PDA

View Full Version : King hearing guard talk for Bills at 8

justasportsfan
04-15-2013, 09:25 AM
8. Buffalo. Heard guard a lot over the weekend, with coach Doug Marrone figuring he can get his quarterback either at 41 overall or by moving up 10 to 15 spots to get Ryan Nassib or the QB of his dreams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130415/mock-draft-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/index.html

Night Train
04-15-2013, 09:37 AM
It's been proven many times over that King throws darts and hopes he hits something.

Good read but take it at face value.

T-Long
04-15-2013, 09:43 AM
I think this is Chris Brown's way of telling us what he has heard. So maybe a pass rusher at 8 if Geno isn't there.

Novacane
04-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Hearing a lot of guard talk from who? People speculating just like him!

SpikedLemonade
04-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Better a guard rather than a safety if they don't have the courage to draft a QB with that 8th overall pick.

The King
04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
I have said no such thing.

mjt328
04-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Hearing a lot of guard talk from who? People speculating just like him!

Exactly. When I worked as a newspaper reporter, you didn't report rumors, speculation and unnamed sources.

I get so tired of these sports guys.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Exactly. When I worked as a newspaper reporter, you didn't report rumors, speculation and unnamed sources.

I get so tired of these sports guys.

They are not reporters and it cracks me up when people describe them that way. No self-respecting reporter would slobber all over his interviews the way King does.

stuckincincy
04-15-2013, 10:15 AM
They are not reporters and it cracks me up when people describe them that way. No self-respecting reporter would slobber all over his interviews the way King does.

Not many of them left out there, sports or otherwise... :scared:

HAMMER
04-15-2013, 10:20 AM
As long as they are a starter and can ball I don't care what position it is.

swiper
04-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Better a guard rather than a safety if they don't have the courage to draft a QB with that 8th overall pick.

Not a fan of the idea. But this much I agree with.

ServoBillieves
04-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Did Warmack even visit?

DraftBoy
04-15-2013, 10:52 AM
We've been through this the last two years with Schefter tweets around the same time. These guys are NFL insiders, not draft guys. They are perfect marks for smoke screens.

Joe Fo Sho
04-15-2013, 11:03 AM
IF we take a guard at 8, it would be the epitome of how awful this front office has been over the last decade.

Why wouldn't we have just resigned Levitre if we were going to take a guard that high? Sure, it would've been expensive. But it would've been way less risky, and it would've essentially saved us a first round pick, 8th overall, to take someone at a different position.

Night Train
04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
IF we take a guard at 8, it would be the epitome of how awful this front office has been over the last decade.

Why wouldn't we have just resigned Levitre if we were going to take a guard that high? Sure, it would've been expensive. But it would've been way less risky, and it would've essentially saved us a first round pick, 8th overall, to take someone at a different position.

Agree to a point... but several teams (especially Pittsburgh) have been drafting players knowing the current starter needs a new contract now or next year.

Turnover, justified or not, is a given in the Cap age but the difference is they find good players to replace good players and stay at a high level. We ususally don't and they employ a good QB and an effective front 7 on D, which is essential to winning.

stuckincincy
04-15-2013, 11:21 AM

It's the $. Why pay Levitre when a draftee is less? That's the NFL. Look at this - reduction in the duration of that slappy Jumbotron rah-rah from 30 seconds to...

Mike Ditka: Video scoreboards encouraging crowd noise stupid
By John Breech | CBSSports.com April 13, 2013 3:54 pm ET

"The NFL instituted several in-stadium rule changes this week and Mike Ditka is not a fan of them. Starting this season, video scoreboards can be used to encourage crowd noise during an entire play. Previously, crowd noise could only be encouraged until there was 30 seconds left on the play clock.

The former Chicago Bears coach didn't hide his disdain for the new rule. "It's stupid," Ditka told the Chicago Sun-Times. "The NFL... who are they appealing to? It would be like the owners working at their desk and all of a sudden, they encourage people to come in their office and make a lot of noise. It doesn't make sense." Stadiums will also be able to encourage crowd noise through the use of audio until there's 20 seconds left on the play clock. In the past, the audio encouragement had to stop at the 30-second mark."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22065607/mike-ditka-video-scoreboards-encouraging-crowd-noise-is-stupid

swiper
04-15-2013, 11:45 AM
http://www.animatedgif.net/animals/birds/wcthechook_e0.gif

Peter King

Pinkerton Security
04-15-2013, 11:52 AM
It's the $. Why pay Levitre when a draftee is less? That's the NFL. Look at this - reduction in the duration of that slappy Jumbotron rah-rah from 30 seconds to...

Mike Ditka: Video scoreboards encouraging crowd noise stupid
By John Breech | CBSSports.com April 13, 2013 3:54 pm ET

"The NFL instituted several in-stadium rule changes this week and Mike Ditka is not a fan of them. Starting this season, video scoreboards can be used to encourage crowd noise during an entire play. Previously, crowd noise could only be encouraged until there was 30 seconds left on the play clock.

The former Chicago Bears coach didn't hide his disdain for the new rule. "It's stupid," Ditka told the Chicago Sun-Times. "The NFL... who are they appealing to? It would be like the owners working at their desk and all of a sudden, they encourage people to come in their office and make a lot of noise. It doesn't make sense." Stadiums will also be able to encourage crowd noise through the use of audio until there's 20 seconds left on the play clock. In the past, the audio encouragement had to stop at the 30-second mark."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22065607/mike-ditka-video-scoreboards-encouraging-crowd-noise-is-stupid

This link has nothing to do with this thread. Also, it still doesnt make sense to let a top guard walk when we have the cap room (which we obviously didnt use anywhere else), and then go out and draft a guard. If we had used Levitre's money to pay someone else than it would have made sense, but we didnt.

clumping platelets
04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm on the War Mack!!

Joe Fo Sho
04-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Agree to a point... but several teams (especially Pittsburgh) have been drafting players knowing the current starter needs a new contract now or next year.

Turnover, justified or not, is a given in the Cap age but the difference is they find good players to replace good players and stay at a high level. We ususally don't and they employ a good QB and an effective front 7 on D, which is essential to winning.

Well Pittsburgh is in a little bit of a different predicament than we are. They are a good team...every year. They can afford to do things like this. When we only have a handful of 'almost probowl' talent, we can't afford to lose them.

How many times have we traded/cut/let an RB walk, then drafted one high? Henry --> MacGahee --> Lynch --> Spiller. It's such a waste, even though Spiller is a stud. Lynch and our 1st pick back may have been better than Spiller and the 4th round pick we got for Lynch. Who did we take with that pick anyway?

coastal
04-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Sanity = doing what coastal says.

Skooby
04-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Who da' King ?

stuckincincy
04-15-2013, 12:57 PM
This link has nothing to do with this thread. Also, it still doesnt make sense to let a top guard walk when we have the cap room (which we obviously didnt use anywhere else), and then go out and draft a guard. If we had used Levitre's money to pay someone else than it would have made sense, but we didnt.

Not Levitre's money - the overall fact that the NFL will do anything to maximize profits. Nothing wrong with that...it's a business endeavor, but I disabused myself a long time ago of thinking that it harbors anything but a necessary level of sportsmanship. Count the players in, too - a closed union shop that skirts...successfully...the Taft-Hartly Act of 1947, limited number of roster spots, the rookie cap etc.

sukie
04-15-2013, 12:57 PM
If the Bills select an interior O lineman at 8... Homicidal tendencies be damned ! I ain't taking my meds anymore.

Raptor
04-15-2013, 01:27 PM
1. I dont think King has ever got the Bills 1st rounder right
2.If we do take a OG it better be Cooper
3.I would HATE it if we took an OG. WAY to high for a position of little impact

swiper
04-15-2013, 01:40 PM
If the Bills select an interior O lineman at 8... Homicidal tendencies be damned ! I ain't taking my meds anymore.

Taking your vagifem isn't going to change anything anyway.

:baby:

YardRat
04-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Good.

There are a couple of guards worth the 8 pick, and zero at QB or WR.

Extremebillsfan247
04-15-2013, 01:52 PM
8. Buffalo. Heard guard a lot over the weekend, with coach Doug Marrone figuring he can get his quarterback either at 41 overall or by moving up 10 to 15 spots to get Ryan Nassib or the QB of his dreams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130415/mock-draft-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/index.html
Every single first round selection the Bills have made since Nix took over as GM has been in for a pre-draft visit. Not one offensive lineman visited this year. This tells me that what ever King may be hearing, and from whom, is wrong.

SquishDaFish
04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
I like Warmack so Im impartial

SquishDaFish
04-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Sanity = doing what coastal says.

:lmao: hahahaha OMG thats hilarious :roflmao:

coastal
04-15-2013, 02:55 PM
:lmao: hahahaha OMG thats hilarious :roflmao:
Its funny because its true.

SquishDaFish
04-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Its funny because its true.

Keep dreaming ****tard

IlluminatusUIUC
04-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Well Pittsburgh is in a little bit of a different predicament than we are. They are a good team...every year. They can afford to do things like this. When we only have a handful of 'almost probowl' talent, we can't afford to lose them.

How many times have we traded/cut/let an RB walk, then drafted one high? Henry --> MacGahee --> Lynch --> Spiller. It's such a waste, even though Spiller is a stud. Lynch and our 1st pick back may have been better than Spiller and the 4th round pick we got for Lynch. Who did we take with that pick anyway?

We got two picks for Lynch, who turned into Hairston and Carder. Hairston is a backup, Carder didn't survive his first training camp.

Joe Fo Sho
04-15-2013, 03:27 PM
We got two picks for Lynch, who turned into Hairston and Carder. Hairston is a backup, Carder didn't survive his first training camp.

Championship.

coastal
04-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Keep dreaming ****tard

SABURZFAN
04-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Who da' King ?

ask your mom. she'll tell you. :biggrin:

SquishDaFish
04-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Self Portrait?? On second thought no because if it was you would have some kind of rainbow colored clothing

The Toe Show
04-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Has a OG ever even been selected that high? I think it would be unprecedented.

Guards are the most plentiful of football players. Selecting an OG at 8 would be a waste.

All signs point to trade down <-- Most sensible move, use P. King to move the market.

SABURZFAN
04-15-2013, 06:11 PM

Guards are the most plentiful of football players. Selecting an OG at 8 would be a waste.

not if he's a Day 1 starter.

The Toe Show
04-15-2013, 06:14 PM

All signs point to trade down <-- Most sensible move, use P. King to move the market.

"And no guard has even cracked the top 10 since the New Orleans Saints took Chris Naeole of Colorado 10th overall in 1997."

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/09/2754766/best-player-available-in-nfl-draft.html#storylink=cpy

Best player available in NFL Draft might be a guard
Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/09/2754766/best-player-available-in-nfl-draft.html#storylink=cpy
http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/09/2754766/best-player-available-in-nfl-draft.html

JoeMama
04-15-2013, 08:31 PM

If we're going BPA, I like the idea of taking G Chance Warmack over SS Kenny Vaccaro.

Warmack looks like a special talent. Possibly a best-in-a-decade prospect at G.

I will almost always take a mauler in the trenches over a finesse, luxury pick in the secondary. No brainer, really.

better days
04-16-2013, 08:36 AM
If we're going BPA, I like the idea of taking G Chance Warmack over SS Kenny Vaccaro.

Warmack looks like a special talent. Possibly a best-in-a-decade prospect at G.

I will almost always take a mauler in the trenches over a finesse, luxury pick in the secondary. No brainer, really.

Warmack is not even talked about as the clear cut best Guard in this draft.

coastal
04-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Put Warmack next to Glenn and stop the stupidity.

better days
04-16-2013, 08:57 AM

Stupidity would be to draft a guy at #8 that the Bills would have no intention of resigning after his Rookie contract is finished.

HAMMER
04-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Cooper is the better fit, more athletic and can play guard and/or center. Makes more sense to me since Wood has been so unlucky with injuries.

mjt328
04-16-2013, 02:00 PM

A team like Pittsburgh has talent everywhere. They are good/great at probably 19-20 of the 22 starting positions. So it's a lot harder for a team like that to keep every decent starter they have, and still stay under the salary cap. They lose Mike Wallace and James Harrison in one offseason. Oh well. They focus on filling two holes (WR and LB) in the draft, and they are pretty much right back where they were.

A team like Buffalo has probably 10-11 players on the same level. They've got a ton of holes already (so first of all, they have no excuse for being so pathetically close to going over the salary cap). Going into the offseason, they needed to to upgrade at QB, WR, TE and all three LB spots. That's more positions than they can fix in a single draft. Then they allow one of their few good players to walk, adding OG to the list.

Every team can expect some level of turnover each season, but the Bills are constantly in a state of recycle mode.

SABURZFAN
04-16-2013, 03:12 PM

I agree. helluva start to build a great OL. throw in the Spiller factor and there you go.

kishoph
04-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Good.

There are a couple of guards worth the 8 pick, and zero at QB or WR.

IMO, there is no such thing as a guard worth the 8th pick, let alone a couple of them. As far as drafting Geno Smith goes, how convinced can the head coach be that Geno is the right choice, when Marrone's team beat him every time they faced him.

coastal
04-16-2013, 04:59 PM
I agree. helluva start to build a great OL. throw in the Spiller factor and there you go.its not any more complicated than that...

HAMMER
04-16-2013, 06:05 PM
its not any more complicated than that...

Well sort of....hard to win w/o a QB that can run the offense behind the "great OL".