PDA

View Full Version : Where To Build A New Stadium? I'd Keep It In Orchard Park

BillsImpossible
04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Niagara Falls? No. Imagine a free agent prospect driving in a limo through the city of Niagara Falls. That wouldn't be a good impression, and I hate to say that because the city should be a gem, but it's corrupt, poorly run, looks like something out of eastern communist Poland, and the taxes in Niagara County are actually higher than Erie County.

Buffalo? No. Although the limo ride for prospective free agents driving through the city of Buffalo would be much more aesthetically pleasing, (and smell better) there's simply not enough space in the city to build a new football palace. The waterfront? Do you know how much crap they buried on our waterfront during WW2? The old steel mills? Build a new stadium and a giant parking lot on a brownfield? What contractor is willing to do that? How many, "environmental studies," would first have to be done? They couldn't build a new Peace Bridge because birds would get caught in the structure. Doing business in Buffalo is often difficult. A very wealthy landlord I know flat out refuses to do any business in the city of Buffalo because of the corruption and government red tape. Want to open a new strip mall downtown? Get out your wallet. Want to park downtown on a Sunday afternoon during a Bills game in 2023? $75 please.

Orchard Park? Yes. If it's not broke, why try to fix it? The location works, and it works very well as the home of the Buffalo Bills. The team may be bad, but it sure as hell ain't broke. Ralph Wilson has made a handsome profit in every year of business as the Bills owner since he purchased the team for less than a new Lexus. Even with horrible teams, the fans keep going to the games for a very important reason: the tailgate party and football atmosphere on a Sunday afternoon - THAT is priceless, and perhaps the sole reason why the Bills are a successful NFL team from an economic perspective. Location, location, location...is key to business success and Ralph Wilson got it right in that sense.

The Bills have one of the best, if not the best tailgating experiences in all of professional sports in America. Why do so many Canadians like to come down to OP and party on Sundays? It's all about the atmosphere, the open space, the crazy fans, the colors and smells of fall and the coming winter, and the accessibility to take a leak in the woods or somebody's backyard parking lot without people getting their panties in a bunch. It's all about the party. The people who own houses around Ralph Wilson Stadium know and understand our football culture. Orchard Park offers a wide open tailgating experience that football fans across America love and respect. Every game the Bills play at home is like a giant party, regardless of the team's record. The game of football, beer, food, and a fire brings us all together as One Bills Nation on Sundays. I hope the next owner of the Buffalo Bills keeps it that way and realizes this.

BertSquirtgum
04-08-2013, 09:25 PM
They should build it across the street on parking lot C and then knock the old stadium down and turn that into a parking lot. Neither the city of Buffalo or the City of Niagara Falls could never handle all the traffic from a Bills game.

BillsFever21
04-08-2013, 10:10 PM
I'd like to see it stay in Orchard Park because of the big open space and tailgating lots. Not to mention it's shorter and an easy entrance and exit back onto the highway from the way I travel to the games.

If we ever do build a new stadium they are going to choose whichever city gives them the best deal and where they feel it would be the most profitable and recognizable for the team, city and local business. Where RWS is currently at there really isn't such a thing as many local business nearby to frequent before or after the game. They're not going to take the tailgating experience into consideration.

I've been to Heinz Field for a couple Bills/Steelers game and the tailgating experience is nothing like it is at RWS. Sure it's a good time and all that but being stuck down in the city in multiple small/midsize lots within a mile of the stadium takes away from the experience. Many of the people hang out inside of the bars and restaurants to tailgate before the games. I'm sure that's what they want though as the local business close by make a killing on them days. The stadium itself rocks though. PNC Park and Heinz Field are both very nice and greatly constructed.

Historian
04-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Any monies kicked in by the State and county will probably have some sort of waterfront development clause attached to them.

JMO.

trapezeus
04-09-2013, 07:55 AM
to develop the waterfront, you have to have a fan base that might actually enjoy sitting in a restaurant as opposed to the back of their cars.

yes, the RWS tailgate experience would change, but it would change to enhance the area. being in OP is pointless. be in buffalo and revitalize the area. it's one of the most notable buffalo products we have. let's have it help the city.

OpIv37
04-09-2013, 08:11 AM
I'd like to see it stay in Orchard Park because of the big open space and tailgating lots. Not to mention it's shorter and an easy entrance and exit back onto the highway from the way I travel to the games.

If we ever do build a new stadium they are going to choose whichever city gives them the best deal and where they feel it would be the most profitable and recognizable for the team, city and local business. Where RWS is currently at there really isn't such a thing as many local business nearby to frequent before or after the game. They're not going to take the tailgating experience into consideration.

I've been to Heinz Field for a couple Bills/Steelers game and the tailgating experience is nothing like it is at RWS. Sure it's a good time and all that but being stuck down in the city in multiple small/midsize lots within a mile of the stadium takes away from the experience. Many of the people hang out inside of the bars and restaurants to tailgate before the games. I'm sure that's what they want though as the local business close by make a killing on them days. The stadium itself rocks though. PNC Park and Heinz Field are both very nice and greatly constructed.

Baltimore is the same way. At least in Pittsburgh, the stadium is over the bridge and there are some lots nearby. In Baltimore, the stadium is right downtown. A lot of people park in parking garages used by downtown workers during the week. There are a handful of lots around the stadium, but they fill up fast and are too costly for most people.

And FedEx Field in Washington: pathetic. The stadium isn't even in the city- it's in the MD suburbs. But the parking right around the stadium is very expensive and everyone else has to park in these decentralized office park lots and take shuttle buses to the stadium. And at least Balt and Pittsburgh have bars that are walking distance from the stadium. FedEx has the isolation of a suburban/rural stadium with the parking problems of an urban stadium. It's literally the worst of both worlds.

Night Train
04-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Any monies kicked in by the State and county will probably have some sort of waterfront development clause attached to them.

JMO.

Agreed. All things being equal, the answer is downtown but the logistics of traffic/parking is of great concern.

It's very easy to get in and out of OP, with the 219, the 90, Route 5 etc. but not as easy with a 70,000 seat stadium in our Downtown. The 90,190 would be bottlenecked at many points and those coming down main streets like Main,Elmwood or Deleware would be backed up. Where would people park ?

sukie
04-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Does NFTA still own thae land that a waterfront stadium wo9uld be on? It seems that NFTA would f up any deal... or at the very least jack up the price of construction.

Uncle Jesse
04-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Agreed. All things being equal, the answer is downtown but the logistics of traffic/parking is of great concern.

It's very easy to get in and out of OP, with the 219, the 90, Route 5 etc. but not as easy with a 70,000 seat stadium in our Downtown. The 90,190 would be bottlenecked at many points and those coming down main streets like Main,Elmwood or Deleware would be backed up. Where would people park ?

This is why I love the stadium where it is. Being a season ticket holder for 8 years now, I park on California road and have never waited in a line of traffic to get to, or out of a game in those 8 years. I take that and a few back roads and I'm on 219 South in 5 mins and home in 15. There's so many places to park and ways to get out, it's fantastic.

Plus the obvious space for tailgating and such, it's perfect.

TedMock
04-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Baltimore is the same way. At least in Pittsburgh, the stadium is over the bridge and there are some lots nearby. In Baltimore, the stadium is right downtown. A lot of people park in parking garages used by downtown workers during the week. There are a handful of lots around the stadium, but they fill up fast and are too costly for most people.

And FedEx Field in Washington: pathetic. The stadium isn't even in the city- it's in the MD suburbs. But the parking right around the stadium is very expensive and everyone else has to park in these decentralized office park lots and take shuttle buses to the stadium. And at least Balt and Pittsburgh have bars that are walking distance from the stadium. FedEx has the isolation of a suburban/rural stadium with the parking problems of an urban stadium. It's literally the worst of both worlds.

FedEx is the worst fan experience I have ever seen. Not only are you forced to park miles away in a crappy lot, but you pay to park there AND you pay another couple bucks to get on the ridiculously crowded shuttle with standing room only. It's only a couple of bucks, but still. It's the principle that bothers me. Then, you get to the stadium and viewing is about as bad as I've ever seen because of it's vertical design. They even ran out of napkins a couple of years ago. I hate that place. Then, you get to do it all over again on the way out.

OpIv37
04-09-2013, 09:45 AM
FedEx is the worst fan experience I have ever seen. Not only are you forced to park miles away in a crappy lot, but you pay to park there AND you pay another couple bucks to get on the ridiculously crowded shuttle with standing room only. It's only a couple of bucks, but still. It's the principle that bothers me. Then, you get to the stadium and viewing is about as bad as I've ever seen because of it's vertical design. They even ran out of napkins a couple of years ago. I hate that place. Then, you get to do it all over again on the way out.

I think they stopped charging you to take the shuttle if you park in one of their "official" lots, but they still charge you $40 for parking that's not even walking distance from the stadium. And the $40 was for a preseason game 3 or 4 years ago so it wouldn't shock me if they've increased the price since then.

And the shuttle on the way out is even worse. People tend to trickle into the stadium at different times- some go in early, some stay tailgating and go in late, so the traffic isn't that bad. But everyone leaves at the exact same time and the shuttle buses get caught up in all the traffic and it takes forever.

Miserable experience.

BillsImpossible
04-09-2013, 08:15 PM
This is why I love the stadium where it is. Being a season ticket holder for 8 years now, I park on California road and have never waited in a line of traffic to get to, or out of a game in those 8 years. I take that and a few back roads and I'm on 219 South in 5 mins and home in 15. There's so many places to park and ways to get out, it's fantastic.

Plus the obvious space for tailgating and such, it's perfect.

It is perfect. The football experience in Orchard Park is one of a kind, and it is GREATNESS, even if the team isn't (for now).

During the Thursday Night game against the Phins this past year (crowd was awesome!), traffic on the way to the game was horrible because it was a Thursday and everyone got out of work at the same time. It was a highway mess getting home from work, even Transit and Harlem were jammed with traffic but we got to the game in 15 minutes down Union Rd. no prob. I hadn't been to a game since 2003 and had no idea what to expect on the way home after the Bills won because we always had a lot of very memorable fun back then with a big fire, food, friends and new friends, beer, and the designated driver.

That was then, and this is now...so we had to go home asap because of that thing called work.

Honest to God, we got home in less time than it took to get frisked by security before the game started. I was astonished. It was an awesome experience, and I didn't even get to tailgate before the game and enjoy a beer.

BillsImpossible
04-09-2013, 09:06 PM
to develop the waterfront, you have to have a fan base that might actually enjoy sitting in a restaurant as opposed to the back of their cars.

yes, the RWS tailgate experience would change, but it would change to enhance the area. being in OP is pointless. be in buffalo and revitalize the area. it's one of the most notable buffalo products we have. let's have it help the city.

I think our fan base would rather sit on the tailgate of their truck, get out the BBQ, crack a beer at 10am and soak in the great outdoors on their day off instead of sitting in an Applebee's watching horrible pregame shows on television, and spending money on food and beer when they can do it themselves for a lot less, with a fire too, and their own party. One of the reasons why going to a Bills game is so cool is because it's like being invited to the biggest party in town.

Buffalo needs to help themselves first before the Bills can help the city. And they're definitely not helping themselves by making it such an arduous pain in the ass just to let a Taco truck sell food downtown. Compared to other big cities, that's quite pathetic. As if competition isn't good....

Being in OP is not pointless, Buffalo is pointless and dangerous because of its anti-business environment. Orchard Park is a great place to do business, and it shows. I think the only reason why the Bills are still here in WNY is because of the location of their stadium. Be honest...would people still go to the games and sell them out year after year if they couldn't tailgate?

A new stadium downtown would not, "revitalize," the city of Buffalo...petty politics alone would eventually send the Bills and their new owner elsewhere.

No tailgate party = no Bills.

Imagine starting a fire on the grounds of a new stadium in the city...do you have a permit for that? I'm sure the city would come up with some program and force people to attend a, "fire safety," training course, pay $100 per season, and mandate an annual renewal fee.

The Buffalo Bills wouldn't exist today if Ralph Wilson, Jr. decided to build Rich Stadium downtown.

No tailgate party, crappy teams, stupid high parking costs...seeya later Buffalo, hello Toronto or LA.

BillsImpossible
04-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Does NFTA still own thae land that a waterfront stadium wo9uld be on? It seems that NFTA would f up any deal... or at the very least jack up the price of construction.

Yes, they unfortunately still own it. That's a great point, a nice glimpse into the f'd up politics in the city of Buffalo, and a damn good reason not to build a new stadium downtown. The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) is in charge of public transportation. They're in charge of the giant bus that you never want to get behind while driving. WTF does that have to do with waterfront property, prime real estate, or development? Why in the hell is a, "public transportation," authority in charge of the waterfront? Does that make any sense? That's like putting the Erie County Water Authority in charge of the NFTA.

I don't blame Ralph Wilson for staying far away from the city. He saved our team with that decision back in the early 1970's, and helped spread a tailgating football culture across America that fans worldwide love and respect.