PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Montgomery Barkley - Quarterback, Buffalo Bills

BillsImpossible
04-07-2013, 08:27 PM
This is perhaps the least predictable draft ever for the Buffalo Bills...or is it obvious?

I'd be happy starting the Doug Marrone era off by selecting Matt Barkley in the 1st round.

He doesn't have a super strong arm like JP Losman or JaMarcus Russell did, but he does have a good football head on his shoulders and a good arm. Intangible assets like personality and natural leadership skills to backup their football skills go a very long way in the NFL. A player has to earn respect off the field first before they can lead on the field. Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Brett Favre...all great QB's, and their teammates knew who their leader was.

I think Doug Marrone puts leadership first and foremost on top of his giant checklist of things to do around the Bills house.

I'd be happy with the pick because it would tell me that Marrone knows the obvious - the Buffalo Bills need a true leader at quarterback, and until that happens everything else really doesn't matter. Beef up the D, sign a wide receiver or two...draft the next Larry Allen, all in vein without the most important part.

Don't over-think it, or draft paralysis sets in. Next thing you know you think the Bills should draft Chance Warmack at 8. I'm so guilty of over analyzing this draft! What in the hell was I thinking?

Quarterback....duh.

If Barkley is a bust, fine. At least they're trying to fix the most important part of the engine. Then they just draft another QB in the first round next year too. And the Bills should do that every single freaking year until they finally get a true franchise quarterback!

"And nothing else matters!" as Metallica said.

OpIv37
04-07-2013, 08:47 PM
M. Montgomery Barkley? I should have known that douche was a relative of C. Montgomery Burns.

And that settles it: whether we draft him or not, I'm calling him Monty for his entire career.

And what happened to the Simpsons smilies?

swiper
04-08-2013, 05:13 AM
He'd be a reach at #8. This might be one rare instance where Buddy Nix moves his position via trade?

X-Era
04-08-2013, 05:40 AM
So, were supposed to be running a west coast offense and I found this breakdown of the 2013 QB class at ESPN interesting:

"Read/Progression QB's

Quarterbacks who fit into these schemes -- whether true West Coast offenses or those that incorporate similar principles -- are able to get through their reads quickly, show proper footwork, get the ball out on time and in rhythm, and must be accurate. Among this year's prospects, USC's Matt Barkley (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29232/matt-barkley) (Scouts Inc. grade: 87) is atop the list."

The two other names mentioned: Tyler Wilson and Ryan Nassib

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog/_/name/nfl_draft/id/9137725/2013-nfl-draft-examining-three-qb-types

coastal
04-08-2013, 06:21 AM
I wouldn't be upset with this pick.

Bangarang
04-08-2013, 06:24 AM
He'd be a reach at #8. This might be one rare instance where Buddy Nix moves his position via trade?

He's not a reach if he ends up being a long term solution to QB.

YardRat
04-08-2013, 06:25 AM
I'm not real big on using a first round pick every year until you 'hit' on a QB. Takes at least a couple to develop somebody, and the better talent you have around a QB (in other words, using your first round picks on talent instead of gambles) the better the situation to develop one with.

Pinkerton Security
04-08-2013, 07:03 AM
I'd honestly be OK with that, but I doubt we go QB round 1 with Kolb in the fold...you know the Bills are going to place too much trust in him.

better days
04-08-2013, 07:18 AM
So, were supposed to be running a west coast offense and I found this breakdown of the 2013 QB class at ESPN interesting:

"Read/Progression QB's

Quarterbacks who fit into these schemes -- whether true West Coast offenses or those that incorporate similar principles -- are able to get through their reads quickly, show proper footwork, get the ball out on time and in rhythm, and must be accurate. Among this year's prospects, USC's Matt Barkley (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29232/matt-barkley) (Scouts Inc. grade: 87) is atop the list."

The two other names mentioned: Tyler Wilson and Ryan Nassib

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog/_/name/nfl_draft/id/9137725/2013-nfl-draft-examining-three-qb-types

The problem with Barkley is he doesn't have the arm strength to play in the conditions of Buffalo or the AFC East in general.

ServoBillieves
04-08-2013, 07:23 AM
I'd honestly be OK with that, but I doubt we go QB round 1 with Kolb in the fold...you know the Bills are going to place too much trust in him.

Nail on the head.

CoolBreeze
04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
I believe I've stated this before, and I will state it again. Because I know most of you are delusional. USC QB's, California QB's, and weak armed QB's do not belong in Buffalo! But for some odd reason some of you here love the idea of bringing in a guy who's all of the above. I don't care if he fits the scheme, In November he's going to be throwing 25-30 yard lob passes in Buffalo's wonderful weather. I could very well be wrong, and I hope I am if we draft him. But i'm like 90% sure Barkley would be a terrible fit for the Bills at least. But no no he'll be a great pick for us... If Smith, Nassib, and Wilson are off the board.

fluteflakes
04-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Nail on the head.

I don't know, I mean look at who the Bills have invited too all their official visits. There aren't too many prospects other than QB's that are projected first rounders, let alone guys who are projected top ten. I think OBD is primed to grab a QB at #8, weather he's a reach or not.

Cali512
04-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I dont get how people are to stupid to figure out that this is this yrs Ponder, Gabbert, Tebow, Locker etc. Its gonna happen, people who act now that hes good will act un surprised by it just so they dont look to stupid.