PDA

View Full Version : Just say NO to the Olympics NHL!

DetDannyWilliams
04-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Interesting reveal from Glenn Healy on Hockey Night in Canada’s Hot
Stove segment tonight regarding this week’s Olympic talks.

All parties are scheduled to meet on Friday with hopes of finalizing the deal
that would see NHL players take part in the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Not
surprisingly, assumption of insurance costs will be one of the main topics. As
Healy noted, a few recent contracts highlight the significance of this
issue.

Insuring Sidney Crosby, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf alone will run something
like $800,000. Look at the stars expected to make up the rosters for the
tournament and you can see how quickly the total insurance costs will run into
the tens of millions…and why the NHL wants no part in footing that bill.
http://nhl.si.com/2013/04/06/olympic-contract-insurance/?sct=uk_t2_a4

OpIv37
04-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah well the last Olympics got a USA-Canada gold medal game featuring some of the league's best players, not to mention teams from Russia, Sweden, and Finland that also featured NHL stars. It was a great free commercial for the NHL.

Unfortunately, Bettman pissed away all that good will with yet another lockout.

SabreEleven
04-07-2013, 03:59 PM
No NHL means that no one will watch. I'm sure that's what they want.

Generalissimus Gibby
04-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Well ****, who wants to watch NHL all stars when we can have the KHL:ill:

Typ0
04-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I would still watch. The teams would be just as competitive with the best amateurs playing. It's really about the competition for me not if I see the all stars...

Mski
04-08-2013, 07:52 AM
I would still watch. The teams would be just as competitive with the best amateurs playing. It's really about the competition for me not if I see the all stars...
that would mean no players under contract of an NHL club, not just players on an NHL roster... this also means that most of the worlds "elite" jr's wouldnt be involved either

Typ0
04-08-2013, 09:45 AM
that would mean no players under contract of an NHL club, not just players on an NHL roster... this also means that most of the worlds "elite" jr's wouldnt be involved either

sounds like a leveled playing field to me!

gebobs
04-08-2013, 10:17 AM
No NHL means that no one will watch. I'm sure that's what they want.
It'll be just like the good old days on Sportschannel America!

trapezeus
04-08-2013, 11:16 AM
$800k for the 3 best players sounds like insurance is hardly a cost. they can make that back on revenue sharing with NBC in ad time over one game.

Typ0
04-08-2013, 12:44 PM
It's a lot of money when you consider the entire tournament will be stacked with NHL players ... all needing insurance though. Sure they can get the money back but that is otherwise profit....

- - - Updated - - -

It's a lot of money when you consider the entire tournament will be stacked with NHL players ... all needing insurance though. Sure they can get the money back but that is otherwise profit....

how does that work anyway??? Doesn't the Olympics get the revenues from the Ads?

Mski
04-08-2013, 01:38 PM
sounds like a leveled playing field to me!wouldnt you rather see the best in the world competing against one another

gebobs
04-08-2013, 01:56 PM
wouldnt you rather see the best in the world competing against one another
We see it every year. I for one wouldn't mind seeing the amateurs back.

OpIv37
04-08-2013, 01:59 PM

- - - Updated - - -

how does that work anyway??? Doesn't the Olympics get the revenues from the Ads?

I don't know for sure but I would guess the network pays the Olympics a ****load of money for the rights to broadcast it, then make up that money by selling ad time.

trapezeus
04-08-2013, 09:55 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just guessing there is a revenue share. pro's make the tv revenues more likely. why stop their season if they aren't getting some of the action.

gebobs
04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm just guessing there is a revenue share. pro's make the tv revenues more likely. why stop their season if they aren't getting some of the action.

For the pride of playing for one's country?

Hahahahaha...sorry. I think I busted a rib.

From what I can tell, US players get paid for medal performances ($25k for gold, $15k for silver, $10k for bronze) by the USOC. Other than that, they get endorsements. That seems to be it.

Mski
04-09-2013, 08:03 AM
For the pride of playing for one's country?

Hahahahaha...sorry. I think I busted a rib.

From what I can tell, US players get paid for medal performances ($25k for gold, $15k for silver, $10k for bronze) by the USOC. Other than that, they get endorsements. That seems to be it.
payments are made by the host country the the medal winners.... in london all the endowments were paid by the london olympic commitee

mightysimi
04-09-2013, 10:28 AM
payments are made by the host country the the medal winners.... in london all the endowments were paid by the london olympic commitee
That doesn't stop the home country from shelling out too. I know we do in Canada. It must be the same for you.

Typ0
04-09-2013, 08:47 PM

maybe that's why the insurance costs are a sticking point though. The Olympics have nothing to do with the NHL really. And what kind of ratings are NHL games going to get when the olympics are active?