PDA

View Full Version : Who should be safe after this year?

Cali512
04-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Now i know we have no superstar on our team, but whats your list of players that youd realistically wanna keep around uness a major offer happens

For me its just the young guys and Ott, along with Foligno and Ennis should stay, Foligno should be a 3rd-4th liner tho.

So

Ott
Porter
Sulzer (our best offensive D man)
Flynn
Ennis
Foligno
Hodgson
Ehroff
Pardy
Gerbe (i think a good coach could make him very good)
Webber

Webber should be a top line D man by now. Hes our most consistant and he plays like hes from the 70s. Pardy, Porter, and Flynn have surprised me alot this year and i think they deserve a shot.

Vanek and Stafford should be gone

Teams are set like this, PF, C, Shooter.

PFs- Ott, Foligno, Kaleta, _____
Shooters/snipers- Flynn, Gerbe can at times, ______, _______
C/playmaker- Porter, Ennis, Hodgson, _______

We need a couple snipers, players to set up for shots. Flynn is probably more of a PF, but has a good shot, Porter can also be a sniper, but we use him as a center so much. We need 1 more playmaker also, and another top PF. A big from of the net presence. Ott, Foligno, and Kaleta is not enough. Foligno and Kaleta will be 3rd-4th liners anyways.

Mski
04-10-2013, 01:06 PM
guys that should(on current roster) be safe is a short list:

CoHo
Vanek
Ott
Myers
Erhof
Foligno
Porter - but i'd be willing to move him for the right return

- - - Updated - - -

so six maybe 7 guys

gebobs
04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
No one is safe, but here's who I would want to keep...

Vanek...he's beat to hell and isn't the guy you want shouldering the load, but he is our best player.
Coho...RFA, best acquisition perhaps since Briere, huge upside, he should get $4M
Myers...gotta gotta hope he can bust out
Foligno...lot of upside, needs to play more like the power forward he should be
Sulzer...sure, why not, he's a bargain at $725k and deserves a hike
Ehrhoff...overpaid but too good to bury in Rochester
Flynn...RFA, no trade value, decent upside
Hackett...RFA, he's here and Enroth isn't just for the sake of change
Larsson...signed for 3 years, sure, why not
Pysyk...please be good

On the fence...

Miller...can't understand why he wasn't traded, great goalie but he's got to be fed up with the team in front of him
Ott...love the guy, but he's here only for his comment a few days ago, I'll forget it in a few days and he'll be back above
Leino...only choice is to send him off to the AHL
Adam...RFA, no trade value, little upside
Scott...UFA, someone will grab him and it won't take much
Pardy...UFA, replaceable
Weber...RFA, not sure if he has anything left to show
Enroth...RFA
Stafford...two years left on his contract, he's not going anywhere
Ennis...small but who's going to get on the scoreboard if he'd gone
Gerbe...nice spirit, but spirit only goes so far, one year left on the contract, he's borderline NHL material
Porter...meh, see what he brings next year
Sekera...decent defenseman, zero upside
McCormick...how you like Rochachacha?
Kaleta...needs a pay cut

Gone...

Hecht...UFA, see ya

OpIv37
04-10-2013, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to moving Vanek but I'll be shocked if it happens. If we do move him I hope he goes out west somewhere- I think he could be dangerous as long as he's on a team where someone else can be the #1 guy.

We absolutely have to buy out Leino and find a way to unload Stafford.

I could go either way on Miller. We don't have a goalie in the organization anywhere near as good as him, but he seems like he needs a change of scenery and he's also going to bring in a bigger return than anyone else on the roster.

whkfc
04-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Leino can be bought out. He doesn't have to be hurried in the AHL. And I don't believe the salary can be hid in the AHL.

swiper
04-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Why does everybody want to keep Foligno. He's just not very good.

Cali512
04-10-2013, 06:13 PM

With the right people yes he is. Hes off to a better start in his career than most sabres in recent history.

Crisis
04-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Man if the fans were in charge of things 95% of young players would never amount to anything

mightysimi
04-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Leino can be bought out. He doesn't have to be hurried in the AHL. And I don't believe the salary can be hid in the AHL.
Right his whole salary minus 900K counts to the cap so no sense putting him down there.

trapezeus
04-11-2013, 07:16 AM
either get vanek a center who is good defensively and an assist machine. let vanek play a one way game, or trade him to the west for some huge upside.

sabres are going to need a gritty center to make hodgson a little more valuable as a line two center.

i can part with anyone for the right return. they all kind of been unimpressive at times. and if a big turnover of personel happens to just get rid of the stink these guuys created, i'm for it.

YardRat
04-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Nobody

gebobs
04-11-2013, 10:12 AM

* His father was a fan favorite.
* He's a Buffalo native.
* 30 career points put him on pace for about 50 over a full season which would have been among the top 5 on the team last year.
* Decent upside.
* He's only 21 for cripesake.

OpIv37
04-11-2013, 10:20 AM
* His father was a fan favorite.
* He's a Buffalo native.
* 30 career points put him on pace for about 50 over a full season which would have been among the top 5 on the team last year.
* Decent upside.
* He's only 21 for cripesake.

All good points, but to me, it just means that the Sabres shouldn't be looking to move him or desperate to get rid of him. However, nothing there is so compelling that it makes him untouchable. I would move him for the right offer.

I think I'm with trap. There are some guys on this team that I definitely wouldn't be shopping, but at this point, no one has done anything to make me think they should be untouchable. 2013-14 is looking like a debacle, but I'm okay with that because it's a necessary evil to move on from this mess. The status quo would have meant being a bubble team fighting for the 8th seed every year, then losing in the first round if we actually make it.

gebobs
04-11-2013, 10:24 AM
All good points, but to me, it just means that the Sabres shouldn't be looking to move him or desperate to get rid of him. However, nothing there is so compelling that it makes him untouchable. I would move him for the right offer.
No one said anything about untouchable, just why they would want to keep him. Obviously, for the right offer, no one is untouchable. Not even Wayne Gretzky was untouchable.

I think I'm with trap. There are some guys on this team that I definitely wouldn't be shopping, but at this point, no one has done anything to make me think they should be untouchable. 2013-14 is looking like a debacle, but I'm okay with that because it's a necessary evil to move on from this mess. The status quo would have meant being a bubble team fighting for the 8th seed every year, then losing in the first round if we actually make it.
Concur.

SkateZilla
04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Coho, Should be re-signed, HUGE Future, and has gotten better since coming here (believe it or not).
Ott, If he's not on our team, we hate him, on our team he's friggen awesome.
Adam, Hopefully Rolston can salvage him, Another Decent Center behind CoHo.

Vanek, Aging, Injuries Piling up, Perhaps Moved to 2nd Line, Late Game and PP Situations
Foligno, 2nd Line Guy, Maybe play him with Vanek for a bit?
Leino, His NHL Days are over.
Scott, TBH I havent seen him Much, Maybe cut him loose to save the .01% of Capspace he takes.
Ennis, Fast and Good hands.
Gerbe, Fast... Other than that, he should be in Rochester.
Porter, Havent Seen enough of him, or Flynn.
Flynn, Same as Above.
Stafford, I really wish we could have sent him away, he's been a contract year player that's it.
McCormick, should never see the First Niagara Center Ice again.
Kaleta, Should be used less, Less is more for him, ice time and salary wise.
Hecht, Getting old, slow, and floats, let him retire and join Teppo, Grier, Drury, and the rest of the Retired Buffalo Club.

Myers, Hopefully he works on some stuff in off season and comes back a new player.
Sekera, At times he's good, and then at times he lets players stand in front without a challenge.
Weber, Was our Best Dman for most of the season when he started getting minutes.
Sulzer, was good when acquired, and steady before being injured.
Ehrhoff, Overpaid, maybe with a re-vamped PP he'd be alot better.
Pysyk, Decent Surprise
Pardy, Same as Above.

Miller, Getting up there in Age, Not wanting to go through another Re-Build.
Enroth, Perhaps Time to give him some more starts incase Miller goes elsewhere.

So, Who should Stay, Well, it'll be easier saying who should go..

Hecht, Scott, Stafford, and Leino
If we can get decent return for Miller, him too.

What we need:?
A New GM
A Top Teir Center (nothing Against Coho, but he's still young)
Some Coaching (not saying Rolston isnt doing a decent job)
A Special teams Coach (FOR PP AND PK, FOR CRIPES SAKE!)
Prospects, and Possible Surprise Players to make training camp interesting.

OpIv37
04-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Scott's a throwback. He's an old-skool goon: a guy that can't play hockey at an NHL level but will never back down from contact or a fight. Unfortunately, that's a dying breed in today's NHL.

I have no problem losing him. We just have to find someone else who is willing to fight. Kaleta, Ott and Foligno fight if they have to, but they never seem eager to do it.

Cali512
04-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Coho, Should be re-signed, HUGE Future, and has gotten better since coming here (believe it or not).
Ott, If he's not on our team, we hate him, on our team he's friggen awesome.
Adam, Hopefully Rolston can salvage him, Another Decent Center behind CoHo.

Vanek, Aging, Injuries Piling up, Perhaps Moved to 2nd Line, Late Game and PP Situations
Foligno, 2nd Line Guy, Maybe play him with Vanek for a bit? They wouldnt be good together. Both play the same position and the same style. They both go in the front of the net and get the majority of goals that way, so i couldnt see them being together. Do you really want Vanek or Foligno skating around with the puck? Because if ones not in front of the net the other one will have to handle the puck alot
Leino, His NHL Days are over.
Scott, TBH I havent seen him Much, Maybe cut him loose to save the .01% of Capspace he takes.
Ennis, Fast and Good hands. I was hoping him and Foligno could become a at least not as great version of Sid and Malkin
Gerbe, Fast... Other than that, he should be in Rochester.
Porter, Havent Seen enough of him, or Flynn. Porters good, even when he didnt score i wanted him for next year. He has alot of upside
Flynn, Same as Above.
Stafford, I really wish we could have sent him away, he's been a contract year player that's it.
McCormick, should never see the First Niagara Center Ice again.
Kaleta, Should be used less, Less is more for him, ice time and salary wise.
Hecht, Getting old, slow, and floats, let him retire and join Teppo, Grier, Drury, and the rest of the Retired Buffalo Club.

Myers, Hopefully he works on some stuff in off season and comes back a new player.
Sekera, At times he's good, and then at times he lets players stand in front without a challenge.
Weber, Was our Best Dman for most of the season when he started getting minutes.
Sulzer, was good when acquired, and steady before being injured.
Ehrhoff, Overpaid, maybe with a re-vamped PP he'd be alot better.
Pysyk, Decent Surprise
Pardy, Same as Above.

Miller, Getting up there in Age, Not wanting to go through another Re-Build.
Enroth, Perhaps Time to give him some more starts incase Miller goes elsewhere.

So, Who should Stay, Well, it'll be easier saying who should go..

Hecht, Scott, Stafford, and Leino
If we can get decent return for Miller, him too.

What we need:?
A New GM
A Top Teir Center (nothing Against Coho, but he's still young)
Some Coaching (not saying Rolston isnt doing a decent job)
A Special teams Coach (FOR PP AND PK, FOR CRIPES SAKE!)
Prospects, and Possible Surprise Players to make training camp interesting.

Cali512
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Scott's a throwback. He's an old-skool goon: a guy that can't play hockey at an NHL level but will never back down from contact or a fight. Unfortunately, that's a dying breed in today's NHL.

I have no problem losing him. We just have to find someone else who is willing to fight. Kaleta, Ott and Foligno fight if they have to, but they never seem eager to do it.

Kaletas on a ***** leash by Rolston. Rolston i dont think likes Kaleta at all. When Kaleta was with Ott and Scott on a line to start the season they all started so much **** on the ice. Actually any time Kaleta has been with Ott or Scott theres been alot of fights and physical play. But ever since Rolstons taken over Kaleta has been trying to play less physical, but you cant tell a physical player to not play physical. Its like telling Ott to quit talking and expecting him to be the same.

Mski
04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Kaletas on a ***** leash by Rolston. Rolston i dont think likes Kaleta at all. When Kaleta was with Ott and Scott on a line to start the season they all started so much **** on the ice. Actually any time Kaleta has been with Ott or Scott theres been alot of fights and physical play. But ever since Rolstons taken over Kaleta has been trying to play less physical, but you cant tell a physical player to not play physical. Its like telling Ott to quit talking and expecting him to be the same.i think thats part of it, i think his suspension also has had an effect on it too

PTI
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Kaleta is an unpredictable player with a bad reputation and very little actual hockey talent offensively.

Cali512
04-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Kaleta is an unpredictable player with a bad reputation and very little actual hockey talent offensively.

Kaleta is not a liability on O and is a very good defensive FW. He can pass ok and shoot decently. He has a bad reputation but thats the point of a instigator, and when hes not on this ***** leash Rolston seemed to make, he makes his presense felt

gebobs
04-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Kaleta is not a liability on O
Hello what?

and is a very good defensive FW.
Very good? No way. He's average at best.

He can pass ok and shoot decently.
No and no.