PDA

View Full Version : For What it is Worth, TSN Has Us Drafting Geno Smith @ #8

SpikedLemonade
03-31-2013, 12:30 PM
I believe the vast majority of this board is onside with this...

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/feature/?id=9057

jwenger
03-31-2013, 01:07 PM

I hope he is and I hope we do.

CoolBreeze
03-31-2013, 07:02 PM
I think they will shock everyone and take Eifert. Best TE in the draft. He fits the big receiver that can go up at get it as Nix has described.

TigerJ
03-31-2013, 07:23 PM
If he's available, I think he's the Bills pick, and I'm fine with that. If he's not, I would not be devastated, but it will be a challenge for the Bills to find good value at a position of need without a trade down. Geno Smith might not be a great value reckoned the way players used to be evaluated, but with the premium placed on QBs in todays NFL, I think he's a decent value for the Bills at 8.

JoeMama
04-01-2013, 12:59 AM
I think they will shock everyone and take Eifert. Best TE in the draft. He fits the big receiver that can go up at get it as Nix has described.

Yeah that's a great pick... if we're one TE away from a Lombardi trophy.

But you may have noticed we're the worst franchise in all of professional sports and we don't have the luxury of drafting a TE this early.

We still need someone to throw the ball to our flashy new TE after all.

And Lord knows there isn't a whiff of talent between Kolb, Corp, Jackson, or any of the losers in this draft class.

swiper
04-01-2013, 04:58 AM

I kinda like this draft. I'd be ok if the Bills brass took Smith at #8 because they seem to have done their homework on the QBs. However I suspect they won't go that route, otherwise they wouldn't have signed Kolb 26 days before the draft.

It is amazing that this draft has linemen going at each of the top 5 spots - proving the value of the lines (to everyone except Ralph Wilson), and yet the Bills HAD one and let Levitre go anyway.

X-Era
04-01-2013, 05:50 AM
I think the key to whether we take a QB like Smith at 8 is not Kolb actually... It's what the other teams do above us at QB.

If Oak does get Flynn and then the Cards do get Palmer, I think Geno dropping to us is much more likely. And I think the Bills would take him there.

The flip side is that all of these QB needy teams (including the Bills) may be buying themselves insurance with these moves at QB. And what that does is allow them to wait until round 2 for a QB even when the 2nd round guy may take longer to groom.

On the one hand, it would appear that the Bills can take advantage of it and simply wait until round 2 to get the QB and possibly get a guy they would have taken at 8. But they may also watch the other QB needy teams make a run on QB's at the start of the 2nd round.

The best possible scenario would be to trade down, get extra picks, and still get the top QB before these teams get a chance in round 2.

better days
04-01-2013, 08:57 AM
I kinda like this draft. I'd be ok if the Bills brass took Smith at #8 because they seem to have done their homework on the QBs. However I suspect they won't go that route, otherwise they wouldn't have signed Kolb 26 days before the draft.

It is amazing that this draft has linemen going at each of the top 5 spots - proving the value of the lines (to everyone except Ralph Wilson), and yet the Bills HAD one and let Levitre go anyway.

Bill Polian has said that it is 50/50 hit miss on a FA just as it is with the draft. You have a 50% chance to get it right.

I don't think the signing of Kolb precludes the Bills from drafting a QB in the first rnd, especially with Kolbs injury history.

better days
04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
I think the key to whether we take a QB like Smith at 8 is not Kolb actually... It's what the other teams do above us at QB.

If Oak does get Flynn and then the Cards do get Palmer, I think Geno dropping to us is much more likely. And I think the Bills would take him there.

The flip side is that all of these QB needy teams (including the Bills) may be buying themselves insurance with these moves at QB. And what that does is allow them to wait until round 2 for a QB even when the 2nd round guy may take longer to groom.

On the one hand, it would appear that the Bills can take advantage of it and simply wait until round 2 to get the QB and possibly get a guy they would have taken at 8. But they may also watch the other QB needy teams make a run on QB's at the start of the 2nd round.

The best possible scenario would be to trade down, get extra picks, and still get the top QB before these teams get a chance in round 2.

You & I are thinking alike on this. Kolb is most likely stopgap insurance. The Bills are not going to put all their eggs in his basket. Best case senerio is Kolb stays healthy,plays great, becomes the next Rich Gannon or Curt Warner. I would say the odds of that happening are less than 50%. QB is still a NEED for the Bills. And if the Bills draft a GOOD QB & Kolb plays GREAT & stays healthy, the QB position becomes one of STRENGTH. But that is a LONGSHOT of happening. Our best hope is the Rookie or Kolb come through.

X-Era
04-01-2013, 01:15 PM
You & I are thinking alike on this. Kolb is most likely stopgap insurance. The Bills are not going to put all their eggs in his basket. Best case senerio is Kolb stays healthy,plays great, becomes the next Rich Gannon or Curt Warner. I would say the odds of that happening are less than 50%. QB is still a NEED for the Bills. And if the Bills draft a GOOD QB & Kolb plays GREAT & stays healthy, the QB position becomes one of STRENGTH. But that is a LONGSHOT of happening. Our best hope is the Rookie or Kolb come through.
And Nix stated that the Bills might add a QB from both FA and the draft.

jwenger
04-01-2013, 02:18 PM
If he's available, I think he's the Bills pick, and I'm fine with that. If he's not, I would not be devastated, but it will be a challenge for the Bills to find good value at a position of need without a trade down. Geno Smith might not be a great value reckoned the way players used to be evaluated, but with the premium placed on QBs in todays NFL, I think he's a decent value for the Bills at 8.

There is no doubt about it,we have one of the worst managed football
teams in the NFL. We have been AFCE floormats for the last 5 years and
haven't seen the playoffs forever. I can see this dumb scenario shaping up
for draft day. Geno makes it to the 8th pick and we pass on him for some
douche bag and the JETS grab him in 1 second and they go on to hammer us
and our Kolb forever. I don't put that past the idiots at OBD to do that.
Jets may even move up past us. You know they threw that last game for drafting position.
They hammered us by 50 or so points in the opener. Come on.

stuckincincy
04-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Well-put - sadly...:horror: