PDA

View Full Version : Nix interview on WGR

X-Era
04-15-2013, 07:46 PM
He think's 2 or 3 QB prospects will be "big time" players.

I think were very serious about a QB at 8...

Also says we will continue to look for free agents.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/73638778/john-murphy-interview-with-buddy-nix.htm

tampabay25690
04-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the update

jpdex12
04-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Also says we will continue to look for free agents.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/73638778/john-murphy-interview-with-buddy-nix.htm

even before Buddy stating this as well as his many prior blurts about being hell bent on evaluating QBs to take one this year, there is no way we pass at #8 for a QB. This decision will be the determining factor as to whether he righted this ship or helped sink it further. Would you want to take a chance on a certain QB that you felt was the one to help bring balance to the force? I wouldn't no matter what anyone thought of me grabbing a QB at #8. This is the time for him to show his cards and do it. Make or break time...

I'm comfortable with Nassib and even Barkley if either are the pick but I'm also very curious about Manuel. Totally turned off by Smith. I just have a gut feeling he is going to be a flop. I think two if not all three of the first three that I mentioned will end up being very good QBs.

capitolneal
04-15-2013, 08:44 PM
He's bluffing he wants everyone to think qb we r not going qb in first round and the team will be better for it

CoolBreeze
04-15-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm glad to hear this, I'm excited for the draft. We must take a QB at #8. Especially if Geno isn't taken 1-7. The way we've looked for the last 12+ years, if we have the pick of the draft for QB's you take it. I don't care what class it is, if you have the pick of the litter for QB's at #8, evaluate, and pick who you believe to be the best. We have to take the chance of a bust!

jimbohastle51
04-15-2013, 09:24 PM
The pick won't b qb at 8. If the bills stay at 8 and pick then millner , Jordan, or someone fell to them. A trade back seems the most likely scenario IMO. buddy is going to play it cool and try to get the most value in a trade to get the team a mid to late first and an extra second as well as a pick or two more.

better days
04-15-2013, 09:37 PM
even before Buddy stating this as well as his many prior blurts about being hell bent on evaluating QBs to take one this year, there is no way we pass at #8 for a QB. This decision will be the determining factor as to whether he righted this ship or helped sink it further. Would you want to take a chance on a certain QB that you felt was the one to help bring balance to the force? I wouldn't no matter what anyone thought of me grabbing a QB at #8. This is the time for him to show his cards and do it. Make or break time...

I'm comfortable with Nassib and even Barkley if either are the pick but I'm also very curious about Manuel. Totally turned off by Smith. I just have a gut feeling he is going to be a flop. I think two if not all three of the first three that I mentioned will end up being very good QBs.

Well, I have a gut feeling that Barkley & Smith will both bomb. Lots of drama in this draft.

gonzo1105
04-15-2013, 09:41 PM
What I found most interesting wasn't the QB talk but he essentially saying that LB is not a huge need anymore. I would expect them to take one but they won't take one early.

clumping platelets
04-15-2013, 11:28 PM
QB at #8 is a mistake

better days
04-16-2013, 12:45 AM
QB at #8 is a mistake

NOT if he turns out to be a FRANCHISE QB.

jamze132
04-16-2013, 03:36 AM
I'm glad to hear this, I'm excited for the draft. We must take a QB at #8. Especially if Geno isn't taken 1-7. The way we've looked for the last 12+ years, if we have the pick of the draft for QB's you take it. I don't care what class it is, if you have the pick of the litter for QB's at #8, evaluate, and pick who you believe to be the best. We have to take the chance of a bust!

No you don't. There is no QB in this class worthy of a top 10 pick. You don't just pick any old QB because you HAVE to. There isn't much, if any of a dropoff from the projected 1st rounders to the projected 2nd rounders. We take BPA at #8 and THEN take the best QB in RD2. Or if we are able to trade down to the lower half of RD1, take the best QB available. But no, we should not take any QB at #8 just because we need one. You can polish a turd, but at the end of the day, it's still a turd.

X-Era
04-16-2013, 05:15 AM
What I found most interesting wasn't the QB talk but he essentially saying that LB is not a huge need anymore. I would expect them to take one but they won't take one early.
I'm not a huge fan of the early round guys at LB anyways. I'd prefer a later round guy like Zaviar Gooden, Jon Bostic, Gerald Hodges, and Mike Mauti

YardRat
04-16-2013, 05:40 AM
I hope not.

swiper
04-16-2013, 05:53 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the early round guys at LB anyways. I'd prefer a later round guy like Zaviar Gooden, Jon Bostic, Gerald Hodges, and Mike Mauti

So you wouldn't have drafted Patrick Willis? LOL. Can't make sweeping statements like that. Guard, kickers.... ok. But safeties and LBs can't.

Saratoga Slim
04-16-2013, 06:19 AM
So you wouldn't have drafted Patrick Willis? LOL. Can't make sweeping statements like that. Guard, kickers.... ok. But safeties and LBs can't.

I don't think Patrick Willis is available this year. He meant he's not a fan of this year's crop.

Saratoga Slim
04-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Let's all remember it's poker time for GMs, Buddy included.

better days
04-16-2013, 06:26 AM
No you don't. There is no QB in this class worthy of a top 10 pick. You don't just pick any old QB because you HAVE to. There isn't much, if any of a dropoff from the projected 1st rounders to the projected 2nd rounders. We take BPA at #8 and THEN take the best QB in RD2. Or if we are able to trade down to the lower half of RD1, take the best QB available. But no, we should not take any QB at #8 just because we need one. You can polish a turd, but at the end of the day, it's still a turd.

Well, EVERYONE thought Kaepernick, Wilson & Dalton were not worthy of a top 10 pick either. I would trade the #8 pick for ANY of them.

Novacane
04-16-2013, 06:35 AM
No one knows whether this years QB will flop or be great. To pretend you do is stupid.

DesertFox24
04-16-2013, 06:54 AM

I want the guy from Iowa State

kingJofNYC
04-16-2013, 07:08 AM
OLB is still a huge need, no matter what Nix says. Lawson is ****, most of you will find this out over the course of the season. He does nothing well, average at best.

A guy like Dion Jordan would instantly upgrade our pass rush and ability to cover, but he won't be there at 8.

better days
04-16-2013, 07:49 AM
OLB is still a huge need, no matter what Nix says. Lawson is ****, most of you will find this out over the course of the season. He does nothing well, average at best.

A guy like Dion Jordan would instantly upgrade our pass rush and ability to cover, but he won't be there at 8.

Well, the Bills did not pay Lawson premier money. They paid him average money, so if he plays average, he will have earned his paycheck.

Night Train
04-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Well, EVERYONE thought Kaepernick, Wilson & Dalton were not worthy of a top 10 pick either. I would trade the #8 pick for ANY of them. Kapernick, maybe. Dalton and Wilson ? Nope.

justasportsfan
04-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Nix stressed leadership. From what I've heard Nassib and Wilson are really good ones.

better days
04-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Kapernick, maybe. Dalton and Wilson ? Nope.

REALLY? Would you rather draft a midget WR or a guard?

EDS
04-16-2013, 08:28 AM

You would not give up the 8th pick in this draft for Russell Wilson? You are nuts junior. I would do that in a heartbeat. Of course there is no way Seattle would agree to trade Wilson for even the first pick in this draft.

justasportsfan
04-16-2013, 08:32 AM

If I told you that one of the qb's in this years draft will throw 26 td's run for 4 td's /run for close to 500 yards with only 10 int's you wouldn't take him with the 8th ? I would.

I might agree with you on Dalton, but not Russell.

better days
04-16-2013, 08:42 AM
If I told you that one of the qb's in this years draft will throw 26 td's run for 4 td's /run for close to 500 yards with only 10 int's you wouldn't take him with the 8th ? I would.

I might agree with you on Dalton, but not Russell.

I was torn about including Dalton, but after thinking about it, I decided to because he improved in his 2nd year from his first. He will likely keep improving.

justasportsfan
04-16-2013, 09:03 AM
I was torn about including Dalton, but after thinking about it, I decided to because he improved in his 2nd year from his first. He will likely keep improving.

If I told you that a qb in this years draft MIGHT improve after 2 years would you take him with the 8th pick ? I wouldn't. He better be really good in his 1st or 2nd year if you use an 8th pick.

better days
04-16-2013, 09:12 AM
If I told you that a qb in this years draft MIGHT improve after 2 years would you take him with the 8th pick ? I wouldn't. He better be really good in his 1st or 2nd year if you use an 8th pick.

Dalton was good his first year & better in his 2nd. QBR 80.4 & 20 TDs his first year QBR 87.4 & 27 TDs his 2nd year. Led the Bengals to the playoffs both years.

In comparison. Cam Newton QBR 84.5 & 21 TDs his first year. QBR 86.2 & 19 TDs his 2nd year. FAILED to lead his team to the playoffs either year.

justasportsfan
04-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Dalton was good his first year & better in his 2nd. QBR 80.4 & 20 TDs his first year QBR 87.4 & 27 TDs his 2nd year. Led the Bengals to the playoffs both years.

In comparison. Cam Newton QBR 84.5 & 21 TDs his first year. QBR 86.2 & 19 TDs his 2nd year. FAILED to lead his team to the playoffs either year.

Dalton didn't lead his team all by himself and it wasn't Cams fault that they didn't make the playoffs. In hindsight, I would take Cam over Dalton with our 8th.

Bangarang
04-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Get ready for Barkley at 8 and a WR in the 2nd.

kingJofNYC
04-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Get ready for Barkley at 8 and a WR in the 2nd.

Anyone but him, I'd blow my brains out. Wilson, Nassib, or even a huge reach like Manuel is a better option in my book.

Bill Cody
04-16-2013, 09:48 AM

I think so too. The way he talked made me feel that a trade down is unlikely. That's my personal preference. My guess is he has 2 QB's in mind for the 8th pick. If one is there they'll take him. If not they have another 4-5 guys they would take instead.

Buddy doesn't lack for confidence, that's a fact. And he made no doubt who will be pulling the trigger on the draft. He lets everyone give their opinions then he decides.

Bill Cody
04-16-2013, 09:50 AM

By that system that eliminates Manuel. He's a project with the big upside.

SpikedLemonade
04-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Did he mention how quickly he will be retiring so we don't have to suffer any more of his incompetence?

kingJofNYC
04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Well, the Bills did not pay Lawson premier money. They paid him average money, so if he plays average, he will have earned his paycheck.
It's a question of filling out the roster with good players, not average to below average talent that will be cut in a season or two at most.

Stop gap, need a replacement asap.

Night Train
04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
You would not give up the 8th pick in this draft for Russell Wilson? You are nuts junior. I would do that in a heartbeat. Of course there is no way Seattle would agree to trade Wilson for even the first pick in this draft.

Junior ? I'm in my mid 50's. I guess that makes you 80, Gramps.

Dalton is a game manager and hit his ceiling 10 minutes into his first training camp. Smart, but limited. Trent Dilfer, anyone ? He's thrown some bad passes to lose games.

Wilson is good but is 5-10 and runs too much. Teams will eventually force him to stay in the pocket and we'll see how that works. Like the guy but we'll see long term.

better days
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Dalton is a game manager and hit his ceiling 10 minutes into his first training camp. Smart, but limited. Trent Dilfer, anyone ? He's thrown some bad passes to lose games.

Wilson is good but is 5-10 and runs too much. Teams will eventually force him to stay in the pocket and we'll see how that works. Like the guy but we'll see long term.

If Dalton hit his ceiling as you said, he would not have improved his 2nd year, but he did & I think he is likely to keep improving. I don't know how much he will improve or what his ceiling is, but it is at least high enough to lead his team to the playoffs.

better days
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
It's a question of filling out the roster with good players, not average to below average talent that will be cut in a season or two at most.

Stop gap, need a replacement asap.

Well, with the many holes on this team stop gaps are NEEDED.

EDS
04-16-2013, 12:14 PM

I feel like a gramps most days despite being just shy of 40!

I would take Wilson over any QB in this draft and Dalton over any QB in this draft save Gino Smith. Manuel has some nice attributes and I like him as a developmental prospect, but he could easily max out as a Travaris Jackson, which is why he is not in the first round discussion.

Bill Cody
04-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Dalton is a game manager and hit his ceiling 10 minutes into his first training camp.

That's harsh. It was actually a full week into his first training camp.

better days
04-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Dalton didn't lead his team all by himself and it wasn't Cams fault that they didn't make the playoffs. In hindsight, I would take Cam over Dalton with our 8th.

Of course Dalton didn't lead his team all by himself. Tom Brady & Peyton Manning didn't either.

In hindsight, I would take Newton with the #8 pick also, BUT Newton was the FIRST pick in the draft. Dalton was #35.

My point was SOME QBs drafted in the past have performed better than expected. Most people don't expect much out of this class of QBs & I'm saying I will not be surprised if a few of them perform better than most people expect.

The Jokeman
04-16-2013, 04:21 PM
It isn't debatable if Cam is a better QB than Dalton but to me Dalton's worth more, why? because by taking Dalton the Bengals were also able to acquire AJ Green and combined the two of them are better than Cam alone. I know I'm a broken record but the first word in the phrase of "franchise QB" is franchise. In other words build as strong a team as you can and then you don't have to rely solely on your QB. I mean how is it Sanchez was able to lead the Jets to two AFC Championships his first two seasons and all of a sudden can't make the playoffs, is it because he's playing worse? Nope he just has the same talent around him. I have a feeling the Bills may be targetting EJ Manuel in Round 1 as he seems very Cam Newtonesque yet think be better suited taking Coradelle Patterson and then Taylor Bray in Round 2 (even though grade him as a Round 3 prospect). As Bray is an ideal QB for the Bills with Kolb and TJax in place. As his biggest knock is he needs to develop well we can let him do that with two veterans on the roster. And if Bray fails? No biggy then take a QB in Round 1 a few years from now but you'll have a developed WR in Patterson to go with him which again still better than EJ Manuel alone IMO.