PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Sports and the Underdog: Bring on Kevin Kolb

Typ0
04-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Steve Ott is awesome. He tells it like it is. Listening to him talk about the fans and the booing brought something to light for me. Yes, WNY is as hungry for a title as anywhere ever. If/when it does happen it's going to be amazing. His comments brought about those feelings for me and tears in my eyes. With it came an epiphany why we still hunger without being fed. It has often been said "the game is 90% mental" and I believe this is true. Yes, talent has to be there ... but without the proper mentality you aren't going to make it to the promise land.

The Bills just signed a new QB who is here to win a championship. How many times have we heard this? It is always exciting ... and it ends up being hope the franchises are selling to the public. This whole hunger thing is attracting us the underdog. We have seen it time and again. The underdog wants to come in here and be the saint of WNY and a part of our championship run. The problem is the underdog is lacking in some areas on the talent side which makes him an underdog. And with that also comes an underdog mentality.

The underdog mentality is one of desperation to prove itself. This mind set gets haphazard and permeates the soul and culture of the entire organization. Right now the Sabres are stacked with young players--many of which should probably not even be in the league right now. Yet, they continue to improve and are managing to win games and tonight can position themselves two points out of a playoff spot. This is an amazing feat for this squad. But they come to the table with the underdog mentality. Very admirable. Exciting to watch at times. Frustrating at others.

So goes the way of the world in WNY sports nation. We just can't seem to attract the professional mentality required to make the runs we want to make. We saw it with Drury putting that cup on the wall in the locker room and what that squad subsequently achieved. I would like to think Marrone is making a similar statement about results in the current field house. Only time will tell the story ... but it will need to be told with the attitude of a winner not the underdog.

OpIv37
04-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Sabres don't play tonight and that debacle against Winnipeg last night resulted in a 4 point swing with one of the teams ahead of them for the 8th spot. They pretty much blew whatever chance they had

I do agree that they are playing much better, though. Hell, they had a 3 game winning streak going with Vanek injured.

coastal
04-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Typical Buffalo sports franchise with late season winds affecting their draft status.

Typ0
04-10-2013, 04:49 PM
My point is if we want to win a championship the underdog is not going to get it done. They can play well but have trouble maintaining that level of competitiveness due to the talent level and other factors that effect their careers. This is the culture that both of these sports teams have in Buffalo ... and the primary mitigating factor to mediocrity is the attitude of the players we are able to bring in to play here. It also is a reason we lose home grown drafter players who want to test free agency. They are professional athletes and playing in these leagues is a gift. However, when the rubber hits the road they are looking for greener pastures laden with better opportunities for championships.

- - - Updated - - -

Typical Buffalo sports franchise with late season winds affecting their draft status.

Because they can dig deep in desperation and perform but they can't maintain a steady pace due to the underlying intellectual and emotional battles they fight with their physical capabilities.

The King
04-11-2013, 06:57 AM
I agree with this... in the Gailey regime the goal was to "make playoffs" it was never to win the division or a championship it was simply play a game in Janauary. Which for a sports team is basically the lowest bar you can set for a team.

Typ0
04-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Absolutely! And then if they get there and don't win the conversation becomes "they can't win in the playoffs". It's silly to set your sights on the playoffs. The playoffs should be considered a given if you do the work ... so you have to work on mentally being on the moment and getting the work done.

Historian
04-11-2013, 09:46 AM
On the other hand, most coaches approach the season in quarters, so my guess is that any of this talk is strictly verboten until the 12th week or so.