• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

NFL Draft Musings/Rumors

I haven't had a ton of time to sit down and write for BBD but here are some things I've seen/heard and some of my own thoughts. These are strictly RUMORS that are flying around, there is little to do with Buffalo, and I'll post the sources of those that are rumors;

Rumors-
    1. The Chiefs are current leaning towards taking Oregon OLB Dion Jordan at #1 overall over one of the OT's - Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network
    2. The Dolphins are looking to trade up to land one of the Top 3 OT's, the thought it the target is Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson - Multiple Dolphins Beat Writers
    3. The Browns are looking at Tavon Austin really hard -Multiple analysts
    4. Bucs are looking at moving 3 or 4 picks for Jets CB Darrell Revis but that trade would take place pre-draft - Tony Pauline
    5. Carolina is going DT early on - Tony Pauline
    6. CB Jamar Taylor (Boise St) may sneak into Round 1 - Multiple analysts

Musings-
    1. This talk of Eric Fisher > Luke Joeckel is bunk
    2. I think Geno Smith goes either at 2 to Jacksonville or at 8 to Buffalo (Sorry YR)
    3. I dont think the Bills will sit with 6 picks, I think they will make a move
    4. Three first round QB's this year (Nassib, & Manuel fall to Round 2)
    5. Top 10 goes: QB-1, WR-1, OT-3, DE-1, DT-2, OLB-1, CB-1
    6. Friday night is when you'll know how good any team will be next year, should be able to get starters well into Round 3
    7. I expect A LOT of trades, targets like Milliner, Lane Johnson, Kenny Vaccaro, and a falling QB could all be targets
    8. Jarvis Jones is going to go sub 20
    9. Bjoern Werner is going fall out of the Top 10 and be a steal

Feel free to add your own.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: NFL Draft Musings/Rumors

Our first pick will be Matt Barkley. Our second pick will be the best of remaining WRs. Our third pick will be a guard.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I think there will be a lot of trades also.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by coastal View Post
        Our first pick will be Matt Barkley. Our second pick will be the best of remaining WRs. Our third pick will be a guard.
        I'd be surprised if we went offense with first three picks.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          I'd be surprised if we went offense with first three picks.
          Based on what Im thinking I'd almost bet we don't.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

If Geno Smith is drafted in the top 7 or Buffalo is not convinced he is head and shoulders the best QB in the draft for them, the Bills will be elated if they have the opportunity to trade down.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Bills will not go QB in Round 1 because no team after the 9th pick (JETS) will select a QB in the first 2 rounds.

Basically we will have our pick of 3-4 QBs in round 2 if we just sit and wait.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                Bills will not go QB in Round 1 because no team after the 9th pick (JETS) will select a QB in the first 2 rounds.

Basically we will have our pick of 3-4 QBs in round 2 if we just sit and wait.
                I don't see the Jets taking a QB in the 1st, they have as many holes, if not more than the Bills do and say what you want but Rex Ryan was able to win with Sanchez when he had more talent around him as a result think they go QB later than sooner. I agree Round 2 is a better idea for a QB only because I feel QBs are made and not born.

If some of these rumors are true about teams wanting to tradeup to pick 8 I'm all for it as it allow the Bills to acquire more picks and still get a quality prospect to fill another need outside of QB. See WR or LB or OG.
                Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-10-2013, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• ThunderGun
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                  I don't know...remember when Aaron Rodgers fell, and the Packers took him, even though they still had Favre? If a team has an aging QB, and they really like a QB prospect, they shouldn't hesitate to take them if they fall to them in the late-1st.

If Geno/Barkley both slip past the Jets at 9 (unlikely), I could see the following teams potentially looking long and hard at either one of them:

11 Chargers (the new coaching staff is supposedly giving Rivers 1 year to prove himself. Maybe they'll decide Geno is too hard to pass up)
                  13 Buccaneers (the new coach has pretty much refused to endorse Freeman, for some reason. He keeps saying that he wants to bring in competition, but they haven't signed any
                  17 Steelers (unlikely, but Ben is 31, has 2 years left on his contract after this season, and is due $12 million a year. Maybe they draft Geno and try to trade or cut Ben after 2013)
                  20 Bears (Cutler is entering the final year of his contract, and says he does not expect an extension before the season)
                  23 Vikings (Ponder sucks)
                  25 Vikings (from Seahawks) (Ponder still sucks)
                  27 Texans (Schaub sucks too. He is a glorified game-manager, and he is holding the team back. Doesn't do enough to win games).
                  28 Broncos (unlikely, but when the 2014 season ends, Peyton will be 39, and have 2 years/$40 million left on his contract)

I wouldn't be shocked if any of these teams (except maybe Pittsburgh), draft Geno (or maybe even Barkley...even though I'm not high on him) if he is available. Additionally, the Jets, Jags and Cardinals all pick before us in the 2nd.

I'm not necessarily advocating taking a QB at 8. If Geno falls to us there, I'm ok with taking him, I guess. I'm not thrilled, but it makes sense. I wouldn't want any of the other QB's at 8. But I also wouldn't assume that the guy we want will still be there in the 2nd.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ThunderGun View Post
                    I don't know...remember when Aaron Rodgers fell, and the Packers took him, even though they still had Favre? If a team has an aging QB, and they really like a QB prospect, they shouldn't hesitate to take them if they fall to them in the late-1st.

If Geno/Barkley both slip past the Jets at 9 (unlikely), I could see the following teams potentially looking long and hard at either one of them:

11 Chargers (the new coaching staff is supposedly giving Rivers 1 year to prove himself. Maybe they'll decide Geno is too hard to pass up)
                    13 Buccaneers (the new coach has pretty much refused to endorse Freeman, for some reason. He keeps saying that he wants to bring in competition, but they haven't signed any
                    17 Steelers (unlikely, but Ben is 31, has 2 years left on his contract after this season, and is due $12 million a year. Maybe they draft Geno and try to trade or cut Ben after 2013)
                    20 Bears (Cutler is entering the final year of his contract, and says he does not expect an extension before the season)
                    27 Texans (Schaub sucks too. He is a glorified game-manager, and he is holding the team back. Doesn't do enough to win games).
                    28 Broncos (unlikely, but when the 2014 season ends, Peyton will be 39, and have 2 years/$40 million left on his contract)

I wouldn't be shocked if any of these teams (except maybe Pittsburgh), draft Geno (or maybe even Barkley...even though I'm not high on him) if he is available. Additionally, the Jets, Jags and Cardinals all pick before us in the 2nd.

I'm not necessarily advocating taking a QB at 8. If Geno falls to us there, I'm ok with taking him, I guess. I'm not thrilled, but it makes sense. I wouldn't want any of the other QB's at 8. But I also wouldn't assume that the guy we want will still be there in the 2nd.
                    The Broncos took Oswelier in the second last year and their championship window is very narrow. I would be completely and utterly stunned if they went QB again. Agree with the rest of your post though.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ThunderGun View Post

11. Chargers will not draft a QB in the first 2 rounds. They know they have a franchise QB and they will use their early picks to build around him not replace him. They will look for a OT and a WR, they also badly need a pass rusher. No way they are taking a QB early.

13. The Bucs would have to be 1000% convinced that a QB in this draft is significantly better than Freeman before they spend a 1st or 2nd on him. And with all the questions surrounding this QB class I highly doubt they feel one of them is that much better than Freeman. The logical thing to do here would be to continue building their team around Freeman.

17. Steelers have so many needs right now and they definitely have a QB they can win a SB with. They need CBs, pass rushers and OTs and there is no way they sacrifice supporting Ben with a player they need to instead look for a replacement. Because drafting a QB in round 1 or 2 is a replacement or a competition. They could add depth to the QB spot but that would be in the later rounds. So take the Steelers off.

20. The Bears are the dark horse. Cutler has been up and down, however, they have a veteran team, a small window to win and if they add a few strong pieces around Cutler they can win now. They will look to add a playmaking TE and another WR as well as an OL before they add a QB. If they do go QB I could see one added in round 3 or 4.

Vikings -- Goes back to the same Freeman argument -- They will have to be convinced any of these QBs are better than Ponder. And Ponder has not been bad and I think he will get better. This is a team looking to build around their young QB not make a risky pick on another young QB that may or may not be better than Ponder. I think they go WR with one pick and CB with the other.

Texans -- If I'm the GM I use the pick to make a SB run. What does adding another QB do for my chances to win now? Nothing except waste the pick when I could be adding a critical piece. The Texans are looking at guys like DeAndre Hopkins and Keenan Allen to put opposite Johnson or a pass rusher depending on who falls.

Broncos -- First of all they are in win now mode. They probably want secondary help or a playmaking TE. Second, they drafted Osweiler and they have a high opinion of him.

To summarize, I would be incredibly shocked if any of these teams took a QB in Round 1 and even in Round 2.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

ponder strikes me as a brees-esque guy. he hasn't had all the breaks early and been in and out of lineup. if the game slows down for him this year and he survives a year back there, i think he could be servicable.

i'm not saying he'll be brees. i'm just saying he strikes me as a cerebral player and might just be going through growing pains. i wouldn't want to part from him just yet and take a first rounder ahead of him. if he blows again, you'll get a high pick next year.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

In the Kings draft prediction thread, I said Austin to Cleveland.

It's been talked about for weeks now.

It's either major smoke screen or he's their pick.

Vikings are the only team outside of the top 10 who will take a QB in Rd 1.
                          Last edited by Mr. Pink; 04-10-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Bangarang
                            • Sep 2010

Patterson could fall out of the first round.

A league source tells The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein that Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson could fall out of the first round.
                            NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah is hearing the same thing. At 6-foot-2, 216 pounds with 4.42 wheels, Patterson is a freak athlete, but a raw route runner. He's also been nicked for his tendency to "body catch," though he didn't struggle with drops in college. Patterson was reportedly "very unimpressive" in his Combine interviews. Patterson has legitimate question marks, but he could end up one of the steals of the draft if he falls to day two.

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

If Jets trade Revis to the Bucs I could see them taking a QB with either #9 or #13.

Comment

Working...
                              X