PDA

View Full Version : PFW's Nolan Nawrocki likes Nassib

Albany,n.y.
04-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Nawrocki has Nassib as the 2nd ranked QB behind Barkley in the PFW Draft book. Here is what he writes on Nassib on page 15 of Pro Football weekly 2013 Draft Preview:

"Notes: His father played football for Delaware while his mother was a volleyball player for Villanova. His cousin, Joe, is a cornerback for the Orange. The Pennsylvania prep redshirted in 2008. Swa action in 10 games as a backup quarterback behind Duke basketball transfer Greg Paulus in '09, completing 36-of-68 passes (52.9 percent) for 422 yards with three touchdowns and one interception. Took over the starting job in '10 and set the school record for completions after throwing for 202-358-2,334-19-8 (56.4) with one rushing touchdown in 13 games. Tossed 259-415-2,685-22-9 (62.4) and rushed for two touchdowns in 12 starts in '11. Graduated with double degree in finance and accounting in only four years. Set the school's career and single season records for passing yards in '12 after throwing for 294-471-3,749-26-10 (62.4) in 13 starts. Also set single-season records for touchdown passes, completions and total offense (3,891) while rushing for two scores. Had a 21-17 record in 38 career starts and captained nine come-from-behind, fourth quarter victories. Has 24 career fumbles (12 lost).

Positives: Built like a small linebacker and carries the mental and physical toughness of a throwback tough guy. Keeps his eyes downfield staring down the barrel of a gun and can handle pressure. Throws with velocity and touch and can drill the ball into tight windows. Good anticipation-throws receivers open and places the ball where only the receiver can catch it. Responds well in the face of adversity and has shown he can come through in the clutch. Consistently moves the sticks on third downs. Very good tempo and field energy operating no-huddle offense. Extremely mature, confident and focused-prepares like a pro. Highly confident. Has a mastery of offensive concepts and has proven he can handle checks, audibles and call his own plays. Leader by example. Football is his life-extremely driven to succeed.

Negatives: Is tightly wound with limited mobility and foot quickness. Can do a better job of turning his feet over and escaping the pocket (at times trips over his feet) -is easily tracked down. Marginal scrambler-creates little with his feet. Average set-up quickness. Tends to **** and double pump the ball (wasted motion). Does not spin a tight spiral. Does not have overpowering arm strength. Fires too hard from close range and underthrows the deep ball-can learn to better guage his arm talent. Not naturally vocal (despite being asked to be more of a leader).

Summary: An extremely tough-minded, overly muscled competitor who willed the Orangemen to victory with a marginal supporting cast and has operated two pro-style offenses under current Bills head coach Doug Marrone, running the "K-Gun" this year under now-Bills offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. The game slowed down for him as a senior, he showed an improved command of the offense, and he enters the NFL as one of the most pro-ready passers in the class. Has Pro Bowl potential with continued refinement.
NFL projection-Top-40 pick"

IlluminatusUIUC
04-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Tends to **** and double pump the ball (wasted motion).

nyuk nyuk nyuk

Good writeup. If this is the guy we go with, I'm warming to it.

SpikedLemonade
04-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Yes, the same hatchet job the "writer" did with Cam Newton prior to that draft.

Nolan Noblacki is up to his old racist tricks.

Albany,n.y.
04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I can't believe that the filter edited out a throwing motion that is named the same as a male chicken or a male body part.

trapezeus
04-04-2013, 10:48 AM
i think his negatives noted can be minimized with spiller coming out of backfield for screens. and if you believe in nassib, you have to surround him with top line talent. and the next couple drafts unabashedly have to get lineman to keep the run game alive and nassib effective.

watching some of the clips on youtube, it's nassib and bray that look like good arms....nassib as a senior and dealing with an upcoming program makes me more positive of him. Bray as a junior has the arm strength but was streaky when i saw games and didn't make a traditionally decent Tenn excellent.

the question is becoming, doyou have to over draft nassib to get him at 8?

Mski
04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
the question is becoming, doyou have to over draft nassib to get him at 8?

if he's the one they want and they're sold on him as the best guy for the team, then there is no "reach" they should take him first chance they get ie: 8

fwiw i too am warming to the idea of him in a bills uni

DraftBoy
04-04-2013, 11:11 AM
I have zero interest in what Nawrocki thinks.

Night Train
04-04-2013, 11:16 AM
I have zero interest in what Nawrocki thinks.

Joel Buschbaum, he is not.

I have to question his credibility, going forward. I certainly would never buy his draft guide after that slanted outburst, without any sense of balance. It's almost appears agenda driven.

DraftBoy
04-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Joel Buschbaum, he is not.

I have to question his credibility, going forward. I certainly would never buy his draft guide after that slanted outburst, without any sense of balance. It's almost appears agenda driven.

Yup, his evaluation of any prospect is now tainted.

jdaltroy5
04-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Not that I have much respect for Nawrocki, but it seems that a lot of these so called "pros" seem to love Nassib.

Cosell, Lande, and Gruden all think he'll be very good as well.

Mouldsie
04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Where's the mention of his limited leadership skills?

Oh he's white.

Albany,n.y.
04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Where's the mention of his limited leadership skills?

Oh he's white.

To be fair, it's in there: Not naturally vocal (despite being asked to be more of a leader).

Nawrocki has the same problem as any of the other guys who watch some film and have never spoken to any of the prospects before they write their "reports". That's one of the reasons the Bills are doing interviews with all the top QB prospects. You can learn a lot more about a player talking to him for an hour than you can by watching an extra hour of his game films. It also has to be a lot easier to get an answer about a QB if you call up the head coach and say "This is Doug Marrone, coach of the Buffalo Bills" than if you say "This is Nolan Nawrocki of PFW"

Mr. Miyagi
04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
I can't believe that the filter edited out a throwing motion that is named the same as a male chicken or a male body part.
:rofl: I was wondering what that word was.

fluteflakes
04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Not that I have much respect for Nawrocki, but it seems that a lot of these so called "pros" seem to love Nassib.

Cosell, Lande, and Gruden all think he'll be very good as well.

Ah good ole' Russ "JaMArcus Russel is the can't miss prospect of the century" Lande. He's great at front 7 evaluation, everything else... meh.

Nawrocki is a racist *******.

jdaltroy5
04-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Ah good ole' Russ "JaMArcus Russel is the can't miss prospect of the century" Lande. He's great at front 7 evaluation, everything else... meh.

Nawrocki is a racist *******.

So what about Cosell? How about Gruden?

BTW, Mike Mayock said that Jamarcus Russell had the best skillset he's ever seen. Should we discount Mayock's opinion now too?

If you discount someone's opinion because they got one wrong, then don't bother using any professional scout's opinion.

coastal
04-04-2013, 02:46 PM
1.) EJ Manuel
2.) Matt Barkley

both early second rounders.

3.) Matt Scott

the rest r bunk.

mightysimi
04-04-2013, 02:53 PM

BTW, Mike Mayock said that Jamarcus Russell had the best skillset he's ever seen. Should we discount Mayock's opinion now too?

If you discount someone's opinion because they got one wrong, then don't bother using any professional scout's opinion.

I think he said best pro day he had ever seen which he uses to preface any evaluations about QB's in pro days now.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-04-2013, 03:04 PM

True, and you also have to account for the fact that players can change when they get paid. Russell was indeed a huge, strong guy with an accurate, cannon arm. That he then turned around and ate himself up to 300 lbs, never learned a playbook, and gambled in Reno on his days off would be a difficult thing to predict.

jdaltroy5
04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I think he said best pro day he had ever seen which he uses to preface any evaluations about QB's in pro days now.

"From a physical skill set perspective, I've never seen a college quarterback with more ability than Russell"
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.7.html

Whoops, can't use Mel Kiper's opinion ever again. Look what he said-
"JaMarcus Russell (http://backporch.fanhouse.com/tag/JaMarcusRussell/) is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room," ESPN's Mel Kiper (http://backporch.fanhouse.com/tag/MelKiper/) said at the time. "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."
http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/10/three-years-ago-mel-kiper-and-todd-mcshay-loved-jamarcus-russell/

jdaltroy5
04-04-2013, 03:09 PM
True, and you also have to account for the fact that players can change when they get paid. Russell was indeed a huge, strong guy with an accurate, cannon arm. That he then turned around and ate himself up to 300 lbs, never learned a playbook, and gambled in Reno on his days off would be a difficult thing to predict.

I'm not harping on Kiper for getting the Russell pick wrong. Every single person that has ever been involved with football has made some bad decisions on prospects.

I'm saying it's ******ed to think that Russ Lande's opinion is useless because he was wrong about Jamarcus Russell.

Mouldsie
04-04-2013, 04:11 PM
I hated Jamarcus Russel, give me a cookie. And the GM job.

fluteflakes
04-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Where in ANYTHING I said did I imply his opinion is moot because he was wrong on JaMarcus Russel? I simply said that when it comes to QB evaluations, he's spotty, I much prefer his opinions on the D-Line, I just used his evaluation of Russel as an indicator of his middling success with evaluating QB's.

I'v already given my opinion on Cosell and his evaluation of Nassib as well, like I said then, I disagree with him, and find his track record with QB's to be middling, but I respect his opinion and he knows far more about the game than I do.

I think Nassib is a 4th round tools guy personally, but someone will over draft him and he'll be thrown out way too early and suck. I believe Geno needs to sit for a bit as well, nobody in this class is a clear cut prospect, but IMO Geno is the best one.

Odds are I'm wrong, and if I am I'll fully admit to it, but I have my rankings and they are what they are.