PDA

View Full Version : The NHL has a diff set of rules for Kaleta

Cali512
04-05-2013, 06:59 PM
I dont see how something hes done for 5-6 years, is all of a sudden now a penalty. When Kaleta would see someone then pick up speed, and hit them it was how he became one of the best hitters. Its the players who arent looking for it, they should know at all times that Kaleta could be doing that. He doesnt jump, elbow, hit the guy when they dont have the puck, hit from behind etc. He hits people to hard and gets penalties, its bs. This is pissing me off as much as when they shoved Gerbe into a wall like the ref was a player

Mski
04-05-2013, 07:20 PM
there is a charging rule... i think it has something to do with the distance traveled to hit the opposing player

Cali512
04-05-2013, 07:25 PM
there is a charging rule... i think it has something to do with the distance traveled to hit the opposing player

42.1 Charging - A minor (http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26292) or major (http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26301) penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.
A minor, major or a major and a game misconduct (http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26306) shall be imposed on a player who charges a goalkeeper while the goalkeeper is within his goal crease.

Skooby
04-05-2013, 08:14 PM
What isn't violent in hockey, talk about being subjective.

mightysimi
04-07-2013, 09:43 AM
It's usually called if you take 2 or more strides to hit. Or jumping is also charging.

DetDannyWilliams
04-07-2013, 10:50 AM
he's #10 on the list of hated players

http://nhl.si.com/2013/02/07/the-list-nhls-most-hated-players/

PTI
04-07-2013, 06:52 PM
That is what makes Kaleta useless,

OpIv37
04-07-2013, 11:56 PM
That is what makes Kaleta useless,

You defend Roy but **** on Kaleta? Kaleta has drawn more penalties than anyone in the NhL this year. He's also developed into a damn good penalty killer.

Yeah, the refs **** on him but he's one of the few guys on this team that goes hard every shift. And his salary is peanuts by NHL standards, as opposed to Roy, eating up $4.5 mil for the production of guys making half that, with no toughness or grit added.

jamze132
04-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Derek Roy is still on the Sabres?

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-08-2013, 05:29 AM
I would like to know what the difference was with the hit on Richards and the hit last night on Tyler Myers (from Zajac).

Mski
04-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Zajac is a bigger ""star"" in the league than myers? zajac in 2ft shorter than him too?

rbochan
04-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Borrowed:

Kaleta the Most Effective Pest in the NHL

Stop living in the land of enforcers. Donald Brashear, Peter Worrell, Rob Ray, kind of players. Useless on the ice except for the fact that they are better boxers than ice hockey players. For generations this was the de facto mold for a "tough guy" in the league. Little skill, big fists, hard head.

The enforcer is dying however. Fewer and fewer teams are stocking them and they are getting less and less ice time. Teams have been shifting toward the "pest" role for years now. Instead of a player who was a liability on the ice they're opting for someone with enough skill to play a semi-regular shift who isn't going to cost the team with their defensive play. They are also looking for their pest to disrupt the other team, get them off their game, and most importantly, draw penalties. The role of the pest is not to fight. Some do and are decent at it, but that's not in the modern pest's job description.

Old school fans of the enforcers of yester year can bemoan this modern development as an affront to their precious "code", however it is the objective reality of the modern NHL. Pests are in. Slow moving skill-less enforcers are on their way out. Most NHL GMs are opting to sign players like Patrick Kaleta, Matt Cooke, and Zach Rinaldo rather than George Parros, or John Scott. The majority of enforcers left stradle the line between pest and classic tough guy and most can play a regular shift and actually be a hockey player. John Scott is an endangered species. Having a guy on your active roster that can literally do nothing other than throw a punch just doesn't make financial, or competitive sense in today's NHL.

I think most people here, would agree with my definition of a pest as a player who's role it is to get under the opposing teams's skin, get them off their game, and goad them into undisciplined, reactionary penalties. Thus, if we were to measure and discuss the best pests in the NHL, knowing how many penalties a player draws vs. how many they take would be valuable and probably be one of the top factors in determining who the most effective pest in the league is. If a pest draws penalties, but also puts his team at a disadvantage by also taking too many penalties, that would, IMO make for a bad pest. Especially as most pest type players don't contribute a lot to the scoreboard directly, getting the opposing team distracted and winning power plays for their squad is what they need to aim for.

Luckily for us, while NHL.com does not keep track of penalties drawn and taken, a great website called behindthenet.ca prides itself on recording and compiling odd and seldom talked about stats.

First off, let's look at Kaleta's basic penalty stats. What we want to know is #1: How often he draws other players into taking a penalty. Then we want to know #2: How often he commits a penalty himself and hurts the team. A top level pest should, in my opinion, at least break even in this stat. They need to draw penalties without hurting their team too often. There needs to be a net benefit.

So for 2012-2013, here are Kaleta's numbers:
Penalties Drawn per 60 minutes: 4.7
Penalties Taken per 60 minutes: 1.2
Penalty +/- +3.5

So, for every 60 minute of Ice time, Kaleta draws 3.5 more penalties than he takes. That number, is far and away the best in the NHL. His 4.7 penalties drawn is also the best by quite a fair margin as well. So not only does Patrick Kaleta draw the most penalties in the league when he plays, but he is also the best at getting his team a net Power Play benefit.

Just how much better is he than the other pests in the NHL at the moment you may ask? Well I've gone through the trouble of fishing out their numbers as well.

We have all seen the rise of Zack Rinaldo with Philly to the role of one of the most preeminent pests in the NHL this year. His number bear this out as well. He manages to draw 3.8 penalties per 60 minutes. While this is about one penalty less than Kaleta, this puts him as the 2nd best in the NHL at goading weak willed opponents into giving up a power play. However as he's still quite new he hasn't yet mastered the skill of drawing, but not taking, and takes 2.9 penalties per 60 minutes for a Penalty +/- of +0.9. Thus he nets the Flyers 1 power play per 60 minutes of ice time.

There are more pests in the league than just Kaleta and Rinaldo, although at the moment they are the two most prolific and effctive. I'm not going to discuss each one, but below you'll find a sampling of their numbers for your viewing pleasure.

NAME TEAM DRAWN TAKEN +/-

Patrick Kaleta BUF 4.7 1.2 +3.5
Zack Rinaldo PHI 3.8 2.9 +0.9
Brad Marchand - BOS - 1.3 0.5 +0.8
Daniel Carcillo CHI 1.2 0.6 +0.6
Brendan Gallagher MTL 1.8 1.3 +0.5
Chad LaRose CAR 0.9 0.6 +0.3
Leo Komarov TOR 1.0 0.7 +0.3
Jared Boll CBJ 1.2 1.2 0.0
Steve Ott BUF 1.2 1.2 0.0
Alex Burrows VAN 0.9 0.9 0.0
Raffi Torres PHX 0.4 0.2 -0.2
Colby Armstrong MTL 0.6 0.9 -0.3
Maxime Talbot PIT 0.4 0.7 -0.3
Matt Cooke PIT 0.5 1.0 -0.5
Chris Neil OTT 0.9 1.6 -0.7
Jamal Mayers CHI 0.0 2.2 -2.2
Steve Downie COL 0.0 11.7 -11.7

If you can think of another pest you're interested in seeing number on. Mosey on over to behindthenet.ca and check it out for yourself.

Thus, if we're going to judge the quality of a pest based heavily on a player getting the opposing team off their game and winning power plays for their own team in the process the numbers certainly point to Patrick Kaleta being the most prolific and effective pest in today's NHL.

gebobs
04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
I dont see how something hes done for 5-6 years, is all of a sudden now a penalty. When Kaleta would see someone then pick up speed, and hit them it was how he became one of the best hitters.
Best hitters? LOL ... Kaleta has about a 10% hit rate. In fact, it's surprising when he actually makes contact.

gebobs
04-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Borrowed:From 4 years ago.

PTI
04-08-2013, 10:31 AM
You defend Roy but **** on Kaleta? Kaleta has drawn more penalties than anyone in the NhL this year. He's also developed into a damn good penalty killer.

Yeah, the refs **** on him but he's one of the few guys on this team that goes hard every shift. And his salary is peanuts by NHL standards, as opposed to Roy, eating up $4.5 mil for the production of guys making half that, with no toughness or grit added.

Kaleta is terrible. If the Sabres cut him he would not be a regular on any other team, he would occasionally play, and be a healthy scratch most night.

gebobs
04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Kaleta is terrible. If the Sabres cut him he would not be a regular on any other team, he would occasionally play, and be a healthy scratch most night.
I have never been a Kaleta fan. It's embarrassing when the other guy throws his gloves and Kaleta turtles. Drawing penalties is about all he's good for. But with the Sabres, all that translates to is fewer scoring chances for the other team.

My guess is if he's from another city, we would have never heard of him.

Cali512
04-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I have never been a Kaleta fan. It's embarrassing when the other guy throws his gloves and Kaleta turtles. Drawing penalties is about all he's good for. But with the Sabres, all that translates to is fewer scoring chances for the other team.

My guess is if he's from another city, we would have never heard of him.

Did u see him on gregory? He didnt turtle? Half the time he turtles its at the end of the game and he doesnt wanna take a stupid penalty. Yes hes more well known because hes from here, but hes more then made his presence felt in the NHL. Back when they werent calling Kaleta for every hit he was one of the best hitters in the nhl. Ive never seen more extreme hits by a player that what ive seen kaleta deliver. Just like last night

- - - Updated - - -

Derek Roy is still on the Sabres?

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

gebobs
04-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Ive never seen more extreme hits by a player that what ive seen kaleta deliver.
I hope you're talking about the just Sabres. If that's the case, then you might have a point. This team is without a doubt the biggest bunch of vaginas on ice that I have ever seen wear blue-and-gold.

But of the present Sabres, I would say Ott is better. And from recent history, Campbell, the defining hit on Umberger aside, was a great hitter. And middle history, Peca was a much better hitter. Forget about ancient Sabres history: Korab, Schoenfeld, etc.

As far as hitting style goes, Kaleta reminds me of no one more than he reminds me of Spinner Spencer. Wildly erratic but makes a bunch of noise when he caroms off the boards.

And around the NHL, there are many players that are ten times better hitters.

rbochan
04-08-2013, 04:31 PM
From 4 years ago.

Stats were from the last 2 seasons. But don't let fact get in the way of your blind hate...

gebobs
04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Stats were from the last 2 seasons. But don't let fact get in the way of your blind hate...
I see that. I saw a similar article from '09 and you know the deal with editing here. I meant to acknowledge that, but it slipped my mind.

It's not blind nor is it hate. Kaleta is not that good other than being a pest. And as I said earlier, that ability is lost on the Sabres who have just 17 PPG to show for 7 SHG.