PDA

View Full Version : Desperation and accepting mediocrity are the only reasons to like the Kolb move.

Pages : [1] 2

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Is Kolb better than Jackson and Corp? Probably, but that's not saying much. He's not a franchise QB. He's not the guy we need. He's not good- he's good enough.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61SObdSRaRL.gif

Kolb is Fitzpatrick 2.0. He's a QB that was OK but never quite caught on elsewhere, then brought here to be the starter.

Kolb's numbers:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8290

Fitz's numbers:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7426

For their careers, Kolb is only half a yard better in yards per attempt, and that's WITH Fitzgerald on his team. Like or hate Stevie, he's no Fitzgerald. Kolb's QB rating is barely 2 points better than Fitz, 78.9 to 76.8. The only area in which Kolb is noticeably better than Fitz is turnovers.

I know, "but it was AZ's OL." Of course, that goes with the mantra of this site of not holding players responsible. "It's not (Stevie, McKelvin, Donte, TJ or other guy the poster likes)'s fault, it's the (QB, coach, coordinator, system, OL, pass rush or other unpopular part of the team)'s fault." Yes, team sports are easier for an individual player when they are on a better team. That's true for every player on every team in every sport at every level, no exceptions. But some players make the players around them better, and some players need better players around them. Kolb is yet another one of the latter.

It's easier to blame AZ's OL. It's more pleasant than accepting the reality that we still don't have our franchise QB. It's more pleasant than accepting the reality that our FO that has made so many mistakes in the past has made yet another one. It can't be that our new QB is just like our old one. It has to be AZ's OL.

And let's not forget that we lost a great starting G and our only halfway decent backup. And our T's and OL depth weren't the greatest last year....

And let's not forget that Kolb tends to get injured, which means we're right back to starting TJax, only with $6 million of cap space flushed down the toilet instead of being used on a G or LB or CB or WR.

We need a franchise QB. There isn't one available. So, we did what we always do in Buffalo: settled for what's left. And we did it at the expense of filling another hole. Kolb's on the team now and I hope he succeeds. I hope he becomes a franchise QB. There is just no logical reason to expect it to happen. It's still Groundhog Day in Buffalo.

SpikedLemonade
04-01-2013, 04:28 PM
As long as this move does not get in the way of our 2-14 or worse season, then it does not bother me.

We do not need another 5-11 or 6-10 season.

SABURZFAN
04-01-2013, 04:29 PM
a two year contract is long enough to find a QB who IS a franchise QB. c'mon.... we've gone over this MANY times. :birds:

justasportsfan
04-01-2013, 04:30 PM
I have yet to see anyone say he's the answer. But having a player with both NFL experience and running the WCO is better than just TJax ,Corp and a rookie at camp. I don't think the bills are expecting our franchise qb to come from FA.

Cali512
04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Watch a ****in game will ya? Kolbs OL was horrible and if there was ever a legit excuse for bad play, its now

Jeff1220
They'll probably still draft a guy. If none of that works (a likely scenario), then they draft a guy again next year. Signing Kolb is not a good move or a bad move, it was the only possible move at this time. They didn't give up a pick or picks and can go into the draft with more flexibility than if they hadn't signed him. Any complaining this team has created shouldn't be about signing Kolb, it should be about not doing something in the last few years that would've prevented this whole scenario. Now this is the bed they've made and we all have to sleep in it. Hopefully one of these '13 QBs in a hidden gem.

OpIv37
a two year contract is long enough to find a QB who IS a franchise QB. c'mon.... we've gone over this MANY times. :birds:
he had two years in Arizona.....

But it'll be different in Buffalo, right? Doing the same thing and expecting different results ALWAYS works.....

YardRat
04-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Pretty sure no one is expecting Kolb to be a saviour, and kicking the idea of still looking for a 'franchise' QB to the curb just because we signed him.

better days
04-01-2013, 04:33 PM
NOBODY has said Kolb is a franchise QB. HE is a MUCH cheaper replacement for Fitz. But you are right Op we could have just gone with TJax, Corp & the Rookie. Talk about accepting mediocrity.

And even if Andy Corp was the QB next season, I would bet the Bills win 6 games.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Just to give some more perspective to this:

AZ cut Kolb. The QB's on their roster right now:
6 Hoyer, Brian QB 6-2 215 27 4 Michigan State
14 Lindley, Ryan QB 6-4 230 23 R San Diego State
19 Skelton, John QB 6-6 244 25 3 Fordham
5 Stanton, Drew QB 6-3 243 28 6 Michigan State

That's even WORSE than TJax and Corp- at least TJax has some NFL starts.

We took a reject from AZ that left them with a worse QB situation than what we have. Just let that sink in for a minute.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 04:37 PM
NOBODY has said Kolb is a franchise QB. HE is a MUCH cheaper replacement for Fitz. But you are right Op we could have just gone with TJax, Corp & the Rookie. Talk about accepting mediocrity.

And even if Andy Corp was the QB next season, I would bet the Bills win 6 games.

We are no better with Kolb than we were with TJax and Corp. Kolb sucks.

THERE IS NO FRANCHISE QB AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW. THIS TEAM HAS MORE HOLES THAN CAN POSSIBLY BE ADDRESSED IN ONE OFF SEASON.

The only smart thing to do is to put the resources toward other positions that may actually get fixed and wait on an opportunity to get a real QB. It sucks, but it's the only shot we have. Signing Fitz 2.0 just sets us back.

Oh, and we're eating Fitz's cap hit. Fitz's cap hit that we are eating plus Kolb's cap hit is not cheaper than keeping Fitz. And it definitely won't be next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure no one is expecting Kolb to be a saviour, and kicking the idea of still looking for a 'franchise' QB to the curb just because we signed him.

Do you honestly think the FO will do that? "Well we feel Kevin Kolb is a great fit here and is capable of leading our team." The FO's never said some crap like that before, right?

justasportsfan
04-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Just to give some more perspective to this:

AZ cut Kolb. The QB's on their roster right now:
6 Hoyer, Brian QB 6-2 215 27 4 Michigan State
14 Lindley, Ryan QB 6-4 230 23 R San Diego State
19 Skelton, John QB 6-6 244 25 3 Fordham
5 Stanton, Drew QB 6-3 243 28 6 Michigan State

That's even WORSE than TJax and Corp- at least TJax has some NFL starts.

We took a reject from AZ that left them with a worse QB situation than what we have. Just let that sink in for a minute.

Ariz's new head doesn't think Kolb is the answer just like I doubt the bills think Kolb is the answer , so whats the problem?

delectrolux
04-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson. That's how the Seahawks found their QB. So, we've got our Tarvaris Jackson, and Kolb is our Matt Flynn (seriously, Flynn is just Kolb from 3 years ago). Now we go and draft our rookie. I know nobody in this draft is supposed to be as good as Russell Wilson – but Russell Wilson wasn't supposed to be as good as Russell Wilson.

So, it might work, it might not. But if we pick a QB in the first or second round, we're at least moving in the right direction.

Cali512
04-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Has anyone even got the V-Text that he signed?

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Watch a ****in game will ya? Kolbs OL was horrible and if there was ever a legit excuse for bad play, its now

Of course, it's NEVER my guy's fault.... it has to be SOMEONE ELSE's fault. No one is responsible for their own play.

Cali512
04-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson. That's how the Seahawks found their QB. So, we've got our Tarvaris Jackson, and Kolb is our Matt Flynn (seriously, Flynn is just Kolb from 3 years ago). Now we go and draft our rookie. I know nobody in this draft is supposed to be as good as Russell Wilson – but Russell Wilson wasn't supposed to be as good as Russell Wilson.

So, it might work, it might not. But if we pick a QB in the first or second round, we're at least moving in the right direction.

Matt Scott-Kevin Kolb- Travaris Jackson

Seahawks 2.0

Cali512
04-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Of course, it's NEVER my guy's fault.... it has to be SOMEONE ELSE's fault. No one is responsible for their own play.

Ok let me take that then

No responcible for his own play?

What his 4-1 start vs Mia, Sea, and NE. 8 TDs-3 Ints over 1000 yds?

justasportsfan
04-01-2013, 04:42 PM

THERE IS NO FRANCHISE QB AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW. THIS TEAM HAS MORE HOLES THAN CAN POSSIBLY BE ADDRESSED IN ONE OFF SEASON.

The only smart thing to do is to put the resources toward other positions that may actually get fixed and wait on an opportunity to get a real QB. It sucks, but it's the only shot we have. Signing Fitz 2.0 just sets us back.

Oh, and we're eating Fitz's cap hit. Fitz's cap hit that we are eating plus Kolb's cap hit is not cheaper than keeping Fitz. And it definitely won't be next year.

Kolb is Fitz 2.0 with WCO experience. That's it. If reports are true, he gets nothing but back up money if he gets outplayed at camp. I'm okay with Fitz 2.0 as a bac-up.

OpIv37
Has anyone even got the V-Text that he signed?

I unsubscribed from V Text during the season so I didn't get score updates if I had to record the games, and when I tried to set it back up, it didn't work.

But ESPN said that he signed on SportsCenter about an hour ago.

Cali512
Last year was Kevin Kolbs best year, and he looked very good even with all the pressure. His numbers and play was good even with it, im not saying that its the reason why he was bad, because he wasnt last year

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Ok let me take that then

No responcible for his own play?

What his 4-1 start vs Mia, Sea, and NE. 8 TDs-3 Ints over 1000 yds?

Uhhhh.... Fitz had a 4-1 start too.

better days
04-01-2013, 04:44 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Do you honestly think the FO will do that? "Well we feel Kevin Kolb is a great fit here and is capable of leading our team." The FO's never said some crap like that before, right?

If the Bills had kept Fitz, they would not only have had to PAY him his $10 Mill Salary this year, but it would also have affected the cap next year moreso than the $7 mill in dead money the Bills will have. So yeah, Kolb is CHEAPER than keeping Fitz & he is better than TJax Corp & Fitz. And I don't give a damn what the stats say, I know what I saw with my own eyes.

And people that use stats to compare Fitz to Kolb is the same thing as when people used to use stats to defend Trent Edwards. The stats mean NOTHING.

Cali512
04-01-2013, 04:44 PM
I unsubscribed from V Text during the season so I didn't get score updates if I had to record the games, and when I tried to set it back up, it didn't work.

But ESPN said that he signed on SportsCenter about an hour ago.

Because i think that totally discounts any idea that the FO is acting like hes the savior. Its no where yet, and if the FO was going to try to over hype him, hed be all over the front page with stories about how his imbillical cord was cut and how he learned how to say moma 5 days before the avg blah blah. I dont think anyone thinks hes incredible, but hes at least average. I wouldnt say hes bad, yet.

SpikedLemonade
04-01-2013, 04:45 PM

You always make me laugh.

Thank you.

Cali512
04-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Uhhhh.... Fitz had a 4-1 start too.

Yes with a great line and alot more weapons, beating lesser teams, and Kolb didnt lose his 4-1 start. He got injured and thats when the team lost the games. Maybe if he played they woulda had a great season, no one knows. But theres no reason to think not after already beating some good teams and being off to a very good start.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Because i think that totally discounts any idea that the FO is acting like hes the savior. Its no where yet, and if the FO was going to try to over hype him, hed be all over the front page with stories about how his imbillical cord was cut and how he learned how to say moma 5 days before the avg blah blah. I dont think anyone thinks hes incredible, but hes at least average. I wouldnt say hes bad, yet.

The Bills may not be hyping him as the savior, but do you honestly believe that the FO isn't thinking that he is? Or at least hoping so they don't have to try to find/pay an actual franchise QB?

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Yes with a great line and alot more weapons, beating lesser teams, and Kolb didnt lose his 4-1 start. He got injured and thats when the team lost the games. Maybe if he played they woulda had a great season, no one knows. But theres no reason to think not after already beating some good teams and being off to a very good start.

Um, I don't know what Bills team you watched in 2011 but we didn't have a great OL. We had a decent OL. And we didn't have a lot of weapons. We had head-case Stevie, Jackson and Chandler- that's it. Yes, technically we had Spiller but he didn't do anything in that 4-1 start.

justasportsfan
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
The Bills may not be hyping him as the savior, but do you honestly believe that the FO isn't thinking that he is? Or at least hoping so they don't have to try to find/pay an actual franchise QB?

I doubt the FO thinks he is which is why they are paying him a incentive based contract. What FO wouldn't HOPE that any qb they bring in turns out to be their franchise qb?

Cali512
04-01-2013, 04:52 PM

Pay? Wtf you smokin, one of the bills biggest issues is they over pay. Free agents dont come here because we dont give them the money, we almost always win every bidding war and still lose. Teams know we hand out contracts like its candy and thats why we get ****ed so much. Even if Kolb played amazing and led us to the playoffs both years, were gonna probably give him a **** load of money anyways, so even if he is the savior they have to pay the same as if he was a rookie. So that valids mute. And yes, anyones hoping that.

Wouldnt you be happy if Corp was the next Tom Brady? No ****, yes
But no ones expecting it, hoping things and expecting things are different

FO hopes each DE on our team plays like Bruce Smith, but they dont expect them to

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I doubt the FO thinks he is which is why they are paying him a incentive based contract. What FO wouldn't HOPE that any qb they bring in turns out to be their franchise qb?

True, good point.

But it wouldn't shock me if this FO actually thought Kolb was the answer and was just keeping it on the D/L because they know they can't sell it to fans even if they believe it themselves. Of course, that's just speculation on my part, but sadly it wouldn't be the dumbest thing they've done...

better days
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Thank you.

Your welcome.

bf1
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Bumbling Buddy Nix is a doofus.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Pay? Wtf you smokin, one of the bills biggest issues is they over pay. Free agents dont come here because we dont give them the money, we almost always win every bidding war and still lose. Teams know we hand out contracts like its candy and thats why we get ****ed so much. Even if Kolb played amazing and led us to the playoffs both years, were gonna probably give him a **** load of money anyways, so even if he is the savior they have to pay the same as if he was a rookie. So that valids mute. And yes, anyones hoping that.

Wouldnt you be happy if Corp was the next Tom Brady? No ****, yes
But no ones expecting it, hoping things and expecting things are different

FO hopes each DE on our team plays like Bruce Smith, but they dont expect them to

wait, you know we're talking about the Buffalo Bills, right? The team that always has $10+ million in unused cap? The team that lets guys like Levitre walk? The team that signs one big FA every 5 years or so then picks up bottom feeders for the next 4 years?

Cali512
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Um, I don't know what Bills team you watched in 2011 but we didn't have a great OL. We had a decent OL. And we didn't have a lot of weapons. We had head-case Stevie, Jackson and Chandler- that's it. Yes, technically we had Spiller but he didn't do anything in that 4-1 start.

Head case Stevie? Hes not in the least bit a head case.

In 2011 we were number 1 in sacks aloud? lmao
AZ was 31st?

Not saying anymore

Oh and the number 4 rushing team in the NFL.

Cali512
04-01-2013, 04:58 PM
wait, you know we're talking about the Buffalo Bills, right? The team that always has $10+ million in unused cap? The team that lets guys like Levitre walk? The team that signs one big FA every 5 years or so then picks up bottom feeders for the next 4 years?

We overpay for players. We have to, to get them to come here. Its up to the players to sign the contract, we cant force players to come here. Money doesnt talk that loud apparently. You act like we can do whatever we want, like being a GM is a game of Madden.

Cali512
04-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I cant stand the bills but you bash the stupidest parts of them that i have to defend the **** out of them about. We shoudnt be defended about alot of things, but you bash some of the most innocent things the bills do

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Head case Stevie? Hes not in the least bit a head case.

In 2011 we were number 1 in sacks aloud? lmao
AZ was 31st?

Not saying anymore

Oh and the number 4 rushing team in the NFL.

It's "allowed," not "aloud".

Not that it matters. You destroyed your credibility when you said Stevie's not a headcase. 3 dropped game-winning TD's in 2 seasons, all the Twitter crap, the celebration penalties, the dead-ball penalty for kicking the ball- that's head-case stuff.

Cali512
04-01-2013, 05:07 PM
It's "allowed," not "aloud".

Not that it matters. You destroyed your credibility when you said Stevie's not a headcase. 3 dropped game-winning TD's in 2 seasons, all the Twitter crap, the celebration penalties, the dead-ball penalty for kicking the ball- that's head-case stuff.

He didnt do anything last year, and thats all that matters. Hes matured, and as long as that ****s behind him, then i dont care.

I had a feeling it was allowed but i was to lazy to fix it

Jeff1220
04-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Again, nothing really wrong with signing Kolb. The problem is letting the QB situation get to this point when they easily had several different good ones to choose from over the previous three or so offseasons.

Cali512
04-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Again, nothing really wrong with signing Kolb. The problem is letting the QB situation get to this point when they easily had several different good ones to choose from over the previous three or so offseasons.

Right, Kolbs not that bad thing. I dont get *****ing about him being on our team, its not like we really want Travaris or Corp to start? Problem is Tannehill RG3 or Russel sounds amazing right now

THATHURMANATOR
04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
We accept him as a stop gap at worst and backup to a rookie starter at best.

No one has aspirations of him resurecting his career and leading us to the playoffs.

With that said how can anyone be mad we brought the guy in?????

Just two years ago over half the people were drooling over giving up a first round pick for this guy and signing him to a similar contract Arizona gave him.

What has changed in that time? He has actually put up better stats than he did in his time in Philly but has been injured quite often.

Of course Op must start his daily thread about how big of idiots we are. Not even sure why this time.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
He didnt do anything last year, and thats all that matters. Hes matured, and as long as that ****s behind him, then i dont care.

I had a feeling it was allowed but i was to lazy to fix it
He took a dead ball penalty for kicking the ball, something that no one else on our team or any of our opponents were dumb enough to do. If it were a one-time thing I'd let it go, but it's a continuation of the previous pattern with Stevie.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 05:17 PM

No one has aspirations of him resurecting his career and leading us to the playoffs.

Just two years ago over half the people were drooling over giving up a first round pick for this guy and signing him to a similar contract Arizona gave him.

What has changed in that time? He has actually put up better stats than he did in his time in Philly but has been injured quite often.

Of course Op must start his daily thread about how big of idiots we are. Not even sure why this time.

Because we ignore G, LB, CB and WR, then we waste cap space on this guy? It's completely illogical.

Don't blame me for starting threads about how the Bills are a bunch of idiots. Blame the people who are acting like idiots.

BertSquirtgum
04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Dumb thread.

RedEyE
04-01-2013, 06:07 PM
The problem that I have with Kolb is that he will be a FO destraction from getting what the Bills really need. Kolb is that type of QB that will show signs of excellence but never manage to bring his play to the next level.

My fear is the FO will use Kolb as the excuse to not draft a QB and float through to next season only to never see the right guy materialize.

My fear is that the FO will let this guy build subpar longevity. The FO will blame the lack of other contributing components or injury but like his overall potential from his two year tenure in Buffalo. They will sign the guy for a hefty extension only to watch another two seasons **** the bed.

Signing Kolb is not 'bucking the trend'. And at $6 million a year I don't think the Bills are planning on using him as camp fodder.

JoeMama
04-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Is Kolb better than Jackson and Corp? Probably, but that's not saying much. He's not a franchise QB. He's not the guy we need. He's not good- he's good enough.

Kolb is Fitzpatrick 2.0. He's a QB that was OK but never quite caught on elsewhere, then brought here to be the starter.

Kolb's numbers:

Fitz's numbers:

For their careers, Kolb is only half a yard better in yards per attempt, and that's WITH Fitzgerald on his team. Like or hate Stevie, he's no Fitzgerald. Kolb's QB rating is barely 2 points better than Fitz, 78.9 to 76.8. The only area in which Kolb is noticeably better than Fitz is turnovers.

I know, "but it was AZ's OL." Of course, that goes with the mantra of this site of not holding players responsible. "It's not (Stevie, McKelvin, Donte, TJ or other guy the poster likes)'s fault, it's the (QB, coach, coordinator, system, OL, pass rush or other unpopular part of the team)'s fault." Yes, team sports are easier for an individual player when they are on a better team. That's true for every player on every team in every sport at every level, no exceptions. But some players make the players around them better, and some players need better players around them. Kolb is yet another one of the latter.

It's easier to blame AZ's OL. It's more pleasant than accepting the reality that we still don't have our franchise QB. It's more pleasant than accepting the reality that our FO that has made so many mistakes in the past has made yet another one. It can't be that our new QB is just like our old one. It has to be AZ's OL.

And let's not forget that we lost a great starting G and our only halfway decent backup. And our T's and OL depth weren't the greatest last year....

And let's not forget that Kolb tends to get injured, which means we're right back to starting TJax, only with $6 million of cap space flushed down the toilet instead of being used on a G or LB or CB or WR.

We need a franchise QB. There isn't one available. So, we did what we always do in Buffalo: settled for what's left. And we did it at the expense of filling another hole. Kolb's on the team now and I hope he succeeds. I hope he becomes a franchise QB. There is just no logical reason to expect it to happen. It's still Groundhog Day in Buffalo.

+2

Simpsons and Groundhog Day references in the same post. I like, I like.

The Krusty brand seal of approval would be such a perfect new logo for this team.

"You can always find it on products which meet the high personal standards of Krusty the Klown."

JoeMama
04-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Dumb thread.

Friend, you're on a warpath.

Us Kolb naysayers seem to displease you profoundly.

We're not such bad guys!

DraftBoy
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
For the love of God...We could sign Drew friggin Brees and you'd find something to complain about. Its a zero risk move that at worst gives us a veteran backup who can spot start. At best he shows something and could be dealt next offseason like Flynn for a draft pick or two.

There are more than just two sides to deal.

GingerP
04-01-2013, 06:37 PM
For the love of God...We could sign Drew friggin Brees and you'd find something to complain about.

I'm pretty sure he'd be OK with Brees.

He has a point. Kolb has been a bum. They needed a vet and took a shot on him and maybe it works. It isn't saying the signing was terrible, just that once they sign him people start making excuses for why he flamed out in Arizona. Shows how desperate the situation is after 13 years, people convince themselves that Kolb might actually be a good QB. Same thing that they did with Fitz before the bottom fell out.

Bone
04-01-2013, 06:40 PM
1. Kolb is the best quarterback we have right now on this team.
2. When the Bills draft a quarterback,whether its in the first or second round, Kolb is at worst our back up.

DraftBoy
04-01-2013, 06:46 PM

He has a point. Kolb has been a bum. They needed a vet and took a shot on him and maybe it works. It isn't saying the signing was terrible, just that once they sign him people start making excuses for why he flamed out in Arizona. Shows how desperate the situation is after 13 years, people convince themselves that Kolb might actually be a good QB. Same thing that they did with Fitz before the bottom fell out.

He wasn't having that bad of a season prior to his injury. People are fixating on 2011 and that was horrendous. Looked more composed in 2012.

SpikedLemonade
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
People just need to accept that we are going to be 2-14 bad this year and not take each move to get there with anger.

We have done the 5-11 to 7-9 route and it does not work.

Do you remember when homer-sexuals would say that those meaningless wins in December in a non-play-off season were soooo important to teach a young team how to win.

It does not work that way.

Memories in the NFL are short.

Lets just take our poison this year with our new coach, hit rock bottom and rebuild it properly.

Have we not learned anything from these past 13 years.

Albany,n.y.
04-01-2013, 07:01 PM

1st off the last thing I care about are a QBs stats-QB stats seldom tell the story-just look at some of Rob Johnson's stats that made him look good on paper. Guys who can't read defenses or have no pocket awareness can still look good using QB stats.
My main knock against Kolb is that John freakin' Skelton beat him out in 2011 for the starting job and the Cards were losing a lot of games when Kolb started-Wins & Losses-the right way to evaluate one QB vs another & Kolb failed in 2011. Now Kolb did start 4-0 in 2012 before things started falling apart & then he got injured, so he sort of redeemed himself in 2012 before he "Rob Johnsoned" the rest of the season.

That said, I don't mind the signing-that's because I don't want the team using any early picks on a QB, in what is a barren draft. Since we've spent so many years looking for a QB & a winning team, I'm willing to sacrifice 1 more lousy season if it means finally getting a franchise QB in the draft in 2014.

One more thing. If Geno Smith turns into the real deal & we miss him because of the meaningless win in the season finale against the Jets, I don't want to hear any of the people who call fans who root for meaningless game losses rather than wins "losers" because they can't tell the difference between a player's responsibility to win and a fan's hope for the long term good of the team say anything next December if we have a shot at a draft slot that will get us a franchise QB.

BertSquirtgum
04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
1. Kolb is the best quarterback we have right now on this team.
2. When the Bills draft a quarterback,whether its in the first or second round, Kolb is at worst our back up.

You're being realistic. Stop making logical sense.

TacklingDummy
04-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Look at me.

I hate every move the Bills make.

justasportsfan
04-01-2013, 08:00 PM
True, good point.

But it wouldn't shock me if this FO actually thought Kolb was the answer ...

Cmon now. If they thought he was the answer they would have traded for him and made sure he would not hit the market and they would have not created an incentive based contract. Even if he hits the incentives, would he be making as much as the contract extension that Fitz signed which was average qb salary? I doubt it.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 08:04 PM
For the love of God...We could sign Drew friggin Brees and you'd find something to complain about. Its a zero risk move that at worst gives us a veteran backup who can spot start. At best he shows something and could be dealt next offseason like Flynn for a draft pick or two.

Nothing that eats $6 million in cap space on a team with 5 major holes and very limited cap space is "zero risk"

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Look at me.

I hate every move the Bills make.

Yeah, I do because at least 95% of them are very hateable.

And you guys always give me crap about it, and then the moves suck and halfway through the season you're all *****ing about the same things.

It's not about me, though. It's about the team and this is yet another crappy move.

JoeMama
04-01-2013, 08:12 PM

I don't mind taking risks.

Kolb's injury history is what concerns me most.

http://www.kffl.com/player/16102/nfl/injury_history/kevin-kolb

The guy has never come close making it a full season. And it's not like all these injuries are a fluke. When a guy suffers a relatively significant injury year in year out, it constitutes a pattern. Either his body can't handle the physicality of the game and/or something is wrong with his style of play (EG; holding the ball too long, lacking pocket presence).

To add insult to injury... Even on the rare occasions when Kolb is healthy, he's losing QB battles vs John Skelton and Michael Vick.

To me, he seems like an expensive yet unreliable backup. I don't see this ending well for us or him.

DraftBoy
04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Nothing that eats $6 million in cap space on a team with 5 major holes and very limited cap space is "zero risk"

And when its not eating six million and you again look like an over reacting ding bat?

DraftBoy
04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't mind taking risks.

Kolb's injury history is what concerns me most.

http://www.kffl.com/player/16102/nfl/injury_history/kevin-kolb

The guy has never come close making it a full season. And it's not like all these injuries are a fluke. When a guy suffers a relatively significant injury year in year out, it constitutes a pattern. Either his body can't handle the physicality of the game and/or something is wrong with his style of play (EG; holding the ball too long, lacking pocket presence).

To add insult to injury... Even on the rare occasions when Kolb is healthy, he's losing QB battles vs John Skelton and Michael Vick.

To me, he seems like an expensive yet unreliable backup. I don't see this ending well for us or him.

Agreed on the injury part, but keep in mind the Arizona line the last two years. Sack numbers among the highest in the league.

He beat Skelton out of camp last year and was the starter till getting hurt. If we're going to knock him for losing the job to Skelton can we also credit him for winning it back?

JoeMama
04-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Agreed on the injury part, but keep in mind the Arizona line the last two years. Sack numbers among the highest in the league.

He beat Skelton out of camp last year and was the starter till getting hurt. If we're going to knock him for losing the job to Skelton can we also credit him for winning it back?

I think you have it backwards. Skelton won the QB competition and started the opener. An injury opened the door for Kolb.

As critical as I sound about Kolb, my real frustration is with the organization. I'm worried they're going to cross QB off their list now that they have Kolb. That would be a mistake.

Mouldsie
04-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Kolb was not signed as the savior.... He was signed so we aren't completely pissing away 2013.... and passing on a QB in this draft wouldn't be such a bad thing IMO.

JoeMama
04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Kolb was not signed as the savior.... He was signed so we aren't completely pissing away 2013.... and passing on a QB in this draft wouldn't be such a bad thing IMO.

So many fans were pleading for OBD to select a QB in the 2nd/3rd round the past three years when the talent was deep. Alas, the incompetent people in this organization said NEIN!

The little black cloud that follows this team around is relentless.

What a sad yet predictable coincidence that the one year we finally resolve to pursue a franchise QB just happens to be the worst QB class in decades.

I don't know what the Bills did to displease the football gods (benching Flutie?) but our punishment is very real.

feldspar
04-01-2013, 09:26 PM
he had two years in Arizona.....

But it'll be different in Buffalo, right? Doing the same thing and expecting different results ALWAYS works.....

I already get a sense of what your problem is. People just aren't *****ing, crying and moaning enough for you. That's all you do, and you project your whining onto everything. People aren't angry enough. Maybe you can create a circle-jerk of your pussy-ass friends, and you can cry into one another's sleeves all night long, every single day.

Guess what? The Bills put themselves in this bad spot, and now they have to deal with the reality of it. It's something called reality. The options are limited. They can't go out and invent quarterbacks to pick up just because they need one at this point. The bed was made, and now they must lie in it. It's really pretty simple: there were no serious options in free agency to take over the franchise QB duties for this team this year. Continue to weep about how the Bills should have picked up a QB before, but guess what? They didn't. Reality strikes again. Who should they draft at QB? Serious question...now if you don't have the answer, you'll probably ***** about it no matter WHO they draft.

Get over it. The Bills are in THIS spot. They must act from exactly where they currently are. Crybabies never overcome adversity.

Of course, this is true...but, of course, all you are going to hear is me being "apologetic" to Buddy Nix, or whoever the ***. You are so obtuse as to think that, which couldn't be further from the truth. Nobody can defend what has been going on with this team. I was clear in what I said, right? Nobody can defend what has been going on with this team. But there was nobody there for us to take at QB in free agency...everybody that is picking high and needs a QB is covering their bases this year, too. The QB draft class is questionable.

Now, when you say that I "accept mediocrity," what you are actually saying is that I'm not *****ing, crying, and moaning enough for you. Cry me a river...I'm surprised you haven't drowned in your own tears yet.

God forbid that you actually see WHY they picked up Kolb, who nobody really wants to start at QB for the Bills this year. Can you tell me WHY they picked up Kolb, besides "they suck," and this is further proof of this travesty of an organization?

Tell me what the Bills SHOULD have done at the QB position this year? Friggin' Fitzpatrick was pretty much the best free agent out there this year when we let him go. Of course, you ***** and moan that the Bills don't pick anybody up, and then when they do, you cry about THAT player, as if it's raining quality players for free.

Before we go any further, who do you think that the Bills should draft? Any QBs in mind? Be specific, so I know when to hand over the Kleenex.

justasportsfan
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Now, when you say that I "accept mediocrity," what you are actually saying is that I'm not *****ing, crying, and moaning enough for you.

this

Mike
04-01-2013, 09:46 PM
As long as this move does not get in the way of our 2-14 or worse season, then it does not bother me.

We do not need another 5-11 or 6-10 season.

Ohhh But it WILL and when Johnny Football comes out next year and were picking 8th again, those of you who supported the move can pat yourselves on the back for winning the extra 3 games while we miss out on yet another great QB because we you too short sited to see that its better to suck for a year and getting Luck than win an extra 3 games!

Bills fans prepare to enjoy another 13 years of being bellow average.

Mouldsie
04-01-2013, 09:47 PM
So many fans were pleading for OBD to select a QB in the 2nd/3rd round the past three years when the talent was deep. Alas, the incompetent people in this organization said NEIN!

The little black cloud that follows this team around is relentless.

What a sad yet predictable coincidence that the one year we finally resolve to pursue a franchise QB just happens to be the worst QB class in decades.

I don't know what the Bills did to displease the football gods (benching Flutie?) but our punishment is very real.

Next year looks like a potentially deep talent pool at QB... and yet Kolb may just have so much to prove that he guts out an 8-8 season leaving us to take from a group that the 15 teams ahead of us passed on, rather than getting our pick of the litter.... thus ensuring that we fumble it away on another JP Losman.... sigh....

Oh and the guy that Philly takes 2 picks after us will make a pro bowl....

JoeMama
04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I already get a sense of what your problem is. People just aren't *****ing, crying and moaning enough for you. That's all you do, and you project your whining onto everything. People aren't angry enough. Maybe you can create a circle-jerk of your pussy-ass friends, and you can cry into one another's sleeves all night long, every single day.

Guess what? The Bills put themselves in this bad spot, and now they have to deal with the reality of it. It's something called reality. The options are limited. They can't go out and invent quarterbacks to pick up just because they need one at this point. The bed was made, and now they must lie in it. It's really pretty simple: there were no serious options in free agency to take over the franchise QB duties for this team this year. Continue to weep about how the Bills should have picked up a QB before, but guess what? They didn't. Reality strikes again. Who should they draft at QB? Serious question...now if you don't have the answer, you'll probably ***** about it no matter WHO they draft.

Get over it. The Bills are in THIS spot. They must act from exactly where they currently are. Crybabies never overcome adversity.

Of course, this is true...but, of course, all you are going to hear is me being "apologetic" to Buddy Nix, or whoever the ***. You are so obtuse as to think that, which couldn't be further from the truth. Nobody can defend what has been going on with this team. I was clear in what I said, right? Nobody can defend what has been going on with this team. But there was nobody there for us to take at QB in free agency...everybody that is picking high and needs a QB is covering their bases this year, too. The QB draft class is questionable.

Now, when you say that I "accept mediocrity," what you are actually saying is that I'm not *****ing, crying, and moaning enough for you. Cry me a river...I'm surprised you haven't drowned in your own tears yet.

God forbid that you actually see WHY they picked up Kolb, who nobody really wants to start at QB for the Bills this year. Can you tell me WHY they picked up Kolb, besides "they suck," and this is further proof of this travesty of an organization?

Tell me what the Bills SHOULD have done at the QB position this year? Friggin' Fitzpatrick was pretty much the best free agent out there this year when we let him go. Of course, you ***** and moan that the Bills don't pick anybody up, and then when they do, you cry about THAT player, as if it's raining quality players for free.

Before we go any further, who do you think that the Bills should draft? Any QBs in mind? Be specific, so I know when to hand over the Kleenex.

You should be very proud.

You're not fazed by 13 years of incompetent buffoonery. But apparently you ARE easily rattled when a fan points out why we suck? What?

That's like finding out the guy at McDonald's has been spitting on your Big Mac for 13 years. But you're not mad at McDonald's. You're mad at the guy who won't eat there because he recognizes there's spit in everything.

Also LOLZ @ "now they have to deal with the reality of it. It's something called reality."

better days
04-01-2013, 09:55 PM

You're not fazed by 13 years of incompetent buffoonery. But apparently you ARE easily rattled when a fan points out why we suck? What?

That's like finding out the guy at McDonald's has been spitting on your Big Mac for 13 years. But you're not mad at McDonald's. You're mad at the guy who won't eat there because he recognizes there's spit in everything.

Also LOLZ @ "now they have to deal with the reality of it. It's something called reality."

If you or anyone else want to leave this resturant feel fee to do so.

Mike
04-01-2013, 09:57 PM

Kolb's numbers:

Fitz's numbers:

To your point, Kurt Warner took the Cardinals to the Superbowl with a mediocre O-Line! I live in AZ and I can tell you Kolb is a slightly better version of JP Losman! Great Arm, mobile, but can not play the position at a high level. Its not the line, its mostly him.

Where I disagree with OPiV is that this fan base does not merely support Mediocrity, they embrace it, thinking that Kolb is the next Gannon and that Kevin Everette is the next Gates.
Every player this team gets is a good to great addition.
Every player our rivals get is flawed in some way.
Every player we let go is addition through subtraction.
We build via the draft but let our best players walk
We support the Bills in saving money -as if it were our own.
We take the teams side when they are cheap
And we fall hook line and sinker when smoke screens are thrown up

Ironically, those who call a spade a spade are 'negative' and year after year irrational exuberance gets the best of you as if by some wild miracle the more you Billieve in the Bills the more they will win, as if the universe really worked this way.

Mike
04-01-2013, 10:00 PM

I live in AZ and have watched Kolb. The o-line was bad, really bad, but even when he had time he held the ball way too long. He is not a good QB, average at best. Even in Philadelphia he was an up and down guy and THIS VERY MESSAGE BOARD WAS AGAINST KOLB *AFTER* THE CARDS TRADED FOR HIM TWO YEARS AGO -and that was before it was shown how bad he is. Lastly, he is made of glass!

Captain Obvious
04-01-2013, 10:05 PM

He thinks the bills should take Ryan Nassib or Tyler Wilson in the 2nd Round.. He probably wont give a name or names on who he would like to see the Bills take with the 8th pick

ServoBillieves
04-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Thank you for using my old avatar in the initial post.

Past that, I pity the people who think Kolb is the answer, but do not understand the people who are frustrated with the signing. It's a freaking quarterback that wasn't named Corp or Jackson. Pretty sure that should put a smile on any of the most pessimistic fans. There was no one in the free agency pool or in this draft that was the answer, so any signing is some form of news for Bills fans to be happy about.

We will overdraft a QB, he will make us miserable, and THEN we can complain... but until then, we just signed a veteran QB who isn't as incompetent as Mr. Fitzpatrick. If he is "the answer" down the road, then we've already known how ****ing stupid the front office is, but this seems like a chip in the Bills favor to whatever QB is drafted to say "Hey, we don't trust you, prove your ****ing worth or get out."

Not much of a chip, but one nonetheless.

Mike
04-01-2013, 10:09 PM

I agree with you 100%
Its not about the signing but how the fan base is responding...
The only negative from this signing is that it might prevent us from really hitting rock bottom and having the opportunity to draft a top rated QB in next years draft/or following draft. It prolonges our status as a mediocre team, not good enough for .500 not bad enough for top 2 pick.

feldspar
04-01-2013, 10:13 PM

Bull****.

I'm not happy about it either, but I ain't no crybaby about it. You got these *****es out there telling me that I'm "accepting mediocrity" because they want to hear me weep more.

Your McDonald's analogy makes no sense.

Yeah, it's all about reality, Joe. Perhaps you did not understand my post at all...you haven't shown you have. Kolb was the best thing out there in free agency. We got him, but I'm supposed to be pissed that we didn't get somebody better, even though there was nobody...definition of a crybaby. You can't get what's not there. Like I said, Fitzy was about the best guy on the market when we cut him...then along comes Kolb. Where does reality fit in? We can cry about the past 13 years all we want, but we are still in this same situation.

Get over it. Some of you people are incredible pussies that are shocked and amazed that everybody else is not also a crybaby.

JoeMama
04-01-2013, 10:14 PM
If you or anyone else want to leave this resturant feel fee to do so.

I'm not the guy who wants to stop eating there. I'm the guy who wants the boss to hire people who don't spit in the food.

Big difference.

I'm the most slavishly devoted Bills fan on the face of the earth. I'm not going anywhere.

I'm just responding to the misdirected anger in this thread. I'm not mad at Bills fans who point out our shortcomings. I'm mad at the owner/front office who create our shortcomings.

So much misdirected frustration in this thread.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 10:18 PM

Nothing.

They should have done absolutely nothing.

You want to talk about reality? Here's the reality: 2013 is tanked. It's done. We have no chance. So, use the cap space to improve other positions and let TJax suck it up at QB. Kolb's going to suck it up too, so that money might as well go someplace useful.

And the problem isn't that people aren't *****ing. The problem is that people are actually defending the nonsensical garbage that we get from the FO. It's not about me. It's about this team getting wins. And it sickens me when I see people who call themselves "fans" supporting this bull****. Yeah, everyone attacks me now, but wait for 6 games. If Kolb's even still on the field, all the same people attacking me in this thread will be *****ing about him too.

BertSquirtgum
04-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Hate to break it to some of you but rock bottom was last year folks. There's too much talent on the team to be anywhere near the first pick next year.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
And when its not eating six million and you again look like an over reacting ding bat?

so how much is it eating? No matter what the answer is, it's still money that should be spent elsewhere. There is no excuse for Nix sitting there with his thumb up his ass in FA until this move. The team has too many holes and this move has too little chance of being beneficial.

JoeMama
04-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Bull****.

I'm not happy about it either, but I ain't no crybaby about it. You got these *****es out there telling me that I'm "accepting mediocrity" because they want to hear me weep more.

You're McDonald's analogy makes no sense.

Yeah, it's all about reality, Joe. Perhaps you did not understand my post at all...you haven't shown you have. Kolb was the best thing out there in free agency. We got him, but I'm supposed to be pissed that we didn't get somebody better, even though there was nobody...definition of a crybaby. You can't get what's not there. Like I said, Fitzy was about the best guy on the market when we cut him...then along comes Kolb. Where does reality fit in? We can cry about the past 13 years all we want, but we are still in this same situation.

Get over it. Some of you people are incredible pussies that are shocked and amazed that everybody else is not also a crybaby.

The irony is that you're whining about whiners.

If you wanna ***** about stuff, be my guest. That's why these forums exist.

Just don't be shocked when someone thinks you're a creep and a weirdo for stamping your little fists and calling everyone else a pussy.

Nobody's impressed by internet tough guys.

feldspar
04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Nothing.

You want to talk about reality? Here's the reality: 2013 is tanked. It's done. We have no chance. So, use the cap space to improve other positions and let TJax suck it up at QB. Kolb's going to suck it up too, so that money might as well go someplace useful.

And the problem isn't that people aren't *****ing. The problem is that people are actually defending the nonsensical garbage that we get from the FO. It's not about me. It's about this team getting wins. And it sickens me when I see people who call themselves "fans" supporting this bull****. Yeah, everyone attacks me now, but wait for 6 games. If Kolb's even still on the field, all the same people attacking me in this thread will be *****ing about him too.

Chances are the Bills won't be good again this year. Way to put yourself out there on a limb, Chicken Little.

You *****, whine, and moan like a crybaby, but if the front office (who is like Satan himself) ever thought that the season was "done" in March or April, then you'd really have something to ball, whine, cry, and complain about. And NOBODY is defending the front office here. We've all seen the games.

The Kolb signing is perfectly understandable. I don't condone it, nor am I happy about the prospect of his starting...I understand it. Who EXACTLY should the Bills pick up, Darrius Heyward-Bey on a 2-year contract? That oughta put us over the top. Tell me EXACTLY who we should have picked up instead of Kolb, and be specific. But of course it's about YOU when you are describing your own attitude and how you feel. I'd *****-slap you to question whether I was a fan or not...that'll give you something to cry about. Accepting mediocrity is giving no competition to the likes of Tarvaris Jackson without a fight...THAT'S accepting mediocrity.

Yeah, the so-called fans just don't ***** enough for you...bottom line. Go fly a kite.

feldspar
04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
The irony is that you're whining about whiners.

If you wanna ***** about stuff, be my guest. That's why these forums exist.

Just don't be shocked when someone thinks you're a creep and a weirdo for stamping your little fists and calling everyone else a pussy.

Nobody's impressed by internet tough guys.

I don't care.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Chances are the Bills won't be good again this year. Way to put yourself out there on a limb, Chicken Little.

You *****, whine, and moan like a crybaby, but if the front office (who is like Satan himself) ever thought that the season was "done" in March or April, then you'd really have something to ball, whine, cry, and complain about. And NOBODY is defending the front office here. We've all seen the games.

The Kolb signing is perfectly understandable. I don't condone it, nor am I happy about the prospect of his starting...I understand it. Who EXACTLY should the Bills pick up, Darrius Heyward-Bey on a 2-year contract? That oughta put us over the top. Tell me EXACTLY who we should have picked up instead of Kolb, and be specific. But of course it's about YOU when you are describing your own attitude and how you feel. I'd *****-slap you to question whether I was a fan or not...that'll give you something to cry about. Accepting mediocrity is giving no competition to the likes of Tarvaris Jackson without a fight...THAT'S accepting mediocrity.

Yeah, the so-called fans just don't ***** enough for you...bottom line. Go fly a kite.

Accepting TJax is accepting the reality, not accepting mediocrity. We are not getting our QB this year, so there is no sense in wasting additional limited resources on Kolb. That's reality. Thinking Kolb is something better than TJax is accepting mediocrity.

And then there's this:

"No one is defending the front office and I don't like the signing but I understand it."

Um, that IS defending the front office. There is nothing understandable about this move.

better days
04-01-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm not the guy who wants to stop eating there. I'm the guy who wants the boss to hire people who don't spit in the food.

Big difference.

I'm the most slavishly devoted Bills fan on the face of the earth. I'm not going anywhere.

I'm just responding to the misdirected anger in this thread. I'm not mad at Bills fans who point out our shortcomings. I'm mad at the owner/front office who create our shortcomings.

So much misdirected frustration in this thread.

Here is the deal. We ALL saw the guy spit in the burger. You are not telling us anything we don't already know. But we have 20 minutes left to eat lunch & no other resturants around. Take the top bun off & inspect (QB competition in camp) thats all we can do, or go hungry ( not signing Kolb.)

JoeMama
04-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Here is the deal. We ALL saw the guy spit in the burger. You are not telling us anything we don't already know. But we have 20 minutes left to eat lunch & no other resturants around. Take the top bun off & inspect (QB competition in camp) thats all we can do, or go hungry ( not signing Kolb.)

I didn't think my MccyD's analogy could be stretched to such rhetorical limits.

It's really taken on a life of it's own. I'm impressed.

I was going to respond with "nobody's forcing you to listen to the guy's advice" then I realized this charade has gone too far already.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 10:43 PM

I'd rather go hungry than eat a spit burger. The reality is that we can either be hungry now or eat the spit burger and be hungry again in half an hour.

feldspar
04-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Accepting TJax is accepting the reality, not accepting mediocrity. We are not getting our QB this year, so there is no sense in wasting additional limited resources on Kolb. That's reality. Thinking Kolb is something better than TJax is accepting mediocrity.

And then there's this:

"No one is defending the front office and I don't like the signing but I understand it."

Um, that IS defending the front office. There is nothing understandable about this move.

So, what you are basically saying is that for you not to pigeonhole anybody as "accepting mediocrity," we should instead have a defeatist attitude...then we are A.O.K.

Got it.

That's much better. What you just described is how a loser thinks.

psubills62
04-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Hope no one has hay fever. Seems to be a lot of straw men getting destroyed ITT.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 10:52 PM
So, what you are basically saying is that for you not to pigeonhole anybody as "accepting mediocrity," we should instead have a defeatist attitude...then we are A.O.K.

Got it.

That's much better. What you just described is how a loser thinks.

lmao. Reality is reality.

We're still losers with Kolb- we're just losers with less cap space.

better days
04-01-2013, 11:00 PM
I'd rather go hungry than eat a spit burger. The reality is that we can either be hungry now or eat the spit burger and be hungry again in half an hour.

Well, enough of the McCrap. If you don't think the Bills should have signed Kolb you WANT mediocrity for this year, at least the likely prospect of mediocrity. The Bills have a much better chance to win with Kolb than without him.
BUT with Pettine & his aggressive defense as well as MANY good players on the team the Bills will win at least 6 games this year no matter who plays QB. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to bottom out bad enough to get the 1st or 2nd pick in the next draft.

And I could understand people saying Kolb can't stay healthy & I would have to agree that he hasn't in his career, but to call him a bad QB is a false statement. I have heard MANY UNBIASED non Bills fans on Sirius talk about Kolb & his signing.

NOBODY is saying he is a BAD QB. The vast majority of people expect him to win the starting job. I think I heard ONE person say he thought TJax had a CHANCE to win it. But MANY people are saying the Bills will most likely still draft a QB HIGH even with his signing.

And if Kolb does not stay healthy or the Rookie beats him out, he will be a CHEAP signing.

feldspar
04-01-2013, 11:02 PM

WTF? You have all these huge ideas, I press the issue, and then you say the Bills should not even try. That's called having your spit-filled burger and eating it too.

You just told me that you have a defeatist attitude. The only thing left is to *****, cry and moan. And you STILL haven't told me who the Bills should have gotten in free agency this year..."pick up some guys" Yeah, that should do the trick.

QB is the most important position in all sports, we don't have one, so we try to improve the position with the best that is out there by way of competition. THAT'S reality, asswipe. We aren't betting the farm on Kolb or anything of the sort, anyway. It's not THAT big of a deal to get him. Is it the end of the world?

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Well, enough of the McCrap. If you don't think the Bills should have signed Kolb you WANT mediocrity for this year, at least the likely prospect of mediocrity. The Bills have a much better chance to win with Kolb than without him.
BUT with Pettine & his aggressive defense as well as MANY good players on the team the Bills will win at least 6 games this year no matter who plays QB. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to bottom out bad enough to get the 1st or 2nd pick in the next draft.

And I could understand people saying Kolb can't stay healthy & I would have to agree that he hasn't in his career, but to call him a bad QB is a false statement. I have heard MANY UNBIASED non Bills fans on Sirius talk about Kolb & his signing.

NOBODY is saying he is a BAD QB. The vast majority of people expect him to win the starting job. I think I heard ONE person say he thought TJax had a CHANCE to win it. But MANY people are saying the Bills will most likely still draft a QB HIGH even with his signing.

And if Kolb does not stay healthy or the Rookie beats him out, he will be a CHEAP signing.

Look at Kolb's stats. He is mediocrity. I've already shown that he's barely better than Fitz by any objective measure. TJax doesn't have a chance to win but neither does Kolb.

And drafting a QB high and signing Kolb is throwing good resources after bad.

Some of you just can't accept the reality that the QB we need simply isn't available.

OpIv37
04-01-2013, 11:19 PM
WTF? You have all these huge ideas, I press the issue, and then you say the Bills should not even try. That's called having your spit-filled burger and eating it too.

You just told me that you have a defeatist attitude. The only thing left is to *****, cry and moan. And you STILL haven't told me who the Bills should have gotten in free agency this year..."pick up some guys" Yeah, that should do the trick.

QB is the most important position in all sports, we don't have one, so we try to improve the position with the best that is out there by way of competition. THAT'S reality, asswipe. We aren't betting the farm on Kolb or anything of the sort, anyway. It's not THAT big of a deal to get him. Is it the end of the world?

Lmao.

I never said the Bills shouldn't try. I never said QB wasn't the most important position. The problem with people like you is that you don't realize that simply throwing resources at the QB position does NOT automatically mean we have upgraded or found the answer.

And until we do something else in FA then we ARE betting the farm on Kolb. We have 4 other major holes that haven't been properly addressed. And for that matter, QB hasn't been properly addressed by signing Kolb.

It's stupid to assume that not signing Kolb means not trying. Forcing the issue at QB when the guy we need simply isn't available doesn't constitute "trying." It constitutes mediocrity and desperation.

better days
04-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Look at Kolb's stats. He is mediocrity. I've already shown that he's barely better than Fitz by any objective measure. TJax doesn't have a chance to win but neither does Kolb.

And drafting a QB high and signing Kolb is throwing good resources after bad.

Some of you just can't accept the reality that the QB we need simply isn't available.

Kolb & TJax will fight it out in camp along with the Rookie. I have read that the loser between Kolb & TJax gets CUT. So the REALITY is TJax will most likely get cut.

If the Rookie can beat out Kolb GREAT, Kolb will be a MUCH cheaper back up than Fitz would have been. Barring a Kurt Warner like miracle, Kolb will start until the Rookie is ready.

I Don't see why ANYONE has a problem with this. If Kolb stays healthy enough to start 16 games, he will be a cheap enough starting QB until the rookie is ready to take over. If Kolb gets hurt or the Rookie beats him out, Kolb will be a better backup than many teams have & he will be paid as a back up. I read the Seahawks may be looking at Thigpen as a back up & NO that is not an April fools joke.

feldspar
04-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Lmao.

I never said the Bills shouldn't try. I never said QB wasn't the most important position. The problem with people like you is that you don't realize that simply throwing resources at the QB position does NOT automatically mean we have upgraded or found the answer.

And until we do something else in FA then we ARE betting the farm on Kolb. We have 4 other major holes that haven't been properly addressed. And for that matter, QB hasn't been properly addressed by signing Kolb.

It's stupid to assume that not signing Kolb means not trying. Forcing the issue at QB when the guy we need simply isn't available doesn't constitute "trying." It constitutes mediocrity and desperation.

You say that the Bills shouldn't even try to improve their QB situation, basically. You say specifically that we aren't getting our guy in the draft, and we shouldn't be getting one in free agency either, considering your high-pitched whine when we get perhaps the most workable one out there. I said that the QB was the most important position in all sports...I didn't need a prompt from you to say that. Thanks for telling me what the problem with people like me are. I appreciate that, because I had no idea. The problem with people like you is that you're a freakin' crybaby, and you start crying more when others don't follow your endless crying fit.

Also, if you do nothing, nothing will improve. Kolb is here to compete...he hasn't earned anything yet. I don't know the details of his or Jackson's contracts, do you? Both these guys may not even be on the team week 1, and I don't know what kind of scheme the new coaching staff is looking to run, do you? The important thing about QB is that you keep trying. If you wait until you are 100% sure that you get it right, you wind up with Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

We AREN'T betting the team on Kolb no matter what. If he doesn't start, I bet we aren't even paying him all that much. The idea is to TRY to upgrade constantly, especially at QB. Are you just trying to be argumentative, or what? Signing Kolb means that they are trying to create a competition or upgrade the situation...NOT signing Kolb means what? Status quo. Again, you're like "do something else in free agency." WHAT EXACTLY IS IT THAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO? Which particular players do you want them to get? Magical people?

Here is what you think, anyway:

Nothing.

You want to talk about reality? Here's the reality: 2013 is tanked. It's done. We have no chance.

Have a good time, asswipe.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Kolb & TJax will fight it out in camp along with the Rookie. I have read that the loser between Kolb & TJax gets CUT. So the REALITY is TJax will most likely get cut.

If the Rookie can beat out Kolb GREAT, Kolb will be a MUCH cheaper back up than Fitz would have been. Barring a Kurt Warner like miracle, Kolb will start until the Rookie is ready.

I Don't see why ANYONE has a problem with this. If Kolb stays healthy enough to start 16 games, he will be a cheap enough starting QB until the rookie is ready to take over. If Kolb gets hurt or the Rookie beats him out, Kolb will be a better backup than many teams have & he will be paid as a back up. I read the Seahawks may be looking at Thigpen as a back up & NO that is not an April fools joke.

The same is true about TJax, only TJax is much cheaper, and best case scenario is Kolb gets us to 4 wins while TJax gets us to two.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 12:21 AM
You say that the Bills shouldn't even try to improve their QB situation, basically. You say specifically that we aren't getting our guy in the draft, and we shouldn't be getting one in free agency either, considering your high-pitched whine when we get perhaps the most workable one out there. I said that the QB was the most important position in all sports...I didn't need a prompt from you to say that. Thanks for telling me what the problem with people like me are. I appreciate that, because I had no idea. The problem with people like you is that you're a freakin' crybaby, and you start crying more when others don't follow your endless crying fit.

Also, if you do nothing, nothing will improve. Kolb is here to compete...he hasn't earned anything yet. I don't know the details of his or Jackson's contracts, do you? Both these guys may not even be on the team week 1, and I don't know what kind of scheme the new coaching staff is looking to run, do you? The important thing about QB is that you keep trying. If you wait until you are 100% sure that you get it right, you wind up with Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

We AREN'T betting the team on Kolb no matter what. If he doesn't start, I bet we aren't even paying him all that much. The idea is to TRY to upgrade constantly, especially at QB. Are you just trying to be argumentative, or what? Signing Kolb means that they are trying to create a competition or upgrade the situation...NOT signing Kolb means what? Status quo. Again, you're like "do something else in free agency." WHAT EXACTLY IS IT THAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO? Which particular players do you want them to get? Magical people?

Here is what you think, anyway:

Have a good time, asswipe.

"Most workable" doesn't mean good. You are not advocating improvement. You are simply advocating taking the best option available at any cost, no matter how bad it is.

I'm not against trying to upgrade. I'm against signing proven failures and trying to pass it off as an attempt to upgrade. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid from OBD.

TedMock
04-02-2013, 05:45 AM

And then there's this:

C'mon. Now you're just arguing for the hell of it. These are illogical statements. If one thinks Kolb is better than TJax they are accepting mediocrity? That's ridiculous. It's like saying "you don't like ham, therefore you must like turkey." It's just not a rational conclusion. Same with saying understanding ones opinion or action, but disagreeing with them means you're defending them. No it doesn't. It's something that happens in life every day and shows that you are thinking out all angles, respectively disagreeing, and having the maturity to understand the situation. It's not a simple "if-then."

Night Train
04-02-2013, 06:39 AM
To me, he's only a short term hedge until someone is drafted and gets acclimated to the new Offense Marrone/Hackett are running.

Bills are rebuilding the O and a journeyman Vet holding down the fort short term, is commonplace. Why should a new coach be shorthanded initially at the key position ?

Assumptions here are very premature. Let's give Marrone a chance and see what the roster looks before declaring his tenure a disaster 15 minutes after arrival, based on the recent past he had nothing to do with.

DraftBoy
04-02-2013, 07:07 AM
I think you have it backwards. Skelton won the QB competition and started the opener. An injury opened the door for Kolb.

As critical as I sound about Kolb, my real frustration is with the organization. I'm worried they're going to cross QB off their list now that they have Kolb. That would be a mistake.
You are correct. My apologies.

DraftBoy
04-02-2013, 07:11 AM
so how much is it eating? No matter what the answer is, it's still money that should be spent elsewhere. There is no excuse for Nix sitting there with his thumb up his ass in FA until this move. The team has too many holes and this move has too little chance of being beneficial.

You're so full of ****.

You act like we don't have an entire draft, a Free Agency period that is still ongoing, and a trade market available to fill any needs. If this was August 1 and the Bills were doing then we'd agree, but on April 1 with so much left to get done? Utterly ridiculous how fast you are to fly off the handle for them signing a QB with starting experience to simply compete. Yes they have holes at OLB, DE, WR, OG, and QB but you act like they just signed another RB to go along with Choice an ignored every need. Kolb is likely not the answer (you never say never) but at least they are bringing him in over bums like Byron Leftwich.

It's a solid signing, its not great and its not bad. Any reaction otherwise is short sighted and fueled by issues with the team in general and not with the move itself.

better days
04-02-2013, 07:30 AM
The same is true about TJax, only TJax is much cheaper, and best case scenario is Kolb gets us to 4 wins while TJax gets us to two.

You will be proven wrong on this. I will bet you the Bills get at least 6 wins regardless who the starter is at QB.

BillsFever21
04-02-2013, 07:47 AM

I didn't know Kevin Kolb or his family members posted on this board. You're defending every thread and post for this guy with the same excuse over and over again.

I guess when he comes into Buffalo and gets sacked/injured all of the time we can use the same excuse here. That is until he's released and then everyone can act like they knew he sucked all along.

Historian
04-02-2013, 07:55 AM
I never had a problem with KK. Whatever shortcomings he has physically, I always thought he made up with heart.

I agree that it's a desperation move...but not for the reasons everyone else does:

I think it was done because the team simply cannot sell tickets without any established QB. I believe they had to do something to fill seats.

Draft one of the big three QBs...sure that helps, but one really does not know how they will react to the pro game, and whether they will be ready on opening day or not.

Bone
04-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Playoffs.

justasportsfan
04-02-2013, 08:36 AM
When the bills let someone walk, OP whines that the bills didn't replace him. Now that the bills brought in Fitz's replacement, OP says the fans are accepting mediocrity. OP's *****ing just to ***** again.

jdaltroy5
04-02-2013, 08:47 AM
I would've preferred they spent the money to keep Levitre, but since he's already gone, they might as well spend the money on someone.

QB seems like a good place to start.

As long as this doesn't alter their plans to draft a QB this year.

SpikedLemonade
04-02-2013, 08:51 AM
You will be proven wrong on this. I will bet you the Bills get at least 6 wins regardless who the starter is at QB.

Ha Ha Ha!!!!

BidsJr
04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Time for OP to change his tampon.

better days
04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Ha Ha Ha!!!!

The Bills won 6 games last year with Dave Wannstedt & his NEVER Blitz defense.

The only important player the Bills lost is Levitre.

So EXPLAIN why you think the Bills will lose more games this year than last!

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
You're so full of ****.

You act like we don't have an entire draft, a Free Agency period that is still ongoing, and a trade market available to fill any needs. If this was August 1 and the Bills were doing then we'd agree, but on April 1 with so much left to get done? Utterly ridiculous how fast you are to fly off the handle for them signing a QB with starting experience to simply compete. Yes they have holes at OLB, DE, WR, OG, and QB but you act like they just signed another RB to go along with Choice an ignored every need. Kolb is likely not the answer (you never say never) but at least they are bringing him in over bums like Byron Leftwich.

It's a solid signing, its not great and its not bad. Any reaction otherwise is short sighted and fueled by issues with the team in general and not with the move itself.

lmao.

Some of you act like FA is like going to Wal-Mart. You can go any time and get the exact same stuff. Not true.

Most of the FA's who could actually make an impact are long gone. The guys that are left are technical upgrades because the guys on our current roster are so bad, but thye are not real solutions, just like Kolb.

And, we only have 6 draft picks. And, here's a big secret: EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL GETS TO DRAFT TOO. It's hard to close the talent gap on other teams if they have the same (or greater because of more picks) opportunity to improve.

better days
04-02-2013, 09:26 AM
lmao.

Some of you act like FA is like going to Wal-Mart. You can go any time and get the exact same stuff. Not true.

Most of the FA's who could actually make an impact are long gone. The guys that are left are technical upgrades because the guys on our current roster are so bad, but thye are not real solutions, just like Kolb.

And, we only have 6 draft picks. And, here's a big secret: EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL GETS TO DRAFT TOO. It's hard to close the talent gap on other teams if they have the same (or greater because of more picks) opportunity to improve.

The Coaching change alone will make the Bills a better team this year than they were last year. Pettine is a HUGE upgrade over Wannstedt.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 09:27 AM
When the bills let someone walk, OP whines that the bills didn't replace him. Now that the bills brought in Fitz's replacement, OP says the fans are accepting mediocrity. OP's *****ing just to ***** again.

lmao.

We let a good player walk and signed a crappy player.

Apples and oranges.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
The Coaching change alone will make the Bills a better team this year than they were last year. Pettine is a HUGE upgrade over Wannstedt.

Yeah, we've NEVER heard this line before.....

jdaltroy5
04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
It seems like I hear this every three years.

Gailey is a HUGE upgrade over Jauron.

Jauron is a HUGE upgrade over Mularkey.

So on and so forth.

justasportsfan
04-02-2013, 09:33 AM
lmao.

We let a good player walk and signed a crappy player.

Apples and oranges.
:lmao:
Fitz was a good player? Don't you dare accuse anyone anymore of accepting mediocrity !!!

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Fitz was a good player? LMAO! Some people have accepted mediocrity !!!

I was talking about Levitre, not Fitz.

imbondz
04-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Kolb's numbers:

Fitz's numbers:

Couldn't agree more!

justasportsfan
04-02-2013, 09:35 AM
I was talking about Levitre, not Fitz.

well I wasn't talking about Levitre.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
The Bills won 6 games last year with Dave Wannstedt & his NEVER Blitz defense.

The only important player the Bills lost is Levitre.

So EXPLAIN why you think the Bills will lose more games this year than last!

Define "important." We lost all our Left Guards, our #2 and #3 wideouts, our starting Strong Safety, our starting Weakside linebacker, our starting QB, and our starting Tight End is likely to open the season on the PUP list. Now, eventually we may upgrade those positions, but the key word is "eventually." This season we are going to have at least 5 new starters and likely more, plus a rookie head coach and OC, and we play a harder schedule.

6 wins would be amazing this year. But it won't happen.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Define "important." We lost all our Left Guards, our #2 and #3 wideouts, our starting Strong Safety, our starting Weakside linebacker, our starting QB, and our starting Tight End is likely to open the season on the PUP list. Now, eventually we may upgrade those positions, but the key word is "eventually." This season we are going to have at least 5 new starters and likely more, plus a rookie head coach and OC, and we play a harder schedule.

You know what the response is going to be, right? "other than Levitre, none of those guys were very good."

And there is some truth to that. But what some people fail to realize is that we have yet to replace ANY of them with someone better or even equal, and the options for improvement grow slimmer by the day.

And now we've tied up some of our very limited cap space in Kolb, so the problem is getting worse, not better.

psubills62
04-02-2013, 10:43 AM

Kolb's numbers:

Fitz's numbers:

It's always amusing when Op contradicts himself, especially in the same post.

"The only reason for Kolb's relative success is Larry Fitzgerald."
"You have to hold a player responsible, can't just blame his OL."

Apparently no one else can blame/credit other people for Kolb, but Op can. Too funny.

Nice straw man you've created there. Who has said Kolb is a savior or franchise QB?

So apparently, the fact that Tarvaris Jackson was our only QB along with Aaron Corp didn't bother Op at all. It must be impossible to like the move because we got a relatively young QB who has performed well in the past and has starting experience for backup QB money.

And apparently it's groundhog day in Buffalo because signing Fitzpatrick to a 6-year 60m extension and proclaiming him the answer is the same thing as signing Kolb to a contract that has an absolute maximum value of 13 million over 2 years.

What a drama queen.

CoolBreeze
04-02-2013, 10:48 AM
People just need to accept that we are going to be 2-14 bad this year and not take each move to get there with anger.

We have done the 5-11 to 7-9 route and it does not work.

Do you remember when homer-sexuals would say that those meaningless wins in December in a non-play-off season were soooo important to teach a young team how to win.

It does not work that way.

Memories in the NFL are short.

Lets just take our poison this year with our new coach, hit rock bottom and rebuild it properly.

Have we not learned anything from these past 13 years.

hahaha I wasn't aware Madden could transfer to real life...

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 10:54 AM
It's always amusing when Op contradicts himself, especially in the same post.

"The only reason for Kolb's relative success is Larry Fitzgerald."
"You have to hold a player responsible, can't just blame his OL."

Apparently no one else can blame/credit other people for Kolb, but Op can. Too funny.

Nice straw man you've created there. Who has said Kolb is a savior or franchise QB?

So apparently, the fact that Tarvaris Jackson was our only QB along with Aaron Corp didn't bother Op at all. It must be impossible to like the move because we got a relatively young QB who has performed well in the past and has starting experience for backup QB money.

And apparently it's groundhog day in Buffalo because signing Fitzpatrick to a 6-year 60m extension and proclaiming him the answer is the same thing as signing Kolb to a contract that has an absolute maximum value of 13 million over 2 years.

What a drama queen.
Your reading comprehension sucks.

I never said Kolb was successful because of Fitzgerald. I said Kolb wasn't successful even with Fitzgerald, so he certainly isn't going to do any better without him.

And I never said that having TJax and Corp didn't bother me. I said the reality is that there are no better options. It sucks, but it is what it is.

And I never said their contracts were equivalent. I said that it's the same because they're both vets who didn't catch on in other places being used as starters here. And even though Kolb's contract isn't as big as Fitz's, it's still eating cap space that should be used elsewhere instead of on another QB incapable of carrying the team.

But hey, call me a drama queen and twist my words to make it seem like a contradiction. It's much easier to try to make it about me than it is to accept reality.

DraftBoy
04-02-2013, 10:54 AM
lmao.

As it was weeks ago you are still completely incorrect about what's left available in the FA Market.

Really? I was wondering why there were 32 teams...

You fail to mention that its easier when you have higher picks and more players to choose from, but then again that wouldn't fit your narrative so of course you don't mention it.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 10:59 AM
As it was weeks ago you are still completely incorrect about what's left available in the FA Market.

Really? I was wondering why there were 32 teams...

You fail to mention that its easier when you have higher picks and more players to choose from, but then again that wouldn't fit your narrative so of course you don't mention it.

Yeah, we've had higher picks and more players to choose from in the past. How exactly has that worked out?

DraftBoy
04-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Yeah, we've had higher picks and more players to choose from in the past. How exactly has that worked out?

Gilmore, Dareus, Spiller in our most recent history. Historically not all that well but we are trending much better recently.

better days
04-02-2013, 11:32 AM
You know what the response is going to be, right? "other than Levitre, none of those guys were very good."

And there is some truth to that. But what some people fail to realize is that we have yet to replace ANY of them with someone better or even equal, and the options for improvement grow slimmer by the day.

And now we've tied up some of our very limited cap space in Kolb, so the problem is getting worse, not better.

Some truth? It is the TOTAL truth.

What you fail to realize Op is it is NOW April 2. I said the same thing to you the first week of MARCH. The draft is yet to come & MANY MORE FAs will become available AFTER the draft.

And the Bills still have plenty of Cap room. This is not the Cowboys cap or Redskins cap.

As I said EXPLAIN why you think the Bills will win less games than last year. Do you think losing Levitre will cause the TOTAL failure of the Marrone regime?

If Marrone fails to win at least 6 games this season, I want him FIRED by Febuary 1.

psubills62
04-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Your reading comprehension sucks.

I never said Kolb was successful because of Fitzgerald. I said Kolb wasn't successful even with Fitzgerald, so he certainly isn't going to do any better without him.

And I never said that having TJax and Corp didn't bother me. I said the reality is that there are no better options. It sucks, but it is what it is.

And I never said their contracts were equivalent. I said that it's the same because they're both vets who didn't catch on in other places being used as starters here. And even though Kolb's contract isn't as big as Fitz's, it's still eating cap space that should be used elsewhere instead of on another QB incapable of carrying the team.

But hey, call me a drama queen and twist my words to make it seem like a contradiction. It's much easier to try to make it about me than it is to accept reality.
Except in that paragraph you're clearly implying that Fitzgerald and Stevie Johnson have differing levels of effect on how successful their QB will appear. Whether you meant it or not, you're obviously implying that having a top WR like Fitzgerald should help a QB. Just like having a poor OL should hurt a QB, hm?

Did I say you "said" it? I said it was apparent. That doesn't always mean someone explicitly said something. Apparent means "capable of being easily perceived or understood; plain or clear; obvious." What I'm seeing is that you don't like signing one of the QB options out there, which is, according to you, one of the best QB options out there. From that it seems easy to deduce that you are OK with our status, since you don't seem to want to make an addition to it. I also seem to remember you complaining that Buffalo shouldn't go into the draft being desperate for a QB, though. So I guess since you only ***** and never actually say what you want to see happen, you're always able to use the technicality of "I didn't actually SAY that" to avoid an argument. This is why your *****ing always comes full circle and ends up contradicting itself. Like when you're either unhappy that the Bills aren't signing players or you're unhappy that they are signing players but taking up cap space. Based on your various complaints, it seems like you want Buffalo to sign players without taking up any cap space. Good luck with that.

Except the key flaw in your Groundhog Day argument revolves around the contracts. Nobody is saying Kolb can carry a team. Nobody is parading him as a starter. In fact, he might not even be the starter. Fitzpatrick's contract clearly says he was the starter and he's a significant part of the future. Kolb's contract very clearly says he is a stepping stone at best, while Fitzpatrick was meant to be a legit starter for multiple years. The contracts aren't the same because how they're viewed is not the same, which is your whole Groundhog Day argument.

If you're going to call people desperate and accepting mediocrity, I'm going to call you a drama queen.

You just love to cop out with that response, don't you? It's about you because you're the one *****ing. How long is it going to take you to understand that? You're the one with the problem. You're the one who never actually owns up to anything. You almost never say what you actually want to see, mostly because when we do see it, you still ***** about it. It's always about you, which is why you're such a drama queen.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Some truth? It is the TOTAL truth.

What you fail to realize Op is it is NOW April 2. I said the same thing to you the first week of MARCH. The draft is yet to come & MANY MORE FAs will become available AFTER the draft.

And the Bills still have plenty of Cap room. This is not the Cowboys cap or Redskins cap.

As I said EXPLAIN why you think the Bills will win less games than last year. Do you think losing Levitre will cause the TOTAL failure of the Marrone regime?

If Marrone fails to win at least 6 games this season, I want him FIRED by Febuary 1.

And what you fail to realize is that the FA's available after the draft are OTHER TEAMS' REJECTS. We've gone that route in the past- it doesn't work.

And if the Bills have plenty of cap room, why did they sit on their hands while good players went elsewhere? Why did they let Levitre walk? They are not acting like a team that has plenty of cap room.

As far as Levitre, no, losing him won't cause the total collapse of the Marrone regime. But it'll be a contributing factor. Kolb and/or whatever rookie we draft are screwed without an OL or WR's.

Mr. Pink
04-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Kolb's better than what we had. He's not the long term solution but I have no problem with the signing.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Except in that paragraph you're clearly implying that Fitzgerald and Stevie Johnson have differing levels of effect on how successful their QB will appear. Whether you meant it or not, you're obviously implying that having a top WR like Fitzgerald should help a QB. Just like having a poor OL should hurt a QB, hm?

Did I say you "said" it? I said it was apparent. That doesn't always mean someone explicitly said something. Apparent means "capable of being easily perceived or understood; plain or clear; obvious." What I'm seeing is that you don't like signing one of the QB options out there, which is, according to you, one of the best QB options out there. From that it seems easy to deduce that you are OK with our status, since you don't seem to want to make an addition to it. I also seem to remember you complaining that Buffalo shouldn't go into the draft being desperate for a QB, though. So I guess since you only ***** and never actually say what you want to see happen, you're always able to use the technicality of "I didn't actually SAY that" to avoid an argument. This is why your *****ing always comes full circle and ends up contradicting itself. Like when you're either unhappy that the Bills aren't signing players or you're unhappy that they are signing players but taking up cap space. Based on your various complaints, it seems like you want Buffalo to sign players without taking up any cap space. Good luck with that.

Except the key flaw in your Groundhog Day argument revolves around the contracts. Nobody is saying Kolb can carry a team. Nobody is parading him as a starter. In fact, he might not even be the starter. Fitzpatrick's contract clearly says he was the starter and he's a significant part of the future. Kolb's contract very clearly says he is a stepping stone at best, while Fitzpatrick was meant to be a legit starter for multiple years. The contracts aren't the same because how they're viewed is not the same, which is your whole Groundhog Day argument.

If you're going to call people desperate and accepting mediocrity, I'm going to call you a drama queen.

You just love to cop out with that response, don't you? It's about you because you're the one *****ing. How long is it going to take you to understand that? You're the one with the problem. You're the one who never actually owns up to anything. You almost never say what you actually want to see, mostly because when we do see it, you still ***** about it. It's always about you, which is why you're such a drama queen.

So, you claim I implied one thing in what I said and then that thing implied something different... so basically you are arguing a point that's two levels removed from what I said. Give me a ****ing break.

And "best out there" doesn't mean "best" or even "good." It's quite simple: Our QB situation sucks. I don't want the team wasting limited resources on QB options that still suck because they're different from what we have. It's completely illogical.

And no, it's not about me. It's about the team. The team did something stupid, but people like you pass it off as "uh-oh Op's *****ing again." It's easier to shoot the messenger than accept the reality that this team sucks.

psubills62
04-02-2013, 12:01 PM
So, you claim I implied one thing in what I said and then that thing implied something different... so basically you are arguing a point that's two levels removed from what I said. Give me a ****ing break.

And "best out there" doesn't mean "best" or even "good." It's quite simple: Our QB situation sucks. I don't want the team wasting limited resources on QB options that still suck because they're different from what we have. It's completely illogical.

And no, it's not about me. It's about the team. The team did something stupid, but people like you pass it off as "uh-oh Op's *****ing again." It's easier to shoot the messenger than accept the reality that this team sucks.
Nope, same thing just worded differently.

So then what do you want the team to do? Since it's always obvious what you DON'T want the team to do, why don't you tell us what they should do or should have done. Enlighten us poor mediocrity-loving individuals.

It's not illogical because they now have two players to choose from, rather than one. They're both below-average QB's, but now you can choose the best of two, rather than the best of one. Makes plenty of sense. Not to mention it allows flexibility going into the draft. Did you not previously say in King's thread that it's bad to go into the draft being desperate for a QB?

Deny it all you want, it's always about you. You made this thread. You're the one complaining. You're the one calling other people desperate and saying they love mediocrity. You're the one creating a straw man that represents nobody else's viewpoint. Always a drama queen.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Nope, same thing just worded differently.

So then what do you want the team to do? Since it's always obvious what you DON'T want the team to do, why don't you tell us what they should do or should have done. Enlighten us poor mediocrity-loving individuals.

It's not illogical because they now have two players to choose from, rather than one. They're both below-average QB's, but now you can choose the best of two, rather than the best of one. Makes plenty of sense. Not to mention it allows flexibility going into the draft. Did you not previously say in King's thread that it's bad to go into the draft being desperate for a QB?

Deny it all you want, it's always about you. You made this thread. You're the one complaining. You're the one calling other people desperate and saying they love mediocrity. You're the one creating a straw man that represents nobody else's viewpoint. Always a drama queen.

I've said what I want the team to do a million times: Leave QB alone this year and use the draft picks and cap space on LB, CB G and WR. Then, next year, we can get a QB and put him in a situation where he may actually have a chance.

And i don't recall saying it, but of course it's bad going into the draft desperate for a QB. But even with Kolb we are desperate for a QB. At this point, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to fix that situation. As bad as it sucks, it's still reality.

Captain Obvious
04-02-2013, 12:32 PM
You just love to cop out with that response, don't you?

One of his tried and true copouts when he has been proven wrong is to claim"Well that is the exception"..

psubills62
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
I've said what I want the team to do a million times: Leave QB alone this year and use the draft picks and cap space on LB, CB G and WR. Then, next year, we can get a QB and put him in a situation where he may actually have a chance.

And i don't recall saying it, but of course it's bad going into the draft desperate for a QB. But even with Kolb we are desperate for a QB. At this point, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to fix that situation. As bad as it sucks, it's still reality.
OK, well thanks for confirming what you explicitly denied saying previously (even though you've apparently said it a million times) - that you'd rather have just Jackson and Corp.

And it's odd that you *****ed about them signing a CB ("eating up cap space" is exactly how you put it) when that's one of the spots you claim to want them to get.

I'm still waiting to hear who said that Kolb was a franchise QB or savior, as you put it in the OP? Who exactly were you preaching to? And actually now we're desperate for a GOOD quarterback, not just desperate for any QB. There's a difference, especially when it comes to the draft. The former means we can indeed go after other positions, the latter means we need to draft a QB.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
OK, well thanks for confirming what you explicitly denied saying previously (even though you've apparently said it a million times) - that you'd rather have just Jackson and Corp.

And it's odd that you *****ed about them signing a CB ("eating up cap space" is exactly how you put it) when that's one of the spots you claim to want them to get.

I'm still waiting to hear who said that Kolb was a franchise QB or savior, as you put it in the OP? Who exactly were you preaching to? And actually now we're desperate for a GOOD quarterback, not just desperate for any QB. There's a difference, especially when it comes to the draft. The former means we can indeed go after other positions, the latter means we need to draft a QB.

Really? After you did so much "implying" earlier, I have to spell this out? I want a TALENTED CB, not McKelvin. I want a TALENTED QB, not Kolb.

This is exactly what I mean when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity. "We re-signed McKelvin so CB is fine. We signed Kolb and you said you wanted a QB, so don't complain." Uggh.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 12:41 PM
One of his tried and true copouts when he has been proven wrong is to claim"Well that is the exception"..

because simpletons like you can't comprehend that something happening once doesn't make it likely to happen again. A strategy fails 499 times out of 500- then it works once and people like you can't wait to go "See! I told you so!"

HAMMER
04-02-2013, 12:48 PM
You people need to recognize:
-Op is smarter than you.
-Op is never wrong.
-Op is a contrarian, you say black, he will say white.
-Op is omniscient.
-Op would argue with the Pope.

better days
04-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Really? After you did so much "implying" earlier, I have to spell this out? I want a TALENTED CB, not McKelvin. I want a TALENTED QB, not Kolb.

This is exactly what I mean when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity. "We re-signed McKelvin so CB is fine. We signed Kolb and you said you wanted a QB, so don't complain." Uggh.

And exactly which talented CB & QB would you rather the Bills had signed than McKelvin & Kolb. NAME NAMES.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 12:57 PM
And exactly which talented CB & QB would you rather the Bills had signed than McKelvin & Kolb. NAME NAMES.

I'd have to look up who the FA CB's were.

Kolb- I already told you. No one. We have a ****ty QB situation without him, we still have a ****ty QB situation with him. You can't get it through your head that the QB we need simply isn't available.

And don't try to twist this into saying "Well wanting to go with Jackson and Corp is accepting mediocrity." I don't like that situation either. But the reality is that no matter what we do about QB, we are still screwed, so there is no point in wasting limited resources on something that won't work. THE QB WE NEED SIMPLY ISN'T AVAILABLE.

- - - Updated - - -

-Op is smarter than you.
-Op is never wrong.
-Op is omniscient.
Once again, it's not about me.

DraftBoy
04-02-2013, 01:01 PM
-Op is smarter than you.
-Op is never wrong.
-Op is omniscient.

1. Maybe true, but on this he's wrong
2. No he's wrong
3. That's what I like about him
4. I think he'd disagree
5. This is 100% FACT!

psubills62
04-02-2013, 01:17 PM

TALENTED CB's take up tons of cap space that could be used to sign OG's, etc. Am I doing this right?

Oh, and:

I'm still waiting to hear who said that Kolb was a franchise QB or savior.

psubills62
04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Message to Op: Nobody has accepted mediocrity. We've accepted the reality that you seem to have missed, despite the constant use of the word. Reality is that the team is bad. Nobody denies that, and nobody denies that there are holes. What we HAVE accepted is that there's no magic cure. There's no belief that we can sign a bunch of uber-talented OG's, LB's, CB's, QB's, etc., while taking up little to no cap space. What we appreciate are efforts to improve the team in various ways. But according to you, unless a signing will take us to the Super Bowl, we can't like it. Fine, if you want to feel that way then do so, but don't complain about how we've accepted mediocrity just for liking a move the Bills make. Liking is not the same as being satisfied with the roster. Even liking the direction the team is going is not being satisfied, and that's a huge distinction that has seemingly gone way over your head.

better days
04-02-2013, 01:26 PM
I'd have to look up who the FA CB's were.

Kolb- I already told you. No one. We have a ****ty QB situation without him, we still have a ****ty QB situation with him. You can't get it through your head that the QB we need simply isn't available.

And don't try to twist this into saying "Well wanting to go with Jackson and Corp is accepting mediocrity." I don't like that situation either. But the reality is that no matter what we do about QB, we are still screwed, so there is no point in wasting limited resources on something that won't work. THE QB WE NEED SIMPLY ISN'T AVAILABLE.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again, it's not about me.

So STUPID Op. You are the person ALWAYS saying the Bills always settle for less. Well, Kolb was the BEST option out there at QB. And as I said the experts on Sirius who are NOT Bills fans have said he is a good QB & expect him to win the starting job. They also say his signing will not affect the Bills draft plans.

And if the loss of Levitre is not the reason the Bills will win less than 6 games, you still have not explained WHY you expect the Bills to win less than 6 games. Do you think Gailey & Wannstedt were that much better Coaches than Marrone & Pettine will prove to be?

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
TALENTED CB's take up tons of cap space that could be used to sign OG's, etc. Am I doing this right?

Oh, and:

Yes, but it would be using that cap space to ACTUALLY FILL A HOLE. Kolb uses cap space and we STILL have a hole at QB. Get it now?

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 01:56 PM
So STUPID Op. You are the person ALWAYS saying the Bills always settle for less. Well, Kolb was the BEST option out there at QB. And as I said the experts on Sirius who are NOT Bills fans have said he is a good QB & expect him to win the starting job. They also say his signing will not affect the Bills draft plans.

And if the loss of Levitre is not the reason the Bills will win less than 6 games, you still have not explained WHY you expect the Bills to win less than 6 games. Do you think Gailey & Wannstedt were that much better Coaches than Marrone & Pettine will prove to be?

Kolb is settling for less.

You want to know why we lose more games? No G, No OL depth, no WR behind Stevie, Chandler won't be 100%, new QB learning a new coach's system with only one good WR and no G. New defensive system, still no LB's, still have a hole at CB. The guys we lost weren't very good (other than Levitre) but we still have no one equal or better.

better days
04-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Yes, but it would be using that cap space to ACTUALLY FILL A HOLE. Kolb uses cap space and we STILL have a hole at QB. Get it now?

Kolb fills a hole. He is either the starter or the back up QB. Those are two holes & he will fill one of them................unless TJax beats him out in which case he will be cut, no harm, no foul.

And I'm stll waitng to hear why you think the Bills will win less than 6 games next season.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Kolb fills a hole. He is either the starter or the back up QB. Those are two holes & he will fill one of them................unless TJax beats him out in which case he will be cut, no harm, no foul.

And I'm stll waitng to hear why you think the Bills will win less than 6 games next season.

I addressed the 6 games thing above.

And if you think Kolb fills a hole, then you have accepted mediocrity. Holes should be filled with quality players, not simply a guy who plays the position.

BillsFever21
04-02-2013, 02:56 PM

Thank you.

Well damn if we can win at least 6 games with Corp as QB then we're definitely fighting for the AFC Championship next year with Kolb as the QB. I wish we could skip through spring and summer before it even starts so we can get started on our run.

better days
04-02-2013, 03:01 PM

And if you think Kolb fills a hole, then you have accepted mediocrity. Holes should be filled with quality players, not simply a guy who plays the position.

Yeah, I saw that, but it was not up whie I was writing my post.

And if Kolb is accepting Mediocrity, NOT signing anyone at QB & going into the Season with TJax & Corp as the only QB options is accepting even GREATER MEDIOCRITY.

Holes have to be filled by SOMEONE & even the BEST teams do not have quality players at EVERY position.

justasportsfan
04-02-2013, 03:03 PM
And if you think Kolb fills a hole, then you have accepted mediocrity.
Give it a rest OP. The only hole he's filling is the stop gap starter /back up position at this point. No one is saying he's filling the franchise qb position.

BillsFever21
04-02-2013, 03:05 PM

You should know by now that as long as we have a 53 man roster then all the holes for the season has been filled. Once they are wearing the buffalo on their helmet they are automatically a better player.

better days
04-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Well damn if we can win at least 6 games with Corp as QB then we're definitely fighting for the AFC Championship next year with Kolb as the QB. I wish we could skip through spring and summer before it even starts so we can get started on our run.

Well, except Kolb will probably be injured by week 6 or 7. But maybe the Rookie will be ready to take over by then.

I'm looking forward to spring & summer myself. And OTAs started today.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I saw that, but it was not up whie I was writing my post.

And if Kolb is accepting Mediocrity, NOT signing anyone at QB & going into the Season with TJax & Corp as the only QB options is accepting even GREATER MEDIOCRITY.

Holes have to be filled by SOMEONE & even the BEST teams do not have quality players at EVERY position.
No, it's not, because that roster spot and cap space can be used for a quality player at ANOTHER position. It's accepting the reality that we are not solving our QB problem this year and using the resources to make the rest of the team better instead.

And you are right, no team has quality players at every position. However, no team has as many holes as we do, and not being able to have quality players at every position doesn't mean we have to settle for Kolb.

BillsFever21
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Well, except Kolb will probably be injured by week 6 or 7. But maybe the Rookie will be ready to take over by then.

I'm looking forward to spring & summer myself. And OTAs started today.

Oh I'm sure he will be if he wins the starting job. If you even believe that the chances of him staying healthy for more then even half of the season is around 30% then I can't believe how you consider this a good signing and him a good QB period let alone for this team.

If you know the guy probably won't stay healthy and he isn't the answer then that cap space could've went towards better players. All the money we have signed on junk yet we still haven't re-signed Byrd to an extension and we let Levitre walk. It's just another example of the Bills rather having a bunch of dime a dozen average guys on little guaranteed money then having to invest a large sum of money into somebody who can actually make a difference.

better days
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
No, it's not, because that roster spot and cap space can be used for a quality player at ANOTHER position. It's accepting the reality that we are not solving our QB problem this year and using the resources to make the rest of the team better instead.

And you are right, no team has quality players at every position. However, no team has as many holes as we do, and not being able to have quality players at every position doesn't mean we have to settle for Kolb.

EXACTLY what QUALITY player would you like the Bills to spend that money on? And no matter who it is, how many extra wins do the Bills get because of him with TJax at QB?

And if we don't settle for Kolb, you would have prefered TJax or Corp. Well, here is the good news for you. If TJax or Corp beat out Kolb in the competition, They will win the starting job & Kolb will be cut.

THATHURMANATOR
04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
OP GETTING ****ED UP AGAIN!!

THIS TIME BY HAMMER AND DB!!!

better days
04-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Oh I'm sure he will be if he wins the starting job. If you even believe that the chances of him staying healthy for more then even half of the season is around 30% then I can't believe how you consider this a good signing and him a good QB period let alone for this team.

If you know the guy probably won't stay healthy and he isn't the answer then that cap space could've went towards better players. All the money we have signed on junk yet we still haven't re-signed Byrd to an extension and we let Levitre walk. It's just another example of the Bills rather having a bunch of dime a dozen average guys on little guaranteed money then having to invest a large sum of money into somebody who can actually make a difference.

If Kolb does not stay healthy, he will not cost much & have little effect on the cap. I'm in the MINORITY, but I'm still pissed the Bills did not resign Levitre. The vast majority of this board did not want to resign him.

WagonCircler
04-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Desperation and accepting mediocrity are the only reasons to like the Brandon move.

I can't believe people keep getting fooled and expecting things to be any different.

mikemac2001
04-02-2013, 03:43 PM
This is a classic op thread

Look at me look at me

i complain about everything. if the bills didnt bring in another QB he would complain during the season saying they didnt look at other options out there.....well they did they look at alex smith and flynn. so if you are gonna cry about it later in the year dont cry because they did attempt to improve it before the draft

JoeMama
04-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Desperation and accepting mediocrity are the only reasons to like the Brandon move.

I can't believe people keep getting fooled and expecting things to be any different.

I'm starting to think Russ Brandon is descended from a wandering band of gypsies.

Nobody pushes snake oil on unwitting fans as effectively as he does.

Brandon should have zero say in personnel decisions. Ditto front office and coaching decisions. He's not a football guy. He's a marketing guy, which means he's constitutionally dishonest.

No one tells you the truth when they want you to buy something.

mjt328
04-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Look at it this way. Our front office has been doing homework on all of the 2013 QB draft prospects. At this point, they can only have two opinions about this draft class.

Option #1: We can draft a potential franchise QB this year
In this case, we should be planning to either use the #8 pick on the guy we want (to make sure we don't miss him) - or at the very least we should be prepared to cough up a middle round pick to trade up from #40 (to make sure we don't miss him). Either way, we should be using our free agent money on filling the non-QB holes. We already had our temporary veteran/stop-gap in TJax. Our future is the rookie. Why bring in Kolb?

Option #2: There is no franchise QB in this draft
In this case, our only hope is landing a high pick next year. Top 5 at the least. Most likely, we would need the Top 1 or 2. Starting a guy like Kolb will only get us worthless wins during the season, lowering our draft position.

Is Kolb a bad signing? Not necessarily, if our plan is to plant him on the bench for the next two years.
Unfortunately... I hate to say it, but I think our front office sees starting potential in Kolb.
That is why I am disgusted by the move.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 03:54 PM
This is a classic op thread

Look at me look at me

i complain about everything. if the bills didnt bring in another QB he would complain during the season saying they didnt look at other options out there.....well they did they look at alex smith and flynn. so if you are gonna cry about it later in the year dont cry because they did attempt to improve it before the draft

So, you're basing your point on your assumption of how I would react in a hypothetical situation that didn't actually occur. And you're making it about me instead of addressing the points I made.

It's this simple: the QB we need simply isn't available. Kolb is technically an "improvement" but all he did was use up cap space so we could go from absolutely horrendous at QB to just sucking horribly at QB. Unfortunately, for some of you, going from absolutely horrendous to sucking horribly is acceptable improvement.

THATHURMANATOR
04-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Op stop it. It's over.

The winner by TKO........HAMMMMMMMERRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feldspar
04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
"Most workable" doesn't mean good. You are not advocating improvement. You are simply advocating taking the best option available at any cost, no matter how bad it is.

I'm not against trying to upgrade. I'm against signing proven failures and trying to pass it off as an attempt to upgrade. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid from OBD.

Look, you are more than welcome to your own opinion, Opie...I don't really respect it anyway, as you act like a douche. But don't go around telling me what I think and then judge me by it. I think that Kevin Kolb is an upgrade over Tarvaris Jackson. That's it. I understand the signing, and I'm completely OK with it, as it makes sense to me. Disagree all you want, but I didn't have to consult anybody or drink any Kool-Aid before forming my own opinion.

You do understand the difference between fact and opinion, don't you?

If you think, after all I said, that I'm "advocating taking the best option available AT ALL COSTS, no matter how bad it is" then you are simply ******ed. I know what I think, and I don't think THAT. YOU think that, and that's your OPINION. So simmer down and quit acting like a douche-bag...

You endlessly fail to own up and tell us who you would have rather signed in free agency at ANY position. We signed Alan Branch to a one-year deal, but that's a "prove yourself" contract so he can get more money later. These types of deals are common. If the season is lost already, why bother?

But who exactly should we have signed?

BertSquirtgum
04-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Why do you care about cap space? You're not paying the bills. What the **** do you care? You always bring that bull**** up when it means nothing to you. There's no free agent out there that's going to be so costly that signing Kolb is going to stop the Bills from signing anyone else. What a stupid argument.

BertSquirtgum
04-02-2013, 06:04 PM

No he isn't. He makes 4 million a year and Kevin Kolb isn't signed yet so no one knows that for sure. Another stupid argument.

BertSquirtgum
04-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Levtire wasn't good at run blocking. David Nelson was Ok. Donald Jones sucked major *******. George Wilson sucked major *******. Nick Barnett sucked major *******. Ryan Putzputrid sucked the most *******. Losing players that suck doesn't hurt a football team.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 06:13 PM
No he isn't. He makes 4 million a year and Kevin Kolb isn't signed yet so no one knows that for sure. Another stupid argument.

What? This is the dumbest thing ever. If Kolb makes $1, that's $1 more than we are paying for Jackson. It's cheaper to not have Kolb counting against the cap no matter what he makes. Think before you type.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Why do you care about cap space? You're not paying the bills. What the **** do you care? You always bring that bull**** up when it means nothing to you. There's no free agent out there that's going to be so costly that signing Kolb is going to stop the Bills from signing anyone else. What a stupid argument.

We don't have infinite cap. That's why I care about cap space. And you just said that we don't know how much Kolb is going to count against the cap. But now you're saying he won't keep us from signing other players. You don't know how much Kolb will cost or how much the other FAs will cost so there is no way you can possibly know that.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Levtire wasn't good at run blocking. David Nelson was Ok. Donald Jones sucked major *******. George Wilson sucked major *******. Nick Barnett sucked major *******. Ryan Putzputrid sucked the most *******. Losing players that suck doesn't hurt a football team.
It does when you don't replace them with someone equal or better. Right now, the only replacement we have for those players that suck are the back-ups who weren't even good enough to start over those players that suck.

BertSquirtgum
04-02-2013, 06:21 PM
It does when you don't replace them with someone equal or better. Right now, the only replacement we have for those players that suck are the back-ups who weren't even good enough to start over those players that suck.

As many people have already said. There's still a draft and there's still plenty of time to sign free agents. It's freaking April 2nd for Christ's sake.

HAMMER
04-02-2013, 06:22 PM
T-Jax will not be on the roster come the end of camp, book it.

BertSquirtgum
04-02-2013, 06:22 PM
We don't have infinite cap. That's why I care about cap space. And you just said that we don't know how much Kolb is going to count against the cap. But now you're saying he won't keep us from signing other players. You don't know how much Kolb will cost or how much the other FAs will cost so there is no way you can possibly know that.

If the the media is right about a maximum of 13 million in two years, it's not going to keep the Bills from signing anyone else they want. Likely the base salary would be the equivalent to T-Jax's salary with incentives being more when he beats out Jackson in the QB competition.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 06:26 PM
As many people have already said. There's still a draft and there's still plenty of time to sign free agents. It's freaking April 2nd for Christ's sake.

The only FA's left are the players other teams cut because they suck. Like I already said, free agency isn't like going to Wal-Mart. You can't go anytime you what and expect to find the same things. Once a guy is gone, he's gone.

And we only have 6 draft picks. Even if we hit on every single one, which we won't, we are still going to have holes.

Goobylal
04-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Jackson has a 1-year deal that gave him $500K in a signing bonus, pays him $1.25M in base salary, $50K in a workout bonus, and $450K in a roster bonus. If he's cut before the season starts, he costs just $550K. If he stays, he costs $2.25M, unless he plays and hits incentives. I'm curious to see what Kolb got, assuming he's signed, which hasn't been made official. But I'd bet he'll get about what Matt Moore got ($4M/year) to be a backup, unless he hits major incentives as well.

Outside of Levitre, the remainder could be replace by anyone. However the Bills have a much better DC than last year, added Lawson, Bradham won't be a rookie, and neither will Gilmore or Brooks.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 06:27 PM
T-Jax will not be on the roster come the end of camp, book it.

If that happens, then we used a draft pick on a guy who just rode the pine for a year. Another classic Buffalo move.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Jackson has a 1-year deal that gave him $500K in a signing bonus, pays him $1.25M in base salary, $50K in a workout bonus, and $450K in a roster bonus. If he's cut before the season starts, he costs just $550K. If he stays, he costs $2.25M, unless he plays and hits incentives. I'm curious to see what Kolb got, assuming he's signed, which hasn't been made official. But I'd bet he'll get about what Matt Moore got ($4M/year) to be a backup, unless he hits major incentives as well.

Outside of Levitre, the remainder could be replace by anyone. However the Bills have a much better DC than last year, added Lawson, Bradham won't be a rookie, and neither will Gilmore or Brooks.
Please. Not this again. Every year, I hear about how guys are going to get so much better from year one to year two. And every year it fails to happen.

Goobylal
04-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Please. Not this again. Every year, I hear about how guys are going to get so much better from year one to year two. And every year it fails to happen.
Fine then. We shall see.

DraftBoy
04-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Just to note today out of a market that had "no talent left" Namndi Asomaugh, and Alan Branch both signed.

John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, Andre Smith, Eric Winston, Brandon Moore, Richard Seymour, James Harrison, Karlos Dansby, and Kerry Rhodes all still remain available in this talentless market.

The Jokeman
04-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Just to note today out of a market that had "no talent left" Namndi Asomaugh, and Alan Branch both signed.

John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, Andre Smith, Eric Winston, Brandon Moore, Richard Seymour, James Harrison, Karlos Dansby, and Kerry Rhodes all still remain available in this talentless market.

Outside of Andre Smith, Winston and maybe Dansby you could argue everyone of those guys you listed in on the wrong side of 30 and all should be depth players now. I would love Smith or Winston but both likely cost too much but would give us a great RT which is a question mark with Pears/Hairston battling there.

psubills62
04-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Ah right, because signing free agents to big contracts always works out.

In free agency, you're almost always using too much cap space to fill one hole. If the Bills did that, you'd complain about how they're wasting all their cap space on one position when they have needs at multiple positions. In fact, I'm certain I've seen you argue that very thing, whether it was Mario Williams or Mark Anderson or all these other guys who worked out so well.

A player does not have to be a franchise guy to fill a hole. Don't know how many times I need to say this, but signing Kolb removes the NEED to draft a QB, allowing them to go after other positions. Get it now?

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 08:04 PM

Anybody younger than 50?

DraftBoy
04-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Anybody younger than 50?

Weren't you the guy accusing others of using fallacies to make their point?

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Ah right, because signing free agents to big contracts always works out.

In free agency, you're almost always using too much cap space to fill one hole. If the Bills did that, you'd complain about how they're wasting all their cap space on one position when they have needs at multiple positions. In fact, I'm certain I've seen you argue that very thing, whether it was Mario Williams or Mark Anderson or all these other guys who worked out so well.

A player does not have to be a franchise guy to fill a hole. Don't know how many times I need to say this, but signing Kolb removes the NEED to draft a QB, allowing them to go after other positions. Get it now?
I never complained about the Anderson or Williams signings.

And Kolb doesn't remove the need to draft a QB any more than Jackson does. Don't get me wrong- I'm not arguing that we should draft a QB at 8 because I think that's stupid with this QB class. But Jackson's not the answer and neither is Kolb. This signing accomplishes nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Weren't you the guy accusing others of using fallacies to make their point?

Point is, many of those guys you listed are well past their prime.

DraftBoy
04-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Point is, many of those guys you listed are well past their prime.

No the point is you continue to base your argument (that the market has no talent) on a complete falsehood. Sure its not ripe with 26 year old pro bowlers, but there are players available who would be upgrades for this team, no?

Goobylal
04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
I never complained about the Anderson or Williams signings.

And Kolb doesn't remove the need to draft a QB any more than Jackson does. Don't get me wrong- I'm not arguing that we should draft a QB at 8 because I think that's stupid with this QB class. But Jackson's not the answer and neither is Kolb. This signing accomplishes nothing.
You mean outside of adding another (and better) QB to the competition after Fitz was rightfully dumped?

Ginger Vitis
04-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Anybody younger than 50?
So you resort to childishness when Draftboy proves you wrong

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 10:34 PM
No the point is you continue to base your argument (that the market has no talent) on a complete falsehood. Sure its not ripe with 26 year old pro bowlers, but there are players available who would be upgrades for this team, no?

"Upgrades for this team" are not necessarily solutions. See, um, Kevin Kolb.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 10:37 PM
You mean outside of adding another (and better) QB to the competition after Fitz was rightfully dumped?

"Better" is not the same as "good" when a team is as bad as the Bills. That's the whole point of this thread.milx improvement that still isn't good accomplishes nothing.

better days
04-02-2013, 10:41 PM
"Better" is not the same as "good" when a team is as bad as the Bills. That's the whole point of this thread.milx improvement that still isn't good accomplishes nothing.

This thread is POINTLESS except to give to another chance to needlessly ***** about things none of us can change.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 10:56 PM
This thread is POINTLESS except to give to another chance to needlessly ***** about things none of us can change.

None of us can ever change anything that happens with this team. If that's your standard, then there is no point for this board existing at all.

THATHURMANATOR
04-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Op continuing to get dominated in this thread.

Is there a referee that can call this fight?? THROW IN THE TOWEL OP!!!!

better days
04-03-2013, 08:08 AM
None of us can ever change anything that happens with this team. If that's your standard, then there is no point for this board existing at all.

IMO the board exists for Bills fans to discuss the team we all love. The good & the bad.

To give the team CREDIT when they do something well, & ***** when they do something STUPID.

Joe Fo Sho
04-03-2013, 08:45 AM
IMO the board exists for Bills fans to discuss the team we all love. The good & the bad.

To give the team CREDIT when they do something well, & ***** when they do something STUPID.

Where has OP strayed from that strategy?

Ginger Vitis
04-03-2013, 08:49 AM
The impression I get from this thread is if OP was the GM of the Bills he would not consider any free agents who werent signed within 72 hours of free agency opening because in his mind a free agent who is not scooped up right away sucks and he would only talk to free agents who are 26 year old probowlers

better days
04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Where has OP strayed from that strategy?

He seldom if ever gives the Bills credit for doing something good.

And he *****ES about EVERYTHING. Good or Bad.

If the Bills do somthing good, Ops response is they could have done better.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 11:04 AM

See, you're making it about me.

Look at the results on the field. If their moves are so good, and if they couldn't have done better, then they'd be getting results.

And everyone says I'm "*****ing," but the overwhelming majority of the time, the move turns out to be bad and halfway through the season, everyone else is "*****ing" about the same thing. But, then the next time I point out something bad, it's "Op's *****ing again."

Eventually, you will realize that it's not me *****ing. The team really is this bad and really does things that are that stupid. I just don't get it. I point out the stupidity of the move, I get accused of *****ing, then the move turns out to be bad. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. But hey, it's much easier to accuse me of *****ing than it is to give me credit and accept the reality that this team really is that bad.

better days
04-03-2013, 11:09 AM
See, you're making it about me.

Look at the results on the field. If their moves are so good, and if they couldn't have done better, then they'd be getting results.

And everyone says I'm "*****ing," but the overwhelming majority of the time, the move turns out to be bad and halfway through the season, everyone else is "*****ing" about the same thing. But, then the next time I point out something bad, it's "Op's *****ing again."

Eventually, you will realize that it's not me *****ing. The team really is this bad and really does things that are that stupid. I just don't get it. I point out the stupidity of the move, I get accused of *****ing, then the move turns out to be bad. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. But hey, it's much easier to accuse me of *****ing than it is to give me credit and accept the reality that this team really is that bad.

You made it about you when you started this thread OP.

We will have to wait & see how good or bad this team is, but Mario Williams is excited about the coming year & said it is NOT a rebuild year.

I am excited about the coming year myself & wish you could be as well.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 11:24 AM
You made it about you when you started this thread OP.

We will have to wait & see how good or bad this team is, but Mario Williams is excited about the coming year & said it is NOT a rebuild year.

I am excited about the coming year myself & wish you could be as well.

Of course Mario Williams is going to say that. First, players have to think they are going to win no matter how outmatched they are. Second, even if he thinks the team is garbage and has no chance, he's not going to say that publicly.

I'll be excited for the season when there is some reason to be excited. We lost six starters from last year and have only signed one replacement. We only have 6 draft picks. We have no QB and glaring holes at WR, LB, OG, and CB. We have a paper tiger DL. We have new systems on both sides of the ball. And now we're pissing away limited cap space on a QB who isn't the answer. And, even if the team somehow manages to win some games despite all of that, we will need 13 or 14 wins to beat out NE for the division. We will need at least 10 wins to make a wild card. Neither of those things are going to happen.

We only added Kolb, Lawson and Branch to last year's terrible team, plus we have the learning curve with new systems on both sides of the team. It's completely illogical to be "excited" about that. This team is at least 2 seasons away from being competitive, maybe more.

Joe Fo Sho
04-03-2013, 11:28 AM

I think we need some examples. I mean, he complains a lot, but the Bills haven't been to the playoffs in 13 years. What good has come of the Bills that Op has *****ed about?

Surely someone who feels as strongly about this as you do would have examples.

better days
04-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I think we need some examples. I mean, he complains a lot, but the Bills haven't been to the playoffs in 13 years. What good has come of the Bills that Op has *****ed about?

Surely someone who feels as strongly about this as you do would have examples.

See the post above yours. EXAMPLE.

SpikedLemonade
04-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Of course Mario Williams is going to say that. First, players have to think they are going to win no matter how outmatched they are. Second, even if he thinks the team is garbage and has no chance, he's not going to say that publicly.

I'll be excited for the season when there is some reason to be excited. We lost six starters from last year and have only signed one replacement. We only have 6 draft picks. We have no QB and glaring holes at WR, LB, OG, and CB. We have a paper tiger DL. We have new systems on both sides of the ball. And now we're pissing away limited cap space on a QB who isn't the answer. And, even if the team somehow manages to win some games despite all of that, we will need 13 or 14 wins to beat out NE for the division. We will need at least 10 wins to make a wild card. Neither of those things are going to happen.

We only added Kolb, Lawson and Branch to last year's terrible team, plus we have the learning curve with new systems on both sides of the team. It's completely illogical to be "excited" about that. This team is at least 2 seasons away from being competitive, maybe more.

"but....but....but....at least we still have a NFL team in Buffalo..."

Joe Fo Sho
04-03-2013, 11:57 AM
See the post above yours. EXAMPLE.

I was kind of hoping for examples that prove anything. All he's doing in the above post is speculating on this years signings. He thinks they're not good enough. You (I'm assuming) think they are good enough. Unless you can tell the future, he's just a correct as you are (Schrodinger's Free Agent Signings). Maybe you two have a difference of opinion in what 'good enough' means.

justasportsfan
04-03-2013, 12:00 PM
It's completely illogical to be "excited" about that.

Yikes! 4 years of college and you didn't learn that emotions don't have to be logical?

Joe Fo Sho
04-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Yikes! 4 years of college and you didn't learn that emotions don't have to be logical?

Life is way easier if they are though.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 12:05 PM

I spent my time in college learning how to look at things objectively and take emotion out of it.

Bill Cody
04-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Is Kolb better than Jackson and Corp? Probably, but that's not saying much. He's not a franchise QB. He's not the guy we need.

We will still draft a QB. I will bet you all my Zonebucks on that.

justasportsfan
04-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Life is way easier if they are though.

I agree. I'm still wondering why people marry.

justasportsfan
04-03-2013, 12:09 PM
I spent my time in college learning how to look at things objectively and take emotion out of it.

yet you couldn't logically understand that emotions don't require logic.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
yet you couldn't logically understand that emotions don't require logic.

I don't understand why people post on emotions rather than logic.

If you are "excited" about this team based on emotion and not logic, you are setting yourself up for inevitable disappointment. There is simply no logical reason to be excited about this team, at least not for this season.

Captain Obvious
04-03-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't understand why people post on emotions

You do this all the time.. Jason Pominville misses a wide open net and you're creating a thread once the game is over stating he sucks and he is a terrible hockey player

justasportsfan
04-03-2013, 12:23 PM

If you are "excited" about this team based on emotion and not logic, you are setting yourself up for inevitable disappointment. There is simply no logical reason to be excited about this team, at least not for this season.

being a fan is all about emotions. FANATIC! You didn't learn that in college either?

If the bills makes you upset, why do you keep coming back for more punishment! You're not being logical OP.

TedMock
04-03-2013, 12:30 PM

There have been logical and illogical posts throughout this forum by you and most others. I see both through 11 pages. You're looking at it only from who you are. I get excited for football in general and I just happen to be a Bills fan. I do not anticipate a good year, but I still get excited to watch the games. Of course I watch several aspects of the game and I watch several other games. Where we differ, is that I am just not afraid of a disappointment. I think it's because I do not take it personally. I'm just realistic about what it is. I root for them no matter what and I would rather they be a good team, but I'm not so illogical as to get ridiculously up or down over them. It doesn't hurt me when they're not good. I still enjoy watching the game. I just enjoy it more when they win. It's not a fun or miserable proposition. There is more than one way to approach it. It's understanding what it is.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 12:31 PM
You do this all the time.. Jason Pominville misses a wide open net and you're creating a thread once the game is over stating he sucks and he is a terrible hockey player

True..... I should have made a distinction.

I understand why people get emotional during the games or in the immediate aftermath.

I don't understand why people don't take a step back and look at things objectively between games and during the off-season.

And Pominville is a career loser and I've had NHLN on all day hoping to see something about a trade. No such luck.

feldspar
04-03-2013, 12:37 PM

To actually have any sort of strong emotions about football is itself illogical, if you look at it.

I'm actually excited to see how this d-line is going to look under Marrone...we have lots of talent there. A good pass rush would help our CBs out a lot. I'm sure that we plan to pick up a couple of few starters in the draft, be it at WR, LB, Guard or whatever. There are still some wildcards currently on the roster...some guys could step up or be put in better situations to succeed. We'll pick up a couple of few more free agents too. I think we should move Aaron Williams over to Strong Safety. I have no idea what the Bills will do about QB in the draft...it'll be interesting to see what happens with this year's QB draft class.

Lots of other things will happen before opening kickoff. Nobody's roster is set...far from it.

My expectations are totally tempered if not low, but you never know. I'm not going to slit my throat because the Bills didn't go hog-wild in free agency, though...that's a great way to put yourself in a bad cap spot later on down the line too. A decent coach could make a world of difference.

I can't wait until football season. I'm going to enjoy it no matter what happens, and none of the misery-loves-company douche-bags are going to change that.

feldspar
04-03-2013, 01:36 PM
I don't understand why people don't take a step back and look at things objectively between games and during the off-season.

Most people do, but you just don't think they do because you disagree with them. You seem to think that your opinion is fact and have a low tolerance for opposing opinions. O-P-I-N-I-O-N-S.

For example, you don't like the Kolb signing and think that the money could be better used elsewhere...you've refused to say exactly who the Bills should have spent that money on instead of Kolb over and over, but you still have the OPINION that it's a mistake...without even understanding the contract, which apparently hasn't even been signed yet.

Meanwhile, other people are of the OPINION that the Kolb situation makes a certain amount of sense. Then you turn around and accuse them of "accepting mediocrity," even though you think the Bills are screwed either way regardless. Then when people have a problem with you calling them out based on a difference of OPINION, you say that it's "not about you." Instead, it's about US, and how we accept mediocrity. You judge us based on a simple difference of OPINION, yet are actually incredulous when people return the favor.

Now you are trying to tell us about logic and emotion. LOL. Take a step back and objectively look at yourself and the lack of logic you exhibit that I've just described.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Most people do, but you just don't think they do because you disagree with them. You seem to think that your opinion is fact and have a low tolerance for opposing opinions. O-P-I-N-I-O-N-S.

For example, you don't like the Kolb signing and think that the money could be better used elsewhere...you've refused to say exactly who the Bills should have spent that money on instead of Kolb over and over, but you still have the OPINION that it's a mistake...without even understanding the contract, which apparently hasn't even been signed yet.

Meanwhile, other people are of the OPINION that the Kolb situation makes a certain amount of sense. Then you turn around and accuse them of "accepting mediocrity," even though you think the Bills are screwed either way regardless. Then when people have a problem with you calling them out based on a difference of OPINION, you say that it's "not about you." Instead, it's about US, and how we accept mediocrity. You judge us based on as simple difference of OPINION, yet are actually incredulous when people return the favor.

Now you are trying to tell us about logic and emotion. LOL. Take a step back and objectively look at yourself and the lack of logic that I've just described.

Not all opinions are equal. That's something some of you never seem to understand.

It doesn't matter who else we should sign. It doesn't matter what his contract is. It's a mistake to use any cap space whatsoever on another QB who still isn't the answer. "Well, the move doesn't make sense, but the contract is cheap and we have the cap space cuz there's no one else to sign, so, eh, why not?" Please.

feldspar
04-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Not all opinions are equal. That's something some of you never seem to understand.

Yeah, the only opinions that are equal are the ones that you agree with. I get it.

It's one thing to think you are right--everybody does-- but it's quite another to be a douche-bag about it. Are you actually saying that that some of us never seem to understand that you are always right? That would be called arrogance. NOBODY is always right, especially when we are talking about football, which ain't rocket science. The best minds of the game are routinely wrong about a lot of things.

Opinions are like *******s, everyone's got one.

It doesn't matter who else we should sign. It doesn't matter what his contract is. It's a mistake to use any cap space whatsoever on another QB who still isn't the answer. "Well, the move doesn't make sense, but the contract is cheap and we have the cap space cuz there's no one else to sign, so, eh, why not?" Please.

That's called your OPINION. Thank you for offering it...but why exactly do you feel the need to offer the same opinion 100 times?

On the other hand, a student of logic such as yourself should see that it sure as hell DOES matter who they should have used that cap-space on instead of Kolb...you aren't wasting space unless you can't sign somebody specific that you want to by virtue of the Kolb deal. It matters what his contract is...what if we do something like cut Jackson, start the rookie, and have Kolb be the backup? If you'd rather have Jackson on the roster instead of Kolb, that's your OPINION, and I beg to differ. I would rather have Kolb.

If you think that the whole thing is a ball of crap anyway, then that's your problem. Funny how there is always an "out" involved in your argument.

Goobylal
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
So unless a move is made to get a better, but not top player, it accomplishes nothing? Check please!

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 03:02 PM
So unless a move is made to get a better, but not top player, it accomplishes nothing? Check please!

wrong.

There is a lot of middle ground between Kevin Kolb and "top player." They don't have to be top players- they just have to be good. Once again, signing players who aren't good because they're less bad than what we have still won't give us a good team.

Mad Bomber
04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
My response to the Kolb move is a resounding MEH.

better days
04-03-2013, 03:32 PM
wrong.

There is a lot of middle ground between Kevin Kolb and "top player." They don't have to be top players- they just have to be good. Once again, signing players who aren't good because they're less bad than what we have still won't give us a good team.

If you could say Kolb is NOT good with certainty, I would agree with you he was not worth signing. But you can't say that. Kolb has never played on a GOOD team or had even a DECENT OL in front of him. We will find out if he is GOOD or not & it won't cost much to do so.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-03-2013, 03:37 PM
If you could say Kolb is NOT good with certainty, I would agree with you he was not worth signing. But you can't say that. Kolb has never played on a GOOD team or had even a DECENT OL in front of him. We will find out if he is GOOD or not & it won't cost much to do so.

Kolb played on 9, 10, and 11 win Eagles teams that had an All-Pro left tackle and quite a bit of talent at the skill positions (McCoy, Jackson, Celek, etc). Even then he wasn't anything special.

trapezeus
04-03-2013, 03:38 PM

but you also are the guy that's convinced that tebow is a good qb and will be seen as an exceelent QB in due time?

kolb is injury prone and won't survive a full season. i'm fine with him being on team because it gives the bills an ability to get OL and LB at8. and then they can reach for bray in the second round. but if no one is there, they aren't totally screwed with a tjax injury.

i think kolb gives them a chance to fill in the roster more and not ruin a young qb.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 03:46 PM

Well Vick did fine behind the same OL in Philly.....

And of course, it's NEVER the player's fault. It has to be the coach or the OL or the pass rush or the system....

Oh, and are you really advocating a strategy of signing players who have never been good on the off-chance that they'll be good? Come on. That's exactly what I mean by desperation.

better days
04-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Kolb played on 9, 10, and 11 win Eagles teams that had an All-Pro left tackle and quite a bit of talent at the skill positions (McCoy, Jackson, Celek, etc). Even then he wasn't anything special.

Well, he was SPECIAL ENOUGH that the Cards traded Cromartie who was talked about as the best CB at the time as well as a 2nd rnd pick to the Eagles. As well as pay Kolb a HUGE contract.

Yeah, teams give up that little all the time for nothing special.

better days
04-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Well Vick did fine behind the same OL in Philly.....

And of course, it's NEVER the player's fault. It has to be the coach or the OL or the pass rush or the system....

Oh, and are you really advocating a strategy of signing players who have never been good on the off-chance that they'll be good? Come on. That's exactly what I mean by desperation.

Kolb played well in Philly the little he played there. Desperation is what the Cards gave up to get Kolb as well as the contract they gave him. The Bills offered him a no risk low money contract.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Well, he was SPECIAL ENOUGH that the Cards traded Cromartie who was talked about as the best CB at the time as well as a 2nd rnd pick to the Eagles. As well as pay Kolb a HUGE contract.

Yeah, teams give up that little all the time for nothing special.

First off, it wasn't Cromartie, it was Rodgers-Cromartie which is an enormous difference. Antonio Cromartie was traded to the Jets by San Diego, not the Cards to the Eagles. Second, DRC has never, anywhere, ever been called "the best CB" in any context. He has flirted with greatness and strugged with inconsistency, and found much more of the latter. He is effectively McKelvin's long-lost twin brother. And third, Andy Reid has fleeced many people in trades, including us.

better days
04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
but you also are the guy that's convinced that tebow is a good qb and will be seen as an exceelent QB in due time?

kolb is injury prone and won't survive a full season. i'm fine with him being on team because it gives the bills an ability to get OL and LB at8. and then they can reach for bray in the second round. but if no one is there, they aren't totally screwed with a tjax injury.

i think kolb gives them a chance to fill in the roster more and not ruin a young qb.

I agree Kolb is injury prone & if you look at my posts, I have pointed that out MANY times.

I'm I Tebow fan, GUILTY as charged.

better days
04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
First off, it wasn't Cromartie, it was Rodgers-Cromartie which is an enormous difference. Antonio Cromartie was traded to the Jets by San Diego, not the Cards to the Eagles. Second, DRC has never, anywhere, ever been called "the best CB" in any context. He has flirted with greatness and strugged with inconsistency, and found much more of the latter. He is effectively McKelvin's long-lost twin brother. And third, Andy Reid has fleeced many people in trades, including us.

Yes, Rogers -Cromartie. And at the time of that trade, he was talkd about as the best or one of the best CBs in the NFL. A VER GOOD coverage corner.

And if you think Andy Reed fleeced the Bills , you know NOTHING. As often as Wood has been injured, I would still take him over Peters.

feldspar
04-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Desperation is what the Cards gave up to get Kolb as well as the contract they gave him. The Bills offered him a no risk low money contract.

Thank you. This is the basic gist of it. The Bills are looking to upgrade the most important position in sports with a reasonable contract on the best available free agent, whether it be at starter or backup...hopefully backup. You NEED a QB, the Bills haven't got one, and the draft is questionable at the position. Competition and upgrade...that is what is happening. In my OPINION, if Kolb is less than stellar and yet still better than Jackson (who could always be cut), it was worth it. Let whoever earn the spot. Some may disagree, but repeating it over and over doesn't make them more right.

Nice to know that Opie completely ignores posts when he's been trumped...he thinks his opinion is fact, I'm convinced of it. Kolb's contract, who NOBODY knows the exact details of yet, will only be too high if it prevents the Bills from acquiring players they want because they've run out of cap-space AND Kolb makes no difference on this team, something that really can't be known before the fact. "Sign somebody else instead" takes on ZERO meaning unless you can specifically state WHO you want to sign, and that you were unable to sign that person because Kolb's contract got in the way.

His argument falls to pieces.

If you don't like Kolb or something like that, just say that. Fine, state your opinion. No problem. But be a douche-bag about it, and then you make it about yourself. Yeah, we never understand that all opinions are equal...Opie is right...I wonder what he'd do with himself if everyone agreed with him...

better days
04-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Op LOVES to argue. And I do like Op or I would ignore him instead of arguing with him ALL the time. But you & I are on the same page. NO risk, potential reward signing Kolb.

feldspar
04-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Op LOVES to argue. And I do like Op or I would ignore him instead of arguing with him ALL the time. But you & I are on the same page. NO risk, potential reward signing Kolb.

Just wait...the Kolb deal is not finalized. If it should fall through for any reason, Opie is liable to ***** about how the Bills were so incompetent that they could not seal the deal, even though he was dead-set against it in the first place.

DraftBoy
04-03-2013, 04:42 PM
"Upgrades for this team" are not necessarily solutions. See, um, Kevin Kolb.

Oh for the love of God. Just admit you didnt even bother to check the FA market and let's move on.

feldspar
04-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Oh for the love of God. Just admit you didnt even bother to check the FA market and let's move on.

Great post.

He most obviously has not bothered to check the free-agency market. That much is clear. Should kinda be aware of the FA market if you follow the sport and decide to spout off on everyone.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Thank you. This is the basic gist of it. The Bills are looking to upgrade the most important position in sports with a reasonable contract on the best available free agent, whether it be at starter or backup...hopefully backup. You NEED a QB, the Bills haven't got one, and the draft is questionable at the position. Competition and upgrade...that is what is happening. In my OPINION, if Kolb is less than stellar and yet still better than Jackson (who could always be cut), it was worth it. Let whoever earn the spot. Some may disagree, but repeating it over and over doesn't make them more right.

Nice to know that Opie completely ignores posts when he's been trumped...he thinks his opinion is fact, I'm convinced of it. Kolb's contract, who NOBODY knows the exact details of yet, will only be too high if it prevents the Bills from acquiring players they want because they've run out of cap-space AND Kolb makes no difference on this team, something that really can't be known before the fact. "Sign somebody else instead" takes on ZERO meaning unless you can specifically state WHO you want to sign, and that you were unable to sign that person because Kolb's contract got in the way.

His argument falls to pieces.

If you don't like Kolb or something like that, just say that. Fine, state your opinion. No problem. But be a douche-bag about it, and then you make it about yourself. Yeah, we never understand that all opinions are equal...Opie is right...I wonder what he'd do with himself if everyone agreed with him...

First, Kolb wasn't good in Philly. He was merely OK- http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8290.

And that was on a much better team than what we currently have. And it's pretty selective to take his OK stats from Philly while throwing out his bad stats from AZ. So I wasn't trumped. And I didn't ignore the post- sorry if I have a life outside of this message board and wasn't available to respond within seconds.

Second, you're obsessed with this "signing someone else" thing. Wasting cap is wasting cap, period. There is only so much of it. "Best available" and "good" are two different things. We are wasting cap space on someone who isn't good. We had a hole at QB without Kolb, we still have a hole at QB with Kolb and less cap space to address our other holes. Whether or not I have a name of someone else to sign has absolutely zero bearing on that fact.

And third, the people arguing with me repeat the same things over and over again too, which is why I have to repeat myself. But I don't see you complaining about their repetition. More "shoot the messenger" syndrome. You can't refute my points and you don't want to hear the reality, so you make it about me to change the topic, then accuse me of trying to make it about myself.

There is no point in using cap space on a QB who is not the answer. We've already used a draft pick and cap space on Jackson and we have Fitz's dead cap. Throwing even $1 at Kolb is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 05:10 PM

Using cap space is never "no risk" and the potential for reward is extremely small. Hence, desperation.

feldspar
04-03-2013, 05:40 PM
First, Kolb wasn't good in Philly. He was merely OK- http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8290.

And that was on a much better team than what we currently have. And it's pretty selective to take his OK stats from Philly while throwing out his bad stats from AZ. So I wasn't trumped. And I didn't ignore the post- sorry if I have a life outside of this message board and wasn't available to respond within seconds.

I never mentioned stats anywhere. I don't believe they are the sum measure of a QB, especially when the sample size could be bigger.

You did ignore post #221, although perhaps you didn't see it. With going on 70,000 posts, it's questionable what kind of life you have outside these boards if all you do is ***** on them...think about that. My theory is that you are a *****...sorry, that you enjoy *****ing...didn't mean to insult you there.

Second, you're obsessed with this "signing someone else" thing. Wasting cap is wasting cap, period. There is only so much of it. "Best available" and "good" are two different things. We are wasting cap space on someone who isn't good. We had a hole at QB without Kolb, we still have a hole at QB with Kolb and less cap space to address our other holes. Whether or not I have a name of someone else to sign has absolutely zero bearing on that fact.

I'm fine and not obsessed with anything we've talked about. However...

Way to completely dodge the whole entire meat of your argument. You should be a politician, or somebody that talks from both corners of his mouth. You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about unless you are able to address the free agent market. WE ARE TO ASSUME THAT THIS MONEY COULD BE BETTER SPENT! THAT'S YOUR ENTIRE POINT. The natural question is "who should be get?" When you say that is irrelevant, all I see is you dodging the question because you are ignorant of the answer.

YOU ARE THE ONE MAKING CLAIMS. YOU ARE THE ONE INSINUATING THAT THERE ARE MUCH BETTER SIGNINGS TO BE HAD OUT THERE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THOSE SIGNINGS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ISN'T A MAGICAL POOL OF FREE AGENTS OUT THERE!!!! HOPEFULLY THE CAPITOL LETTERS WILL MAKE YOU REALIZE THESE THINGS!!!!

That's the whole point of your whole argument. We have less money to spend on WHO? Your whole ****** argument stems on that, yet it isn't important? The particulars aren't important? So, I guess we are to assume that, even though the whole season is already DONE and we have no hope no matter what (you said that), we should go out and invent free agents to pick up that will...what will they do again?

And third, the people arguing with me repeat the same things over and over again too, which is why I have to repeat myself. But I don't see you complaining about their repetition. More "shoot the messenger" syndrome. You can't refute my points and you don't want to hear the reality, so you make it about me to change the topic, then accuse me of trying to make it about myself.

Nothing more worthwhile than a circular argument.

Again, a big part of that is because this is your bogus thread, and you will not answer certain questions. You won't concede anybody's point, either; instead, you just repeat yourself, and SEVERAL other people try to disagree.

AGAIN, who do you want in free agency, you know so much? DO YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT? I think that may be the case, as you have gone to such lengths to ignore the repeated requests.

There is no point in using cap space on a QB who is not the answer. We've already used a draft pick and cap space on Jackson and we have Fitz's dead cap. Throwing even $1 at Kolb is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Thanks for your opinion. I disagree. I think that Kolb could be a stop-gap or a decent backup, depending on a whole bunch of variables that have not come into play yet.

BertSquirtgum
04-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Die thread, die. I hate you.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
I never mentioned stats anywhere. I don't believe they are the sum measure of a QB, especially when the sample size could be bigger.

You did ignore post #221, although perhaps you didn't see it. With going on 70,000 posts, it's questionable what kind of life you have outside these boards if all you do is ***** on them...think about that. My theory is that you are a *****...sorry, that you enjoy *****ing...didn't mean to insult you there.

I'm fine and not obsessed with anything we've talked about. However...

Way to completely dodge the whole entire meat of your argument. You should be a politician, or somebody that talks from both corners of his mouth. You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about unless you are able to address the free agent market. WE ARE TO ASSUME THAT THIS MONEY COULD BE BETTER SPENT! THAT'S YOUR ENTIRE POINT. The natural question is "who should be get?" When you say that is irrelevant, all I see is you dodging the question because you are ignorant of the answer.

YOU ARE THE ONE MAKING CLAIMS. YOU ARE THE ONE INSINUATING THAT THERE ARE MUCH BETTER SIGNINGS TO BE HAD OUT THERE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THOSE SIGNINGS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ISN'T A MAGICAL POOL OF FREE AGENTS OUT THERE!!!! HOPEFULLY THE CAPITOL LETTERS WILL MAKE YOU REALIZE THESE THINGS!!!!

That's the whole point of your whole argument. We have less money to spend on WHO? Your whole ****** argument stems on that, yet it isn't important? The particulars aren't important? So, I guess we are to assume that, even though the whole season is already DONE and we have no hope no matter what (you said that), we should go out and invent free agents to pick up that will...what will they do again?

Nothing more worthwhile than a circular argument.

Again, a big part of that is because this is your bogus thread, and you will not answer certain questions. You won't concede anybody's point, either; instead, you just repeat yourself, and SEVERAL other people try to disagree.

AGAIN, who do you want in free agency, you know so much? DO YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT? I think that may be the case, as you have gone to such lengths to ignore the repeated requests.

Thanks for your opinion. I disagree. I think that Kolb could be a stop-gap or a decent backup, depending on a whole bunch of variables that have not come into play yet.
You want a name of someone we should sign? Levitre. Now I'm sure Kolbs cap hit will be less than his, but I cannot for the life of me understand why we would let a proven player like Levitre walk then waste cap space on a blind shot in the dark like Kolb.

And don't forget we have players on our team who will be FA's next year that could be extended.

better days
04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Using cap space is never "no risk" and the potential for reward is extremely small. Hence, desperation.

The risk is NIL, ZERO. I just read the Bills are one of 11 teams with over $10 MILLION in Cap space. The Bills have $16.3 Million as of NOW. There is NO desperation except from you trying to defend this STUPID thread.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Oh and your opinion sucks. You know why? Because my opinion is based on stats and results on the field. Your opinion is that you choose to ignore stats with a cop out about stats not being a good measure for a QB, and an assumption that Kolb can be better behind a better OL based on, well, nothing really.

See, not all opinions are equal. Maybe people would respect your opinions more if you put some substance behind them.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 08:06 PM
The risk is NIL, ZERO. I just read the Bills are one of 11 teams with over $10 MILLION in Cap space. The Bills have $16.3 Million as of NOW. There is NO desperation except from you trying to defend this STUPID thread.

There is ALWAYS a risk in using cap space. It's a GOOD player that we can't sign or a good player that we can't extend. Just because we have the cap space doesn't mean we should waste it. That's terrible logic.

Oh, and on a semi-related note, everyone keeps telling me that we have cap space and that there are still good FA's available. No one seems to know why we aren't signing anyone.

Captain Obvious
04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
No one seems to know why we aren't signing anyone.

They signed someone yesterday

feldspar
04-03-2013, 08:24 PM
You want a name of someone we should sign? Levitre. Now I'm sure Kolbs cap hit will be less than his, but I cannot for the life of me understand why we would let a proven player like Levitre walk then waste cap space on a blind shot in the dark like Kolb.

LOL, I think they should have re-signed Levitre too. That in no way demonstrates your understanding of the free agent market, however. $8 million per year is steep for a Guard, which is an example of why a lot of teams let good players go...but I would have done all I could to sign him, so I don't even disagree with you there. I guess that makes me right. The Levitre ship had sailed even before this whole Kolb deal, though, didn't it? Was Levitre signed by the Titans before Kolb was released?

Talk about non-Bills players, please...players than have never been Bills. Levitre is a convenient copout to mask your underlying lack of knowledge about the market. I don't think you can name other non-Bills players...prove me wrong. You simply are not aware of the free agent pool, nor have you ever been aware of it.

One player...Levitre...LOL. You have no idea what you are talking about if you can't see the big free agent picture, which is basically what you are talking about. You are displaying magical thinking tendencies. "Get someone else, instead."

Guys like Levitre hit pay-dirt on the open market.

Goobylal
04-03-2013, 08:54 PM

And don't forget we have players on our team who will be FA's next year that could be extended.
Levitre was sorely overpaid for a guy who in his 4 years in the NFL wasn't even given a token joke Pro Bowl nomination. Hell I don't even think he was ever even an alternate. But the Bills should have paid him $7.8M/year to be a good pass blocker but weak run blocker? LOL!

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 08:56 PM
They signed someone yesterday

We lost six starters. They've signed 3 guys. You do the math.