PDA

View Full Version : Still the better #9

Mski
04-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Buffalo definately won the derek roy trade....

he was sooo good for them, he was just traded to Van for a couple picks

trapezeus
04-02-2013, 11:27 AM
and we got a future captain. not bad at all.

rbochan
04-02-2013, 11:58 AM
So basically they traded a 2nd, a prospect, Hodgson, and Sulzer for Roy, Gragnani, and Kassian.

:lmao:

PTI
04-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Ott has 5 goals and 13 assists for 18 points in 36 games and is just over 50% on faceoffs and plays a lot on the first and second line.

Roy has 4 goals and 18 assists for 22 points in 30 games and is just under 50% on faceoffs and is an unrestricted FA.

I don't know how anyone can legit say the Sabres won the trade yet. Dallas got the Canucks best DMan prospect in their organization and a 2nd round pick.

gebobs
04-02-2013, 01:10 PM
2nd round pick and prospect Kevin Connauton.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=663533&navid=nhl:topheads

gebobs
04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Sorry...just saw the other thread. Mods you may delete.

SkateZilla
04-02-2013, 01:50 PM
tell him to say hi to Kassian

G Wolly
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't know how anyone can legit say the Sabres won the trade yet.

Well. Ott is way less of a pansy than Roy was/is, so yeah, we won that trade easy.

PTI
04-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Steve the Pirate is not nearly as good as Derek Roy as a player.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Steve the Pirate is not nearly as good as Derek Roy as a player.

Uh, Roy's stats were only slightly better than Ott's, minus the toughness. The toughness and the way he gets under the skin of the other team is worth far more than the extra goal or two we would have gotten out of Roy.

Mski
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Uh, Roy's stats were only slightly better than Ott's, minus the toughness. The toughness and the way he gets under the skin of the other team is worth far more than the extra goal or two we would have gotten out of Roy.
how about plays with heart, doesnt turtle, doesnt constantly dive and whine to the refs about calls [although he was called for diving sunday:idunno: ] the team actually plays better with him on the roster than without

PTI
04-02-2013, 04:09 PM

OK, there you go, you are saying for we would have got. Does not mean at all Ott is better than Roy, Roy has superior talent, has demonstrated it throughout the years, way better stats, Roy has more career goals then Ott has assists. Talented players coached well win, we had a talented player who was not coached well. I would Rather have all Derek Roys and my win would beat your team of all Steve Otts. Talent wins.

Mski
04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
OK, there you go, you are saying for we would have got. Does not mean at all Ott is better than Roy, Roy has superior talent, has demonstrated it throughout the years, way better stats, Roy has more career goals then Ott has assists. Talented players coached well win, we had a talented player who was not coached well. I would Rather have all Derek Roys and my win would beat your team of all Steve Otts. Talent wins.
how quickly we forget the sabres of the late 90's... hardest working team in the league, not nearly that talented save for one guy, made it to tripple ot in game 6 of the cup finals... hard work and grit will beat out pansy lifeless skill

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 04:14 PM

Yeah, Roy's so talented that he's been traded twice in under a year.

Mski
04-02-2013, 04:15 PM
now find me a player with the drive of ott and the skill of roy and you'll end up with one of the best players in the league

but its not about skill vs grit, its who you'd rather have on your team... Roy is cancer, talented with no drive... Ott is all drive/heart/grit [what ever you want to call it] with less skill than Roy... but i'll take a team of ott's over a team of Roy's 10 time out of ten

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
now find me a player with the drive of ott and the skill of roy and you'll end up with one of the best players in the league

but its not about skill vs grit, its who you'd rather have on your team... Roy is cancer, talented with no drive... Ott is all drive/heart/grit [what ever you want to call it] with less skill than Roy... but i'll take a team of ott's over a team of Roy's 10 time out of ten

Because a team of Roy's will roll over and die in a 7 game series against a team of Ott's 10 out of 10 times.

PTI
04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Yeah, Roy's so talented that he's been traded twice in under a year.

So has Regehr, and several other players. Iginla and Jagr traded, Jagr has been traded a few times. Roy has about the same points per game as Iginla for his career.

By all accounts Roy has had more success than Ott with less playing time too:

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/3/5/4063818/dallas-stars-derek-roy-center-trade

More dead wrong guys who do not understand it takes talent to win.

ALso, that team had Hasek, HOF one of the best 5 goalies ever, they had no talent and crap coach, that is why they could not win.

Freaking LA Kings won the Cup last year, best team defense, timely scoring, you need an on fire goalie regardless. Bruins won the year before with an on fire goalie. Without an on fire goalie you must have supreme talent like the recent Black Hawks and some of the Red Wings teams.

Skooby
04-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Roy is so valuable that he keeps getting traded, to the next sucker.

mightysimi
04-02-2013, 09:20 PM
I have to say that I am surprised about the Roy trade. Not so much now but what do you do with him when Kesler is healthy? He can't be a checker. However with the tradition of drafting in Van, trading picks is hardly an issue. Connaughton is not really a huge loss, he was drafted in 08 or 09. IF you haven't even been called up once in that time, you might not have what it takes. However, to be fair, Van does have some pretty excellent D men.

OpIv37
04-02-2013, 11:36 PM
So has Regehr, and several other players. Iginla and Jagr traded, Jagr has been traded a few times. Roy has about the same points per game as Iginla for his career.

By all accounts Roy has had more success than Ott with less playing time too:

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/3/5/4063818/dallas-stars-derek-roy-center-trade

More dead wrong guys who do not understand it takes talent to win.

ALso, that team had Hasek, HOF one of the best 5 goalies ever, they had no talent and crap coach, that is why they could not win.

Freaking LA Kings won the Cup last year, best team defense, timely scoring, you need an on fire goalie regardless. Bruins won the year before with an on fire goalie. Without an on fire goalie you must have supreme talent like the recent Black Hawks and some of the Red Wings teams.
Roy is not talent. Just look at the team's record when he was here. **** him- he's garbage.

Crisis
04-03-2013, 03:09 AM
For as ****ty as this team goes, how many times have any of you said during a game... "Wow, I really miss Roy!"

I'll take Ott for Roy 7 days of the week. Roy isn't a bad player, in fact he should do well playing behind the Sedins... but his time here had run its course.

trapezeus
04-03-2013, 07:22 AM
roy tweeted a parting shot at dallas on his trade. something to the effect, "looking forward to going to a team with a work ethic and talent."

in roy's world, roy is the smartest guy in the world. and he doesn't listen to anyone but himself. sure he gets goals, but when was the last time he was clutch for the sabres. when the sabres were down 1 with under 5, when did you say, "put out the roy line?"

roy was the best kid in his junior hockey team growing up and never learned to be a team guy.

PTI
04-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Wow, lots of sour grapes out here.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 10:13 AM

You're the one defending a guy who didn't accomplish anything here. We were never going to win with him. Period. Just like we won't win with Pominville and Stafford.

gebobs
04-03-2013, 10:34 AM
There's no question that Roy has more talent. The problem is that he's a small forward in a league that has gotten bigger and bigger and he just doesn't have enough talent and speed to compensate for it.

Comparing Ott to Roy is hard. Apples and oranges. Roy has better hands, a better shot, better passing, skates better. Ott is a better hitter, better at the draw, plays with more energy, and is more physical.

If you could put both players in the same skates, you'd have an MVP. Apart, they are valuable though flawed players. You need both kinds of players on a team.

Roy is UFA after this year. I doubt he'll get a boost on his current contract. I put him at about $4M. At that price, there will be a few teams interested in what he brings. The Sabres won't be one of them.

Ott is signed through next year for $3.2M. I think he's maxed out too. I expect the Sabres will extend.

gebobs
04-03-2013, 10:38 AM
No sour grapes here. Since the day we lost Briere and Drury and Roy was asked to fill in, I have said that he wasn't good enough to go up against the opposition's best cover line.

SabreEleven
04-03-2013, 11:18 AM
roy tweeted a parting shot at dallas on his trade. something to the effect, "looking forward to going to a team with a work ethic and talent."

in roy's world, roy is the smartest guy in the world. and he doesn't listen to anyone but himself. sure he gets goals, but when was the last time he was clutch for the sabres. when the sabres were down 1 with under 5, when did you say, "put out the roy line?"

roy was the best kid in his junior hockey team growing up and never learned to be a team guy.

Was he talking about the Sabres or the Stars or both?

gebobs
04-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Was he talking about the Sabres or the Stars or both?

Probably every team he played for.

trapezeus
04-03-2013, 11:51 AM
think it was at dallas...again, i saw it from another feed and i dont remember who. but the journalist said, "roy takes final shot at dallas" and quoted what i said above

if roy stayed quiet in buffalo but had nasty stuff to say about dallas, imagine how bad dallas is.

G Wolly
04-04-2013, 02:25 AM
Regardless, he's Vancouver's problem now.

Ott, and the rarely used Pardy are greater than Roy was alone on this team.

black N yellow
04-04-2013, 04:45 AM
this reminds me what a glorious day it was when Roy left the Sabres.