PDA

View Full Version : 2013: Tyler Eifert and Ryan Nassib

BillsImpossible
04-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Hello to all, first post here. Thank you, Billszone.com

It's been a long 13 years, but I think the playoff drought will soon end. The 13 year Baktun cycle of the Flutie's Mayan calendar has ended.

From 1987-2000 the Bills had 13 years of good football. And then came the cliff of Flutie's 13 year curse after being benched in the 1999 Homerun Throwback game - the last time the Buffalo Bills were in a playoff game.

IT'S OVER!

It can't last forever! Voodoo dolls can only be poked so many times. Yes I'm joking, kind of...

So I was looking at the Bills draft history this evening, and this idea crossed my mind.

30 years ago...

1983: Tony Hunter and Jim Kelly were drafted by the Bills.

Not exactly 1 and 2, but the TE from ND was drafted first ahead of Kelly!

2013: Tyler Eifert and Ryan Nassib?

Eifert went to Notre Dame, and Nassib is from PA!

Irrelevant coincidences, Doug Flutie and the Mayans aside, I think it's a good idea.

Eifert can help control the line of scrimmage as a blocker, help the offense as an excellent pass catching TE, and help the wide receivers by commanding a lot of secondary and linebacker attention (if he's that good.) Some people are saying he has the best hands of the entire draft class, wide receivers included. The Bills need a lot of help on offense, and Eifert seems to be the perfect place to start filling the holes with a 3 for 1 draft pick. He's a TE, a blocking lineman, and a wide receiver all in one that will immediately help the Bills offense. An excellent Tight End is often a quarterback's best friend.

Hopefully he has a better career than Tony Hunter, and the Bills go 2 for 2 in the first 2 rounds of the 2013 NFL Draft.

Nassib can compete for the starting job in camp, but likely won't beat out Kolb based on a lack of experience alone, not talent. But Kolb is injury prone, and by week 6 or 7 at best (based on Kolb's previous history) the Bill's rookie quarterback (whoever it will be) will be calling the plays. If the Bills draft Nassib, they will have a unique advantage compared to most rookie quarterback situations in the NFL. Has there ever been a QB with the same college coach (Tannehill) AND the same college offensive coordinator? Most people are saying this NFL QB draft class isn't special, one of the worst in years, but I don't buy that. If Tony Romo can go from being undrafted to a $100+ million quarterback, anything is possible!

stuckincincy
04-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Welcome aboard!

Tatonka
04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
first off. welcome aboard.

second, i am down with those two picks.. although i wouldnt take a TE that early.. if we could trade down, id be fine with it.

MTBillsFan
04-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Sounds good to me!

Mr. Miyagi
04-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Welcome BillsImpossible. What a well thought out first post, way better than most people here. :D

I like Eifert but not at #8, and we won't be able to trade down so we'll be stuck at #8 taking BPA, probably either Patterson or one of the OLmen.

better days
04-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Pat Kirwin said Eifert was a 3rd or 4th rnd pick.

swiper
04-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Weren't the Bills pretty stacked at LB when Kelly and Hunter were taken? Wasn't Shane Conlan on the team? We need some serious LBs. And Nassib and Eifert are far from Kelly and Hunter. However... welcome.

justasportsfan
04-03-2013, 08:08 AM

It's been a long 13 years, but I think the playoff drought will soon end. The 13 year Baktun cycle of the Flutie's Mayan calendar has ended.

From 1987-2000 the Bills had 13 years of good football. And then came the cliff of Flutie's 13 year curse after being benched in the 1999 Homerun Throwback game - the last time the Buffalo Bills were in a playoff game.

IT'S OVER!

Welcome BillsIMpossible. Have you met OPiv37 ?????

Albany,n.y.
04-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Weren't the Bills pretty stacked at LB when Kelly and Hunter were taken? Wasn't Shane Conlan on the team? We need some serious LBs. And Nassib and Eifert are far from Kelly and Hunter. However... welcome.

The Bills drafted 2 LBs in the 1983 draft: 2nd round pick Darryl Talley & 4th round pick Trey Junkin who ended up playing TE & LS. The depth chart at the time of the draft had the 4 starting linebackers as Lucius Sanford, Jim Haslett, Eugene Marve and Ervin Parker.
Shane Conlan wasn't drafted until 1987 when the Bills linebacking was a total mess until Conlan was drafted & the team traded for Bennett.

swiper
04-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Marve, Haslett, and Sanford were all decent LBs at the time.

TedMock
04-03-2013, 08:52 AM

I was thinking Eifert could make sense in the 2nd, depending on how things fall. If the teams have him as a 3rd like Kirwin does, I like him there even better.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-03-2013, 09:17 AM
There are some tight ends that can justify a Top 10 pick, but I don't think Eifert is one of them. To be honest, if we really want Nassib I'd rather get him at #8 and take either Eifert or Ertz at #41.

better days
04-03-2013, 09:25 AM
There are some tight ends that can justify a Top 10 pick, but I don't think Eifert is one of them. To be honest, if we really want Nassib I'd rather get him at #8 and take either Eifert or Ertz at #41.

There is a lot of talk that the Jets are really interested in Nassib. If the Bills REALLY want him, I think they need to draft him in the 1st rnd. And if the Bills trade down, if the Jets REALLY want him, they may take him at #9.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-03-2013, 09:51 AM
There is a lot of talk that the Jets are really interested in Nassib. If the Bills REALLY want him, I think they need to draft him in the 1st rnd. And if the Bills trade down, if the Jets REALLY want him, they may take him at #9.

TBH, I think it's unlikely that anyone takes Nassib before our 2nd pick. But if they think he's a franchise QB, don't pussyfoot around trying to be cute about draft value. Just take him and call it a day.

better days
04-03-2013, 11:04 AM
TBH, I think it's unlikely that anyone takes Nassib before our 2nd pick. But if they think he's a franchise QB, don't pussyfoot around trying to be cute about draft value. Just take him and call it a day.

He may be there at #41, but if the Jets want him as reported, they may take him at #39. If the Bills trade down, & the Jets REALLY want him, they may take him at #9, thinking the Bills will take him later in the 1st rnd.

jwenger
04-03-2013, 12:12 PM
He may be there at #41, but if the Jets want him as reported, they may take him at #39. If the Bills trade down, & the Jets REALLY want him, they may take him at #9, thinking the Bills will take him later in the 1st rnd.

The Jets can have him. I'd rather have Manuel. Wait and see who
materializes as the better NFL QB. It will be Manuel. He has the IT factor
that Nassib lacks.

swiper
04-03-2013, 01:05 PM
EJ Manuel. ROFLMFAO.

Bert102176
04-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I would love Eifert even at 8

BertSquirtgum
04-03-2013, 09:08 PM
I'd rather have Barkley than Nassib

BertSquirtgum
04-03-2013, 09:09 PM
EJ Manuel. ROFLMFAO.

You aren't very smart are you? That's rhetorical. Please don't feel as if you should answer it. Have you watched the kid play? He has a very good chance at becoming a good quarterback in the NFL. With some time learning a system I feel that he will be a better quarterback than mean Gene Smith in the long run.

Buffalo Billy Bison
04-03-2013, 09:54 PM

IT'S OVER!

It can't last forever! Voodoo dolls can only be poked so many times. Yes I'm joking, kind of...

So I was looking at the Bills draft history this evening, and this idea crossed my mind.

30 years ago...

1983: Tony Hunter and Jim Kelly were drafted by the Bills.

Not exactly 1 and 2, but the TE from ND was drafted first ahead of Kelly!

2013: Tyler Eifert and Ryan Nassib?

Eifert went to Notre Dame, and Nassib is from PA!

Irrelevant coincidences, Doug Flutie and the Mayans aside, I think it's a good idea.

Eifert can help control the line of scrimmage as a blocker, help the offense as an excellent pass catching TE, and help the wide receivers by commanding a lot of secondary and linebacker attention (if he's that good.) Some people are saying he has the best hands of the entire draft class, wide receivers included. The Bills need a lot of help on offense, and Eifert seems to be the perfect place to start filling the holes with a 3 for 1 draft pick. He's a TE, a blocking lineman, and a wide receiver all in one that will immediately help the Bills offense. An excellent Tight End is often a quarterback's best friend.

Hopefully he has a better career than Tony Hunter, and the Bills go 2 for 2 in the first 2 rounds of the 2013 NFL Draft.

Nassib can compete for the starting job in camp, but likely won't beat out Kolb based on a lack of experience alone, not talent. But Kolb is injury prone, and by week 6 or 7 at best (based on Kolb's previous history) the Bill's rookie quarterback (whoever it will be) will be calling the plays. If the Bills draft Nassib, they will have a unique advantage compared to most rookie quarterback situations in the NFL. Has there ever been a QB with the same college coach (Tannehill) AND the same college offensive coordinator? Most people are saying this NFL QB draft class isn't special, one of the worst in years, but I don't buy that. If Tony Romo can go from being undrafted to a $100+ million quarterback, anything is possible!

Did anyone think to call and ask Flutie to remove his curse, that we have had enough and is not fair to the fans that loved him and felt bad when Johnson was put in for him! Please call!

Tatonka
04-03-2013, 11:27 PM
What has Jeff done to say he has the it factor. Not hating. Just wondering

JoeMama
04-03-2013, 11:57 PM

Pat Kirwin would also be unemployed if he didn't inflate player's value.