PDA

View Full Version : PFW: Disses Geno Smith

The King
04-04-2013, 09:22 AM
A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/04/01/barkley-smith-scouting-reports

Albany,n.y.
04-04-2013, 09:34 AM
The good news is Marrone has game-planned against Smith and knows more about him than any of the guys who write draft reports. If he's available at 8, Marrone will be able to let Buddy know whether he's worth drafting or not. What Nawrocki thinks isn't relevant.

Here's something interesting from Nawrocki: He really likes Nassib, has him rated the 2nd best QB after his top QB, Matt Barkley. I'll post parts of Nawrocki's scouting report on Nassib in its own thread.

ServoBillieves
04-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Holy crap... and Aaron Brooks diss?

This is truly a sad day.

MidnightVoice
04-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Isn't he the guy that said Cam Newton was useless?

IlluminatusUIUC
04-04-2013, 10:33 AM

Yes, because he had a "fake smile" among other character slams.

Nawrocki is weird about black QBs
http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/nolan-nawrocki-geno-smith/

GingerP
04-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Mike Mayock trashed him as well:

"It's absolutely the football side," Mayock said. "Talk about the football issues: First of all, ball security, ties into the pocket awareness. Whatever that number is, 30, 32 fumbles in his career, he has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. ... Deep ball accuracy: I put a reel together of six to eight throws that should have been touchdowns, wide open vertical guys that he overthrew or underthrew. He stares down receivers and he throws the football late, so there's a lack of anticipation and timing."

SpikedLemonade
04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Yes, the same hatchet job the "writer" did with Cam Newton prior to that draft.

Nolan Noblacki is up to his old racist tricks.

Albany,n.y.
04-04-2013, 10:54 AM

I looked up his reports on Vince Young & RGIII and he didn't write any racist stuff on either. He had Young as the top QB in his class & RGIII 2nd behind luck. Based on the Young writeup and picking Gabbert over Newton, maybe he's just not that good an evaluator of talent & racism has nothing to do with it.

DraftBoy
04-04-2013, 11:11 AM
I looked up his reports on Vince Young & RGIII and he didn't write any racist stuff on either. He had Young as the top QB in his class & RGIII 2nd behind luck. Based on the Young writeup and picking Gabbert over Newton, maybe he's just not that good an evaluator of talent & racism has nothing to do with it.

This guy has no credibility, he was asked multiple times after the Cam report about when he met Cam and how he determined his fake sincerity and he openly admitted he'd never met or spoken with Cam Newton!

cookie G
04-04-2013, 11:27 AM

Yep. Had the famous "he has a fake smile" quote...but then admitted he'd never met him.

As to Geno Smith, here's what he said:

. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board....

...Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

Here's what Geno's coaches said about him, most of it well before the draft:

Whatever the motivation, Smith's ability to stiff-arm the accolades and maintain his focus is as rare as it is powerful.
"There are a lot of guys," Holgorsen said, "who will sit and get on the Internet and read article after article about themselves, or turn on the TV and record their interviews. He's a guy that just doesn't do that. He would rather read a book or put a [video] on his iPad and go home and study. ... He'd rather do that than go check out what the club's like tonight or what these specific girls are doing in the library."
There's a reason for that, the head coach said about his quarterback.
"He's the most competitive guy I've been around," Holgorsen said.

http://espn.go.com/c...solely-football

Given his position as points leader in the video-game era of college football offense, it's no surprise West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith would rather break down film than relive past glories, even when the visitor in question is his mother and the time at hand is the aftermath of the Mountaineers' 70-63 victory over Baylor.
"I'm sure he had three Texas games on his iPad," said West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen, whose eighth-ranked Mountaineers play No. 11 Texas at 6 p.m. Saturday in Austin. "He's a student of the game."
http://www.chron.com...ork-3924068.php

Spavital said the thing sets Smith apart is obsessive film study and relentless work ethic. He said Weeden also has good work habits, but that Smith was over the top.

"Brandon studied a lot, but he did things on his own," said Spavital. "He was married and he went home to his wife. Geno, football is all he cared about. He'd take the O-line out to eat and then come back to the office and we'd watch stuff on the iPad. He was always trying to improve. I've never seen anybody study harder with the tape than he does."
Spavital said Smith, who studied NFL QBs such as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, can do it all.
"He's more of an under-center, pro-style play-action, quarterback, but he can throw out of the shotgun, play in the spread, run a zone-read," he said. "He's such a student of the game, there were times we let him check 80 percent of the game. He knows how to manage a game and he knows what everyone is supposed to be doing."

~Jake Spavital, former West Virginia QB coach

http://www.cleveland...5_player_i.html

Too many personal film sessions ran long. When Jake Spavital returned to his office at West Virginia, quarterback Geno Smith was usually camped out watching tape. The quarterbacks coach had no choice but to shag Smith away. The quarterback had class. So then, Spavital had a solution.

“I got him an iPad so he’d go to class,” said Spavital, who is now at Texas A&M. “And then he’d start watching the iPad tape in class, which causes more distractions.”

Pretty clear he never spoke to his coaches.

http://www.jsonline..../190936841.html

PFW's hits must be sagging again. He saw a notoriety bump with the Cam Newton deal, and he's hoping to recapture some sense of relevance with Geno Smith. I guess it has worked to an extent.

Too bad too. PFW used to be pretty reputable. Kind of ironic that they are now being called out by ProFootballTalk.

They were kind of laughing about it on NFLN the other day. I think it was Charles Davis that pointed a few things out.

He said Geno Smith was at Trent Dilfer's QB camp last year, and Dilfer gives the attendees a 100 play playbook to memorize. He said GS was the only one who memorized it. Said he not only memorized it, but knew it backwards and forwards. They mentioned another camp, I think it was the Manning's, and they said GS was the only one who brought a notebook into film session.

jdaltroy5
04-04-2013, 11:41 AM
"Geno Smith is a combination of Rizza and ODB and his love of Cadillac Escalades and menthol cigarettes will derail his career. The ball tends to slip out of his hands, most likely due to fried chicken grease on his fingers."

-Nolan Noblacki

IlluminatusUIUC
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
He said Geno Smith was at Trent Dilfer's QB camp last year, and Dilfer gives the attendees a 100 play playbook to memorize. He said GS was the only one who memorized it. Said he not only memorized it, but knew it backwards and forwards.

Two points here:

1) Trent Dilfer has a QB camp
2) People attend it.

What?

cookie G
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM

"It's absolutely the football side," Mayock said. "Talk about the football issues: First of all, ball security, ties into the pocket awareness. Whatever that number is, 30, 32 fumbles in his career, he has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. ... Deep ball accuracy: I put a reel together of six to eight throws that should have been touchdowns, wide open vertical guys that he overthrew or underthrew. He stares down receivers and he throws the football late, so there's a lack of anticipation and timing."

Ball security is an issue, but it may be correctable. There was an interview with him last fall, and they were talking about his lack of scrambling. He talked about Aaron Rodgers and Brady, and how well they move in the pocket, and how well they hold the ball if nothing is open right away. He said he patterns himself after them. I think that's why he holds onto the ball a little too long at times. But if you take something like the Texas game, where he was sacked quite a bit, the plays he made more than made up for it. Still it is something he'd need to work on.

As far as deep ball accuracy...Mayock must really hate Nassib then.

I'll just say this about Mayock talking about his deep ball accuracy. He pointed out the Oklahoma tape and said there were some deep throws he missed. OK.

Well, I think, in that game, I counted 4 throws of 35 yards or more (2 from his own endzone), where he had to hit the pass perfectly. A yard too shallow or a yard too deep, and he would have missed or it would have been intercepted. One was a 40 yard throw from the endzone dropped between 3 defenders. Oklahoma was all over his receivers in that game..and his offense still put up 49 points.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LZCPd5u6f3c?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jdaltroy5
04-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Two points here:

2) People attend it.

What?

Welcome to Trent Dilfer's QB camp!

Step one - assemble one of the greatest defenses of all time.
Step two - ?????
Step three - profit

mjt328
04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
As pointed out by several other posters, the PFT post has no credibility. According to numerous coaches/players close to Smith, his study habits were fantastic.
I trust them a little more than a reporter with no quoted sources.

Mayock's criticism is much more realistic and helpful. And from the West Virginia games/film I've watched myself, I can agree with a lot of what he's saying.
Smith has all the physical tools to be a great NFL quarterback. He's a great decision-maker and has good overall accuracy. The knock on Smith is how quick he gets rid of the ball.

The million dollar question is... can this be corrected at the NFL level?

If not, Smith will undoubtedly become a bust. A slow release against NFL defenses will lead to sacks, fumbles and corners jumping routes.
If Smith can improve in this area, the sky is the limit.

Mski
04-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Two points here:

2) People attend it.

What?well he is a SB winning QB :meh:

GingerP
04-04-2013, 12:59 PM
As far as deep ball accuracy...Mayock must really hate Nassib then.

Mayock says he doesn't like the whole QB class. He actually rates Smith his top QB, Nassib he ranks 4th. He says he wouldn't take any QB from this class in the top 20.

Mayock is sometimes wrong, I'm not offering up him as some sort of ultimate authority. I just thought his criticism of Smith from the Eisen Podcast the other day was topical given the content in this thread.

Bill Cody
04-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I'll admit the pocket presence jab concerns me a bit. That was JP- he never had a clue when the rush was on him. (me screaming at TV) LET IT GO JP!!!! LET IT GO DAMNIT! UGH.....FUMBLE. Can that be coached? Yeah it can if he is a worker which he appears to be. You have a big old timer and bell/horn/buzzer that goes off after 3 or 4 seconds after the snap in practice. An NFL QB needs brains and work ethic to along with athletic ability. It's up to Nix to figure out if Geno has all three. If he's sold I'm in.

The deep ball accuracy thing isn't as big a concern if he has the arm. Brady could not throw deep successfully at all early in his career. That just takes a ton of reps. Throwing a football 40+ yards in the air to a 1 yard window isn't anything a QB is born with any more than a basketball player is born to shoot 3 pointers.

Raptor
04-04-2013, 02:54 PM

You mean the one he's been completely right on about, that "hatchet Job"? In case you havent noticed Cam is a complete head case

and Geno Smith is one of if not the most overrated player in this draft. The guy has bust written all over him

Raptor
04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
As pointed out by several other posters, the PFT post has no credibility. According to numerous coaches/players close to Smith, his study habits were fantastic.
I trust them a little more than a reporter with no quoted sources.

Mayock's criticism is much more realistic and helpful. And from the West Virginia games/film I've watched myself, I can agree with a lot of what he's saying.
Smith has all the physical tools to be a great NFL quarterback. He's a great decision-maker and has good overall accuracy. The knock on Smith is how quick he gets rid of the ball.

The million dollar question is... can this be corrected at the NFL level?

If not, Smith will undoubtedly become a bust. A slow release against NFL defenses will lead to sacks, fumbles and corners jumping routes.
If Smith can improve in this area, the sky is the limit.

Numerous coaches and teammates also said Dez Bryant off the field stuff was overblown and wouldnt be an issue. You have to look at where the info is coming from. His coaches and teammates are not going to slam him at all because it will reflect poorly on them if it gets out

TacklingDummy
04-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I want no part of Geno Smith.

Let someone else waste a pick.

Bert102176
04-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Sounds like Mike Vick 2.0