PDA

View Full Version : Patriots finally sign Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet.

The King
04-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Schefter just reported that the Patriots have signed PIT WR to Sanders to an offer sheer. I believe its a 2nd round pick on him.

EDS
04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
I think a third round pick is the compensation.

swiper
04-10-2013, 10:23 AM
So much for collusion, Mike Florio you jackass.

And it is a 3rd round compensation for Sanders.

GingerP
04-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Wow, that would only leave them with 4 picks (1,2,7,7) in the draft.

Sanders probably could be a 50+ catch receiver for them, but it seems risky. He has had injuries and they only offered him for 1-Year. Reportedly it isn't big money, so it will be interesting to see if Pittsburgh matches. I guess they protected themselves by signing Edelman as well, but still it is curious they only have 4 picks left in this draft, none in rounds 3 - 6 if Pittsburgh turns doesn't match.

Goobylal
04-10-2013, 12:30 PM
BFD.

better days
04-11-2013, 12:23 PM

Sanders probably could be a 50+ catch receiver for them, but it seems risky. He has had injuries and they only offered him for 1-Year. Reportedly it isn't big money, so it will be interesting to see if Pittsburgh matches. I guess they protected themselves by signing Edelman as well, but still it is curious they only have 4 picks left in this draft, none in rounds 3 - 6 if Pittsburgh turns doesn't match.

Well, if you call a WR that can't stay healthy protection, OK. I have more faith in Kolb staying healthy than Edleman myself.

Mski
04-11-2013, 12:34 PM

Sanders probably could be a 50+ catch receiver for them, but it seems risky. He has had injuries and they only offered him for 1-Year. Reportedly it isn't big money, so it will be interesting to see if Pittsburgh matches. I guess they protected themselves by signing Edelman as well, but still it is curious they only have 4 picks left in this draft, none in rounds 3 - 6 if Pittsburgh turns doesn't match.they can also extend him right after the steelers make their decision to match or not

stuckincincy
04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
they can also extend him right after the steelers make their decision to match or not

AFAIK, PGH is up against their cap as is. Not sure they can, or care, to match.

coastal
04-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Who has more grabs this year...

Sanders or TJ Graham?

Generalissimus Gibby
04-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Who has more grabs this year...

Sanders or TJ Graham?

This year? You mean this current football season? They're both tied in receptions at zero ya dumbass troll

stuckincincy
04-15-2013, 04:28 AM
PIT matched NE's offer:

Steelers match Patriots' $2.5 million offer for Emmanuel Sanders
By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer April 14, 2013 5:26 pm ET

..."Before the Patriots made their offer, Sanders would have counted $1.3 million against the Steelers' salary cap for 2013. Now, he'll cost nearly twice that much, and he'll still be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The Steelers could have let him go, and the Patriots would have had to give up a third-round draft pick in compensation. According to the latest report from the NFLPA (before this latest news), the Steelers are less than $2 million under the cap. It now appears they'll have to move around more money in order to pay its upcoming draft picks."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22072376/steelers-match-patriots-25-million-offer-for-emmanuel-sanders

ghz in pittsburgh
04-15-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm really surprised that the Steelers matched the offer. Almost everyone here is saying take the pick and run. To me the decision has Big Ben's choice written all over it. Believe me, even for the Steelers management, Roethlisberger has a lot of clout.

And to Mski's point of under the table deal that the Pats will extend him after the Steelers not to match. The CBA states that the Pats in this case would have to execute the contract as it is with no modification. It is there to protect teams playing game by offerring contracts other teams cannot match, yet restructure afterwords to something they can match.

So here is the scenario for Sanders had the Steelers not matching: if Sanders plays great in 2013, he may command more dollars looking else where since he proves he works well with different QBs and NE hasn't been a team giving big dollars to WRs like him; if he tanks, well you know what Belichick does to those guys ...

stuckincincy
04-15-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm really surprised that the Steelers matched the offer. Almost everyone here is saying take the pick and run. To me the decision has Big Ben's choice written all over it. Believe me, even for the Steelers management, Roethlisberger has a lot of clout.

And to Mski's point of under the table deal that the Pats will extend him after the Steelers not to match. The CBA states that the Pats in this case would have to execute the contract as it is with no modification. It is there to protect teams playing game by offerring contracts other teams cannot match, yet restructure afterwords to something they can match.

So here is the scenario for Sanders had the Steelers not matching: if Sanders plays great in 2013, he may command more dollars looking else where since he proves he works well with different QBs and NE hasn't been a team giving big dollars to WRs like him; if he tanks, well you know what Belichick does to those guys ...

Me too. And I'm sure you're right about Ben R.

I remember last season, Sanders pulling a fake injury against CIN to stop the clock. IIRC, he and PGH got a fine for that.

Harrison's here in Cincy for a try-out. Knowing owner Brown's proclivities, he'll probably be inked.

Mski
04-15-2013, 09:44 AM
i thought that sounded unlikely, but i read on multiple twitters that it was allowed. makes sense that it isnt, but wouldnt suprise me if a team like the pats would be the ones to try that.

GingerP
04-15-2013, 10:10 AM
i thought that sounded unlikely, but i read on multiple twitters that it was allowed. makes sense that it isnt, but wouldnt suprise me if a team like the pats would be the ones to try that.

It is allowed as long as his first-year cap number is not lower than the offer. If signed to an extension he has to have a 2013 cap number of $2.5M or higher, since that was the offer. That is true even if Pittsburgh signs him to an extension now.

CleveSteve
04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Belichick just trolling Pitt's cap.

stuckincincy
04-16-2013, 05:54 AM
Belichick just trolling Pitt's cap.

Yep. What a shame... :handball:

coastal
04-16-2013, 06:09 AM
This year? You mean this current football season? They're both tied in receptions at zero ya dumbass troll
Where's your diploma spinner of untruths!