PDA

View Full Version : If Chance Warmack Is The Next Larry Allen

BillsImpossible
04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
And I had a crystal ball and knew it was true, I'd take him at 8.

"A guard at 8, you're crazy!"

A Larry Allen like, Hall of Fame guard at 8? Is that crazy?

Defense wins championships...offense is your best defense. How many times have you heard that?

The game of football is won and lost at the line of scrimmage, as unsexy as that may be.

If an offensive line can't protect their quarterback, players like Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Joe Flacco don't get time to throw and win championships worthy of big contracts.

Without a solid offensive line, players like Eli Manning and Big Ben don't make the playoffs.

Tatonka
04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
i like warmack, but i also like cooper just as much. either one i would be happy with, but i hope we move down some and pick up an extra pick before taking a guard.

don137
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
With Buddy's philosophy of liking SEC players and taking best player available I actually will be a little surprised if he does
Not take Warmack. The only reason I am not convinced is the big need at WR and QB so logic says the Bills need to Address those positions early in draft.

BillsImpossible
04-04-2013, 06:43 PM
With Buddy's philosophy of liking SEC players and taking best player available I actually will be a little surprised if he does
Not take Warmack. The only reason I am not convinced is the big need at WR and QB so logic says the Bills need to Address those positions early in draft.

The 2013 NFL draft is deep with wide receiver talent. Very good receivers should still be available in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

That talent pool at quarterback is not very deep this year. Too many question marks to roll the dice in the first round on a QB.

Chance Warmack is being called the best NFL guard prospect in the last 20 years. Players like him don't come along very often. He dominates and controls the line of scrimmage by imposing his will, and overpowering opponents.

I think the last player Bill Belichick wants the Buffalo Billls to draft is Chance Warmack.

If an elite offensive lineman can dominate the line of scrimmage, protect the quarterback, and help open massive holes for the running game....

Vince Wilfork's wife will not be happy with this pick.

Tatonka
04-04-2013, 10:40 PM
still think cooper is going to be as good. i like them both.

clumping platelets
04-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Warmack :up:

better days
04-04-2013, 11:02 PM
That is the biggest IF I have seen in a LONG time.

NOT going to happen. Wormac is NOT Larry Allen & he won't be drafted in the top 10.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-05-2013, 01:40 AM
That is the biggest IF I have seen in a LONG time.

NOT going to happen. Wormac is NOT Larry Allen & he won't be drafted in the top 10.

LMAO no kidding. If you had a Crystal Ball that told you who was going to be a hall of fame player, you take them at #8 no matter what damned position they play.

I mean, seriously, walk through the opposite logic:

"I know this guy is going to be a hall of fame guard, but you just don't take guards in the Top 10. It's just not done. I'll draft the guy with the narrow spine and take my chances."

swiper
04-05-2013, 05:00 AM
If an offensive line can't protect their quarterback, players like Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Joe Flacco don't get time to throw and win championships worthy of big contracts.

The Steelers, Packers and Patriots have all had o-line trouble. The guard position IS NOT the problem with the Buffalo Bills. It's the fact they don't have a QB. The QBs above succeed in spite of any line weaknesses in front of them.

ThunderGun
04-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Citing "whispers around the league," ESPN's Adam Schefter hinted on his blog that Alabama OG Chance Warmack could be in for a draft-day mini-slide.

Schefter believes it "wouldn't be completely shocking" if Warmack were available at the Cowboys' No. 18 overall selection. Warmack is a lock first-rounder, but keep in mind many pegged David DeCastro as a top 10-15 pick last April and he lasted to the Steelers' pick at 24. Guard is not a coveted NFL position. Apr 5 - 2:55 PM

From Rotoworld: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8418/player?r=1

jdaltroy5
04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
First of all, Big Ben has had terrible OL play the whole time he's been there. The Packers haven't been much better.

Second of all, if Buddy doesn't think the OG position is important enough to shell out 8 mil a year on, he damn well better not think it's important enough to use the 8th pick on.

That's called spinning your tires.

Pinkerton Security
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
The Steelers, Packers and Patriots have all had o-line trouble. The guard position IS NOT the problem with the Buffalo Bills. It's the fact they don't have a QB. The QBs above succeed in spite of any line weaknesses in front of them.

Well, we arent going to get ourselves a Big Ben, Rodgers or Brady, are we? So why wouldnt you protect whatever QB we have, as well as pave the way for our dynamic RBs?

jdaltroy5
04-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Well, we arent going to get ourselves a Big Ben, Rodgers or Brady, are we? So why wouldnt you protect whatever QB we have, as well as pave the way for our dynamic RBs?
We definitely aren't going to get a Big Ben, Rodgers, or Brady if we ignore the QB position and start taking OGs in the top ten.

Pinkerton Security
04-05-2013, 02:27 PM
We definitely aren't going to get a Big Ben, Rodgers, or Brady if we ignore the QB position and start taking OGs in the top ten.

K so you think someone in this draft is at that level? Because I dont. Geno would be the only one I'd think has the remotest chance of becoming that good.

jdaltroy5
04-05-2013, 02:29 PM
K so you think someone in this draft is at that level? Because I dont. Geno would be the only one I'd think has the remotest chance of becoming that good.
I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I've pored over hundreds of hours of game tape, sat in interviews, or sent any of these kids to the chalkboard to see what they know.

What I DO know is that we're NEVER going to get a franchise QB if we don't bother actually trying to get one.

Pinkerton Security
04-05-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I've pored over hundreds of hours of game tape, sat in interviews, or sent any of these kids to the chalkboard to see what they know.

What I DO know is that we're NEVER going to get a franchise QB if we don't bother actually trying to get one.

I got you. Id be fine with a QB or Warmack, I see QB as less of an option in the first round now that we have Kolb, but hoping they address it in 2nd or 3rd round at least.

streetkings01
04-05-2013, 02:44 PM
So we use our 1st round pick to replace a player we lost in FA? Makes perfect sense

jdaltroy5
04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
I got you. Id be fine with a QB or Warmack, I see QB as less of an option in the first round now that we have Kolb, but hoping they address it in 2nd or 3rd round at least.
Warmack would really piss me off. It's not that I don't think he's good or that I don't value the position.

But we JUST had an elite OG and Buddy didn't think it was a priority to pay the guy. To take one with the 8th overall pick would be the definition of spinning your tires.

I'm not for taking a QB just to take one, I'm for taking a QB if you're not 100% certain he'll be there in the second.

swiper
04-05-2013, 04:46 PM

Fine. Just not with the 8th pick. A great starting guard can be had between the 3rd and 6th pick. Give me Jarvis Jones or Eric Fisher with #8.

better days
04-05-2013, 04:52 PM

Because if you are not going to pay a 2nd rnd draft pick that NEVER missed a game, you are not going to pay a top 10 pick even MORE MONEY than Levitre got after his rookie contract is finished.

swiper
04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Interesting. Scout.com's top guards of 2011:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6871310/nfl-scouts-inc-2011-top-guard-rankings

1. Logan Mankins - taken at the end of the 1st round (32)
2. Jahri Evans - 4th round (pick 108)
3. Carl Nicks - 5th round (pick 164)
4. Josh Sitton - 4th round (pick 135)
5. Chris Snee - 2nd round (pick 34)

So let's just stop with the guard at #8 nonsense.

swiper
04-05-2013, 05:08 PM
About the highest guards usually go is the second half of round 1 (Davin Joseph, Shawn Andrews, like that).

Night Train
04-05-2013, 07:04 PM
He looked completely out of shape at the combine. Needed to wear a bro.

I realize many like to read glowing reports and parrot it back here as gospel. He may be all that but that flabby body spoke volumes about his conditioning and his times in the drills were slow. He can't cut corners in the pros. We'll see.

jdaltroy5
04-05-2013, 07:05 PM

I realize many like to read glowing reports and parrot it back here as gospel. He may be all that but that flabby body spoke volumes about his conditioning and his times in the drills were slow. He can't cut corners in the pros. We'll see.
Mansiere!

SpikedLemonade
04-05-2013, 07:16 PM

Why do you hate The Anchor Bar, Bocci Club and other Buffalo based restaurants?

He is their answer to economic recovery.

tomz
04-05-2013, 08:50 PM
About the highest guards usually go is the second half of round 1 (Davin Joseph, Shawn Andrews, like that).

We once did all right with a pick in the 10 to 15 range named Reuben Brown.

better days
04-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Reuben was drafted #14 by the Bills in 1995. There were 30 teams then, two less teams in the NFL at that time than now. Brown was a MID First Rnd pick, NOT a TOP 10 pick. And I would not mind a Guard at #8 IF I knew he would be GOOD & that the Bills would PAY him when his Rookie Contract was up.

BUT Wormack is NOT even being talked about as head & shoulders above the rest. And the fact the Bills did not pay Levitre would lead me to believe they WILL NOT pay a GUARD taken at #8 after his Rookie contract is over.

To draft Wormack at #8 would be a WASTED pick IMO. It would be like renting a player for a few years. A team gets NOWHERE doing that.

BillsFever21
04-05-2013, 10:15 PM
The 2013 NFL draft is deep with wide receiver talent. Very good receivers should still be available in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

That talent pool at quarterback is not very deep this year. Too many question marks to roll the dice in the first round on a QB.

Chance Warmack is being called the best NFL guard prospect in the last 20 years. Players like him don't come along very often. He dominates and controls the line of scrimmage by imposing his will, and overpowering opponents.

I think the last player Bill Belichick wants the Buffalo Billls to draft is Chance Warmack.

If an elite offensive lineman can dominate the line of scrimmage, protect the quarterback, and help open massive holes for the running game....

Vince Wilfork's wife will not be happy with this pick.

If we're not willing to pay him in 4 years after his contract is up then there isn't any sense in taking him. If that's the case then wait until the 3rd round or so to grab a guard. I mean so many people have said you can easily find one anywhere so there isn't any sense on paying money for one or using a high draft pick for it.

Since we're not going to be a playoff contender anytime soon and if it doesn't make sense to keep him after four years then we should pass for somebody who can help us right now and years down the road. He would be more suited on a team that already has a horrible offensive line or a team that has a chance to compete right now.

I don't want to use a Top 10 draft pick on a player that you're not willing to keep after his rookie contract is up in 4 or 5 years. Picks that high in the draft are supposed to be for players that you have a need for now and hopefully if they work out guys you would want to keep for years after that.

swiper
04-06-2013, 05:35 AM

I was never a fan. However, even if you were... taking a guard so high when there is such a need at LB, WR, QB and other spots - I just don't see it happening. Warmack will likely go in that 10 - 15 range and some team will be very happy with the pick. The Bills have bigger needs.

Raptor
04-07-2013, 11:26 AM
He could be the best OG the league has ever seen and he still wouldnt have any where near the impact on wins and losses that just a good, not great, but good WR would

The overvaluing of the OG spot by Bills fans is unreal.

Picking an OG at 8 will do nothing but prolong the drought