• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Hoping Like Never Before The Phone Rings For A Trade Down Opportunity

This draft is weak at the top. Rounds 2-4 looks loaded with value. I see too many 2nd-3rd round types being overdrafted in Round 1.

Marrone needs to fill multiple holes and get his rebuild going. He didn't create this mess. He needs to cure it with Nix/Whaley listening to what he needs to execute his schemes and make us competitive.

People are all over the place with who they want at #8 and no one player is going to win us 4 games or put us over the hump to a playoff berth. Bills need more picks than 6. Help out the new coach and improve this roster as much as possible. I see multiple holes.

I like Byrd a lot but if they're far apart on contract ideas, this is the time to deal him. Otherwise, he walks next year without any return other than a comp pick the following year and that makes no sense. So in summary.

1. Answer the phone and deal back for additional picks.
    2. Talk to Byrds agent now and figure out if a deal can be done prior to the draft. Otherwise, start calling around for more picks.

Give the new coach an actual chance to succeed.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Hoping Like Never Before The Phone Rings For A Trade Down Opportunity

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
    This draft is weak at the top. Rounds 2-4 looks loaded with value. I see too many 2nd-3rd round types being overdrafted in Round 1.

Marrone needs to fill multiple holes and get his rebuild going. He didn't create this mess. He needs to cure it with Nix/Whaley listening to what he needs to execute his schemes and make us competitive.

People are all over the place with who they want at #8 and no one player is going to win us 4 games or put us over the hump to a playoff berth. Bills need more picks than 6. Help out the new coach and improve this roster as much as possible. I see multiple holes.

I like Byrd a lot but if they're far apart on contract ideas, this is the time to deal him. Otherwise, he walks next year without any return other than a comp pick the following year and that makes no sense. So in summary.

2. Talk to Byrds agent now and figure out if a deal can be done prior to the draft. Otherwise, start calling around for more picks.

No calls please. Other than lucking into Kelly and Biscuit and getting Lewis and maybe Lofton, and trading for Spikes, the history of BUF trades and draft moves is not very good. IMO.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
      • Jul 2002

When you get a good player you find a way to keep him, you don't look to trade him so that you can draft the next Aaron (fill in Williams or Maybin-take your pick, but don't add one for Byrd).
      If Byrd is good enough to be franchised this year & he doesn't sign long term, keep franchising him until he signs.
      The best way for a coach to succeed is to add Pro Bowl caliber players, not trade them for unknown quantities just because you have 6 picks.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
        • Sep 2009

I'm sure the phone will ring but will anyone pick it up?

Comment

• Bangarang
          • Sep 2010

The draft is weak at the top yet teams are going to call us to trade up? Does not compute.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
            The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
            • Feb 2005

Yeah I was going to say too.... If its such a crappy draft at the top, why would anyone want to trade up?
            In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

You alluded to this strategy in another thread. I'd rather have them grab someone solid from the top ten, sign Byrd long term and draft shrewdly in rounds 2 - 5.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                draft shrewdly in rounds 2 - 5.
                You are on a Bills , are you sharing an IQ with someone?
                In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• malvado78
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                  I'm sure the phone will ring but will anyone pick it up?
                  No they won't but I hear Nix will call back incessantly...

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • May 2009

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Jul 2007

If it's a bad draft at the top, and has good players in the middle... shouldn't the middle round players be drafted higher? Logic escapes me when it comes to draft time...
                      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

The key to a trade down will be one of the three OT's or WR Tavon Austin.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                          The key to a trade down will be one of the three OT's or WR Tavon Austin.
                          Yup. Other teams looking for that missing piece. Bills need MULTIPLE pieces.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• k-oneputt
                            • Jun 2009

Call San Fran. They have a bunch of picks. Maybe they will trade up for Austin.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
                              Call San Fran. They have a bunch of picks. Maybe they will trade up for Austin.
                              That's the hot rumor on Bills Message Board.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X