PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Musings/Rumors

DraftBoy
04-10-2013, 06:16 AM
I haven't had a ton of time to sit down and write for BBD but here are some things I've seen/heard and some of my own thoughts. These are strictly RUMORS that are flying around, there is little to do with Buffalo, and I'll post the sources of those that are rumors;

Rumors-
1. The Chiefs are current leaning towards taking Oregon OLB Dion Jordan at #1 overall over one of the OT's - Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network
2. The Dolphins are looking to trade up to land one of the Top 3 OT's, the thought it the target is Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson - Multiple Dolphins Beat Writers
3. The Browns are looking at Tavon Austin really hard -Multiple analysts
4. Bucs are looking at moving 3 or 4 picks for Jets CB Darrell Revis but that trade would take place pre-draft - Tony Pauline
5. Carolina is going DT early on - Tony Pauline
6. CB Jamar Taylor (Boise St) may sneak into Round 1 - Multiple analysts

Musings-
1. This talk of Eric Fisher > Luke Joeckel is bunk
2. I think Geno Smith goes either at 2 to Jacksonville or at 8 to Buffalo (Sorry YR)
3. I dont think the Bills will sit with 6 picks, I think they will make a move
4. Three first round QB's this year (Nassib, & Manuel fall to Round 2)
5. Top 10 goes: QB-1, WR-1, OT-3, DE-1, DT-2, OLB-1, CB-1
6. Friday night is when you'll know how good any team will be next year, should be able to get starters well into Round 3
7. I expect A LOT of trades, targets like Milliner, Lane Johnson, Kenny Vaccaro, and a falling QB could all be targets
8. Jarvis Jones is going to go sub 20
9. Bjoern Werner is going fall out of the Top 10 and be a steal

Feel free to add your own.

coastal
04-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Our first pick will be Matt Barkley. Our second pick will be the best of remaining WRs. Our third pick will be a guard.

YardRat
04-10-2013, 06:48 AM
I think there will be a lot of trades also.

YardRat
04-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Our first pick will be Matt Barkley. Our second pick will be the best of remaining WRs. Our third pick will be a guard.

I'd be surprised if we went offense with first three picks.

DraftBoy
04-10-2013, 07:54 AM
I'd be surprised if we went offense with first three picks.

Based on what Im thinking I'd almost bet we don't.

TigerJ
04-10-2013, 07:59 AM
If Geno Smith is drafted in the top 7 or Buffalo is not convinced he is head and shoulders the best QB in the draft for them, the Bills will be elated if they have the opportunity to trade down.

Mahdi
04-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Bills will not go QB in Round 1 because no team after the 9th pick (JETS) will select a QB in the first 2 rounds.

Basically we will have our pick of 3-4 QBs in round 2 if we just sit and wait.

The Jokeman
04-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Bills will not go QB in Round 1 because no team after the 9th pick (JETS) will select a QB in the first 2 rounds.

Basically we will have our pick of 3-4 QBs in round 2 if we just sit and wait.

I don't see the Jets taking a QB in the 1st, they have as many holes, if not more than the Bills do and say what you want but Rex Ryan was able to win with Sanchez when he had more talent around him as a result think they go QB later than sooner. I agree Round 2 is a better idea for a QB only because I feel QBs are made and not born.

If some of these rumors are true about teams wanting to tradeup to pick 8 I'm all for it as it allow the Bills to acquire more picks and still get a quality prospect to fill another need outside of QB. See WR or LB or OG.

ThunderGun
04-10-2013, 10:07 AM

I don't know...remember when Aaron Rodgers fell, and the Packers took him, even though they still had Favre? If a team has an aging QB, and they really like a QB prospect, they shouldn't hesitate to take them if they fall to them in the late-1st.

If Geno/Barkley both slip past the Jets at 9 (unlikely), I could see the following teams potentially looking long and hard at either one of them:

11 Chargers (the new coaching staff is supposedly giving Rivers 1 year to prove himself. Maybe they'll decide Geno is too hard to pass up)
13 Buccaneers (the new coach has pretty much refused to endorse Freeman, for some reason. He keeps saying that he wants to bring in competition, but they haven't signed any
17 Steelers (unlikely, but Ben is 31, has 2 years left on his contract after this season, and is due $12 million a year. Maybe they draft Geno and try to trade or cut Ben after 2013)
20 Bears (Cutler is entering the final year of his contract, and says he does not expect an extension before the season)
23 Vikings (Ponder sucks)
25 Vikings (from Seahawks) (Ponder still sucks)
27 Texans (Schaub sucks too. He is a glorified game-manager, and he is holding the team back. Doesn't do enough to win games).
28 Broncos (unlikely, but when the 2014 season ends, Peyton will be 39, and have 2 years/$40 million left on his contract)

I wouldn't be shocked if any of these teams (except maybe Pittsburgh), draft Geno (or maybe even Barkley...even though I'm not high on him) if he is available. Additionally, the Jets, Jags and Cardinals all pick before us in the 2nd.

I'm not necessarily advocating taking a QB at 8. If Geno falls to us there, I'm ok with taking him, I guess. I'm not thrilled, but it makes sense. I wouldn't want any of the other QB's at 8. But I also wouldn't assume that the guy we want will still be there in the 2nd.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't know...remember when Aaron Rodgers fell, and the Packers took him, even though they still had Favre? If a team has an aging QB, and they really like a QB prospect, they shouldn't hesitate to take them if they fall to them in the late-1st.

If Geno/Barkley both slip past the Jets at 9 (unlikely), I could see the following teams potentially looking long and hard at either one of them:

11 Chargers (the new coaching staff is supposedly giving Rivers 1 year to prove himself. Maybe they'll decide Geno is too hard to pass up)
13 Buccaneers (the new coach has pretty much refused to endorse Freeman, for some reason. He keeps saying that he wants to bring in competition, but they haven't signed any
17 Steelers (unlikely, but Ben is 31, has 2 years left on his contract after this season, and is due $12 million a year. Maybe they draft Geno and try to trade or cut Ben after 2013)
20 Bears (Cutler is entering the final year of his contract, and says he does not expect an extension before the season)
27 Texans (Schaub sucks too. He is a glorified game-manager, and he is holding the team back. Doesn't do enough to win games).
28 Broncos (unlikely, but when the 2014 season ends, Peyton will be 39, and have 2 years/$40 million left on his contract)

I wouldn't be shocked if any of these teams (except maybe Pittsburgh), draft Geno (or maybe even Barkley...even though I'm not high on him) if he is available. Additionally, the Jets, Jags and Cardinals all pick before us in the 2nd.

I'm not necessarily advocating taking a QB at 8. If Geno falls to us there, I'm ok with taking him, I guess. I'm not thrilled, but it makes sense. I wouldn't want any of the other QB's at 8. But I also wouldn't assume that the guy we want will still be there in the 2nd.

The Broncos took Oswelier in the second last year and their championship window is very narrow. I would be completely and utterly stunned if they went QB again. Agree with the rest of your post though.

Mahdi
04-10-2013, 11:14 AM

11. Chargers will not draft a QB in the first 2 rounds. They know they have a franchise QB and they will use their early picks to build around him not replace him. They will look for a OT and a WR, they also badly need a pass rusher. No way they are taking a QB early.

13. The Bucs would have to be 1000% convinced that a QB in this draft is significantly better than Freeman before they spend a 1st or 2nd on him. And with all the questions surrounding this QB class I highly doubt they feel one of them is that much better than Freeman. The logical thing to do here would be to continue building their team around Freeman.

17. Steelers have so many needs right now and they definitely have a QB they can win a SB with. They need CBs, pass rushers and OTs and there is no way they sacrifice supporting Ben with a player they need to instead look for a replacement. Because drafting a QB in round 1 or 2 is a replacement or a competition. They could add depth to the QB spot but that would be in the later rounds. So take the Steelers off.

20. The Bears are the dark horse. Cutler has been up and down, however, they have a veteran team, a small window to win and if they add a few strong pieces around Cutler they can win now. They will look to add a playmaking TE and another WR as well as an OL before they add a QB. If they do go QB I could see one added in round 3 or 4.

Vikings -- Goes back to the same Freeman argument -- They will have to be convinced any of these QBs are better than Ponder. And Ponder has not been bad and I think he will get better. This is a team looking to build around their young QB not make a risky pick on another young QB that may or may not be better than Ponder. I think they go WR with one pick and CB with the other.

Texans -- If I'm the GM I use the pick to make a SB run. What does adding another QB do for my chances to win now? Nothing except waste the pick when I could be adding a critical piece. The Texans are looking at guys like DeAndre Hopkins and Keenan Allen to put opposite Johnson or a pass rusher depending on who falls.

Broncos -- First of all they are in win now mode. They probably want secondary help or a playmaking TE. Second, they drafted Osweiler and they have a high opinion of him.

To summarize, I would be incredibly shocked if any of these teams took a QB in Round 1 and even in Round 2.

trapezeus
04-10-2013, 11:18 AM
ponder strikes me as a brees-esque guy. he hasn't had all the breaks early and been in and out of lineup. if the game slows down for him this year and he survives a year back there, i think he could be servicable.

i'm not saying he'll be brees. i'm just saying he strikes me as a cerebral player and might just be going through growing pains. i wouldn't want to part from him just yet and take a first rounder ahead of him. if he blows again, you'll get a high pick next year.

Mr. Pink
04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
In the Kings draft prediction thread, I said Austin to Cleveland.

It's been talked about for weeks now.

It's either major smoke screen or he's their pick.

Vikings are the only team outside of the top 10 who will take a QB in Rd 1.

Bangarang
04-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Patterson could fall out of the first round.

A league source tells The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein that Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson could fall out of the first round.
NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah is hearing the same thing. At 6-foot-2, 216 pounds with 4.42 wheels, Patterson is a freak athlete, but a raw route runner. He's also been nicked for his tendency to "body catch," though he didn't struggle with drops in college. Patterson was reportedly "very unimpressive" in his Combine interviews. Patterson has legitimate question marks, but he could end up one of the steals of the draft if he falls to day two.

don137
04-10-2013, 02:02 PM
If Jets trade Revis to the Bucs I could see them taking a QB with either #9 or #13.

superbills
04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
So, what the Vikings need to do is trade us their two firsts for our first to get their guy :) Seems like a solid plan!

BillsFever21
04-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Teams don't draft QB's in the first round anymore with expectations of them sitting on the bench for a few years. There is no way the Steelers take one in the first round and it's not like 31 years old is ancient in QB years. I could see them maybe taking one in the 3rd round if a quality one they like falls that far or at the very least to fill their backup role with a possibility of starting later on down the road. Leftwich just doesn't cut it for them as he can't stay healthy himself.

I doubt the Broncos would this year after just using a 2nd round pick on a QB. If they don't feel Osweiler is the answer then they may go down that road next year but they didn't spend all that money on Manning to use their 1st round pick on a QB this year. They will be trying to get an impact player to help them get to the SB.

The Texans I could see taking one and they are also my sleeper team I mentioned before. Schaub is alright only because he's in a QB friendly system and he has trouble staying healthy himself. If they like one of the guys in the 20's they might not hesitate to find his replacement for 2014 or maybe even 2013 if he ended up playing well due to Schaub getting injured yet again. If they don't take one in the 1st then the 2nd or 3rd round is a good possibility.

I don't see the Vikings taking a QB in the 1st round two years after drafting Ponder. He hasn't been very good but they did make the playoffs with him. I doubt they would be ready to give up on him that soon.

The Bucs won't be taking one in the 1st round. They are still unsure about Freeman due to his inconsistency at times but I doubt they would use a pick that early and may not even have one if they trade for Revis. If they don't want him I'd be more then happy to take him off their hands.

The Chargers or the Bears are a possibility since they have a new HC and/or people running the show. The Chargers would be the most likely team if Smith fell or if they liked the upside of Barkley or one of the other guys. If they did choose to go that route and give Rivers some competition I could see the 2nd round as a more likely scenario if one of the top several QB's slipped to them.

BillsFever21
04-10-2013, 03:17 PM
If Jets trade Revis to the Bucs I could see them taking a QB with either #9 or #13.

If they make that trade I think it's almost a done deal that they would take a QB with one of them picks if there wasn't an early run on them. If there was one they really liked they could easily trade up a few spots and make sure they got him and it wouldn't cost much more then a 3rd round pick to move up a few spots from their #9 pick. Sanchez is terrible and with a 2nd pick that close to each other they would be crazy not to give it a shot especially if there wasn't any or only one QB off the board at that time.

Ed
04-10-2013, 05:24 PM
It sounds like there could definitely be some opportunities for the Bills to trade down. Personally I'd like to see them trade down multiple times in the first if possible to acquire as many 2nd - 4th round picks as possible.

BillsFever21
04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
It sounds like there could definitely be some opportunities for the Bills to trade down. Personally I'd like to see them trade down multiple times in the first if possible to acquire as many 2nd - 4th round picks as possible.

Trading down multiple times might be a pipe dream but I'd be happy with being able to trade down once. Depending on how far we traded down we could pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round draft pick which would definitely come in handy this year. In a perfect scenario we could trade down somewhere in teens and pick up an extra 2nd round draft pick and select a QB with that pick. Then in the 2nd round pick up a LB with one of the picks and go BPA between LB and WR for the other 2nd round pick along with our 3rd round pick.

X-Era
04-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Basically we will have our pick of 3-4 QBs in round 2 if we just sit and wait.How did you come to this conclusion?

I agree that after the 9th pick the QB's will fall. But one of two things will happen. 1) A team will move into late 1 for their choice of the remaining QB's or 2) There will be a run on QB's at the top of round 2 and before the Bills pick.

You think the QB needy teams that pass on a QB in round 1 before the Bills pick at 8 but whom think this crop has lots of 2nd rounders will then pass on a QB again in the 2nd round?

I don't see that.

I think anywhere from 1 to 3 QB's could be drafted by pick 10 in the first round and another 3 to 5 for a total of 6 will be gone before our 2nd rounder.

fluteflakes
04-11-2013, 01:25 AM
Texans will take E.J. Manuel as a high upside pick and allow him to sit and learn behind Schaub for a season.

Pats will trade back, not because of "Belichick's draft genius" but because they only have 4 picks and suffer from a major deficit of defensive talent.

Bills will go QB or WR at #8, all the prospects we've brought in support that notion, but da **** do I know.

Chargers will trade up for Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson.

Leslie Frasier keeps faith in Ponder, goes BPA or trades back one of his two first rounders.

There will be 3-4 first round QB's. Everybody says how bad this class is but teams will pick up signals callers either for the now or for the future, expect a similar run on them in the 2nd.

Matt Barkley will slide into the latter half of day 2.

Keenan Allen will be the first WR off the board. Patterson's massive mental issues (he's pretty much the dullest crayon in the box) will drop him like a rock, someone will get a Randy Moss esq steal.

DraftBoy
04-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Texans will take E.J. Manuel as a high upside pick and allow him to sit and learn behind Schaub for a season.

Would say this is possible if Kubiak wasn't still there, they are high on TJ Yates already who has a playoff victory.

Pats will trade back, not because of "Belichick's draft genius" but because they only have 4 picks and suffer from a major deficit of defensive talent.

Yes they will, only two picks before Round 7 if Sanders offer sheet goes through

Bills will go QB or WR at #8, all the prospects we've brought in support that notion, but da **** do I know.

Too early to assume

Chargers will trade up for Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson.

They or Miami, its a race to see who can get higher

Leslie Frasier keeps faith in Ponder, goes BPA or trades back one of his two first rounders.

They will go D and WR

There will be 3-4 first round QB's. Everybody says how bad this class is but teams will pick up signals callers either for the now or for the future, expect a similar run on them in the 2nd.

I just don't see more than 3 at this point, maybe only 2.

Matt Barkley will slide into the latter half of day 2.
If he gets out of the Top 15 somebody is going to move up, I don't think he's there around 45.

Keenan Allen will be the first WR off the board. Patterson's massive mental issues (he's pretty much the dullest crayon in the box) will drop him like a rock, someone will get a Randy Moss esq steal.

Can we finally get past trying to call players stupid?

kingJofNYC
04-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Tavarres King will be a Bill.

Mahdi
04-11-2013, 08:25 AM
How did you come to this conclusion?

I agree that after the 9th pick the QB's will fall. But one of two things will happen. 1) A team will move into late 1 for their choice of the remaining QB's or 2) There will be a run on QB's at the top of round 2 and before the Bills pick.

You think the QB needy teams that pass on a QB in round 1 before the Bills pick at 8 but whom think this crop has lots of 2nd rounders will then pass on a QB again in the 2nd round?

I don't see that.

I think anywhere from 1 to 3 QB's could be drafted by pick 10 in the first round and another 3 to 5 for a total of 6 will be gone before our 2nd rounder.

That's why I said no team after the Jets will pick a QB in the first 2 rounds. The top of the first round before us will be where one or two teams grab a QB, maybe more.

So ya, yer right that we could be stuck without a QB in Rd. 2 if we wait.

The major problem is the Jets. They pick before us in Rd. 2, as do the Jags, Eagles and Cards.

Starting to think the Bills force feed themselves a QB at 8. And right now, I think there is heavy debate between Nassib and Barkley.

Ed
04-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Trading down multiple times might be a pipe dream but I'd be happy with being able to trade down once. Depending on how far we traded down we could pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round draft pick which would definitely come in handy this year. In a perfect scenario we could trade down somewhere in teens and pick up an extra 2nd round draft pick and select a QB with that pick. Then in the 2nd round pick up a LB with one of the picks and go BPA between LB and WR for the other 2nd round pick along with our 3rd round pick.
Yeah I'm certainly not expecting the Bills to trade down multiple times, but that would be the ideal scenario for me, and I don't think it's impossible. I actually really like our chances of trading down this year a lot. I think SD and Miami are ideal candidates to move up from 11 or 12 to grab one of the top 3 OT's. Then you've got Dallas who always seems willing to trade up and are rumored to be interested in moving up for the top S. Then you've got SF who has too many picks and not enough roster spots. They're likely to make a move too. So who knows, maybe the Bills can pull off a couple trades in the first. That would be sweet.

fluteflakes
04-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Would say this is possible if Kubiak wasn't still there, they are high on TJ Yates already who has a playoff victory.

True, but I'm really not high on Yates, he looked mediocre at best during his short stint as spot starter. Kubiak should (but he wont) see that he does lack talent at the QB position and needs to at least get someone who can compete with Schaub next season. But they also need secondary help with their lack of depth at corner, or a linebacker to supplement Cushing.

Too early to assume

It's just me musing about it. We could just as well go LBer.

They will go D and WR

If Tavon Austin is still sitting there he'd be the perfect compliment to Jennings. Think they go for Xavier Rhodes with the SEA pick.

I just don't see more than 3 at this point, maybe only 2.

I'm a believer that some team will reach for a guy. And that one of these teams picking in the top ten will trade back up into the first to snag a guy in fear of him not falling to them.

If he gets out of the Top 15 somebody is going to move up, I don't think he's there around 45.

Just not a fan of his physical skill set. This comparison is going to sound ridiculous but to me he seems like Andy Dalton if you took away all the things that make Dalton successful. Athleticism, the snap quick release, and the pedigree of winning that Dalton had and has. But he very well could surprise me and succeed and I hope he does.

Can we finally get past trying to call players stupid?

I'm not calling him stupid. But it's been reported that he wouldn't have been able to remain academically eligible at Tenn. And that, as cited on the previous page, he doesn't have good whiteboard ability.

I think he might struggle with play recognition and the mental speed of the game, but I sure as hell don't think he's stupid. Stupid is someone like Alfonzo Denarrd who gets liquored up and punches a cop. I just think Patterson's academic history and lack of perceived mental acumen can and will scare away a lot of teams in the first round.

Bert102176
04-12-2013, 02:07 AM
True, but I'm really not high on Yates, he looked mediocre at best during his short stint as spot starter. Kubiak should (but he wont) see that he does lack talent at the QB position and needs to at least get someone who can compete with Schaub next season. But they also need secondary help with their lack of depth at corner, or a linebacker to supplement Cushing.

It's just me musing about it. We could just as well go LBer.

If Tavon Austin is still sitting there he'd be the perfect compliment to Jennings. Think they go for Xavier Rhodes with the SEA pick.

I'm a believer that some team will reach for a guy. And that one of these teams picking in the top ten will trade back up into the first to snag a guy in fear of him not falling to them.

Just not a fan of his physical skill set. This comparison is going to sound ridiculous but to me he seems like Andy Dalton if you took away all the things that make Dalton successful. Athleticism, the snap quick release, and the pedigree of winning that Dalton had and has. But he very well could surprise me and succeed and I hope he does.

I'm not calling him stupid. But it's been reported that he wouldn't have been able to remain academically eligible at Tenn. And that, as cited on the previous page, he doesn't have good whiteboard ability.

I think he might struggle with play recognition and the mental speed of the game, but I sure as hell don't think he's stupid. Stupid is someone like Alfonzo Denarrd who gets liquored up and punches a cop. I just think Patterson's academic history and lack of perceived mental acumen can and will scare away a lot of teams in the first round.

Because your not high on him doesn't mean crap, it's the coaches and manager and owner that matters if they are high on him.

clumping platelets
04-12-2013, 02:11 AM
QB at #8 would be a mistake

fluteflakes
04-12-2013, 02:19 AM
Because your not high on him doesn't mean crap, it's the coaches and manager and owner that matters if they are high on him.

WOW. Thank you. I mean, it's not as if the ENTIRE point of this thread is to provide our own opinions and musings about the draft and the prospects in it. And what I think each team will do based on what I think.

If NFL FO's are high on him, that's fine. I don't think he's talented, that's my opinion. It might not matter but the whole POINT of this forum is to give opinions on things that we have no real say about. I mean are you pointing out that DraftBoy's or X-Era's or anybody else's opinion doesn't mean crap because they aren't GM's or FO guys?

No? Then why bother pointing out my opinion on it?

justasportsfan
04-12-2013, 12:40 PM
latest rumor is that the bills are using their first pick for this guy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ziskQnL4wGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fluteflakes
04-12-2013, 12:44 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ziskQnL4wGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Lions signed him already.

GingerP
04-12-2013, 12:46 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ziskQnL4wGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They can't.

He isn't draft-eligible and he already signed a contract with the Lions.