PDA

View Full Version : BBD: Bills working out Tyler Bray...Twice?

DraftBoy
04-04-2013, 07:24 PM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013/04/bills-working-out-tyler-bray-twice/

So we all knew the Bills were going to workout plenty of QB prospects, but none of us saw what may have just been reported by CBS Sports Jason La Canfora. Earlier this evening La Canfora reported that he was intrigued that the Bills were working out Tyler Bray. Now the reason this intrigues La Canfora is something that we can’t comment on, however the reason it should intrigue you is because this would be the second straight weekend that the Bills have worked out Tyler Bray.

BertSquirtgum
04-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Please god, no.

feldspar
04-04-2013, 07:45 PM
So we get rid of Tyler and we get rid of Ryan...now we are thinking of drafting Tyler or drafting Ryan?

Of course I'm talking about Tyler Thigpen and Tyler Bray, and also about Ryan Fitzpatrick and Ryan Nassib.

If those guys had their first names on their jerseys, we'd be all set...if you into the whole jersey thing.

YardRat
04-04-2013, 07:46 PM
I still think Scott or Bray in the second round is going to be where the Bills 'reach', and draft a QB higher than commonly rated.

PIZ
04-04-2013, 07:47 PM
I don't care which QB they draft......as long as he is the best QB for the Bills......and as long as he wins games.

Bangarang
04-04-2013, 07:57 PM
So we get rid of Tyler and we get rid of Ryan...now we are thinking of drafting Tyler or drafting Ryan?

Of course I'm talking about Tyler Thigpen and Tyler Bray, and also about Ryan Fitzpatrick and Ryan Nassib.

If those guys had their first names on their jerseys, we'd be all set...if you into the whole jersey thing.

Are you drunk?

Meathead
04-04-2013, 08:16 PM
all those tylers look the same to me

The Jokeman
04-04-2013, 08:31 PM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013/04/bills-working-out-tyler-bray-twice/

Maybe we scouted him the first time and going to use this second to visit to ask him which WR he likes best of Coradelle Patterson, Justin Hunter or Da'Rick Rogers to pair with him if we take Bray in the 3rd Round.

mjt328
04-04-2013, 09:40 PM
He's got the best arm (by far) out of all the prospects.

Accuracy is borderline terrible, though...

feldspar
04-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Are you drunk?

Compared to who?

fluteflakes
04-04-2013, 10:04 PM
He's got the best arm (by far) out of all the prospects.

Accuracy is borderline terrible, though...

You can remove the borderline.

He's a terrible player. Intangibles aren't there, his lower body mechanics are awful, he's got a wind-up on almost all his throws. He's got a good arm and not much else.

DraftBoy
04-05-2013, 05:54 AM
You can remove the borderline.

He's a terrible player. Intangibles aren't there, his lower body mechanics are awful, he's got a wind-up on almost all his throws. He's got a good arm and not much else.

His lower half is a mess but that's coachable and its not on every throw. When he sets his feet (40-50% of his throws) he can put the ball almost anywhere. He's not a Day 1 starter, but he's a guy who with time coaching and good mentorship could develop into a phenomenal QB.

First thing though is to get his head screwed on straight.

DraftBoy
04-05-2013, 05:57 AM
Also I reached out to a friend of mine last night with scout connections and he said Bray has been average in his interviews, not great and not terrible. He said people meet him and they don't know what to think because its clear he's quite immature and he's trying to act professionally.

He said if you take him and can get him through Year 3 with no issues you're going to have a franchise QB.

X-Era
04-05-2013, 06:09 AM
He may rank in the middle of the QB prospect list this year but he's near the bottom of my list. I'd rather have about 10 guys over him.

Night Train
04-05-2013, 06:16 AM
I still think Scott or Bray in the second round is going to be where the Bills 'reach', and draft a QB higher than commonly rated.

More like 3rd round..and they're still a reach there. Both do have big arms but need lots to work in terms of mechanics. Bray could barely talk above a whisper at the combine, when facing the media. Seemed somewhat intimidated. Maybe we can hire Rutgers fired coach Mike Rice to give him confidence. :up:

This may indicate the Bills have ZERO interest in picking a QB high in this draft, after seeing them all up close. Thus the visit to Kolb last week and the 2 year agreement. Check back next year and draft actual blue chip talent for other glaring holes on our depth chart.

tampabay25690
04-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Someone is gonna take a chance on this guy and hit gold.
I think DB hit it correct needs a year or 2 and learn the game and get his lower body and footwork down.
This guy is a bit immature but I think in due time he has great upside.
Best arm by far in the draft.
I think he goes earlier then the 3rd.

Saratoga Slim
04-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Someone is gonna take a chance on this guy and hit gold.
I think DB hit it correct needs a year or 2 and learn the game and get his lower body and footwork down.
This guy is a bit immature but I think in due time he has great upside.
Best arm by far in the draft.
I think he goes earlier then the 3rd.

I thought that we'd finally reached the point where everyone agrees that what goes on above the QB's shoulders is as or more important than below. Field intelligence and maturity are skills in themselves - if you don't have it when you're drafted you may improve but it's never going to be a strength. It's easier to correct mechanics than brains.

Throw in the fact that this guy isn't even a polished thrower yet, and I pass.

trapezeus
04-05-2013, 07:29 AM
i'm not scout. and i don't watch a ton of college football,

but i watched the promo tapes of all the guys. and i felt like bray had the most zip on his passes and threw the most effortlessly. while wilson is exciting because he's essentially a winner (amongst these qbs), he's smallish and the hand size thing scares me. if his hands are the size of my hands, he isn't made for the east coast winters. he'd fair better on a dome team or in west coast.

Bray was on Tenn and was spotty. he's a junior. all he has is a big arm at this point. but kolb and tjax buy you time. do we have the coaches to get bray up to speed?

if i was put in the draft room, i still think you need to have nassib and wilson as your top choices and bray as your back up. i still hope the bills take a lineman or LB in round one. we need an impact D player in the LB ranks. a 3 down LB could dramatically turn around the defense almost immediately.

jamze132
04-05-2013, 03:41 PM
This is just due diligence folks. Since Kolb has signed, Buddy and Co. are looking at other options and one if them is Bray in RD3, depending on how many QB's go before we pick in RD2. If they start dropping like flies early RD2, we'll have no choice but to take one then. I think they want to take a guy they can be comfortable with as late as possible.

trapezeus
04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
in some ways, if qb's start dropping like flies, hopefully the bills will feel comfortable to keep upgrading elsewhere. grabbing when everyone else is grabbig isn't a good strategy.

Raptor
04-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Good God, Bray is HORRIBLE

swiper
04-06-2013, 06:39 AM
all those tylers look the same to me

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/Violetninja420/Weekly%20Image%20Gallery/Images%2003302013/QokYbs2.jpg

swiper
04-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Also I reached out to a friend of mine last night with scout connections and he said Bray has been average in his interviews, not great and not terrible. He said people meet him and they don't know what to think because its clear he's quite immature and he's trying to act professionally.

He said if you take him and can get him through Year 3 with no issues you're going to have a franchise QB.

He would battle Corp to be the 3rd string developmental guy. Sounds like.

jwenger
04-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Doesn't matter to me either one sucks so we tank this year and get a real QB next year.
The NFCS will sweep us and we sorta suck in our own AFCE division as records show,

mrbojanglezs
04-06-2013, 04:35 PM
His lower half is a mess but that's coachable and its not on every throw. When he sets his feet (40-50% of his throws) he can put the ball almost anywhere. He's not a Day 1 starter, but he's a guy who with time coaching and good mentorship could develop into a phenomenal QB.

First thing though is to get his head screwed on straight.

His upside potential is Philip rivers with the right coaching and system. His low side? Good god its low. He is a riddle.

Mouldsie
04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
If you're not mature enough after 3 years of college you will never be mature enough.

DraftBoy
04-06-2013, 06:37 PM
If you're not mature enough after 3 years of college you will never be mature enough.

I'll let Brett Favre, Jim Kelly, and a number of other QB's know.

BidsJr
04-06-2013, 07:46 PM

Bray is immature in how he acts and HOW HE PLAYS. Unlike Favre and Kelly.

Mouldsie
04-06-2013, 10:41 PM

Outliers.

Also, Jim Kelly never won anything. Because he was too immature during SB week.
Fight!

Tyler Bray's other problem is his Byron Leftwich mannerisms and throwing motion.

BertSquirtgum
04-06-2013, 11:03 PM
EJ Manuel over Bray all day. Bray reminds me of JPL without the mobility.

DraftBoy
04-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Bray is immature in how he acts and HOW HE PLAYS. Unlike Favre and Kelly.

Did you watch Favre at Southern Miss?

DraftBoy
04-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Outliers.

Also, Jim Kelly never won anything. Because he was too immature during SB week.
Fight!

Tyler Bray's other problem is his Byron Leftwich mannerisms and throwing motion.

They're always outliers when they prove the opposite point.

On the last point I agree, he'll need some tweaks but motions can be tightened up and smoothed out. Derek Dooley was by far the worst thing to ever happen to Bray.

fluteflakes
04-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Did you watch Favre at Southern Miss?

Hell, Favre in the NFL acted like a little kid playing out there, it's what made him Brett Farve.

And good god was Dooley a terrible coach, Bray REALLY should have stayed for his senior year to work on a new staff and refine his mechanics. But NFL coaching hopefully will stick, I just don't see it though, too much risk for anything other than a 4th round flyer.

tampabay25690
04-07-2013, 01:08 PM

For real???????
Alot of this has to do with hime being recruited and your coach bails out on teh whole program leaving it a mess.....ALA LANE KIFFIN.
He stuck it out and played his career at TENN.
Guy has tremendous upside......
Best arm in the draft and he helped himself a ton at the combine by the way he threw the ball.

Mouldsie
04-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Joining a program run by Lane Kiffin was mistake #1. Poor judgement.

Sorry, I dont like this guys make up and I do not think he will be successful. I know I'm not really going out on a limb with that statement but I think any pick spent on him is a wasted one.

tampabay25690
04-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Joining a program run by Lane Kiffin was mistake #1. Poor judgement.

Sorry, I dont like this guys make up and I do not think he will be successful. I know I'm not really going out on a limb with that statement but I think any pick spent on him is a wasted one.

Thats why u are able to make an opinion.

cookie G
04-07-2013, 02:01 PM

I'm not surprised they brought him in for a 2nd look. He's the type of guy most QB coaches will look at and say, "I can do something with this guy". Arm strength is near Mallet-like.

I had really only see him play against Alabama and parts of Florida this year. He didn't look good.

I watched the Youtube deals against NC state, Georgia and S. Carolina this morning. I was surprised how good he looked, especially against 2 D's like Georgia and S. Carolina.

Against Georgia...yeah, 3 Ints, but one was a tip off the WR's hands. The WR's had a bad case of dropsies in that game. Patterson dropped an easy 40 yard TD and a few others. Hunter dropped a few, including a big 3rd down pass. Another receiver dropped another big 3rd down pass.

Actually, the entire Tennessee offense can be summed up to be "Extremely talented - prone to mental lapses".

They are really frustrating to watch.

Anyways, besides maturity issues, mechanics (maybe/maybe not), and most likely the ability to read a D at the NFL level.

...he'd need time. Not time on the bench, time behind the line. He doesn't look like a guy that's going to get the ball out quickly..he likes to take his time and scan the defense downfield and wait for something to open.

He's a guy Don Coryell, Norv Turner, Dick Vermeil or Mike Martz would love.

The Bills o-line basically would give about 2.5 seconds before pressure came. With Levitre gone, that will probably drop.

If you don't have an Oline that's going to consistently give him 3 seconds and 4 to 5 seconds on occasion, I think you're wasting your time with him.

DraftBoy
04-07-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm not surprised they brought him in for a 2nd look. He's the type of guy most QB coaches will look at and say, "I can do something with this guy". Arm strength is near Mallet-like.

I had really only see him play against Alabama and parts of Florida this year. He didn't look good.

I watched the Youtube deals against NC state, Georgia and S. Carolina this morning. I was surprised how good he looked, especially against 2 D's like Georgia and S. Carolina.

Against Georgia...yeah, 3 Ints, but one was a tip off the WR's hands. The WR's had a bad case of dropsies in that game. Patterson dropped an easy 40 yard TD and a few others. Hunter dropped a few, including a big 3rd down pass. Another receiver dropped another big 3rd down pass.

Actually, the entire Tennessee offense can be summed up to be "Extremely talented - prone to mental lapses".

They are really frustrating to watch.

Anyways, besides maturity issues, mechanics (maybe/maybe not), and most likely the ability to read a D at the NFL level.

...he'd need time. Not time on the bench, time behind the line. He doesn't look like a guy that's going to get the ball out quickly..he likes to take his time and scan the defense downfield and wait for something to open.

He's a guy Don Coryell, Norv Turner, Dick Vermeil or Mike Martz would love.

The Bills o-line basically would give about 2.5 seconds before pressure came. With Levitre gone, that will probably drop.

If you don't have an Oline that's going to consistently give him 3 seconds and 4 to 5 seconds on occasion, I think you're wasting your time with him.

Very fair assessment. I know there has been a lot of discussion about if you can simplify his reads in a WCO style offense can you get him into one of those rhythms where he starts lasering the ball and speeds up his mental processing time. I was live in Week 1 v. NC State at the Dome and early on he struggled but when he started to hit some shorter throws to Patterson he started to get comfortable and then it was Game On.