bad this contract is it's hard to say which one is worse between his and Mario Williams 50 million in guaranteed money. At least Romo is a QB and not a DE. Romo isn't awful and he helps keep you in the playoff hunt but he ends up choking when the playoffs are on the line or in the playoff game when they do make it.

BillsFever21
03-29-2013, 05:22 PM
If i was the Cowboys I would've drafted a QB this year to be his replacement after next season if the price tag was going to be that much money. They were in a perfect draft position to grab a QB in the #18 slot. It's right outside the middle of the draft where most of them should be taken. They even could've waited until the second round to see what was left over and decide then.

Either way there isn't a chance in hell I'd give a 33 year old QB like him 55 million in guaranteed money whether it meant losing him or not. If they had to they could've always drafted one in 2014 to take his place. They are usually around an 8 win team with him and nothing is going to change. Their coaching and roster isn't good enough where they could make a SB run even if he didn't throw the INT with the season on the line every year.

Night Train
03-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Nice to know Dallas will stay around .500 for years to come.

feldspar
03-29-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm not really a huge Romo fan, but the Cowboys could do a lot worse FOR A LONG TIME, as we've seen. I guess they did what they felt they had to to keep him, but that contract is way overboard too. All that guaranteed money...sheesh.

Who here wants to see the Cowboys do well, anyway?

IlluminatusUIUC
03-29-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm not really a huge Romo fan, but the Cowboys could do a lot worse FOR A LONG TIME, as we've seen. I guess they did what they felt they had to to keep him, but that contract is way overboard too. All that guaranteed money...sheesh.

Who here wants to see the Cowboys do well, anyway?

No one wants the Cowboys to do well, but giving Romo that kind of absurd money is making the QB market insane. At least Flacco had one of the best postseasons ever before he got his contract and is still on the right side of 30. Tony Romo got MORE. At this rate, what does Rodgers get? Matt Ryan? Green Bay and Atlanta are furious at this deal.

gr8slayer
03-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Not a fan, but the organization could do a lot worse. Sadly, it's a move that had to happen, as the Cowboys were down to roughly $100,000 in cap space. Even now, the move only clears up about $5 million in cap space, so they'll have no choice but to sign Spencer to a long-term deal to clear up even more space. That penalty that the league hit the Redskins and Cowboys with really threw everything off. Either way, the deal is basically a 3 year, $55 million deal. That's about the going rate for a top 10-15 QB.

BillsFever21
03-29-2013, 06:23 PM
No one wants the Cowboys to do well, but giving Romo that kind of absurd money is making the QB market insane. At least Flacco had one of the best postseasons ever before he got his contract and is still on the right side of 30. Tony Romo got MORE. At this rate, what does Rodgers get? Matt Ryan? Green Bay and Atlanta are furious at this deal.

This is one of the unintended consequences of the new CBA that all the veterans thought would get them more money after they implemented the rookie wage scale(which was a good choice) a couple years ago. It sounded good when it was implemented but the money isn't being divided up like they had hoped.

Now that the teams have more money to spend outside of paying their rookies most of the money is going to the QB's or the top players in the sport as they are demanding more money and it's the most important position. The veteran positional players are having a much harder time getting the money they thought they would or even what was given out a couple years ago. If you're on the wrong side of 30 it's twice as difficult now since the teams can bring in a younger guy or pick up a rookie in the draft to fill your spot for next to nothing in NFL dollars.

With the money that the top level guys and especially QB's are now getting they almost have no choice. There will be a lot of 30+ year old veterans that are going to have trouble finding a job anymore on leadership and experience alone until they accept the fact that they're going to be taking a huge paycut from what they were previously making and much less then they thought they were going to get.

BillsFever21
03-29-2013, 06:27 PM
I can see Aaron Roders getting around 135 million over six years with around 60+ million of it being guaranteed. If Flacco got 120 million with 52 million guaranteed and Romo just got 55 million guaranteed that what do you think Rodgers is going to want now? Especially if all he cares about is every last dollar. He will easily get around 60 million or more in guaranteed money.

gr8slayer
03-29-2013, 06:31 PM
I can see Aaron Roders getting around 135 million over six years with around 60+ million of it being guaranteed. If Flacco got 120 million with 52 million guaranteed and Romo just got 55 million guaranteed that what do you think Rodgers is going to want now? Especially if all he cares about is every last dollar. He will easily get around 60 million or more in guaranteed money.

Comparatively, if he doesn't get at least $60 million, it will be a crime. I think it's a given at this point that he will easily be the highest paid player in history, what I'm curious to see is what guys like Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford get.

Downinfloflo
03-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Dallas went threw 14 QB's before Romo.

He's worth every penny to that franchise.

Mski
03-29-2013, 06:51 PM
i think once the new TV revenue kicks in, and the salary cap nearly doubles [next year?] this will be a drop in the bucket compared to the deals that will be signed to guys like rogers, ryan, keap, wilson, rg3, luck

Generalissimus Gibby
03-30-2013, 01:38 PM

I'd laugh, but I remember us doing similar with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Homo has gotten his team to the playoffs and even won a playoff game. Don't get me wrong, I think Romo is vastly overrated and isn't worth the cost. Of course, I can't think of a single reason why any NFL player should get the type of salary that they enjoy.

mrbojanglezs
03-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Thats a terrible deal, Romo is overrated

better days
03-30-2013, 05:06 PM
i think once the new TV revenue kicks in, and the salary cap nearly doubles [next year?] this will be a drop in the bucket compared to the deals that will be signed to guys like rogers, ryan, keap, wilson, rg3, luck

I have heard speculation that Directv will not pay for exclusive rights to the Sunday Ticket in their next contract. If that is so the money will not go as high as you think.

better days
03-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Not a fan, but the organization could do a lot worse. Sadly, it's a move that had to happen, as the Cowboys were down to roughly $100,000 in cap space. Even now, the move only clears up about $5 million in cap space, so they'll have no choice but to sign Spencer to a long-term deal to clear up even more space. That penalty that the league hit the Redskins and Cowboys with really threw everything off. Either way, the deal is basically a 3 year, $55 million deal. That's about the going rate for a top 10-15 QB.

The Cowboys were forced to pay Romo that money because like the Jets with Revis they were STUPID & put a non franchise tag in his last contract. So they had to pay him or lose him after this year like the Jets will do with Revis.

gr8slayer
03-30-2013, 06:53 PM
The Cowboys were forced to pay Romo that money because like the Jets with Revis they were STUPID & put a non franchise tag in his last contract. So they had to pay him or lose him after this year like the Jets will do with Revis.

Even if they could have franchised him next year, they had no choice but to sign both he and Spencer to clear up cap space for mid-level FA's and draft picks. Jerry Jones is infatuated with Tony Romo, the guy sells too many jerseys, and is too big of a star in the eyes of the fan base to let him go. He also truly believes that the Cowboys are a Super Bowl team right now, and a huge part of that (in his eyes) is Romo. If you as a GM think that you're a contender, you'd be stupid to let your franchise QB walk, no matter what we as fans think.

better days
03-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Even if they could have franchised him next year, they had no choice but to sign both he and Spencer to clear up cap space for mid-level FA's and draft picks. Jerry Jones is infatuated with Tony Romo, the guy sells too many jerseys, and is too big of a star in the eyes of the fan base to let him go. He also truly believes that the Cowboys are a Super Bowl team right now, and a huge part of that (in his eyes) is Romo. If you as a GM think that you're a contender, you'd be stupid to let your franchise QB walk, no matter what we as fans think.

BUT, if the Cowboys had the THREAT of using the franchise tag, they could have probably signed him to a contract more favorable to the team. Without the threat of the tag, the Cowboys had NO leverage in that negotiation.

gr8slayer
03-30-2013, 07:32 PM
BUT, if the Cowboys had the THREAT of using the franchise tag, they could have probably signed him to a contract more favorable to the team. Without the threat of the tag, the Cowboys had NO leverage in that negotiation.

I get where you're coming from, but they didn't get taken to town or anything. The contract he got was fair for what he is, and he would have gotten more had he hit the open market. Stafford, Ryan, and Rodgers are about to surpass him by a mile, financially.

better days
03-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Stafford, Ryan, and Rodgers are about to surpass him by a mile, financially.

As they SHOULD. IMO. But I'm just not a fan of Romo myself.

gr8slayer
03-30-2013, 08:26 PM
As they SHOULD. IMO. But I'm just not a fan of Romo myself.

Absolutely, all are better QB's than Romo.

TacklingDummy
03-30-2013, 08:53 PM

JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Kelly Holcomb, Ryan Fitzpatrick...do you want me to keep going?

I wish we had a QB as bad as Romo.

trapezeus
04-01-2013, 07:35 AM
my thoughts:

1. romo isn't worth it, but perhaps the cowboys are following the jets. make romo feel good and if the 1st rd qb's are dropping this year, grab one and "develop" him slowly. You remind romo/sanchez that you have no intention of not having romo your starter because of the contract, and if he is failing in the season and there is a fan revolt, you sit romo and go with young hand. It'd be fitting cause that's how romo got into this gig in the first place.

2. romo is probably servicable that hte above plan is probably good. he can be inconsistent and annoying, but he can keep you in the hunt until week 10. if the team needs a big change, enter the rookie.

3. despite my distaste for romo, i think maybe this year he's take the team to new highs, get into the playoffs, get the team to the superbowl....then he will epicly choke in the big game. and for cowboy fans they'll take that as proof that he's good and can do it again (he won't come close) and for the rest of us it will be the hilarious cherry on top of an otherwise overhyped career that never amounted to much past "he dated jessica simpson when she was hot".

Historian
04-01-2013, 08:05 AM
JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Kelly Holcomb, Ryan Fitzpatrick...do you want me to keep going?

This is a fair point....to an extent.

I was never a Romo fan, but if you look at the teams that have QB issues, or at best, have journeymen leading their team, then Jones' contract offer kind of makes sense. He's 'their' guy.

Just goes to show you how bad the QB market is.

better days
04-01-2013, 09:19 AM
This is a fair point....to an extent.

I was never a Romo fan, but if you look at the teams that have QB issues, or at best, have journeymen leading their team, then Jones' contract offer kind of makes sense. He's 'their' guy.

Just goes to show you how bad the QB market is.

IMO Romo is maybe a step up from journeyman, but not even two steps up. If Jerry did not LOVE him, he would probably be playing on another team already after the blunders he has made in BIG games in Dallas & would be classified as a journeyman.

I just hope this contract comes back to bite Jerry & the Cowboys in the ass in a few years.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-01-2013, 10:00 AM
I get where you're coming from, but they didn't get taken to town or anything. The contract he got was fair for what he is, and he would have gotten more had he hit the open market. Stafford, Ryan, and Rodgers are about to surpass him by a mile, financially.

They will surpass him by a mile, but what do all three of those guys have in common that Romo doesn't? They are all in or entering their physical peaks, Romo is already past it. He turns 33 this month, many many QBs have fallen off a cliff after they reached that point. To name one example, Donovan McNabb appeared in the Pro Bowl at 33, by 35 he was a washed up journeyman on this third team and by 36 he was out of the league. Steve McNair is another example - great at 33, out of the league by 35.

If Romo was 4-5 years younger I could defend this deal, but otherwise it is absurd.

Not at that age, and not at that price I don't.