PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR Kolb/Bills finalizing deal tonight

SquishDaFish
03-30-2013, 05:46 PM
<s>@</s>AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter): Bills & QB Kevin Kolb finalizing a deal tonight that will give Buffalo one more starting-caliber QB.”

better days
03-30-2013, 05:50 PM
I think this is great news. If this gets done, the Bills have much more flexibility about drafting a QB. And yes I know Kolb FAILED in Arizona, but I have been told by Op & others that it is too big a gamble to draft any QB this year, let alone at #8.

I would still like to see a QB at #8 myself however.

SquishDaFish
03-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Pro Football Focus ‏<s>@</s>PFF (https://twitter.com/PFF) <small class="time"> 2m (https://twitter.com/PFF/status/318138900449206272) </small> Kevin Kolb was playing really quite well for AZ this year behind a disastrous OL before it broke him. Understandable gamble for Bills.

Totally agree :clap:

hemi13
03-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Great another NFL washout. Just what we needed and I bet we pay way to much!!!

BillsFever21
03-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Most of the people who think Kolb would be a good QB here probably thought he sucked before we wanted to sign him. I bet if he was going to the Jets there wouldn't be hardly any people saying it was a good move for them.

If it's just for backup money in the range that Fitzpatrick got from the Titans then I'm fine with it. If they plan on bringing him in as the starter and don't plan on addressing the QB position at some other point then I will flip. I wouldn't doubt it with this lousy front office.

mjt328
03-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Most of the people who think Kolb would be a good QB here probably thought he sucked before we wanted to sign him. I bet if he was going to the Jets there wouldn't be hardly any people saying it was a good move for them.

What he said...

Jaybird
03-30-2013, 06:07 PM
he's just as risky as drafting someone with the 8th pick. at least we can go after other needs and draft a QB in the second

YardRat
03-30-2013, 06:07 PM
<s>@</s>AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter): Bills & QB Kevin Kolb finalizing a deal tonight that will give Buffalo one more starting-caliber QB.”

:rofl: We still don't have one.

BillsFever21
03-30-2013, 06:10 PM
What he said...

That's what you call the Kool-Aid drinkers who think every move that Buffalo makes is a good one. If the player is in Buffalo then they are good but if they leave or don't sign here then they automatically suck.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the contract status. If it's only for a few million a year to be a backup and compete for a starting job I can live with that as long as they still address the decision. If they plan on throwing him out there as the starter and giving him a fairly big contract then that's a different story.

If they already signed TJax for over 2 million for this year then that would be a pretty expensive third string QB. I wouldn't doubt if this pathetic franchise seriously plans on going into the year with Kolb as the starter and/or giving him more then backup QB money. If they do give him more then backup QB money then you know that's their intention.

better days
03-30-2013, 06:12 PM

If it's just for backup money in the range that Fitzpatrick got from the Titans then I'm fine with it. If they plan on bringing him in as the starter and don't plan on addressing the QB position at some other point then I will flip. I wouldn't doubt it with this lousy front office.

Like I said before, I expect it to be back up money that comes with bonus money for games started. If Kolb Starts the entire season, he will probably get Starters money for the season & if he can play all 16 games without getting injured, I think he earns that money myself.

I watched a few of his games with the Cards & as I said, he has a MUCH better arm than Fitz. Looking forward to the QB competition myself. It will be the first real QB competition in YEARS.

And pro footballtalk.com is also reporting this deal as getting done & says the Jets & Raiders were also interested in him.

Night Train
03-30-2013, 06:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9116035/buffalo-bills-sign-kevin-kolb-sources

TJax, Kolb & an early draft pick to start Marrone off in year 1. Let them compete.

Thurmal
03-30-2013, 06:15 PM
I am a Bills pessimist, but I think the Kolb signing can't hurt. He's shown flashes of being decent, and could be an alright guy while the rookie QB is groomed a bit.

better days
03-30-2013, 06:22 PM
I am a Bills pessimist, but I think the Kolb signing can't hurt. He's shown flashes of being decent, and could be an alright guy while the rookie QB is groomed a bit.

Exactly. Most pessimists on this board think ALL the QBs in this draft are mediocre at best & they will criticize this signing as a failed QB. I guess they would like to go into next season with TJax & Corp as the only QB options on the team.

Skooby
03-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Kolb has won & played well in the NFL, right now we have no one else on the roster that can make that claim.

TacklingDummy
03-30-2013, 06:27 PM
CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

BillsFever21
03-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Kolb has won & played well in the NFL, right now we have no one else on the roster that can make that claim.

He has spent more games injured then games he has won as a QB. Yeah we have a real winner on our hands.

BillsFever21
03-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Exactly. Most pessimists on this board think ALL the QBs in this draft are mediocre at best & they will criticize this signing as a failed QB. I guess they would like to go into next season with TJax & Corp as the only QB options on the team.

I love it when people who look at the team objectively are just called pessimists by those who drink the Kool-Aid before every season. Well us "pessimists" haven't been wrong yet seeing that it's been 13 years since we even sniffed a playoff spot.

Novacane
03-30-2013, 06:35 PM
OP is gonna freak :rofl:

Cali512
03-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Out of all the QBs going into FA, if Kolb was released at the start, he woulda been the second best QB available. AZ was 4-0 beating legit teams untill they quit blocking for Kolb and he got injured. Give him a chance on a good team, at least hes someone who doesnt get scared. Took a sack every 7 attempts last year, but still converted some crazy 3rd, 4th- longs. Give him a chance

better days
03-30-2013, 06:41 PM
I love it when people who look at the team objectively are just called pessimists by those who drink the Kool-Aid before every season. Well us "pessimists" haven't been wrong yet seeing that it's been 13 years since we even sniffed a playoff spot.

I had a friend that was like you back in the 80's he bet BIG against the Bills ALL the time. He made a LOT of money doing that, BUT he lost it all & then some on the Levey, Kelly Bills. He would no doubt have made money again after Kelly retired, but he died before that happened.

BillsFever21
03-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I had a friend that was like you back in the 80's he bet BIG against the Bills ALL the time. He made a LOT of money doing that, BUT he lost it all & then some on the Levey, Kelly Bills. He would no doubt have made money again after Kelly retired, but he died before that happened.

Whoa that's impressive. The guy was only right for about two decades and then the Bills finally turned it around. I'm sure after all of your 10 win predictions for a couple decades when they finally turned it around you were probably so happy to act like you knew it all along. It only took a couple decades for it to come to fruition.

Those of us like "me", OP and others decide not to drink the Kool-Aid and god forbid if we actually look at the legitimacy of the Bills roster, coaching staff and front office on a yearly basis and make our projections bases off that. I can't wait for the day the Kool-Aid drinkers can come back and say I told you so if I hadn't already predicted them to turn it around before then.

People like "us" just don't automatically predict the Bills to be a horrible team on a yearly basis without looking at it from an objective point of view. We want them to win just as much as the homers who always predict a 10 win season. We just don't live in a parallel universe when we make our yearly predictions.

YardRat
03-30-2013, 06:50 PM

I think a lot of us are starting to feel the same fate creeping up on us.

swiper
03-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Out of all the QBs going into FA, if Kolb was released at the start, he woulda been the second best QB available.

IDK who you are considering #1, likely Flacco... but Kolb is not, nor ever has been, better than Matt Moore.

fluteflakes
This team is going to kill me young I swear to god.

BillsFever21
These predictions have been just as bad as the Bills records over their existence. It only took about 20 years for them to finally be right since a blind squirrel will find an acorn every now and then. After that they got to act like they knew it all along and then everybody enjoyed the party for about 8 years while we were competitive. We're running on 13 more years of wrong predictions now. Hopefully we don't need to wait another 7 years for these ones to finally come true like before.

BillsFever21
03-30-2013, 06:55 PM
IDK who you are considering #1, likely Flacco... but Kolb is not, nor ever has been, better than Matt Moore.

He is such a great wanted QB by NFL teams it took almost 3 weeks for him to be signed by a lousy team like the Bills. Very impressive.

gr8slayer
03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Love the move, it's a low-risk gamble for the Bills (assuming he comes with a fair price tag).

TacklingDummy
03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Kolb

Now use 8th pick on Patterson.
2nd round pick on Guard.
3rd on Nassib.

whkfc
03-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Well he's better than Tarvaris Jackson I guess.

Buddo
03-30-2013, 07:05 PM
For the moment, the bottom line, is that signing Kolb improves the roster, as he is undoubtedly better than Corp(se).
I don't see what the big deal should be about this, as yet.
Going back a few years, there were quite a few people who wanted to get Kolb. I don't believe I was ever in that camp, but I can see it as a move that makes sense now - especially when no picks are involved - as there isn't much out there in the way of half decent QBs.
I have no idea if Kolb will be, or should be expected to be successful for the Bills, but I don't have any problem with there actually being a genuine competition at QB for a change.

stuckincincy
03-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Who knows? Maybe Kolb could lead them to a strong 6 -10 record.

The concession stands could sell lipstick to put on this...er... :whistling

better days
03-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Whoa that's impressive. The guy was only right for about two decades and then the Bills finally turned it around. I'm sure after all of your 10 win predictions for a couple decades when they finally turned it around you were probably so happy to act like you knew it all along. It only took a couple decades for it to come to fruition.

Those of us like "me", OP and others decide not to drink the Kool-Aid and god forbid if we actually look at the legitimacy of the Bills roster, coaching staff and front office on a yearly basis and make our projections bases off that. I can't wait for the day the Kool-Aid drinkers can come back and say I told you so if I hadn't already predicted them to turn it around before then.

People like "us" just don't automatically predict the Bills to be a horrible team on a yearly basis without looking at it from an objective point of view. We want them to win just as much as the homers who always predict a 10 win season. We just don't live in a parallel universe when we make our yearly predictions.

I know Op wants the Bills to win. I'm not so sure about you & other pessimists on this board though. Some people would rather say see I was right than to see the Bills win.

justasportsfan
03-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Well he's better than Tarvaris Jackson I guess.

Kolb IMO is a better option than Fitz/Tjax because of his knowledge of the WCO who is nothing more than a stop gap .

YardRat
03-30-2013, 07:18 PM
If he comes cheap with an incentive laden contract I'm OK with it, but not kidding myself that this guy is going to actually be an upgrade.

Jeff1220
03-30-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm okay with this as long as it doesn't stop them from picking a QB high in the draft.

better days
03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
If he comes cheap with an incentive laden contract I'm OK with it, but not kidding myself that this guy is going to actually be an upgrade.

He will definitely be an UPGRADE over Fitz...............................IF he can stay healthy.

casdhf
03-30-2013, 07:33 PM
As long as we didn't give him 55 mill guaranteed I am fine with thid

gr8slayer
03-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Can't thank this post enough. I really hope that they are picking him up with the intention of drafting someone high to sit behind him for a year.
I'm okay with this as long as it doesn't stop them from picking a QB high in the draft.

justasportsfan
03-30-2013, 07:39 PM

I am more impressed watching Tyler Wilson throw the ball than I am with Kolb. I think EJ, Wilson or Nassib will beat kolb out in the end.

JoeMama
03-30-2013, 07:45 PM
God this franchise is hopeless.

Kevin Kolb.

An injury prone sack machine.

Gee, which QB in Bills history does this sound like?

better days
03-30-2013, 07:45 PM
I am more impressed watching Tyler Wilson throw the ball than I am with Kolb. I think EJ, Wilson or Nassib will beat kolb out in the end.

I expect Kolb to win the starting job, but I don't expect him to stay healthy for 16 games. I just hope the Rookie QB learns enough before he is thrown into the fire.

The question in my mind is do the Bills keep TJax knowing Kolb can go down at any time.

better days
03-30-2013, 07:46 PM
God this franchise is hopeless.

Kevin Kolb.

An injury prone sack machine.

Gee, which QB in Bills history does this sound like?

Yeah, I already said in another thread that Kolb is very Rob Johnson like.............................but without the goofy headband.

Bangarang
03-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I truly hope we draft a QB early still and don't intend on making this sack machine the guy to make us relevant again.

yikes

bigbub2352
03-30-2013, 08:04 PM
solid move at this piont in fa..,you could do alot worse than kolb and jackson as backups

ZAZusmc03
03-30-2013, 08:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9116035/buffalo-bills-agree-quarterback-kevin-kolb-sources

deal done.

2 years, max of $13 mil

better days
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
solid move at this piont in fa..,you could do alot worse than kolb and jackson as backups

Yeah, you could have Fitz as the back up. Or Thigpen. Or Corp.

Johnny Bugmenot
03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
What a disaster.

Once again this team insists on stacking its roster with retreads instead of actually DEVELOPING a quarterback from scratch.

Sheesh. I try to stay away from this place for a while and then they come up with a boneheaded move like this. They give the same deal they gave Merriman, even though Kolb has shown nowhere near the level of play Merriman did at his peak.

Well... if you need any more proof this team is going LT in round 1, after letting Levitre walk, this is it.

Scumbag College
03-30-2013, 08:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9116035/buffalo-bills-agree-quarterback-kevin-kolb-sources

deal done.

2 years, max of $13 mil

Wow! That's alot of money for a guy that hasn't done too much in the league.

BertSquirtgum
03-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Here come all the dumb asses crying about having another starting quarterback on the roster.

GOBILLSGO!!!
03-30-2013, 08:25 PM
And yet I continue to root for this team...

Tatonka
03-30-2013, 08:28 PM
i really dont think that it would have mattered who we signed, your not going to get a unanomous approval from any group of fans.

I dont know if i am a pessimist or not these days.. i know that i definately dont care about the bills like i used to after being so awful for so long.

I can say that with this signing, assuming they paid him appropriately, i think they made a good move. Kolb is not a bad qb.. anyone who has watched the cards at all, knows that their line was about the worst in the NFL. Im not saying ours is WAY better, but it is definately better, even without knowing who our LG is. Kolb has shown that he has the ability to play well even under the pressure he was constantly under. Anyone who gets hit like he was getting hit is going to get injured.

Now i am not saying he is going to come in here an be the savior, and i would fully expect the bills to invest an early pick in a qb, which is the right thing to do, but i do think that there is a very good chance that Kolb could beat out a rookie and Tjax. I like his TD to INT ratio. I like his talent/arm. He is obviously somewhat fragile, but again, i know for a fact that there are not many people that could have withstood the beating he took, so i am willing to take a wait and see approach before i automatically **** on the signing.

I reserve the right to **** on him and the bills in six months though.

capitolneal
03-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Now sign oglltree at 8 nassib rd 2

T-Long
03-30-2013, 08:35 PM
No problem with this signing at all...we are still going to take a QB in Round 1 or Round 2. Kolb is on a 2 year deal, Jackson on a 1 year deal. Draft our rookie and let them all battle it out, it's that simple. Kolb has won in this league when healthy. 2 veteran QBs and then a rookie to groom, its a good plan for what is available this year.

BillsFever21
03-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I know Op wants the Bills to win. I'm not so sure about you & other pessimists on this board though. Some people would rather say see I was right than to see the Bills win.

Nah I've only been to over 100 games in the past 15 years at RWS. I just spend all that money to go up there hoping to see them lose. I would love to be proved wrong.

I guess if you always want to live in a fantasy world where you think everything is always better then it really is then that's your prerogative. Some would rather not.

Night Train
03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
No problem with this signing at all...we are still going to take a QB in Round 1 or Round 2. Kolb is on a 2 year deal, Jackson on a 1 year deal. Draft our rookie and let them all battle it out, it's that simple. Kolb has won in this league when healthy. 2 veteran QBs and then a rookie to groom, its a good plan for what is available this year.

The 2 year deal may have given the Bills a possible idea of passing on a QB until next year. I still expect one this year but it's no longer a stone cold lock. Desperation mode has left the building.

coastal
03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Awesome!

now we need some more studs and then we will draft some super studs and then we're going to the bowl!

idiots.

theanswer74
03-30-2013, 08:48 PM
The guy is a walking injury. Whoever is behind him will be playing in no time. Kolb doesnt suck though, he just gets hurt so much.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Wow! That's alot of money for a guy that hasn't done too much in the league.
IT IS?

BillsFever21
03-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Only the Bills would have about 8 million a year invested between backup level QB's.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Now sign oglltree at 8 nassib rd 2

NOW WE ARE TALKING!!!

- - - Updated - - -

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:9055922&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

coastal
03-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Ogeltree? Wasn't he just arrested for a DUI?

and Nassib? Didn't he play QB for a college with a third rate football program?

oh yeah!!!! Lets go for it!

BillsFever21
03-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Yeah, you could have Fitz as the back up. Or Thigpen. Or Corp.

The sad thing is that even though how bad Fitzpatrick was he has still been more successful then Kevin Kolb. Kolb has 28 TD's and 25 INT's in his career along with tons of injuries. At least Fitzpatrick stayed healthy too.

New doesn't always mean better whether you want it to or not. I'm willing to bet in 2011 you probably thought Fitzpatrick was also good and thought that his contract extension was a good idea. LOL

BertSquirtgum
03-30-2013, 09:13 PM
What a disaster.

Once again this team insists on stacking its roster with retreads instead of actually DEVELOPING a quarterback from scratch.

Sheesh. I try to stay away from this place for a while and then they come up with a boneheaded move like this. They give the same deal they gave Merriman, even though Kolb has shown nowhere near the level of play Merriman did at his peak.

Well... if you need any more proof this team is going LT in round 1, after letting Levitre walk, this is it.

So they already passed on a quarterback in the draft? Good job dummy.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-30-2013, 09:16 PM
You know what, **** it. This team is committed to being a joke. So I'll treat them like the Royals in that if they win go Bills, if they lose oh well.

mikemac2001
03-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Why not spend the money

More competition is for the better

Draft a rookie and let the battle begin

Bangarang
03-30-2013, 09:25 PM
The deal is incentive based. Probably $3-4 million guaranteed.

Not a big deal.

Bert102176
03-30-2013, 09:46 PM
If it's true I like the move he was doing good in AZ before his injury, and playing with an OL in AZ that hat was getting hit 93% of the passing attempts makes it hard to do anything, the injuries concern me, but our OL is good besides needing a starting guard, I still would like to see either EJ Manuel, Tyler Wilson, or Ryan Nassib.and in that order 1 of those 3 in the 2nd rd and let them compete in camp for the starting job if anything the rookie can sit a year and learn and prepare.

SquishDaFish
03-30-2013, 09:54 PM

Will you please go root for your ****ing niners you ******* loser. Im so tired as are alot of us looking at your ****ty posts.

kingJofNYC
03-30-2013, 10:02 PM
You can't go into the draft with just T.Jack on and whatever the **** his name on the roster.

Most of the rookie QBs aren't good enough to start on day one, so its good that they won't throw a young kid with a below average supporting cast into the fire. On the other hand, they have a QB made out of glass and Jackson.

better days
03-30-2013, 10:14 PM
The sad thing is that even though how bad Fitzpatrick was he has still been more successful then Kevin Kolb. Kolb has 28 TD's and 25 INT's in his career along with tons of injuries. At least Fitzpatrick stayed healthy too.

New doesn't always mean better whether you want it to or not. I'm willing to bet in 2011 you probably thought Fitzpatrick was also good and thought that his contract extension was a good idea. LOL

When Fitz was playing well at the begining of 2011 he had me fooled.......................................just like YOU & EVERYONE else.

capitolneal
03-31-2013, 12:15 AM

Oh yeah didn't warren sapp fall to eleven for weed? Yep he was crap, ogletree is best inside backer in draft not a need there.
But then again u never enjoyed the college life

JoeMama
03-31-2013, 12:54 AM
While we're debating linebackers, did we cut Kelvin Sheppard yet?

Anytime I see his stupid name, I cross my fingers and earnestly hope the next three words I read are "has been released."

I'd be cool with Alec Ogletree. He looks like a good prospect.

djjimkelly
03-31-2013, 01:36 AM
i think this is a great signing now gives us flexibility in the draft and now even if we take a 2nd round qb this year maybe we take a 1st rounder next year

coastal
03-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Will you please go root for your ****ing niners you ******* loser. Im so tired as are alot of us looking at your ****ty posts.
As the season wore on, I kinda took a liking to Seattle.

Luisito23
03-31-2013, 07:33 AM
When Fitz was playing well at the begining of 2011 he had me fooled.......................................just like YOU & EVERYONE else.

LOL...Had YOU fooled, true...A few knew better.

better days
03-31-2013, 07:42 AM
LOL...Had YOU fooled, true...A few knew better.

OK show me post made by game 4 that show that. I call BS on that.

CoolBreeze
03-31-2013, 08:03 AM
What's your solution?
What a disaster.

X-Era
03-31-2013, 08:15 AM
Signing him at some low level incentive ladend contract isn't the mistake. Starting him would be.

better days
03-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Signing him at some low level incentive ladend contract isn't the mistake. Starting him would be.

The Bills are not going to just hand him the keys to the car. He will have to cut the grass & take out the garbage first to earn those keys.

Seriously, if Kolb wins the competition in camp why would it be a mistake to start him?

And I do expect him to win the job, I just don't expect him to stay healthy for a full 16 games.

BertSquirtgum
03-31-2013, 09:37 AM
You can't go into the draft with just T.Jack on and whatever the **** his name on the roster.

Most of the rookie QBs aren't good enough to start on day one, so its good that they won't throw a young kid with a below average supporting cast into the fire. On the other hand, they have a QB made out of glass and Jackson.

I don't think he is made of glass. If you watched some of the pummeling hits he took and bounced right back up you could that he is actually pretty tough. Any human being after so many hits is going to get hurt sooner rather than later.

Destroyed here. I don't know how he got up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rL_u9eUcjy0

Luisito23
03-31-2013, 09:51 AM
OK...

jwenger
03-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Get Kolb and Tyler Wilson

BillsFever21
03-31-2013, 03:14 PM

He didn't have me fooled into thinking he was worth that contract extension. I had hope for him to be a decent starter till we found an answer for the long haul but I was disgusted when they gave him that contract extension after only playing one good month of football.

Most people were just so excited to actually see some completions more then 5 yards down the field after the Trent Edwards era that they couldn't see past the short term. I'm willing to bet you thought Edwards was the answer too and our franchise QB.

better days
03-31-2013, 10:09 PM
He didn't have me fooled into thinking he was worth that contract extension. I had hope for him to be a decent starter till we found an answer for the long haul but I was disgusted when they gave him that contract extension after only playing one good month of football.

Most people were just so excited to actually see some completions more then 5 yards down the field after the Trent Edwards era that they couldn't see past the short term. I'm willing to bet you thought Edwards was the answer too and our franchise QB.

Well, I was never an Edwards fan. Even when he was winning games, I HATE that dink & dunk game myself.....................BORING.