If the Bills Were to Draft a QB at #8, How Many Years Must They Commit to Him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

If the Bills Were to Draft a QB at #8, How Many Years Must They Commit to Him?

To me it is not about value at the draft position. The Bills have no idea what value means.

The issue to me is whether they are prepared to cut bait on a #8 overall drafted QB after even as short as one year if he shows no signs of being a franchise QB. Do we have management that feels secure enough to admitting they made a mistake?

In other words, if we end up wasting a #8 overall pick this year on a QB is of less concern to me then wasting 3 years stubbornly sticking to a QB we drafted so highly.

I am all for drafting a QB in the 1st round this year and again in the 1st round next year.

Just keep investing into the QB position until we get it right.

The rest will follow.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: If the Bills Were to Draft a QB at #8, How Many Years Must They Commit to Him?

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    To me it is not about value at the draft position. The Bills have no idea what value means.

The issue to me is whether they are prepared to cut bait on a #8 overall drafted QB after even as short as one year if he shows no signs of being a franchise QB. Do we have management that feels secure enough to admitting they made a mistake?

In other words, if we end up wasting a #8 overall pick this year on a QB is of less concern to me then wasting 3 years stubbornly sticking to a QB we drafted so highly.

I am all for drafting a QB in the 1st round this year and again in the 1st round next year.

The rest will follow.
    Due to the new rookie salary cap it's cheaper than ever before to draft a QB in the 1st. We could cut a player and not lose as much as before or simply keep him for depth since it's relatively inexpensive compared to starting QB rates.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Re: If the Bills Were to Draft a QB at #8, How Many Years Must They Commit to Him?

The rest will follow.
      I am with you about investing in the position until we get a GOOD one.

IMO, the position should not be handed to anyone even the #8 pick. No matter who wins the COMPETITION this year, there should be COMPETITION every year until it is clear the guy starting is a FRANCHISE QB.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
        Due to the new rookie salary cap it's cheaper than ever before to draft a QB in the 1st. We could cut a player and not lose as much as before or simply keep him for depth since it's relatively inexpensive compared to starting QB rates.
        Thank you.

I know that.

What I don't know is whether our cheap chicken **** inferior management has the balls to say "hey we just screwed up" and be willing to move on by drafting another QB with their first pick.

I wish I thought they would be able to do that.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
          • Jun 2024

Originally posted by better days View Post
          I am with you about investing in the position until we get a GOOD one.

IMO, the position should not be handed to anyone even the #8 pick. No matter who wins the COMPETITION this year, there should be COMPETITION every year until it is clear the guy starting is a FRANCHISE QB.
          Buddy, there really never is a true QB competition even though there should be.

Usually, management has invested in a highly drafted QB and will stick with him until the end of their regime.

Seattle last year may be the exception to the rule.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Just like any position, if a perceived upgrade is available you get it. Will this FO act accordingly? Probably not...
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
              So tired of this terrible logic.

That strategy still costs us a good player with the #8 pick. A big reason why this team has been so bad for so long is poor drafting in the early rounds. Wasting a #8 pick sets the team back even if it costs 0 against the cap.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Buddy, there really never is a true QB competition even though there should be.

Usually, management has invested in a highly drafted QB and will stick with him until the end of their regime.

Seattle last year may be the exception to the rule.
                In every case, the higer paid / higher drafted player gets the edge in a close competition. If one guy clearly seperates himself however, I think any HC will give him that job because the job of the HC is to win games. Even if that guy is a 3rd rnd draft pick.

Comment

• The Toe Show
                  Perfect Toes Everytime!
                  • Sep 2012

No more waiting.

How many more underrated QBs are we going to let pass-by? We're like wallflowers waiting for the perfect woman to reveal herself to us... but every playa knows it's a numbers game.

There's no commitment bro, they should draft two this year. Just like the Redskins. Even with Cousins as second-banana, his value is exploding simply by showing flashes of competence - luring in doofus organizations like ours to spend double the value to acquire him.

The Bills should take a QB at 8 and repeat in the 3rd or 4th round.

We have to stop over-thinking this one.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

That strategy still costs us a good player with the #8 pick. A big reason why this team has been so bad for so long is poor drafting in the early rounds. Wasting a #8 pick sets the team back even if it costs 0 against the cap.
                    Using your logic, the Bills should draft a QB this year because they have not drafted one in the early rounds for a long time & have still drafted poorly. They are just as likely to hit on a QB as any other position because they don't hit on those either.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The Toe Show View Post
                      No more waiting.

How many more underrated QBs are we going to let pass-by? We're like wallflowers waiting for the perfect woman to reveal herself to us... but every playa knows it's a numbers game.

There's no commitment bro, they should draft two this year. Just like the Redskins. Even with Cousins as second-banana, his value is exploding simply by showing flashes of competence - luring in doofus organizations like ours to spend double the value to acquire him.

The Bills should take a QB at 8 and repeat in the 3rd or 4th round.

We have to stop over-thinking this one.
                      First, you want to model what the Bills do after the Redskins? Over the last 13 years or so, they have been barely better than the Bills.

Second, just because QB's were underrated in the past doesn't automatically mean the QB's in this draft are underrated too. The only way we find that guy is with better scouting, and there is no reason to believe we will get it with Nix.

Third, we have holes at QB, WR, OG, LB and CB, and six draft picks. The team ism doing nothing in FA. The lack of OG's and WR's will hold any QB back. Drafting two QB's all but assures glaring holes in the team.

It would be a straight up desperation move. Some of you are letting the desperation for a QB cloud your judgment.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                        Using your logic, the Bills should draft a QB this year because they have not drafted one in the early rounds for a long time & have still drafted poorly. They are just as likely to hit on a QB as any other position because they don't hit on those either.
                        They do sometimes- see Spiller.

We've had this argument before, though, and yet you continue to advocate a strategy that will do nothing but set this team back another 3 years. Hopefully the 2016 QB class is better than this one because we're headed for another 3 years of failure followed by another house cleaning if we waste the #8 on a QB.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Any player we draft and doesn't pan out is a waste. The position doesn't matter.

I simply answered the original question. I'm not saying we should waste picks.

The main issue you and others have is where these QB's will get drafted versus where they should be drafted.

And I really don't know what to tell you. It is what it is. I'm not willing to just have the Bills ignore the way the QB's get over-drafted and only draft one if it's the BPA. We will likely never get one that way.

It's just the way it is.

Comment

• Gibby
                            • Jun 2006

The rest will follow.
                            We give the kid three years. He takes every snap and we keep the same system around him if at all possible. If he starts faltering we do not take him out because he has to learn from his mistakes to evolve. Naturally, however, I expect continued performance from years one to three. As much as I did not like JP or Trent, I will say that part of their problem was that during their learning curve we constantly switched coaches on them and gave up on them when they struggled a bit. Yes, I know that JP was a turn over machine and Trent was a noodle armer like fitz but we ruined any development potential he may have had. Face it, year one Geno, Nassib, EJ, or anyone else is going to stink and make mistakes. Year two they will also make mistakes but should make much fewer than year one. By year three they should be able to prove themselves.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

First, you want to model what the Bills do after the Redskins? Over the last 13 years or so, they have been barely better than the Bills.

Second, just because QB's were underrated in the past doesn't automatically mean the QB's in this draft are underrated too. The only way we find that guy is with better scouting, and there is no reason to believe we will get it with Nix.

Third, we have holes at QB, WR, OG, LB and CB, and six draft picks. The team ism doing nothing in FA. The lack of OG's and WR's will hold any QB back. Drafting two QB's all but assures glaring holes in the team.

It would be a straight up desperation move. Some of you are letting the desperation for a QB cloud your judgment.
                              You fail to mention that the Bills made most of these holes through poor planning.

I think the biggest flaw "the value" draftniks possess is that they are attempting to play sophisticated chess when the Bills are playing Special Olympics Checkers.

Maximizing value of a specific position should only be played by chess masters.

Breaking News -- The Bills are not that.

Comment

Working...
                              X