PDA

View Full Version : The Bills Defense Might Surprise Everyone In 2013

BillsImpossible
04-02-2013, 08:48 PM
The Houston Texans had one of the worst defenses in the NFL in 2010. And then came Wade Phillips, a DC who actually knew how to coach defense.

I knew we were screwed in the home opener against the Jets when Wannstedt continually put the Bills D in a position to fail. Imagine how the players felt week after week, thinking to themselves, "WTF is this guy calling?" The morale of the defense suffered in large part due to who was calling the defensive plays. But Wannstedt is (thank the Lord) gone, and Pettine is now in. The boost in morale alone should work wonders.

Consider this article...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/928577-houston-texans-the-worst-to-first-ranked-defense-in-the-nfl

"People thought Shaun Cody was too small. People thought Mario Williams was too big. People thought Connor Barwin was too inexperienced, that Brooks Reed was too young and JJ Watt was unnecessary. People thought Glover Quinn was a bad player, that Brian Cushing was only good because he was on steroids and that Wade Phillips was more hype than substance.

People were wrong.

There are plenty of people that deserve credit on this defense, but no one deserves more credit than Wade Phillips.

Houston's new defensive coordinator came in during a lockout shortened offseason to revamp one of the worst defenses in the NFL. The Texans were giving up 376 yards per game and 26.7 points per game. Those are stats that make it next to impossible to win in the NFL.

However, with almost no time to install his defense, Phillips managed to take six players that had never played in a 3-4 system and get them ready to be the best defense in the NFL before their bye week."

-------------------------

Mike Pettine can turn this defense around quickly. It's been done before, and it can happen again. I'd be very excited if I were Arthur Moats or Nigel Bradham for they now know that they have a coach who will put them in positions to succeed and win in the NFL.

Did the Texans' have players like Byrd, Dareus, and Kyle Williams?

The only bad thing is that if Pettine turns the Bills D around in one year like Wade Phillips did with the Texans, he's going to be offered a head coaching position elsewhere with a very high price tag.

better days
04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
IMO, the Biggest mistake Ralph has made as an owner was to let Wade get away.

cookie G
04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Pettine's the one person who gives a glimmer of hope to next season.

Can he turn the underachievers into players?

We'll see.

Tatonka
04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
i hope our worst problem is that the d is so good that our d coordinator is a HC candidate.

JoeMama
04-02-2013, 09:42 PM
I realized my folly in wanting Wade to get fired sometime in 2002.

Gregg Williams was exposed for the sham he really was. And Dwu Blumbo was exposed as a prematurely aged retiree he was despite being only 30 years old. Although to be fair I was opposed to Blumbo from day one.

BTW, does anyone find it weird that Mularkey has been our best coach since then?

I met him in an closed door practice in 2004. He was real nice. Shared some memories about growing up in south Florida. He said we'd go on a run and win a bunch of games in the tail end of 2004. He was right.

If we hadn't forced him into resigning (he had principles and wouldn't throw all his coordinators under the bus -- he also seemed resentful about being saddled with JP Losmam as his QB of the future -- we'd probably be better off.

Generalissimus Gibby
04-02-2013, 10:14 PM
And Wichita State might beat Louisville. Both could happen, but neither scenario is very likely.

OpIv37
04-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Exception to prove the rule, yet again.

Beebe
04-03-2013, 12:44 AM
Pettine's the one person who gives a glimmer of hope to next season.

Can he turn the underachievers into players?

We'll see.

MAN! I do hope so we need some defense here.Ever since he made MAYBIN look good I'm on board.

Don't Panic
04-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Exception to prove the rule, yet again.

Why? Why come back for more day after day if you have absolutely zero hope? You need another hobby.

Night Train
04-03-2013, 07:17 AM
If they win more than they lose, I think we'll all be surprised. Rarely happens these days. :up:

Mad Bomber
04-03-2013, 09:44 AM
They surprised me in 2012 - I expected the D to be very good. Wanny SUCKED as D coordinator. We have some good personnel (need LB help), so having someone even remotely competent as DC would be an improvement. Pettine is light years ahead of Wanny when it comes to running a defense so I expect a vast improvement over last year.