• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

coastal's 2013 Five Card Studs- Royal Flush Edition

Well... another year, another version of coastal's 5 Card Studs! For those of you who look forward to this, thank you! This has been a lot of fun doing year on year. In terms of overall quality of players selected, I've missed on some... but for the most part, I'd put my work up against many of the GMs around the league.

Here's a list of some past 5 Card Studs -

Kyle Williams (all-time best 5 Card Stud)
    Jeremy Trueblood
    Andrew Whitworth
    Jimmy Graham
    Tim Tebow
    Evander Hood
    Rueben Randle
    Mason Foster
    Jabaal Sheard (all-time can't believe we took a CB instead of this guy 5 Card Stud)
    Mike Iupati (all-time favorite 5 Card Stud)

Not a bad list... here's hoping this year's version has more than a couple of names that end up having long, productive careers in the NFL. So without further ado... welcome to 2013's version of coastal's 5 Card Studs - Royal Diamond Flush Edition!

For those of you who know me and my proclivities... I'm a defensive guy but not this year! They've had their chance and now its time to make them earn added attention. Between forgotten draft picks and all too familiar free agents... their time to prove themselves is now. Let the new DC prove his genius... let the players prove their worth... and it's time to take this team in another direction!

It's time to go all in on the offense!

One proclivity that hasn't changed for me however is the idea of building strengths, and although the focus has shifted to the offensive side of the ball this year, its all designed with one idea... taking a strength... a talent... and making that talent elite!

One last bit of instruction... click "play" on the youtube video and listen while you read! Most importantly... enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

1.) Chance Warmack, OG Alabama - Let's talk for a second about CJ Spiller. He IS the elite talent on this roster. Not understanding that or building around him speaks to a complete void of planning or reason at OBD. Letting an improving o-line take a step back is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Forget about Levitre. He's gone. What Chance represents is potentially the best player in the entire 2013 NFL Draft at an area of complete need on our team. I've tried... trust me I've tried... to plug any number of different players into this spot and every time I keep coming straight back here. It speaks to everything I believe in... having a strong oline is vital to success, building to strengths, building around your best players, the planet theory of 1st round draft picks, etc, etc, etc. Cordy Glenn had what I would consider to be a promising rookie season at LT, especially with run blocking. Cordy is a thick, powerful, young man. Chance is cut out of that exact same mold. Putting Chance in between Cordy and Wood will go a long way toward moving this team forward. Save the "you don't take a guard in the top 10 of the draft" crap! I ain't buying. I'm going all in with Chance as my Ace of Diamonds.

- - - Updated - - -

2.) DeAndre Hopkins, WR Clemson - Stevie can't do it all on his own. That is so painfully obvious. He needs a compliment. He needs an outside threat, and i'm not necessarily talking about a deep, spread threat either. I'm talking about a guy who knows how to operate physically on the perimeter of a football field and come up on the winning end more oft than not. That guy in this draft is DeAndre. Last year, I wanted to take Rueben Randle to fill that role. We passed in favor of TJ Graham later on. Duh! Tiem to stopp being stupid and pray that DeAndre's poor 40 times leading up to the draft are enough to allow him to drop to us in the 2nd! Production... check! 4 star recruit our of high school with continued production throughout college... check! Fills another galring hole on this team... check! One last thing about DeAndre. He comes from CJ's alma mater. Fellow Clemson boys balling together... a little psychological strength building doesn't hurt and another reason why DeAndre is this year's King of Diamonds!

• coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: coastal's 2013 Five Card Studs- Royal Flush Edition

3.) Matt Scott, QB Arizona - Talk about gaining a cult following... Matt is it. Let's keep this simple ok... we need to round out competition at quarterback, but Kolb has bought us the privilege of not having to reach on the garbage being pawned off as 1st and 2nd round prospects at the position in this year's draft. Matt needs to be coached up... make no question about it... and is a little smaller than ideal, but he really does represent an unpolished protype of today's read/option quarterbacks. He has an under-rated arm, and shows in big games as evidenced by his victory over USC. Yes... this may be a little early for him, but really... what are we historically missing out on? Alex Carrington? TJ Graham? Cmon! I'll gamble on this kid and his upside... and that's why he's this year's Queen of Hearts!

- - - Updated - - -

4.) Stepfan Taylor, RB Stanford - Insert Jim Mora voice... A runningback? A Running back? Yes! A Running back who isn't Tashard Choice. Look... Freddie is injured a lot these days and started carpeting the ball on a semi-regular basis last year. Not to mention... he's getting longer in the tooth every single day. We need someone to offset CJ should Freddie go down and on in to the future as well. That someone, should we be lucky enough to have him drop to us in the 4th, should be Stepfan. His one cut style will compliment CJ nicely, while not giving up one thing in the the blocking realm either. He also has shown some ability in route running and catching the ball. Sure he's not a breakaway guy, but we don't need that. That's what we have CJ for. Stepfan has a nifty, physical little 3rd down compliment back to CJ written all over him. that's continuing to build to a strength and why Stepfan is this year's Jack of Diamonds!

- - - Updated - - -

5.) Nick Kasa, TE Colorado - No... he's not Jimmy Graham... or the reincarnation of Keith McKellar. He's a TE who is relatively new to the position. Nick is actually a converted DE, so he understands the physical part of the game quite well. Nick excels at blocking and needs a lot of coaching up, but part of sitting down at the poker table is gambling... and even though its only a 5th round gamble, we're gambling that he has what it takes to accept that coaching and one day becomes a situational TE. In the meantime... coach him up and tell him to go kill someone on special teams! And maybe... just maybe... he becomes a great blocking, short area receiver at the TE position. That's the hope for this year's Ten of Diamonds!

Last edited by coastal; 03-31-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

One last shoutout... to my oldest son... Axel!

Thanks for the help with photoshop today! Most appreciated and Happy Easter everyone!

Comment

• jdaltroy5
        • Aug 2012

Royal flush alright....right down the toilet!

Sorry, I didn't even read it, I just wanted to use that line.

Comment

• coastal
          Legendary Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
          Royal flush alright....right down the toilet!

Sorry, I didn't even read it, I just wanted to use that line.
          Quit being a punk... that's my job.

Read it... it'll be good for you!

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
            • Feb 2009

Thanks Coastal I always enjoy your 5 card studs.. Not real happy about the 3rd and 4th Round picks though.. Warmack im ok with assuming Joeckel and Fisher are off the board before the bills pick @8

Comment

• Gibby
              Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
              • Jun 2006

Pretty good list. Lets hope OBD has some brains to do something similar.

Comment

• ELAYAS
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                3.) Matt Scott, QB Arizona - Talk about gaining a cult following... Matt is it. Let's keep this simple ok... we need to round out competition at quarterback, but Kolb has bought us the privilege of not having to reach on the garbage being pawned off as 1st and 2nd round prospects at the position in this year's draft. Matt needs to be coached up... make no question about it... and is a little smaller than ideal, but he really does represent an unpolished protype of today's read/option quarterbacks. He has an under-rated arm, and shows in big games as evidenced by his victory over USC. Yes... this may be a little early for him, but really... what are we historically missing out on? Alex Carrington? TJ Graham? Cmon! I'll gamble on this kid and his upside... and that's why he's this year's Queen of Hearts!
                !!!
                Is this a knock on Scott or should it be renamed "Straight Edition"?

Comment

• coastal
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ELAYAS View Post
                  !!!
                  Is this a knock on Scott or should it be renamed "Straight Edition"?
                  My 43% is showing.

Fyi... Kasa broke the "Do you like girls?" Combine question scandal.

Comment

• JoeMama
                    Emotion Sickness
                    • Oct 2002

I like most of this, just not taking another RB in the first 4 rounds.

We're fine there. Let's move on to other areas of concern.

We have plenty.
                    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• jamze132
                      • Jun 2003

Good read.

Comment

• Swiper
                        • Sep 2010

swiping here....

No guard at #8. Dead set against that on any year - and this especially when the Bills LB corps is a mess.

Scott is a fad. Don't draft fads.

The RB, WR, TE IDK as well, but the Bills need to stack their defense. ILB, OLB, SS, DE.

Comment

• pmoon6
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                          Quit being a punk... that's my job.
                          And you're so good at it.

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
                            Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
                            • Nov 2012

You have Matt Scott in the wrong suit.

Comment

• coastal
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Berger-boy View Post
                              You have Matt Scott in the wrong suit.
                              Thank u.

Comment

Working...
                              X