PDA

View Full Version : Do You Really Care if a Player is D-I-C-K if He Produces on the Field?

SpikedLemonade
04-05-2013, 07:32 PM
I don't.

Let's be honest -- Stevie is a D-I-C-K. He is "me first". I have no problem with that.

The problem I have is when he takes stupid costly after the whistle penalties and drops sure passes.

He shows some discipline and catches those passes and he can say and do whatever he wants.

For those who need their "The City of Buffalo is still relevant stroking", please remember that any Bill would be wise to say how much they love our craphole when they are being paid millions. By the way, those who left Buffalo should really think about whether you are in denial or a liar.

So when I read criticism of a player because he says stupid crap off the field, I just do not care unless he is not producing on the field.

If he is producing, say whatever you wish. You earned it.

If you are not, shut the hell up.

I do not need to feel good about the players on the team I root for. I need them to produce.

jdaltroy5
04-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Stevie actually doesn't seem like a dick at all.

Immature, sure, but he seems like a nice guy. Always doing things for charity and giving fans autographed things on his fb page.

In regards to your question, I don't give two ****s what the guy does off the field as long as he doesn't get suspended or become a distraction.

Generalissimus Gibby
04-05-2013, 07:47 PM
I don't watch footballers because I want to see good role models (that's an increasingly rare added bonus), no I watch footballers because I want them to win a ****ing championship. Play angry, kick some ass, and get to the post season. You do that, and provided you don't break any laws, you can be the biggest DICK out there.

SpikedLemonade
04-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Every NFL player does charity work and signs autographs.

Even Cam Newton.

Jeff1220
04-05-2013, 07:57 PM
I second that Stevie seems like a pretty nice guy. He has an chill demeanor about him that makes him seem like a regular guy. I think the few incidents on the field were things he did because 1. It would help him make a name for himself and 2. the fans would like it. Let's face it, most of us thought the "Why so serious?" shirt was funny, and there was no flag. That's just asking for him to try to top it, and when he tried it backfired. Back to the original question though - no, I don't think he's a d---, and yes, I think it matters to some extent. You want to win of course, but it feels a lot better when the players on the team are also personalities/characters deserving of those cheers.

Buffalo Billy Bison
04-05-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't.

Let's be honest -- Stevie is a D-I-C-K. He is "me first". I have no problem with that.

The problem I have is when he takes stupid costly after the whistle penalties and drops sure passes.

He shows some discipline and catches those passes and he can say and do whatever he wants.

For those who need their "The City of Buffalo is still relevant stroking", please remember that any Bill would be wise to say how much they love our craphole when they are being paid millions. By the way, those who left Buffalo should really think about whether you are in denial or a liar.

So when I read criticism of a player because he says stupid crap off the field, I just do not care unless he is not producing on the field.

I do not need to feel good about the players on the team I root for. I need them to produce.

I worry that he could be a locker room cancer and that's not going to work! I think Stevie is a harmless dick and is still good for the locker room!

OpIv37
04-05-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't watch footballers because I want to see good role models (that's an increasingly rare added bonus), no I watch footballers because I want them to win a ****ing championship. Play angry, kick some ass, and get to the post season. You do that, and provided you don't break any laws, you can be the biggest DICK out there.
I agree, as long as being a dick doesn't hurt the team. That's why I have a problem with Stevie. I don't really think he's a dick per se, in fact, I think he'd be fun to hang out with. But I hate it when his antics affect the team and I hate it when he doesn't come through in the clutch.

DynaPaul
04-05-2013, 09:11 PM
It depends on what we're defining as dick here. I don't see Stevie as a dick at all with his humorous stunts but now someone like Brian Cox, for instance, that guy was a true dick.

Lefty2985
04-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Don't really care. Although Stevie isn't a dick. Immature sure but when he came up to say hi to me cause I was wearing his jersey shows he isn't a dick. Some players won't even say hi to you if you say it to them.

Bert102176
04-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Jim Kelly was a huge dick during his playing days, as long as they make the team on the field better that's all that matters to me.

feldspar
04-05-2013, 11:18 PM
I don't.

Aren't you Canadian? If so, do not refer to Buffalo as "our craphole." Especially not in the same breath where you are telling true Buffalonians that somebody else is a dick. 'Cuz, you know, you shouldn't do that unless you yourself are a dick, in which case you should probably entirely STFU.

On the other hand, I don't think Stevie is a dick. He's outgoing, reasonably outspoken, and entertaining, but I don't see him as a dick. I don't think he got a single unsportsmanlike conduct penalty last year for excessive celebration or anything like that either, did he?

I like Stevie...and, by the way, I don't like dicks.

Mouldsie
04-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Yes.

And Stevie is far from a Dick. Haters gonna hate.

Downinfloflo
04-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Bring in Rolando McClain!!!

better days
04-06-2013, 06:26 AM
IMO, a DICK is an obnoxious person that other people can't stand. SpikedLemonaid would be as example of that, but not Stevie, he is loved.

camelcowboy
04-06-2013, 07:43 AM
I think our society has just grown more whiney and sensitive.

coastal
04-06-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm a dick and a great teammate!

better days
04-06-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm a dick and a great teammate!

I think the vast majority of us on this board can be dicks from time to time including myself.

Bryan Cox, Vince Wilfork, Tom Brady, Warren Sapp.............all dicks IMO, but I would have been happy to have any of them on the Bills.

Jeff1220
04-06-2013, 08:50 AM
I think the vast majority of us on this board can be dicks from time to time including myself.

Bryan Cox, Vince Wilfork, Tom Brady, Warren Sapp.............all dicks IMO, but I would have been happy to have any of them on the Bills.

Idk how I'd feel unless it actually happened. But I do know Bryan Cox on the Bills would NOT have made me happy.

better days
04-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Idk how I'd feel unless it actually happened. But I do know Bryan Cox on the Bills would NOT have made me happy.

If the Bills had drafted Bryan Cox, EVERYONE would have LOVED him as a Bill. He was a very good player that had passion for playing. And he is now a NFL Coach.

pmoon6
04-06-2013, 09:11 AM
HaHaHa. Some of left Buffalo to make a living. We were free agents that played for a new "team" because the hometown team wasn't offering any opportunity.

That doesn't mean we don't still love our hometown or the teams that play for it.

Some ******* that lives outside Toronto and roots for the Bruins should just shut his face. The only reason you attached to the Bills' is because they were good in the late '80's and early '90's. Maybe you should join Coastal on the left coast because you're both front runners.

As far as Stevie Johnson, I don't think he has an edit button on his big mouth. Why would you antagonize a division opponent by saying you hoped the city was nuked? Why would you come up with a touchdown celebration that ridicules one of your division opponents players? You can be entertaining without being an idiot. I don't think his latest comments were even funny.

Tom Landry hated the fact that the Cowboys were being marketed as "Americas Team", He hated the cheerleaders idea. In my book, he was the greatest coach in NFL history. His only focus was on the field and making yourself a target was just dumb. If you notice, the best coach in today's game takes the same tact. Why? Because all the outside crap takes away from the game. If you are spending time with all the bull****, giving soundbytes to the voracious media, then your not concentrating on what's important. Your game. Jerry Rice didn't waste his time ****** around, he was too busy improving. Neither did Joe Montana.

There is a reason the '85 Chicago Bears never got back to the Super Bowl. They stopped being a football team and became celebrities. Probably the greatest defense and scheme ever put together. Very sad.

Maybe Stevie's problem is concentration. He's too worried about what he's going to say in the post game interview instead of making the game winning catch. He plans TD celebrations instead of watching game film.

The answer to the question "Do you care how a player acts off the field?" The answer is yes, a player has to carry himself with professionalism and integrity. Whether they say "I didn't sign up to be a role model" is immaterial. They are one and their influence carries weight. They need to take that responsibility seriously instead of trying to get giggles from idiot fans.

pmoon6
04-06-2013, 09:15 AM
If the Bills had drafted Bryan Cox, EVERYONE would have LOVED him as a Bill. He was a very good player that had passion for playing. And he is now a NFL Coach.I agree, very good linebacker, but he played for the Dolphins and his actions made it possible to be a focus of our hate. It was hard to hate Marino because he was so good, even though he was a crybaby.

Personally, I hated Richmond Webb. He held Bruce Smith constantly and never got called. It was the Don Schula effect.

Meathead
04-06-2013, 06:38 PM
DICK is an obnoxious person that other people can't stand. SpikedLemonaid would be as example of that

i dont think its just coincidence that 'spiked lemonade' is an anagram for 'makes odd penile'

Pinkerton Security
04-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Maybe Stevie's problem is concentration. He's too worried about what he's going to say in the post game interview instead of making the game winning catch. He plans TD celebrations instead of watching game film.

The answer to the question "Do you care how a player acts off the field?" The answer is yes, a player has to carry himself with professionalism and integrity. Whether they say "I didn't sign up to be a role model" is immaterial. They are one and their influence carries weight. They need to take that responsibility seriously instead of trying to get giggles from idiot fans.

Firstly - you have absolutely no data to back up the assertion that Stevie doesn't watch game film, I can absolutely guarantee you he does, you obviously just dont like him. Dont throw out random opinions and present them as fact.

And secondly, there is a difference between having integrity off the field and staying out of trouble. Tons of guys in the NFL are Grade-A dicks, yet stay out of trouble and remain successful because of that.

EDS
04-08-2013, 09:13 AM
I don't.

I am not in the majority likely, but I do care about the caliber and quality of the person I am routing for not just his talent as a football player. For example, I think Stevie Johnson comes across as incredibly juvenile and that lowers my opinion of him generally. Being juvenile is better than being an all-out felon of course and I admittedly have a higher threshold for stupid stuff my more talented players. Fringe players that are trouble makers I have almost no tolerance for.

I still route for the Bills in any event

Joe Fo Sho
04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
I'd root for anyone if they brought a championship to Buffalo.

pmoon6
04-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I'd root for anyone if they brought a championship to Buffalo.And that's why these athletes think they can do anything they want off the field.

It's why there is a PED problem in all the major sports.

Joe Fo Sho
04-08-2013, 09:57 AM
And that's why these athletes think they can do anything they want off the field.

It's why there is a PED problem in all the major sports.

I'm of the opinion that their job is to entertain me for 3 hours a week. I'm more entertained if they're playing well, and even more so when they win a championship. If you win me a championship, do whatever you want off the field.