PDA

View Full Version : Byrd not reporting to voluntary workouts

Wittman21
04-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏<s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>RapSheet (https://twitter.com/RapSheet)<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 5px;">11m (https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/323623652341997568)</small>
Don't expect <s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(103, 135, 183);">#</s>Bills (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills&src=hash) safety Jairus Byrd to show up at voluntary conditioning workouts Tuesday, absent a long-term deal. Hasn't signed tag yet

OpIv37
04-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Yup. We are drafting a S at 8.

mrbojanglezs
04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
His agent is Eugene Parker. Doesn't have the best history with the bills

JoeMama
04-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Well, the free agency period certainly was a ringing success for Buffalo.

Andy Levitre abandons ship after the Bills officially deem the offensive line unimportant.

Jairus Byrd doesn't want to be here.

We replace a mediocre QB with an injury prone mediocre QB.

What's next on our busy agenda?

Will we set the NFL record for useless defensive backs taken in the first round?

ARE YOU TOTALLY PUMPED FOR 2013 OR WHAT???

Mr. Miyagi
04-14-2013, 09:43 PM
F you Bills. I'm so sick of rooting for a bunch of morons incompetent of running a business.

OpIv37
04-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Well, the free agency period certainly was a ringing success for Buffalo.

Andy Levitre abandons ship after the Bills officially deem the offensive line unimportant.

Jairus Byrd doesn't want to be here.

We replace a mediocre QB with an injury prone mediocre QB.

What's next on our busy agenda?

Will we set the NFL record for useless defensive backs taken in the first round?

ARE YOU TOTALLY PUMPED FOR 2013 OR WHAT???

Let me save Hurkey the effort: "Shut up. You're not a real fan. Loser."

ParanoidAndroid
04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
The Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL.

ServoBillieves
04-14-2013, 10:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159838/article/jairus-byrd-isnt-expected-to-attend-buffalo-bills-conditioning

Fantastic... Don't attempt to keep the players you draft, so what's the point?

BertSquirtgum
04-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I've heard that Byrd is pissed he got tagged and was not allowed to hit the market and try to get a great deal like Dashon Goldson. He wants to be traded or wants a Goldson-like contract

I don't know if his agent is the one advising him to do this or what. What I do know is that, this is not good for the Bills.

ICRockets
04-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Oh no! An NFL player is in a contract dispute! The Bills are so incompetent because this is the first time such a thing has ever happened!

Skooby
04-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Boo-hoo, if he wants lots of money than get the INT's he had as a rookie.

X-Era
04-15-2013, 05:03 AM
I'll worry about it when mandatory work starts.

TacklingDummy
04-15-2013, 06:09 AM
He's no Ed Reed.
He can easily be replaced.
If someone wants to give up a 1st rounder for him, do it.

Jan Reimers
04-15-2013, 06:31 AM
You know, this kind of thing happens to every team. But unlike EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL, we have missed the playoffs for 13 consecutive years. We have comparatively little talent, and we lost a very good player when we let Levitre go. We have massive holes to fill, with only 6 draft picks to do it. We have been relatively quiet in free agency.

So considering our unique circumstances as one of the worst franchises in professional sports, it's a little odd - when we hear that perhaps our best player may be on his way out - for anyone to consider this "no big deal." It is a big deal, because it is indicative of why we will spend another year watching other teams in the playoffs, and making excuses for what has become a joke of a front office.

GingerP
04-15-2013, 06:35 AM

Right. He has 18 picks, 27 passes defensed and 10 forced fumbles in his 4 years in the NFL. I'd stack those numbers up against anyone.

jamze132
04-15-2013, 06:39 AM
I think it's a mistake to not keep your own players, especially the stars who actually contribute. Letting Levetri go, I understand. You don't pay that much for an interior lineman. But Byrd needs to be paid. Hopefully the Bills are just playing hardball or something knowing that they will eventually give him what he wants but regardless, we need to keep our own stars.

The King
04-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Is it foolish to think that he can eat into a little of what Kelsay left behind?

pmoon6
04-15-2013, 07:09 AM
F you Bills. I'm so sick of rooting for a bunch of morons incompetent of running a business.Waaaaaah. I hear San Francisco will be pretty good this year.

trapezeus
04-15-2013, 07:40 AM
i think it's partially part of the game the two sides have to play. it sends a little panic to the bills.

but unfortunately, i don't think the bills can even play these games well. they get all sore and walk. they become insistent that they know better and they have the team to find the replacement.

what is truly amazing is byrd's stats with almost no pass rush in his time here. if he had played on a team where the opposing qb was under duress, imagine his INTs.

justasportsfan
04-15-2013, 07:49 AM
how is this the bills' fault? Byrd is still part of the team.

Mahdi
04-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Oh no! An NFL player is in a contract dispute! The Bills are so incompetent because this is the first time such a thing has ever happened!

No they're incompetent because they didn't sign Byrd to an extension 1-2 years before he became FA. I think it was clear after his rookie year that he should stay.

justasportsfan
04-15-2013, 08:08 AM
No they're incompetent because they didn't sign Byrd to an extension 1-2 years before he became FA. I think it was clear after his rookie year that he should stay.

haven't you learned anything from Fitz?

Mahdi
04-15-2013, 08:11 AM

You win some you lose some.

Byrd should have been re-signed before the start of last season if they wanted to keep him. It also would have been cheaper.

justasportsfan
04-15-2013, 08:16 AM
You win some you lose some.

Byrd should have been re-signed before the start of last season if they wanted to keep him. It also would have been cheaper.

Ha! In other words, the bills are doomed of they do and doomed if they don't. So you're telling me the bills were right to extend Fitz?

I agree you can't win them all .
This happens to every team. The Pats tagged Wlker last year and he showed up. So it's not the teams fault. Thats what the tag is for.

Mahdi
04-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Ha! In other words, the bills are doomed of they do and doomed if they don't. ANd if the bills didn't extend Fitz, we wouldn't have a cap hit this year.

I agree you can't win them all .
This happens to every team. The Pats tagged Wlker last year and he showed up. So it's not the teams fault. Thats what the tag is for.

He showed up because he's playing for the Pats. Byrd wanted to leave Buffalo. There is the possibility that they tried to extend Byrd before last season. Doubt it though as there were no reports.

justasportsfan
04-15-2013, 08:24 AM
He showed up because he's playing for the Pats. Byrd wanted to leave Buffalo. There is the possibility that they tried to extend Byrd before last season. Doubt it though as there were no reports.

well tough luck. If he wanted to leave buffalo then thats not buffalo's fault.

OpIv37
04-15-2013, 08:39 AM

Here's the problem: Nix's defenders always say that he has done a good job not letting FA's walk. Hell, even some of the Nix haters have given him credit for that.

But, this year we had two free agents. One walked and Nix had to tag the other one cuz they couldn't agree on a contract. Now, he's disgruntled and will walk after next year because of the bad blood. So, that's 0 for 2. Nix ****ed up throne thing he was actually doing well.

Most other teams are better than us. A contract dispute every now and then isn't the end of the world, but for this team, we simply can't afford it. Byrd will most likely play this year, but he's gone next year, which means the perpetual rebuilding cycle continues. New holes are opening up before we fill existing ones.

justasportsfan
04-15-2013, 08:42 AM
. Byrd will most likely play this year, but he's gone next year, which means the perpetual rebuilding cycle continues. then we should ***** and whine when he's gone. Not while he's still on the team.

mjt328
04-15-2013, 08:43 AM
but unfortunately, i don't think the bills can even play these games well. they get all sore and walk. they become insistent that they know better and they have the team to find the replacement.

This is exactly the problem.

If the Bills were a competent organization like the Ravens or Patriots, I would be confident that everything would be resolved before the season starts. This news wouldn't concern me at all. Byrd would get paid and the Bills would keep one of their best players. If everything broke down and Byrd demanded a trade, our front office would get maximum value. And I would trust them to find a legitimate replacement.

But as we all know, this team is run extremely poorly. They don't know how to recognize talent and have no clue whether a player is expendable or not. They don't have a clue how to manage the salary cap. They have a proven track record of holding grudges against players who hold out for money. They have a proven track record for kicking Pro Bowl players out the door. They have a proven track record for getting ripped off in trades. And since they draft so poorly, it takes YEARS before a decent replacement can be found.

This team traded a Pro Bowl left tackle (Jason Peters) for a late 1st round pick, because they refused to pay him what he was worth. Buffalo got ripped off really bad in that trade with Philadelphia. And in the process, they left a gaping hole on the offensive line that remained for roughly 3-4 seasons. Why? Because they got upset that Peters wanted more money for playing at a high level. The Bills front office has no problem running the football team like a business when it comes to signing cheap free agents and cutting players. But when a player and his agent ask for fair compensation, they are considered a cancer that must be removed.

What really scares me, is we've got a "restructured" front office and a new head coach. Instead of doing the smart thing to make this team better - they may use Byrd as an example to the rest of the players. If the team doesn't come first, you are gone.

HAMMER
04-15-2013, 08:50 AM
I hate free agency, ruined sports for us fans.

mjt328
04-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Here's the problem: Nix's defenders always say that he has done a good job not letting FA's walk. Hell, even some of the Nix haters have given him credit for that.

But, this year we had two free agents. One walked and Nix had to tag the other one cuz they couldn't agree on a contract. Now, he's disgruntled and will walk after next year because of the bad blood. So, that's 0 for 2. Nix ****ed up throne thing he was actually doing well.

Most other teams are better than us. A contract dispute every now and then isn't the end of the world, but for this team, we simply can't afford it. Byrd will most likely play this year, but he's gone next year, which means the perpetual rebuilding cycle continues. New holes are opening up before we fill existing ones.

This is what I've been saying.

Nix has been getting A LOT of undeserved credit for keeping his own talent (Stevie and FJax basically), but it's a trend that can only last so long without good drafting.

His inability to draft a decent pass rusher forced him to spend $100 million on Mario last year. It was only a matter of time before that signing was going to impact our ability to sign everyone else. Levitre was the start. The rumblings have started about Byrd, and I'm not expecting it to end well.

It won't be long before Spiller is asking to get paid like a Top 5 back.

Captain Obvious
04-15-2013, 08:51 AM
But, this year we had two free agents.

No there were more than two free agents and the Bills did sign one of them

OpIv37
04-15-2013, 08:57 AM
No there were more than two free agents and the Bills did sign one of them

Sorry, two KEY fee agents. Happy now?

mjt328
04-15-2013, 09:00 AM

The true mistake was EVER believing Fitz was more than a backup QB in this league.

Byrd has been flashing Pro Bowl talent since he was a rookie. Levitre has been a solid contributor since he was a rookie. These are the types of players you extend a year or two in advance and NEVER let them get close to free agency.

Fitz had 6-7 years of inconsistent play, then 4-5 good games in a row. These are the kinds of players you make PROVE IT.

justasportsfan
04-15-2013, 09:10 AM
The true mistake was EVER believing Fitz was more than a backup QB in this league.

Byrd has been flashing Pro Bowl talent since he was a rookie. Levitre has been a solid contributor since he was a rookie. These are the types of players you extend a year or two in advance and NEVER let them get close to free agency.

Fitz had 6-7 years of inconsistent play, then 4-5 good games in a row. These are the kinds of players you make PROVE IT.

No, the biggest mistake was hiring Gailey. As a GM you want to be on the same page as the head coach. You have to listen to the coach you handpicked. IMO, Gailey wanted Fitz. As far as Levitre and Byrd are concerned, Nix once again has to see what Marrone wants to do and IMO thinks Byrd was more important to keep. He's still on the team .

IlluminatusUIUC
04-15-2013, 10:05 AM
"We can't sign Levitre! We need that money to extend Byrd!"

lol, what a dumpster fire this team is. Dashon Goldson set the market, now finish the deal you freaking clowns. 2009 was one of the best drafts we've had in years and by this time next year, all three of them could be gone. The Buddy Nix Era.

GingerP
04-15-2013, 10:14 AM
He's still on the team .

He isn't under contract, and won't be until he signs the tender. He can stay away from the team and sign right before the start of the season without being penalized, since he doesn't have a contract. He can then play out the year and either be franchised again at 120% of his money this year or go to free agency.

Goldson set the market, just pay Byrd. You don't let your best players go, the guy is one of the best in the NFL at his position.

RedEyE
04-15-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure what the Bills were expecting. Were they expecting Byrd to eventually fold and sign a deal beneath him? It's not going to happen. The Bills aren't a team in position to be making negotiations. Decent FAs do not want to play for this team unless the pay is significantly higher than most other offers on the table. And even that is not a guarantee. Some of these guys would probably rather take a smaller pay check to play for better caliber team than fill the bank and deal with the dysfunctional front office of the Bills.

If the Bills really want to "buck the trend" they're going to have to over pay players...at least until they can establish a winning team in Buffalo again.

And I'm not even saying that Byrd isn't worth the money he's asking. It's more about how the Bills place value on their players and how they fail to properly reward those that are the most productive. This team has been able to find talent over the years but always, always, always fail at retaining those that deserve to be paid.

SpikedLemonade
04-15-2013, 10:54 AM
"We can't sign Levitre! We need that money to extend Byrd!"

lol, what a dumpster fire this team is. Dashon Goldson set the market, now finish the deal you freaking clowns. 2009 was one of the best drafts we've had in years and by this time next year, all three of them could be gone. The Buddy Nix Era.

"But...but...but...all Buddy did wrong was pick Chan as Head Coach. All of the bad decisions are Chan's fault. Chan wanted Fitz. Chan wanted Whanny. Marrone is our saviour...."

coastal
04-15-2013, 10:56 AM
"But...but...but...all Buddy did wrong was pick Chan as Head Coach. All of the bad decisions are Chan's fault. Chan wanted Fitz. Chan wanted Whanny. Marrone is our saviour...."
1 Bubba is better than 2?

SpikedLemonade
04-15-2013, 10:58 AM
1 Bubba is better than 2?

AND 0 Bubba is better than 1.

Just retire Buddy.

Night Train
04-15-2013, 11:04 AM
His agent is holdout happy Eugene Parker.

Whether the team tried to sign him up early last year or now, Parker is going to bleed the team dry for the biggest contract possible. Timing means nothing with Parker. He wants all his clients vastly overpaid with max contracts and that's why players sign up with him.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-15-2013, 11:26 AM
His agent is holdout happy Eugene Parker.

Whether the team tried to sign him up early last year or now, Parker is going to bleed the team dry for the biggest contract possible. Timing means nothing with Parker. He wants all his clients vastly overpaid with max contracts and that's why players sign up with him.

The Byrd damage control is starting early.

TacklingDummy
04-15-2013, 11:31 AM
So considering our unique circumstances as one of the worst franchises in professional sports, it's a little odd - when we hear that perhaps our best player may be on his way out - for anyone to consider this "no big deal." It is a big deal, because it is indicative of why we will spend another year watching other teams in the playoffs, and making excuses for what has become a joke of a front office.

A Safety is not the reason why "we will spend another year watching other teams in the playoffs", the Quarterback position is. This is a QB driven league. Until you have one, you will continue to struggle year in and year out. See Buffalo/Cleveland/Arizona, for examples of not having one. See New England, Indy, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc..for having one.

TacklingDummy
04-15-2013, 11:44 AM
But as we all know, this team is run extremely poorly. They don't know how to recognize talent and have no clue whether a player is expendable or not. Over the past 10 years how many formerly drafted Bills players went on to be stars somewhere else? Maybin, Hardy,Poz, Edwards, McCargo, Simpson, Parrish, Evans, Losman, Anderson, Euhus, McFarland, Smith, Preston, King, Geisinger, Gates, Merz...etc

The problem isn't letting people walk, the problem is drafting like shlT.

OpIv37
04-15-2013, 11:45 AM
A Safety is not the reason why "we will spend another year watching other teams in the playoffs", the Quarterback position is. This is a QB driven league. Until you have one, you will continue to struggle year in and year out. See Buffalo/Cleveland/Arizona, for examples of not having one. See New England, Indy, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc..for having one.

NO has Brees- how'd they do last year? Eli Manning has two rings and still missed the playoffs last year.

Yeah, it's a QB driven league but we can't let the rest of the team go to hell thinking everything will be okay if we can just somehow get a QB. Even the best QB needs pieces arounf him that we don't have. And now we are letting the pieces we do have- Levitre and Byrd- get away.

TacklingDummy
04-15-2013, 11:47 AM
NO has Brees- how'd they do last year? Eli Manning has two rings and still missed the playoffs last year.

They consistently have good teams.
I'll take a year or two without playoffs vs. a decade plus without coming close to the playoffs.

Captain Obvious
04-15-2013, 12:48 PM

Don't forget last year The Steelers missed the playoffs.. Ahh but with Big Ben they have also won 2 Super Bowls in the last 8 years.. Your argument would make more sense if you gave examples of elite QBs who have not won Super Bowls

Skooby
04-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Can't we just reach our hand out to Byrd & pay him ?? We couldn't easily replace him & he's a great player, there's not a lot to know.

Yeah, it's a QB driven league but we can't let the rest of the team go to hell thinking everything will be okay if we can just somehow get a QB. Even the best QB needs pieces arounf him that we don't have. And now we are letting the pieces we do have- Levitre and Byrd- get away.

I don't agree with the Levitre comment, he was good but you can't pay elite money for a replaceable part. Byrd on the hand is not replaceable.

trapezeus
04-15-2013, 01:02 PM
forget the damned if you do, damned if they don't comment.

The bills had levitre and byrd to sign. they let levitre go and subsequently lost rhinehart as well. they have 6 picks and had holes before those guys left. so they have to spend a pick on that position now. They didn't get a camp body in free agency, they literally have to address this when the issue of a top notch QB is outstanding, a top notch LB, another CB since a. williams is terrible, another WR, another TE, possible a RB (jackson was hurt for stretches this year).

They can't even get to adding depth. So even if they are good in the first 4 games again, do you think they can handle injuries? i don't trust them.

So it's not about signing byrd a few years ago. it's about given the option this year, you overpay for someone who you believe will justify that payment over length of contract. look at contracts signed 2-3 years ago. they are cap friendly now if the player performs.

the organization is so short sighted at best and completely idiotic at worst.

PTI
04-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Byrd for Revis!

Generalissimus Gibby
04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Yup. We are drafting a S at 8.

One who can play CB as well, and would it be too much to assume that he comes from Ohio State?

Ed
04-15-2013, 01:23 PM
I think a lot of you are overreacting (as usual). Nix has already basically said that they need to save cap space for Byrd's extension and the Buffalo News has said that the two sides are in the early stages of negotiating a long term deal. A lot of franchised players don't participate in voluntary workouts. This isn't anything out of the ordinary.

stuckincincy
04-15-2013, 01:25 PM
I think a lot of you are overreacting (as usual). Nix has already basically said that they need to save cap space for Byrd's extension and the Buffalo News has said that the two sides are in the early stages of negotiating a long term deal. A lot of franchised players don't participate in voluntary workouts. This isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Yep.

Raptor
04-15-2013, 03:34 PM

Kind of hard to do that when teams dont throw at you anymore because they respect him that much

Byrd contract should be more than Goldsons and he and his agent know it

Mouldsie
04-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Fitz was never good?

gebobs
04-15-2013, 03:43 PM
I've heard that Byrd is pissed he got tagged and was not allowed to hit the market and try to get a great deal like Dashon Goldson.Doesn't the tag do just that?

BillsFever21
04-15-2013, 04:06 PM

The Byrd and Fitzpatrick situation are two totally different circumstances and you can't compare the two. Byrd was a young player on a rookie contract who had proved himself over the 3 years leading into last year when we should've re-signed him. Fitz was a career mediocre backup level player who had a good month of football and then we threw 20+ million in guaranteed money his way. Two totally different players under much different circumstances.

OpIv37
04-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Don't forget last year The Steelers missed the playoffs.. Ahh but with Big Ben they have also won 2 Super Bowls in the last 8 years.. Your argument would make more sense if you gave examples of elite QBs who have not won Super Bowls
Huh?

That has nothing to do with my argument.

The point is that having a franchise QB- even one who has won a SB- doesn't guarantee success. Even Ben, Brees and Eli can't get it done when the team around them isn't up to par.

You can put whatever QB you want on this team- even one of those three- and the team is still going to have "down years" as long as we still have as many glaring holes as we currently have.

BLeonard
04-15-2013, 04:49 PM
I don't agree with the Levitre comment, he was good but you can't pay elite money for a replaceable part. Byrd on the hand is not replaceable.

Simple question on the bolded: If Levitre is such a "replaceable part," as you claim, why haven't they replaced him yet?

Hell, they haven't even replaced his backup, who also left in Free Agency, yet. That tells me that they aren't as "replaceable" as you and others seem to think that they are.

-Bill

OpIv37
04-15-2013, 04:54 PM

If he's in the process of negotiating a long-term deal, wouldn't he show up to voluntary OTA's and/or sign his franchise tender in good faith?

And remember, signing the franchise tender isn't an act of valor to benefit the team on his part. He gets something like $8 million guaranteed in the deal.

Raptor
04-15-2013, 05:45 PM
If he's in the process of negotiating a long-term deal, wouldn't he show up to voluntary OTA's and/or sign his franchise tender in good faith?

And remember, signing the franchise tender isn't an act of valor to benefit the team on his part. He gets something like $8 million guaranteed in the deal.

and risk a major injury? If im his agent, no way Im letting him show up

He blows out a knee and it'll cost him millions

OpIv37
04-15-2013, 05:48 PM
and risk a major injury? If im his agent, no way Im letting him show up

He blows out a knee and it'll cost him millions
Um, what?

if he signs the tender, the money is guaranteed whether he gets injured or not. Teams can't cut injured players.

There is no risk to Byrd here whatsoever.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Um, what?

if he signs the tender, the money is guaranteed whether he gets injured or not. Teams can't cut injured players.

The tender is only a one year deal. If he signs that and blows out his knee, it might severely affect his options the next time it comes to sign a deal in 2014. Goldson just got $22 million guaranteed, so playing it out for 8 is a poor call on his part.

DraftBoy
04-15-2013, 06:24 PM

Would you risk it? How many times a year to do we hear about season ending non contact injuries? I'm not showing up till the ink is dry on my high priced contract.

Raptor
04-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Um, what?

You're right, nothing to risk... I mean minus the more than doubled guaranteed money he would get with a long term deal opposed to the 8 he is getting now

What did Goldson get in Guarantees, 22 million? So Byrd is putting at risk 14 million at minimum. You're seriously lost if you think he is risking nothing

To put it blunt, Byrd would have to be an idiot to show up

and Good Faith? How bout the Bills show some good faith and just reward their best defensive player to get him on that field. The guy has earned it

mjt328
04-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Over the past 10 years how many formerly drafted Bills players went on to be stars somewhere else? Maybin, Hardy,Poz, Edwards, McCargo, Simpson, Parrish, Evans, Losman, Anderson, Euhus, McFarland, Smith, Preston, King, Geisinger, Gates, Merz...etc

The problem isn't letting people walk, the problem is drafting like shlT.

I'm definitely not going to argue they draft like crap. And I'm not going to argue that drafting is our biggest problem.
But the constant loss of top contributors is also a BIG problem holding us down.

To answer your question, over the last 10 years... Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, Wilis McGahee, London Fletcher, Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch and Donte Whitner all made the Pro Bowl after we either let them walk away in free agency or traded them for draft picks. That doesn't count solid players like Travis Henry, Paul Posluszny, Nate Clements, Takeo Spikes and Lee Evans.

In almost every single case (with the exception of running back), those losses created HUGE holes that took years to fix again.

How many years, trades, free agent signings and high picks did it take to finally fill the shoes of Pat Williams? Remember Larry Tripplett, John McCargo, Marcus Stroud, etc.? How about the gaping hole at left tackle after booting Jason Peters out the door? How about the constant revolving door of spending first round picks at cornerback (Winfield, Clements, McKelvin, Gilmore) and running back (McGahee, Lynch, Spiller)...

OpIv37
04-15-2013, 08:35 PM
You're right, nothing to risk... I mean minus the more than doubled guaranteed money he would get with a long term deal opposed to the 8 he is getting now

What did Goldson get in Guarantees, 22 million? So Byrd is putting at risk 14 million at minimum. You're seriously lost if you think he is risking nothing

To put it blunt, Byrd would have to be an idiot to show up

and Good Faith? How bout the Bills show some good faith and just reward their best defensive player to get him on that field. The guy has earned it
I'm not suggesting that the Bills didn't screw up. They should have paid him rather than tagging him. My point was only in response to the comment that he's "negotiating."

Not signing the tender or showing up doesn't sound like someone who is "negotiating." It sounds like someone who's bitter that he didn't get to test the FA waters.

And are you seriously suggesting that guys shouldn't practice cuz they may get hurt?

Downinfloflo
04-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Once again Buffalo went after the wrong guy.

They let Andy walk and took on a head ache.

Ed
04-16-2013, 09:09 AM

He doesn't need to show up. It's voluntary and he doesn't have a contract.

Randy Starks and Ryan Clady, two other franchised players are both no shows for the start of their teams offseason programs also.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-16-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm not suggesting that the Bills didn't screw up. They should have paid him rather than tagging him. My point was only in response to the comment that he's "negotiating."

Not signing the tender or showing up doesn't sound like someone who is "negotiating." It sounds like someone who's bitter that he didn't get to test the FA waters.

And are you seriously suggesting that guys shouldn't practice cuz they may get hurt?

Have you ever negotiated anything? If he signs the tender the Bills have no reason to continue dealing with him until the end of the season, when his situation could be completely different. If he practices without a tender, he could be injured. Both of those moves destroy his leverage.

Mr. Pink
04-16-2013, 10:55 AM
It's voluntary.

Who cares???

DraftBoy
04-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Hey look Randy Starks (and multiple other tagged players) is not going to voluntary workouts either, SOUND THE ALARMS!!!

mjt328
04-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Hey look Randy Starks (and multiple other tagged players) is not going to voluntary workouts either, SOUND THE ALARMS!!!

Most other teams have a better track record at getting contract issues resolved.

Buffalo does not.

When a player like Clady holds-out in Denver, he's gaining leverage for a bigger contract. Broncos fans know he's going to be there Week One, if not earlier.
When a player holds-out in Buffalo, he might as well start packing boxes. Our front office is probably already fielding trade offers.

DraftBoy
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Most other teams have a better track record at getting contract issues resolved.

Buffalo does not.

When a player like Clady holds-out in Denver, he's gaining leverage for a bigger contract. Broncos fans know he's going to be there Week One, if not earlier.
When a player holds-out in Buffalo, he might as well start packing boxes. Our front office is probably already fielding trade offers.

What is our track record exactly with franchise tagged players?

gebobs
04-16-2013, 12:25 PM
I think Nate Clements was tagged before he bolted.

edit: It looks like he was tagged in February '06 but left the following year. What happened? One year extension?

Ed
04-16-2013, 12:29 PM
The only franchise tag I can think of is Peerless Price, which we turned into a 1st round pick.

People just like making s**t up so that they have a reason to complain about the Bills every day.

OpIv37
04-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Have you ever negotiated anything? If he signs the tender the Bills have no reason to continue dealing with him until the end of the season, when his situation could be completely different. If he practices without a tender, he could be injured. Both of those moves destroy his leverage.

The Bills have no reason to continue dealing with him now. They offered him the tender. He can take it or he can sit and lose the money. He already has no leverage.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-16-2013, 12:39 PM
The Bills have no reason to continue dealing with him now. They offered him the tender. He can take it or he can sit and lose the money. He already has no leverage.

Of course he has leverage. The Bills don't want to let one of their best players walk, and antagonizing him into playing on a franchise tag makes it more likely that he'll tell Nix and Whaley to GFY next year. There's also the threat of him sitting out training camp and missing all the instruction in Pettine's new D, which of course is going to make this season an even bigger dumpster fire.

trapezeus
04-16-2013, 12:48 PM
here is the big point...the bills will negotiate with very little savigns to be made. if you are keeping him, find the recent comparable player and pay him a little more or extend the contract.

nothing is going to happen as he sits out if you want him because he has a new program to learn for the second consecutive year. So if you are even remotely interested in signing him, you do it now because you are haggling over pennies in the big picture.

So when this drags out into camp (if they don't deal him), we are stuck with a excellent safety who isn't in playing condition at the start of the season and can't help the team.

So if the bills knew what they were doing, they either package him at the draft and move on fresh with marrone getting a very stripped down team, or you save face now, so that it's done and he's in the program to be worth the prce of the contract.

Either way, the bills have been called and need to do something this week with it.

gebobs
04-16-2013, 12:55 PM
one of their best players walk
Reality in a nutshell.

mjt328
04-16-2013, 01:33 PM

The only players I can recall us ever franchising were Peerless Price and Nate Clements.

Both were gone within a season.

OpIv37
04-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Of course he has leverage. The Bills don't want to let one of their best players walk, and antagonizing him into playing on a franchise tag makes it more likely that he'll tell Nix and Whaley to GFY next year. There's also the threat of him sitting out training camp and missing all the instruction in Pettine's new D, which of course is going to make this season an even bigger dumpster fire.

That's assuming that
a) the Bills are willing to pay what it takes to keep him and
b) Byrd wants to stay

I'm not so sure that either of those are safe assumptions.

better days
04-16-2013, 02:37 PM
That's assuming that
b) Byrd wants to stay

I agree with you Op. If the Bills can't get a deal worked out with Byrd SOON, I think it may be best to trade him for as much as possible. Probably won't make a big difference if he is on the team this year or not.

The Bills need either Byrd or draft picks in lieu of Byrd for the FUTURE.

Mahdi
04-16-2013, 03:08 PM
How about this:

Assuming Geno Smith is gone....

Select Kenny Vaccaro at 8. Trade Byrd to Dallas for their 1st round pick and 3rd round pick. Select Matt Barkley at 18. Select best WR available at 41.

Use the 3rd round picks to select a G and top TE available. Rest of draft to address defense.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-16-2013, 03:28 PM
That's assuming that
b) Byrd wants to stay

You may be right, but neither of those is going to make Byrd want to sign the tender. And while he's sitting there unsigned but tagged, then his tag figure still o****s against the salary cap.

better days
04-16-2013, 03:41 PM
You may be right, but neither of those is going to make Byrd want to sign the tender. And while he's sitting there unsigned but tagged, then his tag figure still o****s against the salary cap.

If the Bills can't come to an agreement with Byrd, I think they need to trade him. Not good for the Bills or Byrd to play a year with the tag.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
If the Bills can't come to an agreement with Byrd, I think they need to trade him. Not good for the Bills or Byrd to play a year with the tag.

If that's the case, they should put him on the block before the draft so we can at least try to turn it around with picks this year.

Dumping YET ANOTHER talented player for piddling value because Nix botched the deal would put a final exclamation point on his utter failure here.

mjt328
04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
How about this:

Select Kenny Vaccaro at 8. Trade Byrd to Dallas for their 1st round pick and 3rd round pick. Select Matt Barkley at 18. Select best WR available at 41.

Use the 3rd round picks to select a G and top TE available. Rest of draft to address defense.

Draft picks are unproven players. Jairus Byrd is a 2-time Pro Bowler and one of the best in the league at his position.
We could take the top safety in the draft at #8 in Vacarro, and there is no guarantee he would even come close to Byrd's play.

You don't trade Pro Bowl players in their prime for draft picks. Period.

PAY THE MAN!!!!!!!! If we trade Byrd for anything short of another Pro Bowl player in his prime, it is yet another colossal failure by the front office.

MidnightVoice
04-16-2013, 04:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9179659/buffalo-bills-hope-sign-jairus-byrd-long-term-deal

General manager Buddy Nix said at the team's predraft luncheon that the Bills are hoping to sign Byrd to a multiyear deal, but Nix doesn't know when talks will start to pick up.

"There's been some contact and we're making an effort to try to get a long-term deal done with Jairus," Nix said. "But you know -- and I don't mean this in a bad way -- I haven't given it much thought. I don't mean that we're not interested, because we certainly need him and eventually he'll probably be here. But there's nothing we can do except try to get a contract done. If it doesn't work, then the ball's in his court. He comes when basically he gets ready."..........

By giving Byrd the franchise tag, the Bills essentially gave the safety a one-year contract offer worth $6.9 million. Byrd does not have to accept the offer and is free to negotiate with other teams. The Bills have the right to match any offer Byrd receives or get two first-round picks in return as compensation from any team that signs Byrd.

Byrd is one of two players in the league to remain unsigned after receiving the franchise tag. Denver offensive tackle Ryan Clady is also without a contract, while the six other tagged players signed their one-year offers.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-16-2013, 04:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9179659/buffalo-bills-hope-sign-jairus-byrd-long-term-deal

General manager Buddy Nix said at the team's predraft luncheon that the Bills are hoping to sign Byrd to a multiyear deal, but Nix doesn't know when talks will start to pick up.

"There's been some contact and we're making an effort to try to get a long-term deal done with Jairus," Nix said. "But you know -- and I don't mean this in a bad way -- I haven't given it much thought. I don't mean that we're not interested, because we certainly need him and eventually he'll probably be here. But there's nothing we can do except try to get a contract done. If it doesn't work, then the ball's in his court. He comes when basically he gets ready."..........

By giving Byrd the franchise tag, the Bills essentially gave the safety a one-year contract offer worth $6.9 million. Byrd does not have to accept the offer and is free to negotiate with other teams. The Bills have the right to match any offer Byrd receives or get two first-round picks in return as compensation from any team that signs Byrd.

Byrd is one of two players in the league to remain unsigned after receiving the franchise tag. Denver offensive tackle Ryan Clady is also without a contract, while the six other tagged players signed their one-year offers.

There isn't a chance in hell anyone would try to sign Byrd and give up two firsts for him,

trapezeus
04-16-2013, 04:30 PM
How about this:

if the option is to take matt barkley, i'd rather have romo and his fitz like contract than having a guy who won't blossom into anything better.

GingerP
04-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Select Kenny Vaccaro at 8. Trade Byrd to Dallas for their 1st round pick and 3rd round pick..

You can't trade a player who isn't under contract, and Byrd isn't. The Bills have his rights because they tendered him a franchise tender. but that isn't something that can be traded.

The only way the Bills could trade Byrd is if he agrees to sign the tender. He isn't going to do that without a new contract, so they would need the team trading for him to agree to contract terms with him and agree to trade terms with the Bills. Then he would sign the tender, he would be traded, and then sign an extension with his new team.

Dallas isn't going to be that team because they are tight up against the cap. Any team trading him would need room the full tender or they couldn't make the trade. Even if they bring his number down with an extension, they need to have room for the tender first.

IMO, trading Byrd would be really stupid. Him and Spiller are probably the only top players the Bills have.

imbondz
04-16-2013, 05:56 PM
You know, this kind of thing happens to every team. But unlike EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL, we have missed the playoffs for 13 consecutive years. We have comparatively little talent, and we lost a very good player when we let Levitre go. We have massive holes to fill, with only 6 draft picks to do it. We have been relatively quiet in free agency.

Agreed

BillsFever21
04-16-2013, 06:46 PM
You can't trade a player who isn't under contract, and Byrd isn't. The Bills have his rights because they tendered him a franchise tender. but that isn't something that can be traded.

The only way the Bills could trade Byrd is if he agrees to sign the tender. He isn't going to do that without a new contract, so they would need the team trading for him to agree to contract terms with him and agree to trade terms with the Bills. Then he would sign the tender, he would be traded, and then sign an extension with his new team.

Dallas isn't going to be that team because they are tight up against the cap. Any team trading him would need room the full tender or they couldn't make the trade. Even if they bring his number down with an extension, they need to have room for the tender first.

IMO, trading Byrd would be really stupid. Him and Spiller are probably the only top players the Bills have.

I would much rather keep Byrd and sign him to an extension but if it's looking like that's not going to be the case then I would rather get at least a 1st round draft pick out of him then having him play for a season and then walk next year. This team isn't winning anything this year so it's not like we would be losing out on anything if he didn't play in Buffalo this season.

He will definitely sign the tender when he has no other choice. Whether he wants to play on the franchise tag or not he isn't going to pass up 6.9 million dollars. If we can't keep him beyond this season I'd be open to trading him though.

BertSquirtgum
04-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I feel like Byrd will get traded pre-draft to the 49ers. I hope everyone on here doesn't have a brain aneurysm when it happens.