PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NFL Draft Do-Over: Buffalo Bills scoop up Colin Kaepernick

zone
04-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Man, if only!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000157825/article/2011-nfl-draft-doover-buffalo-bills-scoop-up-colin-kaepernick

BillsFever21
04-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks Buddy Nix.

SpikedLemonade
04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Yes we should have drafted him but I wonder whether we would have messed up his development nonetheless.

gloveus
04-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Personally, I think it's still too early to crown Kaepernick as a franchise QB. He came in part way through the season and ran an offense that took the NFL by storm. It's happened before, just think of the Wildcat. Now that coordinators have a lot more tape, and an entire off season to dissect the option, Kaepernick is going to come back down to earth and just be above average, not great. He can't carry a team with just his arm and dissecting defenses, a la Brees or Manning. He needs a strong running game and the threat of taking off himself to give him more time in the pocket. With Levitre gone now, I think his lack of traditional QB abilities would be exposed here in Buffalo, but he is a perfect for for San Fran.

swiper
04-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Wow, take out the QBs and the top ten of that draft had some excellent talent in it.

Mr. Pink
04-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Nah, if this was a true do over, Kaepernick would go first overall.

We'd be left with Cam Newton.

swiper
04-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Personally, I think it's still too early to crown Kaepernick as a franchise QB. He came in part way through the season and ran an offense that took the NFL by storm. It's happened before, just think of the Wildcat. Now that coordinators have a lot more tape, and an entire off season to dissect the option, Kaepernick is going to come back down to earth and just be above average, not great. He can't carry a team with just his arm and dissecting defenses, a la Brees or Manning. He needs a strong running game and the threat of taking off himself to give him more time in the pocket. With Levitre gone now, I think his lack of traditional QB abilities would be exposed here in Buffalo, but he is a perfect for for San Fran.

Guarantee you that Russell Wilson and Kaepernick will fall to earth now that all the d-coordinators have had an offseason to prepare.

SpikedLemonade
04-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Nah, if this was a true do over, Kaepernick would go first overall.

We'd be left with Cam Newton.

AND we would take him in a heartbeat.

Great rookie year.

Tough second year.

Time to now grow up for Cam.

I bet he will be a top 15 QB in passing plus rushing yardage this year.

If he was a Bill, most of you would be lining up to suck his coq.

zone
04-05-2013, 08:03 PM
I think his lack of traditional QB abilities would be exposed here in Buffalo, but he is a perfect for for San Fran.

Yea, like his small stature, weak arm, and lack of pocket presence.

psubills62
04-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Only if Jim Harbaugh could come with him. Have to laugh at people who think he would develop the same way as he did on the 49ers.

Thief
04-05-2013, 08:33 PM
you r wack if u think cap doesnt have a full fledged nfl arm. dude is money

IlluminatusUIUC
04-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Kaepernick would be awesome, but honestly that was one of the most stacked drafts I've ever seen. Miller, Watt, Smith, Green, and Sherman are already top 5 at their positions, and Jones and Wilkerson are already dominant.

swiper
04-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Kaepernick would be awesome, but honestly that was one of the most stacked drafts I've ever seen. Miller, Watt, Smith, Green, and Sherman are already top 5 at their positions, and Jones and Wilkerson are already dominant.

I said that already.

THRILLHO
04-06-2013, 04:21 PM
I would much rather have JJ Watt in the first than Kaepernick.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-06-2013, 04:40 PM
I said that already.

Would you like a cookie for it? Besides I wasn't just talking about the top 10. Sherman was a 5th rounder and plays as well as Revis, for one.

BertSquirtgum
04-06-2013, 05:58 PM
The Bills still wouldn't have taken Kaepernick at 3. What a dumb article.

fluteflakes
04-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Gailey would have ruined him.

Kaepernick is as good as he was due in no small part to Harbaugh and his masterful QB coaching.

malvado78
04-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Gailey would have ruined him.

Kaepernick is as good as he was due in no small part to Harbaugh and his masterful QB coaching.

Tough for Gailey to ruin him when he would have sat the bench behind Fitz. Just like TJax did.

fluteflakes
04-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Tough for Gailey to ruin him when he would have sat the bench behind Fitz. Just like TJax did.

The re-draft has us getting him 3rd overall, you don't draft a QB 3rd overall in todays NFL without him seeing the field.

He'd have started slowly, taking Brad Smiths role, then eventually getting more ingratiated with the play book and playing out of a similar offense to the one he played in college until taking over sometime in late 2011 (who knows if our record is the same as it was that year or not). But I can almost guarantee that he wouldn't even be CLOSE to the same player he is with the 9ers. Harbaugh took his time and developed him, I doubt we'd have had that luxury. Even if we did, Gailey would have forced him into his offense, not tailored the offense around him like the 49ers did.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-07-2013, 12:46 PM
The re-draft has us getting him 3rd overall, you don't draft a QB 3rd overall in todays NFL without him seeing the field.

He'd have started slowly, taking Brad Smiths role, then eventually getting more ingratiated with the play book and playing out of a similar offense to the one he played in college until taking over sometime in late 2011 (who knows if our record is the same as it was that year or not). But I can almost guarantee that he wouldn't even be CLOSE to the same player he is with the 9ers. Harbaugh took his time and developed him, I doubt we'd have had that luxury. Even if we did, Gailey would have forced him into his offense, not tailored the offense around him like the 49ers did.

Gailey's offense is perfect for Kaepernick, which is why I was so stunned when we took Aaron Williams over him. Kaepernick was setting records a UNR running the pistol option - Gailey was the first OC that I'm aware of to bring the Pistol to the NFL when he used it with Tyler Thigpen (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/cover-3/2010/cover-3-way-gun). Zone Read? Gailey was doing that years ago. Look at the first play in this highlight vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFNHZu7wyo

That's a zone read to Jackson. Kaepernick would have been great here.