PDA

View Full Version : Kolb deal “screams backup”

ThunderGun
04-09-2013, 10:33 AM
from PFT:

When news broke more than a week ago of quarterback Kevin Kolb’s deal with the Bills, it was reported that Kolb, who made $20 million in 20 months with the Cardinals, could make a “maximum” of $13 million over two years in Buffalo. Sounds like starter money, right?

The truth, as a league source with knowledge of the deal tells PFT, is that the contract “screams backup.”

Specifically, Kolb is guaranteed to make only $1 million, and the contract has a base value of $6.1 million. This means that $6.9 million is tied up in escalators and incentives and other factors that likely require Kolb to actually play — and play well — to get the money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/09/kolb-deal-screams-backup/

trapezeus
04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
you ever think these escalators stay in a players head? Like you have 14 TD passes on the season, it's a nice bump in pay to get to 15 and you are 3rd and 1 from the 1....you think a player would be like, "i'm audibling out of this run for a pass. i'm getting paid!"

curious on people's thoughts.

PTI
04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Bills are stuck on the cap from Fitz's deal. If Kolb plays well this year he will get a new deal before next year starts.

BertSquirtgum
04-09-2013, 11:04 AM
from PFT:

When news broke more than a week ago of quarterback Kevin Kolb’s deal with the Bills, it was reported that Kolb, who made $20 million in 20 months with the Cardinals, could make a “maximum” of $13 million over two years in Buffalo. Sounds like starter money, right?

The truth, as a league source with knowledge of the deal tells PFT, is that the contract “screams backup.”

Specifically, Kolb is guaranteed to make only $1 million, and the contract has a base value of $6.1 million. This means that $6.9 million is tied up in escalators and incentives and other factors that likely require Kolb to actually play — and play well — to get the money.

Anyone think the Bills learned their lesson with Fitzpatrick?

- - - Updated - - -

you ever think these escalators stay in a players head? Like you have 14 TD passes on the season, it's a nice bump in pay to get to 15 and you are 3rd and 1 from the 1....you think a player would be like, "i'm audibling out of this run for a pass. i'm getting paid!"

Million dollar escalators? Oh yeah.

better days
04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Well, this contract is as we all thought it was. Low risk high reward. If Kolb stays healthy & plays well, he gets paid & we are all happy, if not than no problem financially for the Bills

BertSquirtgum
04-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I also think everyone better hold on to their seats because I believe the Bills will be drafting whoever they think is their franchise QB at 8.

Jaybird
04-09-2013, 11:27 AM
I also think everyone better hold on to their seats because I believe the Bills will be drafting whoever they think is their franchise QB at 8.

I think they will try and trade down then take that QB

mrbojanglezs
04-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Knowing the figures now. Great deal and move!

BertSquirtgum
04-09-2013, 11:32 AM
I think they will try and trade down then take that QB

and if they can't trade down it's very likely their guy will be drafted at 8.

OpIv37
04-09-2013, 11:58 AM

it can **** with coaches and the way teams operate as well.

Boomer Esiason used to call into a local morning show every week during the season, and once he told a story about how he was playing with the Cards and they benched him the last week of the season when he was playing well, because he would have reached some incentives and earned an extra million or so.

And there are rumors that the reason TJax didn't see the field last year was because of either escalators in his contract for playing time or because the draft pick we traded for him was conditional and could have become a 6th if he did well enough.

I'd like to think that the Bills wouldn't do this, but we've seen them pinch pennies in the past....

psubills62
04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
6.1m over 2 years with only 1m guaranteed? Not bad at all.

Meathead
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
russ is cheap

delectrolux
04-09-2013, 12:25 PM

If that audible scores a touchdown, then truthfully, who cares?

justasportsfan
04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
At least Kolb is willing to start all over and fight for the starting job. Fitz wasn't.

Historian
04-09-2013, 12:31 PM

I don't think some of the QBs we have had recently can remember the damn playbook...much less the details of their contracts.

OpIv37
04-09-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't think some of the QBs we have had recently can remember the damn playbook...much less the details of their contracts.

Can't remember? There was at least one who never bothered to learn it in the first place.

ThunderGun
04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
it can **** with coaches and the way teams operate as well.

Boomer Esiason used to call into a local morning show every week during the season, and once he told a story about how he was playing with the Cards and they benched him the last week of the season when he was playing well, because he would have reached some incentives and earned an extra million or so.

And there are rumors that the reason TJax didn't see the field last year was because of either escalators in his contract for playing time or because the draft pick we traded for him was conditional and could have become a 6th if he did well enough.

I'd like to think that the Bills wouldn't do this, but we've seen them pinch pennies in the past....

Didn't we do this with McGahee in his final game with the Bills? He went into the game with like 950 yards, and he barely touched the ball all game. I remember there was a rumor that he would have hit an escalator if he hit 1000 yards.

PTI
04-09-2013, 01:14 PM
At least Kolb is willing to start all over and fight for the starting job. Fitz wasn't.

I think his agent wasn't.

justasportsfan
04-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Oh well. Getting rid of Fitz and signing Kolb is sounding better each minute. Before I get accused of accepting mediocrity, I'm not saying that Kolb is in anyway the answer but Kolb's salary plus his familiarity with the WCO is better than having Fitz.

stuckincincy
04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Oh well. Getting rid of Fitz and signing Kolb is sounding better each minute. Before I get accused of accepting mediocrity, I'm not saying that Kolb is in anyway the answer but Kolb's salary plus his familiarity with the WCO is better than having Fitz.

The WCO is dead. Meaningless with today's whoopee pass rules.

better days
04-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Get REAL. The agent works for the player. PERIOD.

PTI
04-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Get REAL. The agent works for the player. PERIOD.

Yes, and he wanted Fitz to get paid that 3 million roster bonus, and once he got that bonus what does it matter what the Bills do? Of course his agent said do not renegotiate.

You get real.

YardRat
04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
I think it screams 'Prove it'.

DraftBoy
04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Wait...you're telling me they didn't spend $13 Million on this guy? Well who the would of thought of that?

People overreacting for no good reason.

feldspar
04-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Well, this contract is as we all thought it was. Low risk high reward.

Yeah, SOME of use were using our heads. Some others totally flipped their lids at the signing. I don't need to remind you of the other threads, do I?

I knew incentives would play in quite a bit, but this deal sounds better than I would have imagined. Considering the Bills circumstances, this is a fantastic deal for them...a true no-brainer for us to sign Kolb on a deal like this. Of course, many here do not want to consider particular circumstances or that the Bills need to act in the specific situation they find themselves in.

I take it that nobody has a problem with signing Kolb anymore? It makes all the sense in the world.

Now we see what happens at QB in the draft.

better days
04-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Yes, and he wanted Fitz to get paid that 3 million roster bonus, and once he got that bonus what does it matter what the Bills do? Of course his agent said do not renegotiate.

You get real.

Well, I think you are WRONG. SMART is one thing Fitz is. And I believe he is his own man. The decision to not renegotiate was made by Fitz, NOT his agent.

Bangarang
04-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Nix said Fitz was competing for a backup spot. The plan is still to draft a QB early and have him play. The only difference is that Kolb is taking Fitz's place in competing for a backup spot.

PTI
04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Well, I think you are WRONG. SMART is one thing Fitz is. And I believe he is his own man. The decision to not renegotiate was made by Fitz, NOT his agent.

Smart people let their agents negotiate their deals for the most part. No matter how smart you think Fitz is, he is a QB still in the NFL. Why the **** do people have agents then?

I am most certainly right.

stuckincincy
04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Wait...you're telling me they didn't spend $13 Million on this guy? Well who the would of thought of that?

Yep, CIN signed John Johnson and John Skelton recently. In the entertainment biz, it is called an "appearance fee."

BUF could can Kolb the first day of camp, and pay little (in NFL $).

better days
04-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Smart people let their agents negotiate their deals for the most part. No matter how smart you think Fitz is, he is a QB still in the NFL. Why the **** do people have agents then?

SMART people let their agents NEGOTIATE their contracts, but they decide themselves if they WANT that contract or not. Fitz made the decision NOT to renegotiate a NEW contract, NOT the agent.

You are WRONG.

Just as smart people have others do the paperwork when buying a house, they do not let those people tell them which house to buy.

feldspar
04-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Fitz's agent works for Fitz. Agents negotiate contracts to get top dollar, but they most certainly don't TELL their clients what to do; at best, they ADVISE players, but it's not the agent's football career, and it's not his choice. In other words, if Fitz really wanted to renegotiate, he would have because it's HIS choice. You are NOT right. Your line of thinking goes against simple logic. You don't hire an agent just to do whatever he tells you to do. It's not his place to tell a player to pack his bags, sell his house, and move his family...I can't believe that I even have to explain this to you.

Nobody really knows what kind of renegotiation figures the Bills offered Fitz, either. I'm just glad that we didn't retain him in ANY capacity. It's time to turn the page.

X-Era
04-09-2013, 04:40 PM

:clap:

If someone had said, at the start of FA, that we could probably land a guy like Kevin Kolb for a little over 3 mill per year there would have been many here claiming it was crazy talk.

EDS
04-09-2013, 04:44 PM
from PFT:

I think you mean: Kolb "screams backup"

ServoBillieves
04-09-2013, 04:45 PM
ZOMG I CAN'T BELIEVE BUMBLING BUDDY MORON SIGNED THIS ASSHAT TO A $13 MILLION CONTRACT! WHAT A STUPID FRANCHISE!!!!

Oh wait... incentive laden? That seems like a smart move. Hmm... Maybe some of us don't work for the organization

Night Train
04-09-2013, 05:54 PM

People overreacting for desperate attention

Corrected.

Night Train
04-09-2013, 06:15 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22036612/kevin-kolbs-bills-deal-guarantees-him-only-1m-more-like-a-kick-tires-backup-contract